On to next year | Page 5 | The Boneyard

On to next year

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
well, at least we won't be drowning in that swill of '45:07' or 23 skidoo, or whatever low rent motto of the minute that gets fed to us mutts.
that, and the insanity of ever playing typo, are my two beefs with coach.
i like danny. and iffn coach doesn't have an exit interview with jmoney sounding in 'here are the keys, it's urs to lose' then he should bolt.
donovan, alex, corey, and real growth from adama, aj, and hawk, hope for akok (unless he bolts), and mebbe samson too, will make us forget this years team in a new york minute.
sweeet. it's a beeyootiful day today, gonna grab the bikes, head to hammy,
and burn some sage over at meigs point, since i've never thought anyone but the zags are cutting down the nets.

Orc

Reaction Score
I appreciate the sentiment, but when there are holes you have to plug them. Recruiting isn't an exact science, especially when watching high school games and you have highly skilled players versus filler. AAU should help with that, but having never seen an AAU, game I don't know if they play legit basketball or if it looks like an NBA all star game.
The recruits that weve brought in so far have been meeh. To much hype. They didnt live up to expectations

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That's a bit much. Cole did it all season long.

Eh, Cole picked his spots very well. He wasn’t really a one on one beat his guy kinda guy because he doesn’t have the athleticism to do it. But he was smart as all hell in knowing how to pick his spots.
I appreciate the sentiment, but when there are holes you have to plug them. Recruiting isn't an exact science, especially when watching high school games and you have highly skilled players versus filler. AAU should help with that, but having never seen an AAU, game I don't know if they play legit basketball or if it looks like an NBA all star game.
You have to at least give the guys a chance though. You can’t develop players if you bring in transfer guys over them. We should have 3 ball handlers in Gaffney, Floyd, and Diggins to for next year. Hawkins as a go to guy and maybe Jackson develops there. Then a very talented front court. It’s time for Hurley to coach the talent he’s recruited.

Reaction Score
This game made me really excited to get Floyd in the mix. A quick defensive stopper for guards. RJ too small and Andre is more for forwards

Reaction Score
If you call a 1st round exit after getting upset by a 12 seed doing well, then we have different expectations.
oscar t was a transfer and he should be the POY. no reason we cant have a good team if our best player, or two, are transfers.

i'm not saying we recruit over everyone every year. we arent bringing in guys to take sanogo, aj, or hawkins's starting spots next season, but that's very different then saying we shouldnt recruit over guys that have fallen out of the rotation like gaff and akok.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
oscar t was a transfer and he should be the POY. no reason we cant have a good team if our best player, or two, are transfers.

i'm not saying we recruit over everyone every year. we arent bringing in guys to take sanogo, aj, or hawkins's starting spots next season, but that's very different then saying we shouldnt recruit over guys that have fallen out of the rotation like gaff and akok.
Don't even bother, I had this discussion with him a few months ago and he's too stubborn to change his opinion. Teams like Baylor who won a championship with a transfer as their best player don't count since they're not UConn. And UConn teams led by transfers don't count unless they win a championship

Reaction Score
It doesn't help to have guys who can shoot if they don't take shots. For huge stretches of the game, our best shooters weren't even trying to take shots.

Reaction Score
It doesn't help to have guys who can shoot if they don't take shots. For huge stretches of the game, our best shooters weren't even trying to take shots.
On nbadraft.net, they have Hawkins as the 11 pick in the 2023 draft. Seems crazy to me lol

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
On nbadraft.net, they have Hawkins as the 11 pick in the 2023 draft. Seems crazy to me lol
Not really. He has the talent. He just need to put it together. This off-season and in game strategy next year will be telling

Reaction Score
I’ve always believed in college you need 2 PGs that play together a lot as well
As spell eachother. A la 99 with KEA and Moore. Different skill sets but both can handle the ball and run the offense. Especially when most wing players in college don’t have strong enough handles to bring the ball up under duress. I look forward go Diggins developing, but another true PG is absolutely necessary if Cole does leave. Floyd, Gaff and AJ cannot be the answers there

Reaction Score
As point guard continues to be an afterthought for Hurley, we are going to struggle. I wouldn't be surprised if we're a bubble team unless a couple of the young guys take a leap forward. If we can't find a solid PG in the transfer portal, the season could get ugly.

PG: Transfer/Diggins/Gaffney
SG: Hawkins/Floyd
SF: Jackson
PF: Samson/Akok/Karaban
C: Sanogo/Clingan

We're going to be an inexperienced team. Jackson and Sanogo will be the only ones with significant experience. At least we should be able to space the floor better and give Sanogo more room to operate. I don't see much production coming from Clingan or Karaban but I'm excited about Samson and I think Floyd will be a shot in the arm for this team. I don't love that Jackson is the only wing. Teams with a couple of 6'6" strong SFs will be a bad matchup for us.
From what I’ve seen, we don’t have a big to do a worthwhile hard hedge. Will we continue that defense? We have some good shotblockers, but not on ball. Will we figure out how to use their talents? I just don’t see us matching up well with any 5 out offenses with our lineups.

Reaction Score
I hope Hawkins majes a huge leap! Not only as a shooter but as a creater as well. Otherwise we may be doomed next year.
I hope Hawkins majes a huge leap! Not only as a shooter but as a creater as well. Otherwise we may be doomed next year.
Agree, need Hawkins to improve. He had periods where his ball handling and hands (catching passes) seemed off, and that might have impacted confidence on shooting

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Don't even bother, I had this discussion with him a few months ago and he's too stubborn to change his opinion. Teams like Baylor who won a championship with a transfer as their best player don't count since they're not UConn. And UConn teams led by transfers don't count unless they win a championship

I don't think UConn wins in 2014 without the contributions from Kromah.

There's 0 reason to not use the portal to our advantage, we have a high profile, play in a top league, and have pieces in Hawkins, Jackson, and Sanogo that should be attractive to a PG.

Reaction Score
Do Ray Allen or Rashad Anderson have sons? Is Bronny James still open for recruiting?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Maybe, I just haven’t seen us have success relying on transfers as our best guys. Best transfers I’ve seen us have success with our guys who are small pieces. Like Kromah and Miller. Guys like Rodney, Terry, Gibbs, etc were all very frustrating to watch.

I’m in the minority here but I don’t want to give up on those guys just yet. They gave us big time play when they got a lot of playing time. I’m hopeful that if they were forced to step up they’d do so and they have the talent and athleticism to do it. I wouldn’t want to bring in a high floor low ceiling guy to play over them. That’s just my personal opinion.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
What’s the farthest a transfer led team has taken us? Have we even made it to a sweet sixteen? That’s cool Baylor won one championship with them. We have 4 with our formula. Homegrown guards.

Bazz Boatright
Kemba Bazz
AJ Kemba
Marcus should’ve played with AJ (damn laptops)
Taliek and Ben

The list goes on. If only Jalen could’ve came in a year earlier to play with Boatright and Alterique could’ve stayed healthy enough for them to play together.

Gaffney, Diggins, and Floyd won’t be this list (maybe Diggins and Floyd later we’ll see) but we have enough talent where they don’t need to be the best guards in the country. I would happily accept freshman year Gaffney where he didn’t get a lot of pt until he was forced to start and played great with Bouknight.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He gets his handle together and becomes the go to guy on our team I could see that. Handles has to be one of the easiest things to improve IMO. Look at Jaylen Brown.

Reaction Score
What’s the farthest a transfer led team has taken us? Have we even made it to a sweet sixteen? That’s cool Baylor won one championship with them. We have 4.
But that's my point, is UConn supposed to be high and mighty program that's too good to take transfers? Why does it matter that UConn hasn't done it when there's dozens of schools making runs with transfers over the past decade? Times have changed, you can't be stuck in the past

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
But that's my point, is UConn supposed to be high and mighty program that's too good to take transfers? Why does it matter that UConn hasn't done it when there's dozens of schools making runs with transfers over the past decade? Times have changed, you can't be stuck in the past
We have been taking transfers though that’s the thing. It has not yielded us great results. I can’t remember our last team that wasn’t transfer led. Transfers should be a piece, not the star.

Cole and Tyrese for all the great things they did this year we’re extremely limited. A guy like Tyrese took away from the development of Jordan Hawkins for what? A 1st round upset?

Reaction Score
We have been taking transfers though that’s the thing. It has not yielded us great results. I can’t remember our last team that wasn’t transfer led. Transfers should be a piece, not the star.

Cole and Tyrese for all the great things they did this year we’re extremely limited. A guy like Tyrese took away from the development of Jordan Hawkins for what? A 1st round upset?
We were literally one of 3 teams in the country to not take a transfer last offseason. Why you choose to use a sample size of 1 (UConn) over 356 (every other D1 team) is beyond me. But yes transfers are terrible, maybe the other 356 teams will catch on and stop taking them. This argument is bizarre, even for someone as detached from reality as you

Reaction Score

None of our transfers took away from our freshmens developement. Hawkins played 15 minutes a game and if he played better there was more available for him. Diggins couldn’t even earn the backup pg job so it wasn’t Cole keeping him from getting minutes. Johnson had no opportunity because of guys we recruited out of high school ahead of him

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom