On to next year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

On to next year

Reaction Score
Seasons over so I can say this… I fully expect Gaffney and Akok to transfer out. Gaffney really isn’t good enough to be a serious contributor, and Akok… I really don’t know. I just think he needs a fresh start, I don’t think Hurleys opinion of what he is will change.

We take a step back next year in order to take 2 steps forward in 2023. I’m ok with Cole and Martin moving on, have to let the kids play and develop. Having an experienced Sool, Hawkins, floyd, Karaban, Johnson and Clingan in 2023 is worth the lumps in 22 for me. Even with Martin and Cole back, I only see a bubble type team (unless something unforeseen occurs). But I see I final 4 contender in 23 with that same griup with experience.

Reaction Score
They have pieces next year for sure. A grad transfer or two and anything can happen.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Can anyone say with a straight face that next years team will be better than this? I don’t see any world where next years team wins any games in the tournament. Doubt they even make it.
We need to kill the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of Dan Hurley the coach.

Dan Hurley the GM of this team needs to recruit a more balanced roster. He has acknowledged this and I am confident he will do better. More guards please.
I have zero against Dan. I love the culture… BUT… they lack discipline, game IQ, shooters, guys that can take someone off the dribble, and good one-on-one defenders (imho, too slow).
When we hit shots, we look pretty good. If not, I see moping and a stagnant offense. That often turns into a frenetic defense that usually loses a shooter.
Whatever happens next year, I’ll be back hoping for #5.

Reaction Score
Didnt develop the bench at all. Polley hit some big shots but was more or less the same. Not sure what the deal was with Akok the last handful of games. Outside of Gaffney, he didnt bother with anyone else.
So true, these are top recruits and they won’t be ready, the rotation players didn’t lock down when it counted. What was the benefit in the end?

Reaction Score
Love the optimism but Hawkins averaged under 6 a game and Jackson can’t shoot. Tough to avoid hot takes right now but Hurley has had plenty of time to construct a roster that isn’t heinously offensively inept and we’ve yet to see one. Hopefully they figure things out but I’m not holding my breath
What you just said is what worries me. The guy is stubborn. His sideline antics reinforce that. The question is whether he is capable of self-reflection and deviating from his carefully constructed safe zone. That means pursuing portal players and taking some time to critique his in game coaching decisions and game prep. He's motivated and works his butt off but some changes need to be made and it has to come from him.

Reaction Score
ball handlers = success. WIthout RJ our next PG up is gaffney and ......... two HUGE question marks. My confidence level isn't exactly.. high.

Reaction Score
We don't know but they should be better. If we don't make the tournament next year we might be looking around for another coach.
I say he has thru 2023. I see next year as a recalibration year, not that it has to be , but Hurley decision making has forced it to be. Would be nice to get some sophomore/junior transfers that can grow with our freshmen and inexperienced sophomores. I’ll take anyone who can make lay ups or open 3s…never knew such an ask would be a struggle from scholarship athletes

Reaction Score
Just about all of the suggestions of transfers and expectations of guys making great leaps forward were made at this time last year. At this point I see no reason to assume that many or any of these things will happen. AJ had a year to work on his shot and that stroke will never be effective from 3. Coach had all year to bring in guys but told us he liked what he had already. Wishful thinking is great but until Coach indicates a change in approach there's really no reason to expect one.

Reaction Score
ball handlers = success. WIthout RJ our next PG up is gaffney and ......... two HUGE question marks. My confidence level isn't exactly.. high.
We might have to replace our first team all BE PG, our best defensive player / PF and our third best player / SF.

Can’t wait to see who the all conference-level transfers we bring in that will make us even better are!

Reaction Score
Seasons over so I can say this… I fully expect Gaffney and Akok to transfer out. Gaffney really isn’t good enough to be a serious contributor, and Akok… I really don’t know. I just think he needs a fresh start, I don’t think Hurleys opinion of what he is will change.

We take a step back next year in order to take 2 steps forward in 2023. I’m ok with Cole and Martin moving on, have to let the kids play and develop. Having an experienced Sool, Hawkins, floyd, Karaban, Johnson and Clingan in 2023 is worth the lumps in 22 for me. Even with Martin and Cole back, I only see a bubble type team (unless something unforeseen occurs). But I see I final 4 contender in 23 with that same griup with experience.
You make a lot of sense. Should be a fun team with growing pains. Heck, young teams like Marquette and Creighton exceeded expectations and made the tournament.

Unfortunately, if Hawkins makes the jump most expect next year, he might not be around for that '23 team.

Reaction Score
Whaley playing out of position points to a bigger picture of stubbornness of our coach. It was clear as day from day 1 that Whaley and Sanogo are both 5s. He forced a round peg through a square hole. If he recognized it earlier and developed better chemistry with our lineups he would put them in a better position to succeed.
I can’t harp enough on this but Akok was reason for this ,this year. His development has been such a mystery.

Reaction Score
I see Hawkins, Ajax and Sampson taking a leap next year. If Sanogo can lose like 10 pounds and become more explosive he'll be definite first team BE selection. If Cole doesn't come back, we need to get a PG from the portal. That's a sweet 16 team in my opinion
Do you think Rasool Diggins will finally live up to his expectations? I know it wasn't this year, but now that he's a sophomore...

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The reason I’m hopeful for next year is that the roster should just fit better and have better ball handlers. Our experienced guys were EXTREMELY limited this year. Our young guys were talented, but Hurley refused to develop them and take the growing pains that would come from them being young. Next year he will have no choice.

Akok is a real stretch 4 unlike Whaley. Gaffney, even though he’s no where near as consistent as Cole, does have the talent to play well when he’s confident. Maybe being forced to be a starting PG can help that. Hawkins is an NBA 2 guard. Hopefully Floyd and Diggins can provide some much needed ballhandling.

We will go from leaning on Cole, Martin, and Sanogo to Hawkins, Jackson, and Sanogo. The latter 3 have a MUCH higher ceiling. It’s just about Hurley getting them there.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We had nobody this year who can get their own shot. Never seen anything like that from a UConn team. Even the Ollie era had a Jalen Adam’s. Incredible to think we were a 5 seed with such a bad offensive roster.

Reaction Score
Also, I do NOT want to bring in a transfer. Develop the talented players that we have dammit. Why even recruit guys if we’re just going to bring in transfers to play over them.
I know you must be kidding because we need to bring in at least TWO transfers. Gaff, akok, and springs, in particular, have all been here 3+ years with very little to show for it. time to move on.

Reaction Score
The offense would have been more than fine in a different system. The motion offense we try to run needs to be thrown in the garbage
Disagree. The starting 5 would not have been fine offensively in any system.

Reaction Score
You sound like a true Mets fan -- the constant optimist! Except you're always disappointed because you're expecting too much.

We don't have any ball handler next season. Maybe Jackson? Diggins couldn't even see the court this year and Floyd redshirted, even though we badly needed another guard. Gaffney only saw spot minutes because his play regressed. I don't think hitting the portal for your starting point guard is necessarily the best way to win.

My one hope is that Cole is sufficiently angry about how the season ended that he's going to change his mind and come back. Maybe Martin too. But based on the post-game conference, I don't think that's happening.
Love Cole but he’s not a point guard. if He’s our starting point next year and AS is our focus on offense ( and still a black hole when the ball goes into him) the team won’t get any further than this year.

Love RJ, love Martin but time to move on.

Reaction Score
Your argument is Adama is the fourth best player on this team. OK.
AS seems like a player who puts up stats but limits the team upside. All Big East stats but doesn’t do the little things to make the team better due to limited BBIQ.

definately In the pros, but even in college, it’s generally not a winning proposition to build your offense around a center.

Reaction Score
I see Hawkins, Ajax and Sampson taking a leap next year. If Sanogo can lose like 10 pounds and become more explosive he'll be definite first team BE selection. If Cole doesn't come back, we need to get a PG from the portal. That's a sweet 16 team in my opinion
Akok?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom