On Sanyia's Defense of Ariel Hearn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

On Sanyia's Defense of Ariel Hearn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As someone who watched several of Ossining's games over Chong's last 2 HS years I'd say she was equally adept from the arc and on the drive. She could be a little streaky on her 3's but hit them from well behind the arc. IMO her best skill was penetration. She could split defenses at will and scored as much from the line after drawing contact than in made baskets. I remember one game where she hit 20 straight ft's in the second half, most coming off drives in the lane. She was so good at it that I thought she'd fit in at Notre Dame better than at UConn. LOL

And her scoring, while impressive, didn't keep her from involving her team. She averaged about 10 assists a game her senior year, and that would have been nearer to 15 if her team mates shot better. She was, and is an excellent passer.

IMO her problems at UConn have been in learning to play without the ball, learning to play defense, learning to play in a half court offense & learning to believe that she belongs on the court with her team mates. Ossining played a transition offense, always pushing the ball. In her first year at UConn and even early this year she was put into games in the second half after Geno had shut down UConn's transition game. On defense, her trouble keeping a player in front of her has been common to many UConn guards. Taurasi, Moore & Hartley were also criticized for their MTM defense. They learned (well Taurasi never really did) and Chong will also. I also think she defers too much to her team mates and in return, they tend to ignore her on the court. I don't mean this as a criticism to anyone but I've often seen her wide open on the perimeter and no one even looks her way. I am hopeful that is starting to change. Saniya has been much more assertive lately. I am of the opinion that she will reach a tipping point where she will realize that she has as much talent as Jefferson and will not hesitate to display it. When that happens UConn fans will see what an amazing talent she was and still is.

Excellent, excellent post Alydar………Couldn’t agree more with what you said and how you said it! I too saw Saniya play many times in high school and have been disappointed that she has rarely shown her true capabilities to the vast majority of UConn fans, including most Boneyarders. Geno and the coaches know how talented Saniya is….hopefully she’ll soon be able to consistently display those talents in games….not just practice. Experience, comfort (a feeling of I belong) and confidence are the keys!

For a month or more, I’ve been considering posting a thread trying to explain that what we UConn fans see is not the real Saniya. We’ve only had very slight glimpses….the bullet drive to the hoop for 2 a few games ago….the drive to the hoop and BOUNCE pass, in a flash, to an open teammate under the basket…..the drive and teardrop for 2 a few games ago…..the outside shooting against Memphis and Stanford.

I think you have “hit the nail on the head” with your accurate and knowledgeable explanation, Alydar. Again…Great Post!

Reaction Score
Sonya is a great player and given the high expectations at UConn, very underrated. She is extremely smart and sometimes hedges in ways that make her look bad on defense. What I really like about her is her determination and fearless nature. She has shown us the ability to "play herself" out of a slump. This is something not many can do because they lack the mental fortitude. She is a warrior and a true Husky.

Reaction Score
As someone who watched several of Ossining's games over Chong's last 2 HS years I'd say she was equally adept from the arc and on the drive. She could be a little streaky on her 3's but hit them from well behind the arc. IMO her best skill was penetration. She could split defenses at will and scored as much from the line after drawing contact than in made baskets. I remember one game where she hit 20 straight ft's in the second half, most coming off drives in the lane. She was so good at it that I thought she'd fit in at Notre Dame better than at UConn. LOL

And her scoring, while impressive, didn't keep her from involving her team. She averaged about 10 assists a game her senior year, and that would have been nearer to 15 if her team mates shot better. She was, and is an excellent passer.

IMO her problems at UConn have been in learning to play without the ball, learning to play defense, learning to play in a half court offense & learning to believe that she belongs on the court with her team mates. Ossining played a transition offense, always pushing the ball. In her first year at UConn and even early this year she was put into games in the second half after Geno had shut down UConn's transition game. On defense, her trouble keeping a player in front of her has been common to many UConn guards. Taurasi, Moore & Hartley were also criticized for their MTM defense. They learned (well Taurasi never really did) and Chong will also. I also think she defers too much to her team mates and in return, they tend to ignore her on the court. I don't mean this as a criticism to anyone but I've often seen her wide open on the perimeter and no one even looks her way. I am hopeful that is starting to change. Saniya has been much more assertive lately. I am of the opinion that she will reach a tipping point where she will realize that she has as much talent as Jefferson and will not hesitate to display it. When that happens UConn fans will see what an amazing talent she was and still is.
Alydar, where have you been?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
On the eve of the big games, it's always wonderful to read the marvelous insights along with the entertaining fantasies of the BY pundits so that we can get the real poop on what's happening on the court. Two pennies in:

On Meghan. She does feel it's her job as a an ex-Husky and ex-UConn coach to help mold each generation of UConn talent in her own small way. She is definitely not going to say "Great pass from Chong" as Doris does over on ESPN, and she will pick on the nits for every UConn player. She certainly has a lot of knowledge about the inner workings of the team and what is expected of the players. My own chief gripe about her is that she also feels she needs to officiate the games and start making all the "missed calls" on UConn players. It's not her job, half the time she's just wrong, and she should just zip it.

It's also interesting to get another round from the Chong Choppers that just keeps getting funnier. Now we learn that she got "benched" after the Stanford game, even though she played 27 minutes in the next contest, then 23, then 20, and she's been averaging more than 20 minutes a game on the year. Those bench splinters are really slowing her down, and they're likely the reason for all the problems.

That of course leads to the next funny one continuously pushed by these learned Chong Choppers that her defense was so bad for most of the year until she suddenly learned how to get her hands up and move a bit in the last few games. Hilarious! Anyone who has had any experience with Geno over the past few decades has gotta be howling over the claim that he would keep the confused defenseless soph out there for 20 minutes a game. You can ask Stewie and Morgan (and Sadie) what happens when you don't give the effort and don't play D. But no, we're told 7 times 7 times 7 times a thread that she was constantly being blown by and playing stinky D. You can of course point to all of the those first halves in tight games when Saniya came in and the opponents got shut down and the Husky lead ballooned. But that of course is just pure luck, just as the fact that a team that is on its way to historic defensive marks has been doing it despite having had defenseless Saniya playing more than half the game for them. Priceless!

Then there's that tendency to utter no peeps if Moriah is roaming a little too much and her player is wide open for a 3. Or if Kia makes a dumb foul as the shot clock is running down or gets confused about who she's covering, not a peep. Saniya herds her player the correct way for the post players to hopefully squash (as they've been doing all year), suddenly it's more proof she can't play D. Obviously from the stats, the guards have all been doing a sterling job, but only one still gets put through the Chopper.

Finally, although we have all learned that Chong forgot to shoot after HS and that always flat shot of hers (flat in November, flat in February) is just bad, she somehow has managed to shoot 52% since the UCLA game back before Christmas. That's 52% for both FG% and 3-pt FG%. And more than half those shots have been from behind the arc. Lordy, Saniya, what do the Choppers want from you? 60%? 70%? Do you need to be perfect before they put down their grinding axes?

And yeah, I'm one of those local Chong fans that can't properly back the UConn team because we can't see all those fantastically imagined f-ups that other BYers see her make every 7 seconds. Had the same feeling about the Conlon carpers way back when, and yes, like the Choppers they always said that we couldn't see things properly or didn't get what UConn needed, even when you showed them the stats. They always love their gut feelings more.

Maybe tonight we'll get lucky again with the Chongsta on the floor. Go Saniya! Go UConn! Pluck the Gamecocks!

Reaction Score
Well, Saniya got 16 minutes, three fewer than Nurse. But the fact that she was on the court for so long says it all as far as the coaches trusting her. Her stat sheet is pretty thin but she covered the C guards pretty well and on offense she had Mitchell running all over the court chasing her. Things like that don't show up on stat sheets. He slash into the paint and catch and shoot with Mitchell on her was beautiful.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Give Saniya her Props. I was going to start a new thread. When Saniya entered tonight's game at the 12:55 mark, the score was 18-15 SC, and Mitchell had 8 points. When Saniya came out of the game 6 minutes later at the 6:55 mark, the score was 28-20, and Mitchell had zero points. Enough said.

Reaction Score
Give Saniya her Props. I was going to start a new thread. When Saniya entered tonight's game at the 12:55 mark, the score was 18-15 SC, and Mitchell had 8 points. When Saniya came out of the game 6 minutes later at the 6:55 mark, the score was 28-20, and Mitchell had zero points. Enough said.

Well said Aluminny69. Second half................SC scores the first 6 pts, cutting our lead to 10 pts......................the under 16 min timeout occurs.........Saniya comes in, boom, we turn it back around again and pull away! What's that statistic called that is kept on all the players + or - for the minutes they are in there?? I'll bet Saniya's + score was right up there at or near the top. Good job Saniya and GREAT Win Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
Chong looked pretty comfortable out there against top competition. Definitely did not look like there was any drop off when she came in. Nice to know we have 3 great reliable guards on this team, and we'll have them together for one more year. We'll miss KML and her daggers, and Kiah's emphatic rejections next year, but next year's team is going to be pretty insanely talented.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Same old, same old. Saniya comes in and a struggling UConn team suddenly is off and flying and the opponent stops scoring. Same old back in December, same old now. Obviously just a freak coincidence once more because of the learned postings on the BY that have assured us for months that Saniya was a liability on defense all along. But maybe the Huskies use this freakish kind of luck to help ride to another NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom