On Sanyia's Defense of Ariel Hearn | The Boneyard

On Sanyia's Defense of Ariel Hearn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At the 9:03 point of the first half Ariel Hearn drove by Sanyia. Meghan said Sanyia got lucky because the post players were there to alter the shot. Meghan then showed a replay and said that Sanyia needs to improve her defense because it happens too often that players drive past her.

I think Sanyia made a smart play in this instance. The scouting report must have been to inhibit Hearn from going right, which she did. Earlier in the game Kia was guarding Ariel and did the same thing, she forced her to go left. Both Sanyia and Kia were playing to Hearn's right front so she could only go left.

Meghan also made a comment about Kiah that confused me. Kiah passed the ball to Saniya who made a three. Meghan thought she would have passed the ball to Nurse who was open in the corner. The problem is Kia was to Kiah,s back and Sanyia was open in front of her.

I like Meghan and prefer her as an analyst over most others. I do disagree with her on these two plays.

Reaction Score
Meghan has had it out for Saniya all year! She started in the Stanford game with critizing Saniya"s defense when Jefferson and Nurse played just as bad! When she drained 8-8 from the 3 point line in the last 2 1/2 games (first half of the Memphis game) it's easy to complement a player, you really have no choice. She is the worst color commentator in sports!

Reaction Score
Justin, go back and view the games it speaks for itself. If you don't want to then keep on being the bad comedian that you are!

Reaction Score
At the 9:03 point of the first half Ariel Hearn drove by Sanyia. Meghan said Sanyia got lucky because the post players were there to alter the shot. Meghan then showed a replay and said that Sanyia needs to improve her defense because it happens too often that players drive past her.

I think Sanyia made a smart play in this instance. The scouting report must have been to inhibit Hearn from going right, which she did. Earlier in the game Kia was guarding Ariel and did the same thing, she forced her to go left. Both Sanyia and Kia were playing to Hearn's right front so she could only go left.

Meghan also made a comment about Kiah that confused me. Kiah passed the ball to Saniya who made a three. Meghan thought she would have passed the ball to Nurse who was open in the corner. The problem is Kia was to Kiah,s back and Sanyia was open in front of her.

I like Meghan and prefer her as an analyst over most others. I do disagree with her on these two plays.

Meg is a former player and a successful analyst. I'm glad she offers her insight into what's happening. As far as having it in for Saniya per another poster, thank goodness Geno makes his decisions on what he sees and doesn't consult with the BY experts!

Reaction Score
I'm not a former basketball player or a "SUCCESFUL ANALYST" she as run roughshot over Chong all year. Go and watch the games and listen.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Meg is a former player and a successful analyst. I'm glad she offers her insight into what's happening. As far as having it in for Saniya per another poster, thank goodness Geno makes his decisions on what he sees and doesn't consult with the BY experts!
Former player and former UConn assistant coach. She has a bit of insight to what Geno might think of a certain play. Having said that, she's not necessarily The Word, IMO. I've disagreed with her opinions here and there but, by and large, I find her comments very helpful in helping people understand the finer points of the game.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I believe she is also a former assistant coach for Geno....

Reaction Score

And I am glad the players try to execute Geno's game plan and not the color commenters. I know Meg is a former player and a good analyst but I do think she was wrong in her assessment of the Saniya play referenced in the OP. I agree she doesn't have it in for Saniya, what possible reason could she have for that.

Reaction Score
Go back and listen to each game starting with Stanford, she is downright mean spirited towards Chong. Ask her why!

Reaction Score
Saniya does lose her focus on players she's guarding now and then. It's happened several times- TBH.

Need to work on that Saniya ;-)

Reaction Score
And I believe she as beat on Chong unnecessarily througout the year.
Chong is an extremely talented player. She has also struggled this year. IMO has played way below her potential. She appears to be recovering at a very important time in the season and may be a key player down the stretch. Meghan hasn't said anything undeserved that I've seen.

Reaction Score
Pal pa, why bother? If they want to stick up for Meghan...fine. if the care to watch the games they will see. IUn one game C

Reaction Score
Chong threw a pass to Stokes and Stokes turned it over..Meghan blamed Chong for the pass. I kid you not!
Watch the games and listen.

Reaction Score
Pal pa, why bother? If they want to stick up for Meghan...fine. if the care to watch the games they will see. IUn one game C
Well I was only questioning her analysis of two first half plays in the Memphis game. I didn't see anything in the posts that either agree or disagree with what she said. It is my opinion that Saniya was executing a game plan since Nurse was guarding her the same way. I wasn't saying anything bad about Meghan, I just saw the play a different way. The replies to the OP are all about Saniya's play over the course of the year, none about the play I mentioned.

Reaction Score
Well I was only questioning her analysis of two first half plays in the Memphis game. I didn't see anything in the posts that either agree or disagree with what she said. It is my opinion that Saniya was executing a game plan since Nurse was guarding her the same way. I wasn't saying anything bad about Meghan, I just saw the play a different way. The replies to the OP are all about Saniya's play over the course of the year, none about the play I mentioned.

That's fine , trust me being a fan of Saniya's and watching almost everyone of her high school basketball games, Meghan as been way overboard with her criticism of Saniya's play.

Reaction Score
That's fine , trust me being a fan of Saniya's and watching almost everyone of her high school basketball games, Meghan as been way overboard with her criticism of Saniya's play.
Maybe it'd be educational for the rest of us who didn't see her play in high school to describe how she played. Did she shoot mostly treys? Was she good driving to the basket?

I wouldn't let Meghan's critiques bother me if I were you. I think she sincerely wants her to be the player she hopes she can be. (I think it's called "tough love")

PS: Love that gal! (Saniya)

Last edited:

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
As a color commentator,she is paid to give insight,opinion,and expertise.Whether we agree or disagree,it is her job to find something to analyze and comment on,whether she feels it is outstanding or lacking.It is hard,to find flaws in this team,but,it is her job to point out any flaw she sees, or feels is there.It may seem she "has it out" for one individual,but in reality,there is not much about this team,that you can focus on,as a flaw.
Chong is making some mistakes,partly,because she is a sophomore,partly, because she has had to find her confidence again,partly,because she is still on a learning curve.
The important thing,is,that the coaching staff has and will recognize the flaws of every player,and will address them at the proper time.It really little matters,what a color commentator thinks or says,in thre big picture.

Reaction Score

I'm not an X's & O's guy but in a half court defense situation aren't the guards supposed to turn it over to the big's at some point? That's how Kiah gets about half her blocks. I didn't see the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom