On Sanyia's Defense of Ariel Hearn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

On Sanyia's Defense of Ariel Hearn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chong threw a pass to Stokes and Stokes turned it over..Meghan blamed Chong for the pass. I kid you not!
Watch the games and listen.
I think I remember this pass. Kiah was surrounded by 3 defenders at the time, unable to turn or put the ball on the floor.

Reaction Score
Meghan criticizes passes into the post a lot. I think she also often looks for the less obvious problems - no sense repeatedly commenting on the obvious. I sometimes disagree with her analysis but I haven't felt she was biased against Chong. Perhaps her comments are more focused on Chong's defense because Geno has made such an issue of it. And if I recall correctly, she also complimented Chong several times on her defense in recent games, though sometimes fans may only remember what they perceive as unjustified criticism.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In UCONN's offense not all passes into the post are made by guards. Stewie threw one away at the start of the Memphis game.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm not an expert either (far from it), but my understanding is that on defense, the optimal solution is always for the guard to keep her man in front of her. That isn't always possible, so defenses plan to help, and yes, part of defense is forcing the dribbler to go to her weaker side if she is going to get by at all. Any use of help defenders distorts the defense and leaves somebody open, so the idea is to need help as infrequently as possible, and to plan the help for minimal distortion when it must occur.

So yes, both Kia and Saniya may have been executing the game plan by forcing Hearn to her less preferred side, but it would have been better if they had, by themselves, stopped any penetration at all. But nobody can do that all the time against a talented offensive player.

Reaction Score
That's fine , trust me being a fan of Saniya's and watching almost everyone of her high school basketball games, Meghan as been way overboard with her criticism of Saniya's play.
I think we all have our favorites and tend to overlook their shortcomings as we focus on their strengths. Meghan has been critical of every UConn player. Perhaps she has been more critical of Saniya than most, but it seems to me that Saniya's performance, particularly early in the season warranted criticism compared to her teammates. Remember, her performance is judged in comparison to Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, KML etc and not the average NCAA player. She is burdened with high expectations at UConn.

You'll notice that the walk-ons are rarely criticized because it is not expected that they perform at the level of the #1 in the nation players. Saniya is a recruited scholarship player. That puts her in the highest category of players. Being criticized is in some ways a badge of honor on this team.

I think you're being overly sensitive to criticism of Saniya's performance. I'd expect that from a person with the handle Ossining Pride, and that's OK. I admire Saniya greatly. She has not given up and her hard work is now starting to pay dividends. Many in her position would have cashed in their chips and moved on. Not Saniya, she is determined to succeed as a member of the best team in Women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Go back and listen to each game starting with Stanford, she is downright mean spirited towards Chong. Ask her why!

DEAR MR. CHONG- Yes, Meg Culmo has been critical of Saniya, as every 'expert' on the Boneyard has also been critical of Stewie, Mo, Morgan and all the kids on the team at one time or another. We often DO make criticisms that may appear to be personal- look at all the bull%$#@ directed at KML earlier this year- but I assure you they are not. We only want the best for each and every young lady on our team, and when we see them playing below their abilities or messing up, we open our big yaps. Sometimes it's appropriate and correct, sometimes it's not, but almost always it is made with a constructive and supportive intent. Go Huskies! Go Saniya!
SINCERELY,
ONE UCONN FAN

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's fine , trust me being a fan of Saniya's and watching almost everyone of her high school basketball games, Meghan as been way overboard with her criticism of Saniya's play.
And there's your problem. You are a Chong fan instead of a UCONN fan. So your opinion really doesn't hold much weight.

We've had problems with a few of these "specific player" fans. If "their player" isn't getting the required respect and playing time and anointing that they think they deserve, then Geno and everyone else has it in for "their player" or are idiots and know nothing about basketball.

It's sad really. I suppose if it's your daughter or something like that I could understand (wouldn't agree with you, but would understand) other than that, it's a little weird.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
At the 9:03 point of the first half Ariel Hearn drove by Sanyia. Meghan said Sanyia got lucky because the post players were there to alter the shot. Meghan then showed a replay and said that Sanyia needs to improve her defense because it happens too often that players drive past her.

I think Sanyia made a smart play in this instance. The scouting report must have been to inhibit Hearn from going right, which she did. Earlier in the game Kia was guarding Ariel and did the same thing, she forced her to go left. Both Sanyia and Kia were playing to Hearn's right front so she could only go left.
I remember this play. Have to agree with Meghan on this one. Chong not only let her get by but kinda gave up on it. It's one thing to push the player left or right, but to let her drive right down the gut of the defense. I don't think that is in the game plan. She got beat, it happens. Jefferson got beat earlier in the game too on a drive. It happens. They are playing against other Div 1 players.

Meghan also made a comment about Kiah that confused me. Kiah passed the ball to Saniya who made a three. Meghan thought she would have passed the ball to Nurse who was open in the corner. The problem is Kia was to Kiah,s back and Sanyia was open in front of her.
Here I agree with you. Stokes' pass out to Chong was fine. Chong was hot, might as well get her the ball. AND it worked. Always a decent play if it works. ;)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
There HAS been a lot of criticism on this board of Saniya, some warranted and a great deal unwarranted. The great majority of us, however, have said all along that 1) Saniya has a tremendous amount of talent and is capable of being an excellent player for UConn and that 2) for whatever reason, she had not been able to show that talent, whether it was because she was overwhelmed by and overly-defferential to the talent around her, or whatever. However, recently she has shown that, whatever her inhibiting problem may have been, she seems to have overcome it and is finally playing the kind of ball that almost all of us have been hoping to see. I am personally delighted, and I am quite sure that almost everyone who follows the Huskies is also. In the Memphis game she was tremendous. I am glad she is a Husky.

Reaction Score
I know that the point of this post is Saniya's defense but..... re Saniya: she's getting better, re Meghan: she's not. Her analysis and comments remind me of the movie " Groundhog Day".

Reaction Score
image.png

Found myself saying this the other day while listening to the game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think we all have our favorites and tend to overlook their shortcomings as we focus on their strengths. Meghan has been critical of every UConn player. Perhaps she has been more critical of Saniya than most, but it seems to me that Saniya's performance, particularly early in the season warranted criticism compared to her teammates. Remember, her performance is judged in comparison to Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, KML etc and not the average NCAA player. She is burdened with high expectations at UConn.

You'll notice that the walk-ons are rarely criticized because it is not expected that they perform at the level of the #1 in the nation players. Saniya is a recruited scholarship player. That puts her in the highest category of players. Being criticized is in some ways a badge of honor on this team.

I think you're being overly sensitive to criticism of Saniya's performance. I'd expect that from a person with the handle Ossining Pride, and that's OK. I admire Saniya greatly. She has not given up and her hard work is now starting to pay dividends. Many in her position would have cashed in their chips and moved on. Not Saniya, she is determined to succeed as a member of the best team in Women's basketball.
Very well said. I would like to add a few things.

I'm not sure if it was Mr. Ossining, but when Geno benched Saniya after the Stanford game in favor of Kia Nurse, it may have been him (or a few others) who said it was an awful move by the coach and that it destroyed Saniya's confidence. I want to address that first.

Her defense WAS horrible. Arms were not up, lateral movement was very slow, and if it's clear to even a schlub like me, obviously Geno saw it and made the correct adjustment. Watch Kia Nurse play defense - She is literally always moving, bouncing, diving, and harassing the player she's defending. Saniya's defense has improved indeed, but Kia's is still better.

And I want to add that Stokes was also pulled from the starting lineup in favor of Tuck. Different reasons, but it happens. I've said it many times. This is not T-league where everyone gets to play no matter what. It's WCBB and not only is it highly competitive, but UCONN is the best of the best and to earn PT, you have to bring it 100% of the time in practice every day and in the games as well.

As for Meg's criticisms, they have been echoed on the BY. Maybe she gets some of her material from us (that was said tongue-in-cheek). As for the poor pass into the post, Geno has harped on that all year, meaning Kia and Moriah aren't the greatest at it either. When the ball is passed in there, it needs to be passed away from the defender, in a place only the UCONN player can get to it, and it needs to lead them to the basket. I've heard her point out poor passes into the post by KML, Morgan, Kia and Moriah at times in the past. Saniya making one bad pass is not the end of the world.

I fully understand rooting for a player, but as Myers correctly pointed out, if one is ONLY a fan of the player, and not so much a fan of UCONN, the coaches, or the other players, then that person will likely be frustrated and disappointed.

Have you caught the threads "congrats to Saniya" and comments on her improved defense and offense? UCONN fans root for the entire team and applaud the success of individual players almost to the point of being cheerleaders. I can't speak for Saniya but I've read comments that she knew her defense was not great. she was disappointed in her play and has worked hard in practice to improve. Know what Gabby Williams said after Geno kept her on the bench for the entire Stanford game? Something like

"I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't give the coach enough reason to trust me and put me in the game". Amazing attitude. As fans of UCONN, we mostly get why coach plays some kids and not others. If you are only a fan if Saniya I can see why you are frustrated. If you speak with her, encourage her to work even harder in practice because Meg, and the coaches, were not wrong.

Reaction Score
I don't like to be critical but Meghan is tough to take seriously. She continually parrots Gino. Never has an original thought. Not in Rebecca's
league.

Reaction Score
Very well said. I would like to add a few things.

I'm not sure if it was Mr. Ossining, but when Geno benched Saniya after the Stanford game in favor of Kia Nurse, it may have been him (or a few others) who said it was an awful move by the coach and that it destroyed Saniya's confidence. I want to address that first.

Her defense WAS horrible. Arms were not up, lateral movement was very slow, and if it's clear to even a schlub like me, obviously Geno saw it and made the correct adjustment. Watch Kia Nurse play defense - She is literally always moving, bouncing, diving, and harassing the player she's defending. Saniya's defense has improved indeed, but Kia's is still better.

And I want to add that Stokes was also pulled from the starting lineup in favor of Tuck. Different reasons, but it happens. I've said it many times. This is not T-league where everyone gets to play no matter what. It's WCBB and not only is it highly competitive, but UCONN is the best of the best and to earn PT, you have to bring it 100% of the time in practice every day and in the games as well.

As for Meg's criticisms, they have been echoed on the BY. Maybe she gets some of her material from us (that was said tongue-in-cheek). As for the poor pass into the post, Geno has harped on that all year, meaning Kia and Moriah aren't the greatest at it either. When the ball is passed in there, it needs to be passed away from the defender, in a place only the UCONN player can get to it, and it needs to lead them to the basket. I've heard her point out poor passes into the post by KML, Morgan, Kia and Moriah at times in the past. Saniya making one bad pass is not the end of the world.

I fully understand rooting for a player, but as Myers correctly pointed out, if one is ONLY a fan of the player, and not so much a fan of UCONN, the coaches, or the other players, then that person will likely be frustrated and disappointed.

Have you caught the threads "congrats to Saniya" and comments on her improved defense and offense? UCONN fans root for the entire team and applaud the success of individual players almost to the point of being cheerleaders. I can't speak for Saniya but I've read comments that she knew her defense was not great. she was disappointed in her play and has worked hard in practice to improve. Know what Gabby Williams said after Geno kept her on the bench for the entire Stanford game? Something like

"I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't give the coach enough reason to trust me and put me in the game". Amazing attitude. As fans of UCONN, we mostly get why coach plays some kids and not others. If you are only a fan if Saniya I can see why you are frustrated. If you speak with her, encourage her to work even harder in practice because Meg, and the coaches, were not wrong.

Not quite sure how either you or Meyers can conclude that someone being firmly in the corner of one player precludes them from being firmly in UConn's corner.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not quite sure how either you or Meyers can conclude that someone being firmly in the corner of one player precludes them from being firmly in UConn's corner.
I didn't "conclude" that. I said "If you are only a fan if Saniya I can see why you are frustrated." I referenced Myer's post and said "if one is ONLY a fan of the player, and not so much a fan of UCONN, the coaches, or the other players, then that person will likely be frustrated and disappointed."

Reaction Score
Maybe it'd be educational for the rest of us who didn't see her play in high school to describe how she played. Did she shoot mostly treys? Was she good driving to the basket?

As someone who watched several of Ossining's games over Chong's last 2 HS years I'd say she was equally adept from the arc and on the drive. She could be a little streaky on her 3's but hit them from well behind the arc. IMO her best skill was penetration. She could split defenses at will and scored as much from the line after drawing contact than in made baskets. I remember one game where she hit 20 straight ft's in the second half, most coming off drives in the lane. She was so good at it that I thought she'd fit in at Notre Dame better than at UConn. LOL

And her scoring, while impressive, didn't keep her from involving her team. She averaged about 10 assists a game her senior year, and that would have been nearer to 15 if her team mates shot better. She was, and is an excellent passer.

IMO her problems at UConn have been in learning to play without the ball, learning to play defense, learning to play in a half court offense & learning to believe that she belongs on the court with her team mates. Ossining played a transition offense, always pushing the ball. In her first year at UConn and even early this year she was put into games in the second half after Geno had shut down UConn's transition game. On defense, her trouble keeping a player in front of her has been common to many UConn guards. Taurasi, Moore & Hartley were also criticized for their MTM defense. They learned (well Taurasi never really did) and Chong will also. I also think she defers too much to her team mates and in return, they tend to ignore her on the court. I don't mean this as a criticism to anyone but I've often seen her wide open on the perimeter and no one even looks her way. I am hopeful that is starting to change. Saniya has been much more assertive lately. I am of the opinion that she will reach a tipping point where she will realize that she has as much talent as Jefferson and will not hesitate to display it. When that happens UConn fans will see what an amazing talent she was and still is.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pretty easy by reading their posts. I'm not talking about a UCONN fan who has a favorite (we all do). I'm talking about a player fan who follows UCONN because their player plays there.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And your problem may be that you are a pompous windbag, someone who somehow seems to think that they know that there are problematic "specific player" fans from their postings here. Of course, you may not be anything like that, just as OssiningPride may very well be a great UConn fan, who also happens to be being firmly in Saniya's corner.
I doubt it. Where they here prior to Chong coming to UCONN? Will they be here after she leaves? Something to think about.

It's ok, and understandable. It just becomes problematic because they don't care so much how the team does, but rather how their player does. Problematic in that they are always promoting their player at the expense of the team and degrading Geno and anyone else who does not share their view that their player is getting their due respect and/or playing time.

And I probably should be pompous. If not me, then who? :cool:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am of the opinion that she will reach a tipping point where she will realize that she has as much talent as Jefferson and will not hesitate to display it. When that happens UConn fans will see what an amazing talent she was and still is.
Lots of great stuff in your post - but I'm not sure what you mean by "she has as much talent as Jefferson". From a PG perspective, I don't believe anyone has as much talent as Moriah. Her passing, decision making, speed/quickness, shot making, and amazing drives to the basket are 2nd to none. There may be other PG's who are better shooters, passers, or better at another aspect, but IMHO no one in the nation is a better PG.

So when I say Saniya is not in the same league as Moriah, it's not a criticism, just an observation that there is NO ONE in the same league as Moriah.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As someone who watched several of Ossining's games over Chong's last 2 HS years I'd say she was equally adept from the arc and on the drive. She could be a little streaky on her 3's but hit them from well behind the arc. IMO her best skill was penetration. She could split defenses at will and scored as much from the line after drawing contact than in made baskets. I remember one game where she hit 20 straight ft's in the second half, most coming off drives in the lane. She was so good at it that I thought she'd fit in at Notre Dame better than at UConn. LOL

And her scoring, while impressive, didn't keep her from involving her team. She averaged about 10 assists a game her senior year, and that would have been nearer to 15 if her team mates shot better. She was, and is an excellent passer.

IMO her problems at UConn have been in learning to play without the ball, learning to play defense, learning to play in a half court offense & learning to believe that she belongs on the court with her team mates.
I agree from what I saw of her games, online (so not near as many as you and some others on here), Chong was definitely a scorer. She could score from anywhere on the floor, unlimited 3 pt range, driving, pullups, all kinds of stuff. Hope to see that, consistently, at this level. She's moving toward that anyway, which is a good thing.

I agree with your assessment of her "problems" to date.

Reaction Score
Lots of great stuff in your post - but I'm not sure what you mean by "she has as much talent as Jefferson". From a PG perspective, I don't believe anyone has as much talent as Moriah. Her passing, decision making, speed/quickness, shot making, and amazing drives to the basket are 2nd to none. There may be other PG's who are better shooters, passers, or better at another aspect, but IMHO no one in the nation is a better PG.

So when I say Saniya is not in the same league as Moriah, it's not a criticism, just an observation that there is NO ONE in the same league as Moriah.
Princeton's Blake Dietrik is like a taller version of Moriah. Pretty much on the same level of talent. I hope she goes in the WNBA draft but don't know if she's interested or not. (I should ask her at the next game)

Reaction Score
Might be just one of those amazing coincidences, but I'm going to go with my gut (like Geno does) that OssiningPride is from Ossining NY where Saniya went to H.S.

Based on that admittedly shoddy detective work, I'm going to take a big leap of faith and jump into the pit with the theory that OssiningPride might have a little difficulty being objective.

I will say this, Megan made an excellent point repeatedly in the last game...that when Saniya plays at the right speed and doesn't rush things she's much more of an impact player. What I'd like to add to this analysis is that, conversely, played too slow last year, the game was always moving faster than she was.

I like that she has shown the tenacity to stick it out and improve her game to the point where it looks like she's now going to be part of the regular rotation. To OssiningPride, all I have to say is that for a sophomore player to be a regular player at UConn...well that in itself makes her an elite college player. Something OssiningPride should take pride in instead of whining. This isn't H.S ball, it's UConn, where only the best of the best make it.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If I may inject a little conjecture here; Saniya was not only a super-star in HS, she was the player that everyone else depended on, and she never disappointed. She would not be human if she had not come to UConn with the vision in the back of her head, maybe not consciously recognized, that she was going to to the same thing for the Huskies. Then, last year, when it sank in that, good as she might be she was never likely to have that role for the Huskies, that must have just knocked her off equilibrium and made her doubt (again, maybe not consciously) that she would ever amount to anything as a Husky, and her confidence went south. She might have let it affect her permanently, but to her everlasting credit, she did not. She found the inner strength to come back and work harder than she ever had before, to work on the things she was told she needed to work on, and has made herself into a very effective player; not the sort of role she had back in Ossining, but a very important and valuable one for the team. And Saturday, when she was asked to take a leadership role, she was ready. I am really, really, really proud of her!! And so should you be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom