Olympic Oops? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Olympic Oops?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Stewie is 6th in scoring tied for 3rd in rebounds, among the top 6 in blocks and steals, so no she isn't one who Candace could replace. They both should be on the team over players like Angel, and Simone. This team has no need for 4 guards, when you have players like Maya who could play the off guard. Stewie, and Candace can play the 3, 4 spot with some time at the 5 giving opponents fits.
Angel and Seimone are loyal

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know there were lots of reasons posed for Candace Parker's being left off the Olympic roster at the time. But now that we're five games into the WNBA season, and Parker is ripping a tornado-like path through the league, can we now say that it's beginning to look as though the selection committee really blew it?

Candace Parker - WNBA

Parker is the fifth leading scorer with nearly 21 points a game, she's eighth in rebounds with 7.5, she's tenth in blocks, and twelfth in assists. She's outscoring another roster center, Griner; she's outscoring and out rebounding roster forward Tamika Catching; she's outscoring Seimone Augustus. And she's younger than Catchings. There were hints that Parker wasn't a "team player," though they selected McCaughtry, who has been benched for long periods with no obvious physical ailments.

Can we now say that the decision to leave Parker off the roster is looking pretty bad right now?

upload_2016-5-28_17-28-53.png

I'm sure he'll get up this time!

Reaction Score
I really don't understand this thread. Everyone knew that Parker was a great offensive
player. Since the season began she has put up numbers which confirm what we already
knew.

What has changed that requires reevaluation?

Are we so bereft of things to talk about that we have to rehash a topic that has been
done to death many times over?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Anyone remember Tina Thompson's kid Dyllan? Or Yolanda Griffith's daughter Candace? Or Sheryl Swoopes' son Jordan, born the same year as the WNBA? Or Natalie Williams' kids Sydney and Turasi?

The idea that USA basketball would discriminate against a player because they have a child is beyond idiotic. If they were going to do that, why on earth didn't they do that in London when the kid was really young?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Some of you keep going at this as if it's an offensive skill thing. As if PPG in the WNBA indicates who would be best for the US National TEAM... Or trying to debate the things we've read and observed. If you don't think it's ANY of the reasons we've discussed ad nausea, then give us your opinion. But let's be honest - Parker is one of the top 10, if not top 5, offensive players in the league. So we know it's not her offense.

We know the committee made the decision to leave her off the team, and I believe we know it was a 3-2 vote for a different player.

We know that it's not a personal "vendetta" by Geno or the committee (she was on the 2012 Olympic team).

So that leaves something else.

We have comments from Geno - specific quotes - talking about her lack of defense (he's also said she can do things on offense no one else can do). There's one clue. You think he's the only one who noticed? We know she's a finesse player and can't bang with the likes of Australia. We know she missed the 2010 and 2014 WC's. Several people here have mentioned attitude and chemistry (which of course is speculation). Put it together and what have you got? Bibbity Bobbity Boo... There's your answer! :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Candace is just as loyal.
I'm not sure that USA Basketball or all of the USA players agree with that. As Eric notes, she missed the lower priority WCs in 2010 and 2014. She was injured both times, but one of the surgeries may have been elective to some degree.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that USA Basketball or all of the USA players agree with that. As Eric notes, she missed the lower priority WCs in 2010 and 2014. She was injured both times, but one of the surgeries may have been elective to some degree.
Please find me some quotes where players or anyone else with USA basketball had problems with her missing the WCs because of surgery. I'm sure she would have rather have been playing basketball than having surgery. The WCs may not be as prestigious as the Olympics but they are still an honor. You don't know how much pain Candace was in and playing through. It isn't like she had some kind of cosmetic surgery. How many years has Candace been playing USA basketball and how much has she missed?

Reaction Score
Players are not in a position to criticize their coaches. They have to think of the repercussions to them if they criticize their bosses, such as being black-balled from future USA teams. And even if they don't fear being punished, it's still not the place of the players to criticize the people to whom they report. This isn't the NBA where players make multiple millions and can go anywhere they want virtually any time they want, and coaches are almost interchangeable.

Players have to exercise caution in women's basketball.
Horse puckie! The ball is in the players court. I never said criticize a coach. I was under the impression a commitee selected the team. So you mean to tell me that if Symone, DT, EDD and a few more heavy hitters on the team came out strongly with disapproval of CP not being selected that nothing would happen? I beg to differ. Maybe not this go round but for future teams. The silence is deafening. My gut tells me CP is not there because of CP. This is my last kick to the head of the horse. Yep him dead.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Please find me some quotes where players or anyone else with USA basketball had problems with her missing the WCs because of surgery. I'm sure she would have rather have been playing basketball than having surgery. The WCs may not be as prestigious as the Olympics but they are still an honor. You don't know how much pain Candace was in and playing through. It isn't like she had some kind of cosmetic surgery. How many years has Candace been playing USA basketball and how much has she missed?
Two more than DT, Sue, Tina, Maya, Lindsey, Breanna, Angel, and Brittney, and one more that Catch, Sylvia, Seimone, and Elena.

Reaction Score
I know there were lots of reasons posed for Candace Parker's being left off the Olympic roster at the time. But now that we're five games into the WNBA season, and Parker is ripping a tornado-like path through the league, can we now say that it's beginning to look as though the selection committee really blew it?

Candace Parker - WNBA

Parker is the fifth leading scorer with nearly 21 points a game, she's eighth in rebounds with 7.5, she's tenth in blocks, and twelfth in assists. She's outscoring another roster center, Griner; she's outscoring and out rebounding roster forward Tamika Catching; she's outscoring Seimone Augustus. And she's younger than Catchings. There were hints that Parker wasn't a "team player," though they selected McCaughtry, who has been benched for long periods with no obvious physical ailments.

Can we now say that the decision to leave Parker off the roster is looking pretty bad right now?
YES, it is. Parker should be on the team, period! It's a disgrace. Even though I hate all things Tennessee. Parker is on of the top five players on the planet.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Candace Parker - WNBA

Simply put, no. This is a major overreaction based on a small and irrelevant sample of games.

When Candace went for over 30 in the season opener and Stewie "only" had 23, all the rabid Geno-haters resumed their rampage: "See?! Look at the box score! Parker should be on the Olympic team instead of Stewart!" This is just absurdly facile logic.

We simply don't know why Candace wasn't chosen, and I strongly suspect that it was for reasons unrelated to her skill as an individual player. Since I don't have the benefit of all the knowledge that the committee has, I'm going to trust the people who have led this program to 6 consecutive gold medals to make the best decision for the team, as opposed to the most popular decision with the Lady Vols.

Last edited:

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Horse puckie! The ball is in the players court. I never said criticize a coach. I was under the impression a commitee selected the team. So you mean to tell me that if Symone, DT, EDD and a few more heavy hitters on the team came out strongly with disapproval of CP not being selected that nothing would happen? I beg to differ. Maybe not this go round but for future teams. The silence is deafening. My gut tells me CP is not there because of CP. This is my last kick to the head of the horse. Yep him dead.
So, are you suggesting that the players have the potential to get the committee to reverse their decisions about who is on the team, or at least to get the committee to change its mind about players for the following year, just because enough players (or only influential heavy hitters) griped, complained and expressed outrage? If the players did that, they would be encroaching on committee territory, so what would be the point of a committee? How do you think the committee would take that? Maybe it would easier for the committee to just not invite the complainers the following year and invite a new group who would be more appreciate of the Olympic opportunity. How many players are willing to push the envelope on this? The precedent for player influence on the committee in the NBA was when Michael Jordan supposedly said to someone (coach or committee?) that he would not be on the Olympic Dream Team unless Scottie Pippin was on it too. I don't think anyone on the women's team has anywhere near the kind of clout that MJ had back then.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Late to the party, sorry, commissioning the boat:
Which means on one's hands and knees in blazing sunshine or dark, dank recesses for much longer then one's old bones should be

Among the interesting tidbits in an and around this thread
is the continuing defense of the committees's decision by otherwise knowledgable and sensitive UConn supporters...
whose attitude I think, less reflects their concern for home fav's Stewie et al and honored vets such as Catch but more-so a certain philosophy of how the game should be played...Let's call it UConn style.
Candace is a winner and having a superb start to the season without being a proponent of that ideal.
There are other ways to play winning Basketball. She (and the Sparks) are rubbing our faces in it

Also, some of the players and coaches are now making both snide remarks...who noted (?)..winning but no Olympians on the team to EDD's public admiration for Candace's performance.

I expect the drum beat to increase if she continues to excel and the chosen group continues to underperform as has been the mantra of this early season.

And what about Toliver...having a splendid season and never seriously considered for anything?
4.8 assists per game to .04 turnovers, 13.7 points, around 50% shooting average.
Of course, she has Candace to pass the ball to. :)

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The Olympic is stronger without Candace. All the points were well laid out before. The line ups are more flexible. The stats don't support her being an obvious must take and she takes plays off defensively. She was a disaster against Australia in the semis.

She is playing angry now and might well have been an obvious inclusion if she had approached the process with the same effort and dedication. The team was chosen by committee who clearly chose against her by at least a 3/2 vote. These are professionals who have managed USA Basketball very well and know a lot more about what went on than any of us.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Jewel Loyd, Courtney Vandersloot, or Jasmine Thomas are more glaring omissions. The U.S. is ridiculously loaded at forward.

Why aren't the Tenn fans talking about leaving almost-retired Tamika Catchings home instead of Parker?

Reaction Score
Yes, some people love to sit back and second guess. Next, some player gets hot and score 35-40 points 2 games in a row and someone will start another "Oops" thread again.

You'd think that after all these gold medals for the committee and all those championships for the coach that they know what they are doing. Who on this forum or any other, is more qualified? I guess the committee and Geno need to watch box scores more often and make assessments behind a keyboard.

Oy!

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Jewel Loyd, Courtney Vandersloot, or Jasmine Thomas are more glaring omissions. The U.S. is ridiculously loaded at forward.

Why aren't the Tenn fans talking about leaving almost-retired Tamika Catchings home instead of Parker?
Not having a young point guard is a big mistake. Not more glaring as leaving Parker off but they seem to be thinking of the future from the forward spot but ignoring it from the guard position.

Catch is one of my favorite players ever but Candace should have been picked over her IMO and over some of the others on the team. Why because she is playing better ball and she has shown that she can be a good teammate. I would of course been fine keeping both on the team.

Many keep trying to find something Candace did wrong. Maybe she did nothing wrong and it was more about reasons (not any bad reasons) the others are on the team. Candace just was the unlucky odd woman out.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
The Olympic is stronger without Candace. All the points were well laid out before. The line ups are more flexible. The stats don't support her being an obvious must take and she takes plays off defensively. She was a disaster against Australia in the semis.

She is playing angry now and might well have been an obvious inclusion if she had approached the process with the same effort and dedication. The team was chosen by committee who clearly chose against her by at least a 3/2 vote. These are professionals who have managed USA Basketball very well and know a lot more about what went on than any of us.
Was Candace playing angry last season when she was even better? Bottom line if there was one extra spot on the team we probably wouldn't be having this conversation so I don't think this is the case of Candace doing anything wrong. This is the case of others getting picked over her and not her getting kicked off the team.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Choke, thanks for the info on Candace's position. Are they running a 3-guard offense by design, or is Lavender hurt? Last year, they seemed to start Jantel, Nneka, and Candace, in which case Candace appeared to be playing the 3 position.
Jantel is fine, but she is not seeing nearly as many minutes as last year. In part, that's because Candace is back, but Lavender still played more last year after Candace returned than she is playing this year. Picking up Carson seems to have been a good move for the Sparks, as she can play the 2 or the 3, and she's beast on defense, which is really what LA needed. With Beard healthy and Carson present, the perimeter defense is much improved, and that has triggered the Sparks' ascent (their defense is 1st in the league). Nneka has also been an absolute beast. She is actually outplaying Parker thus far and leads the league in win shares, with Candace 4th. In PER, Maya leads the league, with Candace second and Nneka third.

Reaction Score
Candace should have been picked over McCoughtry or Fowles. Both are fine players but neither should be ahead of Parker on a roster. The committee picked Fowles as a center with Griner and Geno will likely let Charles play power forward. Along with EDD and Stewart, there was not room left at the position. Parker is an incredibly versatile player but is truly a 4. The committee picked 3 other power forwards, all very deserving. However, Parker should be on the team. Period.

While I love Bird, Whalen, Taurasi and Augustus, there should have been at least one young guard such as Sims, Diggins (yes she's been hurt) Jefferson, McBride, somebody who is 25 or younger to help carry the torch. This roster will likely win the Gold but it will most likely be the last cycle for those 4 guards.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Was Candace playing angry last season when she was even better? Bottom line if there was one extra spot on the team we probably wouldn't be having this conversation so I don't think this is the case of Candace doing anything wrong. This is the case of others getting picked over her and not her getting kicked off the team.
She was not better than those chosen for the team last including the league MOP EDD.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom