Okay, I'll say it. Samson > Clingan? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Okay, I'll say it. Samson > Clingan?

Reaction Score
Clingan had a few good moments interspersed with the bad ones - a couple passes (bounce pass on a backdoor cut - the one that sailed out of bounds was a pretty good read but he had been sitting a long time and it sailed). A defensive rebound where he basically boxed out an entire side of the floor. A more relaxed finish. Just needs to get his rhythm back at game speed and starting playing big on the low block again. Johnson is going to run into some bigger players who keep their body on him and neutralize his athleticism, but man it looks like he can change the game with fresh legs off the bench when we need a spark. Glad we have both.

Samson had a personal highlight reel of personal plays - but I was impressed with a couple of the defensive rebounds he grabbed in traffic the second half. They were grown man’s rebounds - Texas was small, yes, but they were out of his area and he had to fight for them. That’s encouraging to me that he’s got some blue collar in him too.

Reaction Score
People on this board are so reactionary.

Remember last year, Clingan got PK80 player of the tournament and some were saying he should take more minutes from Sanogo at C or move Sanogo to PF and to play Clingan at C. Sanogo was more consistent overall at center with Clingan equally effective off the bench and key in certain match ups. Same will apply this year to Clingan/Johnson.

Yes, Samson played great and was better tonight.
No, he's not better than Clingan overall. Clingan is still getting into game shape from his injury.

This is a good problem to have, a luxury. Yet folks here act like this is an issue with Clingan. Patience.
This. Exactly.

Everybody always loves the backup. The grass is always greener on the other side, LOL. Last year we had one of the most dominating post players in the country, and people wanted more of the backup :D

Yes, Johnson had a great game last night, we're all happy about that. Let's not turn him into Bill Russell yet! Clingan will get back into shape and we'll have a nice 1-2 punch.

I was really impressed that Hurley brought Johnson back in late last night. He was clearly playing better. Important move.

Reaction Score
I think it's fair to say a number of people (like me) will be eating crow on Samson by the end of the season. He's clearly more prepared to be a great 6th-man than we expected. Last night was a fantastic performance.

Playing him over Clingan is still the wrong call for a lot of reasons. Clingan is still a much better player.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Alot of the takes in here look pretty ridiculous now that we know Clingan was sick the last two games and fighting through an illness.

Reaction Score
Alot of the takes in here look pretty ridiculous now that we know Clingan was sick the last two games and fighting through an illness.
Maybe I just have them all blocked but I really haven't seen many bad takes or an outpouring of negativity.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Maybe I just have them all blocked but I really haven't seen many bad takes or an outpouring of negativity.
There's been quite a few here and on Twitter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well, if Hurley wanted to ignite the inner fire of Clingan. He could bench him for Johnson next game. That would certainly do the trick.
You think it's a matter of extiguished fire?

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Completely. He didn’t look right and that was his +/- compared to Samson. Are you disputing any of that? Not the gotcha you thought.
Don't try and change the narrative, you said that before Clingan's illness came to light. It's okay, they're both great.

Reaction Score
More athletic? Yes
Bigger upside? Possible
Overall better player? Nope

Just happy to have both

Reaction Score
Don't try and change the narrative, you said that before Clingan's illness came to light. It's okay, they're both great.
I said he didn’t look right. That would be the case whether or not he was ill. Knowing that he was is a good reason for his poor play. If he was fully healthy, I would still say he didn’t look right, because he didn’t. It’s simple.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't try and change the narrative, you said that before Clingan's illness came to light.
I don't see the need to hammer people when they are giving you all they got.

Reaction Score
Right now, are we better with Samson in there?

a) There were times last season I said the same when Donovan outplayed Adama.
b) I think Donovan is not where he needs to be conditioning-wise yet.
c) Could Samson pull a Hilton Armstrong type jump in his development?
No

Reaction Score
There were many games last year when Sanogo was more effective than Clingan and vice-versa. Will probably hold true this year with Clingan and Samson. They're both valuable pieces to this team. Last night Clingan was sick and Samson was a monster at the rim. Won't be like that every game.

Get Clingan back 100% and then revisit this thread.

Reaction Score
Right now, are we better with Samson in there?

a) There were times last season I said the same when Donovan outplayed Adama.
b) I think Donovan is not where he needs to be conditioning-wise yet.
c) Could Samson pull a Hilton Armstrong type jump in his development?
First of all the entire premise of this verges on divisive at best, gaslighting at worst. Sampson is looking better every game and I hope his upside is to the moon. Really came through last night. But as in all sports guys go through various stretches based on matchups and other circumstances. This take is based on one of those snapshots in time. Clingan coming off injury and now it turns out he's been sick. Kinda hard to ignore those two factors and honestly I don't care who's better. Want them both to be great..

Reaction Score
First of all the entire premise of this verges on divisive at best, gaslighting at worst. Sampson is looking better every game and I hope his upside is to the moon. Really came through last night. But as in all sports guys go through various stretches based on matchups and other circumstances. This take is based on one of those snapshots in time. Clingan coming off injury and now it turns out he's been sick. Kinda hard to ignore those two factors and honestly I don't care who's better. Want them both to be great..
I agree with you but we really need to start spelling our players names correctly. I know it's not your intention but it comes across as disrespectful, it's Samson.

Reaction Score
I'm content that we have two quality big men. Clingan had a below expectations weekend and Johnson exceeded them. Not every player needs to have A+ game for us to win and that is huge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom