Okay, I'll say it. Samson > Clingan? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Okay, I'll say it. Samson > Clingan?

Reaction Score
I agree. I told my brother that Sampson reminded me a little of Stanley Robinson. They both play like they’re on pogo sticks. Sticks is one of my all-time favorites.
Yeah Samsons athleticism is crazy and we are seeing it. That fast break dunk he had was insane. If he gives us that game in and game out and stays healthy he will only get better and better. I made a comment after the first couple games that Samson looked good and was getting comfortable. Once comfortable he would get confident and he`d be off and running. Its happening way sooner than i thought. You say Stanley Robinson (RIP) and i say George Ackles. I couldnt help but think of him while watching Samson play. GA in case you dont know was on a couple of those great UNLV teams of the early 90s.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I actually didn’t do that on purpose, this time. Samson has been superb. My hat goes off to him for sticking it out and earning his playing time.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
People on this board are so reactionary.

Remember last year, Clingan got PK80 player of the tournament and some were saying he should take more minutes from Sanogo at C or move Sanogo to PF and to play Clingan at C. Sanogo was more consistent overall at center with Clingan equally effective off the bench and key in certain match ups. Same will apply this year to Clingan/Johnson.

Yes, Samson played great and was better tonight.
No, he's not better than Clingan overall. Clingan is still getting into game shape from his injury.

This is a good problem to have, a luxury. Yet folks here act like this is an issue with Clingan. Patience.

Reaction Score
They keep calling him at 280, and iirc, it was 260 last year. He needs to get rid of that 20.
Go for a run with a 20# weight belt on. You’ll run 2/3 the distance you would run without it

Reaction Score
Go for a run with a 20# weight belt on. You’ll run 2/3 the distance you would run without it
Yeah, it isn’t all muscle. Still a young, growing guy. Hope his feet get better quickly.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Right now, are we better with Samson in there?

a) There were times last season I said the same when Donovan outplayed Adama.
b) I think Donovan is not where he needs to be conditioning-wise yet.
c) Could Samson pull a Hilton Armstrong type jump in his development?
Including the thread's title, three different questions have been asked.

Each could be asked with a different slant or more precision, but none of them bothered me, and none of them present a firm answer either way, nor do they have to.

All are worth answering or thinking about, and time will tell on all the surrounding fine points.

My biggest takeaway is that winning supports a wider range of not-fully-formed posts, and I like this post, even if, like some others, it's premature.

Reaction Score
Right now, are we better with Samson in there?

a) There were times last season I said the same when Donovan outplayed Adama.
b) I think Donovan is not where he needs to be conditioning-wise yet.
c) Could Samson pull a Hilton Armstrong type jump in his development?
I was wondering the same thing. Proves again and again that Hurley knows better than most how to develop his players. I’m not worried about Clingan, he is still not completely recovered from his foot injury.

Reaction Score
I love seeing Johnson play well. But I think we need to relax a little bit about Clingan. He’s 7’2. A guy that huge is going to take more time to get back in into ideal condition after almost a month of rest.

Reaction Score
Donovan is off from the kid we saw last year. He’s slower, footwork not as good, decisions off the ball not as good. I don’t think we all realize what a month off with a foot injury can do to a 7’2” kid. He was real good last year and that kid will be back, be patient. Right now his inability to be that kid is affecting him mentally too, he’s not thinking the game as well as last year. In the meantime we are seeing a new Samson Johnson and who he can be. He was really good last night, seems to understand a bit more about the need to stay out of foul trouble as well. The 1-2 at the 5 will only get better, fun to watch!

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Tonight we certainly were. I never thought I’d say this but I was relieved when Hurley went back to Samson down the stretch. Kid was a monster tonight. Great block too where he pinned it and took it off the glass.
I was in awe watching Samson play. He was excellent in every aspect of the game. The timing between him and his the rest of the team was phenomenal. In my opinion. Terxas was very good. Samson fit right in and knew what he had to do. Amazing.

Reaction Score
This game tonight was against a very athletic Texas team that wanted to play very uptempo. Both teams were crashing the glass and giving fastbreaks to the other on defensive rebounds.

It was much more of a "Samson game" than a "Clingan game", and last night was the opposite.

Clingan is still getting his conditioning back up and clearly was not ready for a back to back night after playing his most minutes of the season last game. He'll likely get in better shape (and maybe hopefully lose a few lbs) as the season goes on. These kinds of games should be less challenging by then. Hopefully by the UNC game.
Exactly, samson has not shown the ability to score beyond dunks. Tougher task in half court sets. Hopefully that is the next progression

Reaction Score
People were getting on Samson last year when he got in for a few minutes but was coming off injury.

I think Clingan too coming off injury and doesn’t look the same.

Samson looks awesome! But nowhere nearready to have the discussion of who’s better. It’s not even Thanksgiving yet.

Reaction Score
Clingan's foot is clearly still bothering him. Has nothing to do with any work (or supposed lack thereof) done in the off season. He's still hurting, and out of shape.

Reaction Score
Style of play is important to note here... While DC is agile for his size, the Indiana and Texas guys were superior athletes and DC was rushing everything offensively in the paint. He's an outstanding screener and passer and our offense runs better with him on the handoffs etc. But Samson brings elite athleticism and can better match up in fast paced play. I'm not advocating that we are better with him over DC, but he does bring something different to the table that can be a better matchup.

Reaction Score
DC really changes the game defensively. He’s a huge weapon. My biggest concern with him as he gets back into shape and gets acclimated again is his free throw shooting. He was at about 50% last season. He’s at 44% so far this season. He has got to shoot it better from the line or all of his offensive presence is wasted on empty possessions. That’s just got to improve.

Reaction Score
DC is a unique force, but Samson has outplayed him. I wouldn't change the rotation. SJ off the bench can be a nightmare for opponents, just as DC was last season.

DC still needs to develop a definitive go-to move down on the block, then build out from that point. He is also still working himself back I to shape and has been fine thus far.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Donovan is clearly still getting up to speed obviously. The foot injury/conditioning/extra weight/layoff...all clear factors.. He looked fine this summer playing in Europe so as long as the foot is ok, we have every reason to believe he will eventually be back to dominating. Samson is a great contrast and allows us to matchup with any type of frontline. Marquette may be another game where Samson plays a large factor and matches up well.
One other thing. It's always easier being the relief pitcher or in this case coming off the bench. You could go as hard as you can for shorter stints, often against an already tired opponent(after dealing with Adama in this case) or the other teams 2nd team big. You see it in other sports. It's not an apples to apples comparison, but it still tracks. Relief pitchers come in for an inning or two and throw as hard as they can. Use them as a starter for longer stints and their velocity ticks down. In football it's always easier being the Ben Tate to the Arian Foster. Look at Tony Pollard this year. It's harder being THE guy and it's easier coming in with fresh legs and your hair on fire when the D is already tired. I an NOT saying Clingan is Ben Tate or that he won't dominate. Just saying that there may be a minor adjustment to being the starter as opposed to being the backup(especially being a giant where cardio is such a factor). That adjustment has been made harder and much more obvious because of Dom's injury and his resulting conditioning. Patience. It will come.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
People on this board are so reactionary.

Remember last year, Clingan got PK80 player of the tournament and some were saying he should take more minutes from Sanogo at C or move Sanogo to PF and to play Clingan at C. Sanogo was more consistent overall at center with Clingan equally effective off the bench and key in certain match ups. Same will apply this year to Clingan/Johnson.

Yes, Samson played great and was better tonight.
No, he's not better than Clingan overall. Clingan is still getting into game shape from his injury.

This is a good problem to have, a luxury. Yet folks here act like this is an issue with Clingan. Patience.
Agreed. Donovan should still be starting. His control of the paint is disruptive. But the gap isn't as big as many here thought it was, and Samson will need minutes, some of those at the 4. DC and SJ is a better pairing than Adama and Clingan, it can work.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I think we'll see more of a 24 minute Clingan/16 minute Samson this season. Foot injury aside a jump form 13 to 28 minutes for a 7'2" kid is a big ask. Big D will have to learn to pace himself. Last year he knew his playing stints would be no more than 4 minutes so he could go all out. This year he needs to be on the floor longer and will realize that opposing team will go at him early to try to get him in foul trouble. Samson brings in a change of pace just like Clingan did last year. I'm looking forward to see both develop as the season progresses. Oh, and Cam stop the reach ins. We need you on the court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom