Ohio State AD...conference will expand...in 5 years or so | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Ohio State AD...conference will expand...in 5 years or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The approximate geographical, if not economic, equivalent would be to place Texas in the Big Ten. WVU is on the Ohio and Pennsylvania borders.

Sorry, should have been clearer: WVU isolated from the rest of The Big12.

Reaction Score
Sorry, should have been clearer: WVU isolated from the rest of The Big12.

No, I understood what you were trying to convey perfectly. "Islands" don't tend to work in meeting the needs of students, fans, travel expenses and (sometimes) cultures. I think that a lot of us get excited "in the flow of ideas" about certain schools and forget about the distances involved. The US is really a "continent" (Bigger than Australia and almost as big as Europe with western Russia) masquerading as a "country."

Reaction Score
The approximate geographical, if not economic, equivalent would be to place Texas in the Big Ten. WVU is on the Ohio and Pennsylvania borders.

Very true, but UT has more money to make traveling work IMO. That said, would the B1G be willing to add several regional, non-state/non-land grant/non-AAU schools to bridge the gap to Austin just to get Texas? I can see KU, OU, and UT in the B1G, but would the B1G consider TCU or Baylor? And finally, would the B1G want the Texas ego?

Personally, I think Texas likes being the big dog in their conference and feel there's a good chance the B12 might stick together (as long as Texas decides that's OK). If UT were to bolt, it would be to the PAC or B1G (whoever makes the best sales pitch).

Reaction Score
Very true, but UT has more money to make traveling work IMO. That said, would the B1G be willing to add several regional, non-state/non-land grant/non-AAU schools to bridge the gap to Austin just to get Texas? I can see KU, OU, and UT in the B1G, but would the B1G consider TCU or Baylor? And finally, would the B1G want the Texas ego?

Personally, I think Texas likes being the big dog in their conference and feel there's a good chance the B12 might stick together (as long as Texas decides that's OK). If UT were to bolt, it would be to the PAC or B1G (whoever makes the best sales pitch).

Well, Texas leaving for the Big Ten (and even more so with other Big 12 schools) would be "The mother of all moves." You are absolutely right that Texas already has more money and the Big Ten and Networks would pay even more money for their travel expenses and efforts.

I am usually conservative in my thinking and my bias says that while the Big Ten might not stop at 16 for all time, it would take something extra ordinary to take more than 2 at one time. Since there are GOR wrapped around the ACC and the Big 12, and they both have reasonable contracts with security, I still lean to UConn and someone else.

"Someone else":

1) Missouri
2) VT or a school in the ACC that has financial problems (a la Maryland).
3) Buffalo
4) Syracuse (It like Buffalo, is in NY and they should bring not everything, or course, but something). The ACC might come to "an understanding" with northern/newcomer Syracuse that they never would with UVA or UNC.
5) UCF (A real long shot, with it's location and academics-but it is the 2nd largest single campus in enrollment and there is recruiting/population area galore. In the next 3 or 4 years, one of the ACC, Big Ten or Big 12 will welcome this school).

Reaction Score
"Someone else":

3) Buffalo

SUNY Buffalo is a good school with AAU status. If Buffalo had gotten their act together 25 years ago, built a large football stadium and had taken football seriously back then, they would probably be a very serious consideration. If the school rebranded itself as New York State University - Buffalo, it would sound like a B1G school. Sometimes perception helps too.

Reaction Score
I thought PL had a computer issue lol....I completely agreed with his first reply and have had the same suspicions that maybe something we havent heard yet may be going on behind the scenes !?!
His point wasn't six posts good, Plains&Lakes.

I know that "everyone likes to hear the sound (print) of their own voice", but I did not realize that all of my delayed attempts to post would "eventually" do so. "The mills of the Gods grind slowly, but they grind fine." :eek: My apologies.

Reaction Score
SUNY Buffalo is a good school with AAU status. If Buffalo had gotten their act together 25 years ago, built a large football stadium and had taken football seriously back then, they would probably be a very serious consideration. If the school rebranded itself as New York State University - Buffalo, it would sound like a B1G school. Sometimes perception helps too.

Calamitous, I found your info on Virginia Tech and the ACC dynamics interesting.

Regarding, Buffalo, agreed. The Big Ten had their AAU (at the time) chance in New York with Syracuse. I have never heard this mentioned, but maybe the Big Ten found out that Syracuse was going to go the Post-AAU route that Nebraska went through. I don't know a great deal about the SUNY system, except that the schools as a group are rated high, particularly considering the in-state and out-of-state tuition rates. For example, the academic rankings of Stony Brook are quite high, and the school was only founded in 1957! Maybe democracy rules the SUNY army, and no one is allowed even primus inter pares. In New York there is an Empire State Building, but maybe not an "Empire State University"

Reaction Score
Based on my understanding, I think the PBC character really did have a 'source' in the Big Ten. I am under the impression he admitted after the fact that his info was shut down early in the process and then they sort of used him conditionally to disseminate things after they realized how much play the realignment news was getting because of people like him. Essentially, he willingly became a puppet used for trial balloons and propaganda. It's possible he was utterly full of it the whole time but early on he was pretty grounded and then it got pretty absurd later on.

I found it interesting that many people knew PBC (or knew of him) from his Northwestern days. So, he wasn't doing this all under a mostly anonymous alias as others have done later on. In fact, the name Purple Book Cat originated with something at Northwestern and even more people new him because he used a known alias (from real life).

All that the say, I believe that Texas was talking to B1G. But, they were probably just weighing all their options at the time.

Reaction Score
Calamitous, I found your info on Virginia Tech and the ACC dynamics interesting.

Regarding, Buffalo, agreed. The Big Ten had their AAU (at the time) chance in New York with Syracuse. I have never heard this mentioned, but maybe the Big Ten found out that Syracuse was going to go the Post-AAU route that Nebraska went through. I don't know a great deal about the SUNY system, except that the schools as a group are rated high, particularly considering the in-state and out-of-state tuition rates. For example, the academic rankings of Stony Brook are quite high, and the school was only founded in 1957! Maybe democracy rules the SUNY army, and no one is allowed even primus inter pares. In New York there is an Empire State Building, but maybe not an "Empire State University"

New York's system is based on the California system. Both of these systems came into being at roughly the same time. California's plan predated New York's but they were both GI Bill plans in large states intended to create multiple flagship universities. In NY, they call these "Centers." In California, they took the flagship designation away from Berkeley and declared Berkeley coequal with UCLA, UCSD, Davis and the like.

I know the SUNY system intimately. I look at all this talk of UB joining a bigger conference with lots of amusement. UB just spent over a decade (and a lot of money) rebranding itself. Most of us growing up in the 70s-80s-90s knew it as SUNY-Buffalo. All the Centers are now U. (insert city/town name). There's a reason for this. By linking the university more closely to the city, the state was able to funnel development dollars away from town/county politicians and into the hands of university/private developer coalitions. Each region with a Center also has a regional economic council composed of people from the university and private businesses. They are the ones doling out the capital. And they do this in the name of the cities they represent.

Rebranding as THE state of NY university was simply one AD's idea. It goes against the larger interests of the university.

When Tesla's CEO announced a new factory to be built in Buffalo for his solar technology company, the incentives and tax free rebates he received came through the university affiliated council.

I do believe that UB should join the B1G for ice hockey however. They would dominate it in short order.

Reaction Score
Rebranding as THE state of NY university was simply one AD's idea. It goes against the larger interests of the university.

I was sort of joking about "New York State University - Buffalo." So their AD really did pitch the idea? Of course, what the AD says really doesn't matter in terms of university affairs. The president and BOT have all the power and decision-making abilities. That's pretty interesting though.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Calamitous said:
I was sort of joking about "New York State University - Buffalo." So their AD really did pitch the idea? Of course, what the AD says really doesn't matter in terms of university affairs. The president and BOT have all the power and decision-making abilities. That's pretty interesting though.
It was a legit push from within the AD.
http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2013/05/29/the-state-university-of-new-york

Attachments

• image-2879261400.jpg
    image-2879261400.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 38
Reaction Score
New York State would be quite a brand name. It is hard to believe that "Alaska State" or "Wyoming State" would have quite the carriage. :) The problem is that the name is too elite and too good. Many other schools in New York would want it. The name is so good that schools in other states would want it (lol).

If there had been a developed New York State 50 years ago, the Big Ten would have probably taken it with PSU and gone to 12, with another "N"- as in Nebraska- a footnote in history. The New York system seems to put more emphasis on academics vs. athletics. A major state athletic flagship has always been well within the resources of the great state of New York (I am from Ohio, BTW).

Reaction Score
New York State would be quite a brand name. It is hard to believe that "Alaska State" or "Wyoming State" would have quite the carriage. :) The problem is that the name is too elite and too good. Many other schools in New York would want it. The name is so good that schools in other states would want it (lol).

If there had been a developed New York State 50 years ago, the Big Ten would have probably taken it with PSU and gone to 12, with another "N"- as in Nebraska- a footnote in history. The New York system seems to put more emphasis on academics vs. athletics. A major state athletic flagship has always been well within the resources of the great state of New York (I am from Ohio, BTW).

SUNY Buffalo is listed as the flagship university of New York. I agree that if they developed more 50 years ago, they'd be in the B1G already.

Reaction Score
The real problem with Buffalo, in terms of attractiveness, is that they have just not been a good football program....

Since 2000...They have won 28 % of their MAC conference games....not real competitive even in MAC

In the 15 games played against the following conferences since 2000, they are Zero for (.0000% win record).

Big Ten, ACC, SEC, Big 12, MWC, and WAC....

They are 3-2 against CUSA.

Eight of the last Ten seasons have been losing seasons.

Reaction Score
The real problem with Buffalo, in terms of attractiveness, is that they have just not been a good football program...

Yup. And even if they were to pull a Boise State and start winning football games, its a little too late. Their football stadium needs a serious upgrade too.

Reaction Score
SUNY Buffalo is listed as the flagship university of New York. I agree that if they developed more 50 years ago, they'd be in the B1G already.
We really don't think of Buffalo as representing anything downstate no matter what their moniker and from Albany(where i reside) down to Montauk Pt were NYC metros where the people are(80%?)...thats why NYC/NJ need 2 pro FB/Hoops/BB teams and Buffalo is more associated with Ohio/Penn and the Canadian border...I have difficulties relating to them as a rooting interest in a whole different culture as NYS's team or even like Cuse upstates(CNY) team? Connecticut is more NY than Buffalo IMO as the Giants actually played there(Yale Bowl)!! Fuhgettaboutit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup. And even if they were to pull a Boise State and start winning football games, its a little too late. Their football stadium needs a serious upgrade too.
They'd never be seen as NY's team anymore than Cuse is as they appear more midwestern in culture....maybe they'd catch on in CNY or northern Pa or eastern Ohio but I doubt it? At least thats how I see it being a lifetime NY/NJ/Conn resident and fan.

Reaction Score
The real problem with Buffalo, in terms of attractiveness, is that they have just not been a good football program....

Since 2000...They have won 28 % of their MAC conference games....not real competitive even in MAC

In the 15 games played against the following conferences since 2000, they are Zero for (.0000% win record).

I notice you left the BE (OBE) out? How'd they do there as i'd think they would have been a regular OOC opponent here...Turner Gill did raise there profile some but not enough IMO...no fans!!

Reaction Score
We really don't think of Buffalo as representing anything downstate no matter what their moniker and from Albany(where i reside) down to Montauk Pt were NYC metros where the people are(80%?)...thats why NYC/NJ need 2 pro FB/Hoops/BB teams and Buffalo is more associated with Ohio/Penn and the Canadian border...I have difficulties relating to them as a rooting interest in a whole different culture as NYS's team or even like Cuse upstates(CNY) team? Connecticut is more NY than Buffalo IMO as the Giants actually played there(Yale Bowl)!! Fuhgettaboutit.

The vast majority of Buffalo's students come from NYC and LI.

Reaction Score

Regarding, Buffalo, agreed. The Big Ten had their AAU (at the time) chance in New York with Syracuse. I have never heard this mentioned, but maybe the Big Ten found out that Syracuse was going to go the Post-AAU route that Nebraska went through. I don't knoe.mw a great deal about the SUNY system, except that the schools as a group are rated high, particularly considering the in-state and out-of-state tuition rates. For example, the academic rankings of Stony Brook are quite high, and the school was only founded in 1957! Maybe democracy rules the SUNY army, and no one is allowed even primus inter pares. In New York there is an Empire State Building, but maybe not an "Empire State University"

Interestly the University of Michigan and the Big 10 gained its reputation by destroying a well regarded University of Buffalo team. Buffalo had defeated Columbia. All football outside the Ivy was suspect until that point..

Reaction Score

Most of this talk is in jest. I wouldn't take the UB to the B1G very serious. I just find the school itself very interesting.

Reaction Score
Most of this talk is in jest. I wouldn't take the UB to the B1G very serious. I just find the school itself very interesting.
I agree...its an easy school to like with good academics. I wissh them well but just have trouble seeing such a FB and tradition heavy B1G giving UB any real attention. That slice of geography is well covered with B1G fans already but hockey seems to be that areas biggest game!?! Honestly I like the city snow and all...a true bluecollar style town.

Reaction Score
The vast majority of Buffalo's students come from NYC and LI.
I didnt know that....interesting,I do like certain schools outside UConn and NJU. Temple and UB are 2 of them as they don't give off that arrogant high falutin snobbish vibe that turns me off.

Reaction Score
Nicky....since 2000...Buffalo was 2-18 against the BE teams...counting a win against UConn in 2013 (AAC).

And, as an aside...What is NJU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32