Ohio State AD...conference will expand...in 5 years or so | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Ohio State AD...conference will expand...in 5 years or so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There used to be a poster Purple Book Cat or something to that effect who seemed to have some level of inside knowledge coming from The B1G Offices. I suppose you never know who is posting on any given site. Kansas and UCONN would obviously work, and could be a custom made rivalry from day one. That said it doesn't address population demographics, or perceived football strength.

Personally I still prefer the idea of VPI. A Football first school hailing from a talent rich area. They push a lot of the right buttons for me in realignment. Sure they are not AAU, but like UCONN they are very respectable academically speaking. They would likely covet inclusion in The CIC, and might enjoy stepping out of UVA's shadow much like A&M has with UT. Their entire athletic identity is not tied to The ACC like UVA or UNC either.

The combination of PSU, UMD, and VPI would dominate the Delmarva Region, like no other combo could. Rutgers, UCONN, PSU, and the other B1G heavy hitters would present the best grab on the tri state area, as well as some claim to New England as well. IMO it would exceed whatever combo of ND, Pitt, Cuse, BC, or others that the ACC could throw together.

Reaction Score
There used to be a poster Purple Book Cat or something to that effect who seemed to have some level of inside knowledge coming from The B1G Offices.

He had Texas and ND -> B1G as a lock...

pj

Reaction Score
I hadn't heard of him but Google turns up this: http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Board/93/Contents/PURPLE-Book-Cat-Strikes-Again-15508882

It sounds just crazy -- the B1G breaking up the ACC and B12 both, taking their top schools, just for the purpose of getting Notre Dame too. That would make the B1G too rich, there's no way the TV networks or the rest of college athletics would want that or, I suspect, permit that. They would have half the top programs in college athletics. And it would ruin the idea of a 4 super conference football system, reducing things to 3 major conferences in one fell swoop.

Reaction Score
There used to be a poster Purple Book Cat or something to that effect who seemed to have some level of inside knowledge coming from The B1G Offices. I suppose you never know who is posting on any given site. Kansas and UCONN would obviously work, and could be a custom made rivalry from day one. That said it doesn't address population demographics, or perceived football strength.

Personally I still prefer the idea of VPI. A Football first school hailing from a talent rich area. They push a lot of the right buttons for me in realignment. Sure they are not AAU, but like UCONN they are very respectable academically speaking. They would likely covet inclusion in The CIC, and might enjoy stepping out of UVA's shadow much like A&M has with UT. Their entire athletic identity is not tied to The ACC like UVA or UNC either.

The combination of PSU, UMD, and VPI would dominate the Delmarva Region, like no other combo could. Rutgers, UCONN, PSU, and the other B1G heavy hitters would present the best grab on the tri state area, as well as some claim to New England as well. IMO it would exceed whatever combo of ND, Pitt, Cuse, BC, or others that the ACC could throw together.

This sounds like a plan to me. At 16, the Big Ten just might rest and leave the ACC (and everyone else) alone. But nobody would believe it.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

If I remember correctly, PurpleBookCat was debunked. I'm not sure, but I think he fabricated a lot of what he posted. This is what he posted right before UMD and Rutgers joined:

purplebookcat said:
We're inching closer to the fascinating final chapters.

The target dates have not changed since last year. Jim Delany has in the shadows amassed his resources as the chatter surrounding expansion died down. Football season, for each of the past several years, has provided a convenient cover for Delany to manouver. In the past few months, the major networks and the heads of the three most powerful conferences have solidified their plans. Simply put, the SEC, the PAC and the B1G will make up the three 16 team super-conferences. Everyone else will play in on their own.

This is where the B1G stands today: Texas wants in, Notre Dame does not - yet. Delany has successfully dismantled the Big Twelve to the brink of collapse. Delany expects two of WVU, North Carolina, FSU and Miami to move to the SEC. Delany over the past several months has had ongoing discussions with Syracuse, North Carolina, Georgia Tech and Maryland. Two of these four will likely follow Texas and Notre Dame to the B1G. The evaluation of these schools has ranged from facilities planning to alumni success. Internal speculation is that Georgia Tech and Maryland are the favorites at this point. Rutgers continues to attempt to force the situation, but is not a preferred choice.

The breakup of the ACC now serves one purpose: to separate Notre Dame's key decision makers from their resolve and ability to stay independent. Until the 5 game schedule with the ACC, many at ND were increasingly supportive of a move to the B1G. The insane deal that the ACC gave to ND made some of those people believe that ND could have its cake and eat it too. Delany wants to squash that immediately. He will stop at nothing to break up the ACC to force ND back into the discussion. He will have help.

Pay attention to the SEC. Silve owes Delany for A&M. Also less directly for Mizzou. Florida State should be the first domino to fall. Put it this way: Silve is Stalin, Delany is Roosevelt. Neither shares the same dogmas, but both know that the only way to win the war is to work together. This will be fun to watch.

Link to copy of post in a Michigan State forum (the original is gone).

Now on to VPI. I would love to have them in The Big10, but they have to be very careful on who that take. Unless they are willing to go to 20 before the next contract is up, this is it. You have to get it right and make sure any school does what the conference needs them to. It seems that Rutgers and UMD did, at least in regards to the BTN, what The Big10 wanted. They also have to fit the culture the Big10.

I think there are questions that I have about The Hokies. Does VPI bring the coveted Richmond/Tidewater market? Has VPI always been a football first school or had much success before Beamer? What will happen to VPI football when Frank Beamer retires? Will VPI fit the culture of the Big10?

pj

Reaction Score
I think there are questions that I have about The Hokies. Does VPI bring the coveted Richmond/Tidewater market? Has VPI always been a football first school or had much success before Beamer? What will happen to VPI football when Frank Beamer retires? Will VPI fit the culture of the Big10?

VPI appeared in only 6 bowl games in its history before 1993, and lost 5 of those 6 (the win was in 1986 over NC State by 1 point, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_Hokies_football). So I think it's safe to say they didn't have much success before Beamer, who arrived in 1987, and the Big East, which it joined in 1991.

Not sure about the coveted Richmond market, but they do have Appalachian Virginia sewed up.

I think VPI can fit the culture of the Big10 about as well as Penn State does.

Reaction Score
VPI appeared in only 6 bowl games in its history before 1993, and lost 5 of those 6 (the win was in 1986 over NC State by 1 point, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_Hokies_football). So I think it's safe to say they didn't have much success before Beamer, who arrived in 1987, and the Big East, which it joined in 1991.

Not sure about the coveted Richmond market, but they do have Appalachian Virginia sewed up.

I think VPI can fit the culture of the Big10 about as well as Penn State does.
I've heard they have a solid DC/suburban MD following but I admit I'm not sure? I think they'd be a solid FB and academic add with UConn ! I like eating away at ACC perceived market places and creeping south rather than west though Kansas would work too and then lock up the books for awhile.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, PurpleBookCat was debunked. I'm not sure, but I think he fabricated a lot of what he posted. This is what he posted right before UMD and Rutgers joined:

Now on to VPI. I would love to have them in The Big10, but they have to be very careful on who that take. Unless they are willing to go to 20 before the next contract is up, this is it. You have to get it right and make sure any school does what the conference needs them to. It seems that Rutgers and UMD did, at least in regards to the BTN, what The Big10 wanted. They also have to fit the culture the Big10.

I think that VPI would fit very well with B1G Culture. They are not a blue blood in football, but they have been on the national stage since the late 90's. They have good support for football, and are more northeast leaning than traditional southern. Their blue collar style would mesh well with the MSU, Iowa, and Wisky types of The B1G. IMO Beamer has overstayed, and new blood could jump start both their play on the field, and success on the recruiting trail. Academically they are a strong engineering school, which would mesh well with Purdue and Illinois. They could also provide the first true rival for PSU.

Reaction Score

While I take your point about football strength, UConn is often slighted when it comes to demographics. And yet there are not many schools that have the state to themselves like UConn, even if it is only 3.6 million residents. And there are no pro teams. And the local sports channel SNY has shown they can charge a huge premium for UConn sports on basic cable for tier 3 games. And the state is one of the wealthiest in the country with a gold coast of companies for marketers to appeal to, close to NYC as well.

Demographics should be considered a huge plus for UConn.

Reaction Score

That post from purple cat rings false because of the points about WVU and also Syracuse.

Reaction Score
While I take your point about football strength, UConn is often slighted when it comes to demographics. And yet there are not many schools that have the state to themselves like UConn, even if it is only 3.6 million residents. And there are no pro teams. And the local sports channel SNY has shown they can charge a huge premium for UConn sports on basic cable for tier 3 games. And the state is one of the wealthiest in the country with a gold coast of companies for marketers to appeal to, close to NYC as well.

Demographics should be considered a huge plus for UConn.

My comment was in regards to adding both UCONN and Kansas to get to 16.

Reaction Score
Based on my understanding, I think the PBC character really did have a 'source' in the Big Ten. I am under the impression he admitted after the fact that his info was shut down early in the process and then they sort of used him conditionally to disseminate things after they realized how much play the realignment news was getting because of people like him. Essentially, he willingly became a puppet used for trial balloons and propaganda. It's possible he was utterly full of it the whole time but early on he was pretty grounded and then it got pretty absurd later on.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Based on my understanding, I think the PBC character really did have a 'source' in the Big Ten. I am under the impression he admitted after the fact that his info was shut down early in the process and then they sort of used him conditionally to disseminate things after they realized how much play the realignment news was getting because of people like him. Essentially, he willingly became a puppet used for trial balloons and propaganda. It's possible he was utterly full of it the whole time but early on he was pretty grounded and then it got pretty absurd later on.

That was my impression as we'll.

Reaction Score
With the B1G office in NYC, now there can be contiguity to CT!

I was wondering how contiguity would work with the NYC gap. Either use the NYC office like you're saying or assume NYC is a part of the Garden State. :)

FWIW, I think of all the important requirements for the B1G (AAU/CIC membership, good academic standing and geographic contiguity), it is geographic contiguity that they will have to waiver.

Reaction Score
FIRST OFF.... my apologies to Huskie fans for the long-winded non UConn-related post. But to answer Dayooper...

I think there are questions that I have about The Hokies. Does VPI bring the coveted Richmond/Tidewater market?

Tech has 100% coverage across the Commonwealth of Virginia in terms of television, including Hampton Roads, Richmond, DC (into MD), Harrisonburg, Roanoke-Lynchburg and Bristol TN. Although not specifically mentioned on their website, I know Beckley WV picks up Hokie football games as well; as parts of southern WV are 50/50 between Hokies and Eers.

http://www.hokiesports.com/radio/programming.html

UVa covers the same territory with the exception of Bristol and Beckley, I think. I'm in the Richmond area and Tech is covered equally as UVa. Same with Hampton Roads. There are more Tech alumni than UVa alumni in Virginia as well... compounded by the fact that Hoos don't take their football as serious as Hokies do (in general).

Has VPI always been a football first school or had much success before Beamer?

Tech athletics were not very identifiable until the early-mid 90s. Tech basketball has been mostly a disaster since the 80's team that went on probation. But in the 60s and early 70s, Tech basketball wasn't that bad. When I was younger (in the 70s and early 80s), Tech football was a Division 1A independent and played an extremely weak schedule which included VMI, Richmond, William & Mary, etc. Most Tech football teams had winning records, but failed to get to a bowl because of the poor schedule, being an ho-hum independent and the simple fact that there weren't as many bowls in those days.

What will happen to VPI football when Frank Beamer retires?

Good question. Beamer has become somewhat of a dinosaur in the fast developing game of college football. Running off-tackle plays, using clock management and relying on defense and special teams to win games just doesn't work anymore. But I am grateful he's been Tech's coach for 27 years. My fear is that Beamer will be the best we've ever had. Unfortunately in this day and age, Beamer-type coaches just aren't good enough. So to answer the question, it's possible that Tech would be just another middle-of-the-road football program in the coming years after Beamer retires. Technically, we're already a middle-of-the-road program IMO.

Will VPI fit the culture of the Big10?

Tech isn't AAU. Many in the know say Tim Sands (current president) and Charles Steger (past president) are getting Tech very close to AAU membership. Tech is the 5th top research school in the ACC behind Pitt, UNC, Duke and GT. Tech is ranked #69 in the USNWR, tied with Rutgers and Minnesota, just below Purdue and Maryland and just above MSU and Iowa. Culturally, there aren't many schools in the ACC that would fit in with the B1G, but Tech is probably one of them. But we're sort of a chameleon in that we could also fit in the SEC as well. Problem is, Tech is very small compared to the average B1G land grant school (31K enrollment)... so that may not help us.

Last edited:

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I was wondering how contiguity would work with the NYC gap. Either use the NYC office like you're saying or assume NYC is a part of the Garden State. :)

FWIW, I think of all the important requirements for the B1G (AAU/CIC membership, good academic standing and geographic contiguity), it is geographic contiguity that they will have to waiver.

Continuity may have mattered in the time of the horse and buggy. Who gives a rats ass today?

Reaction Score
That post from purple cat rings false because of the points about WVU and also Syracuse.
Yes I agree and his lack of insight(when everyone new) about NJU tells me he's clueless. SU? He had his preferences but NO inside knowledge of what was doing down.

Reaction Score
Continuity may have mattered in the time of the horse and buggy. Who gives a rats ass today?
Whats with all the contiguous talk? Is not FF county already part of the NY/NJ demo and also still in Connecticut? We've been over this before.....UConn is contiguous already!

dayooper

Reaction Score

To a certain extent, it's important, if not taken too literal. What I believe is they don't want a WVU scenario where one or two schools are off on an island both geographically and culturally.

'Cuse and BC are somewhat like that now with the rest of the ACC, but where not as bad when UMD was a member.

Reaction Score
To a certain extent, it's important, if not taken too literal. What I believe is they don't want a WVU scenario where one or two schools are off on an island both geographically and culturally.

'Cuse and BC are somewhat like that now with the rest of the ACC, but where not as bad when UMD was a member.

The approximate geographical, if not economic, equivalent would be to place Texas in the Big Ten. WVU is on the Ohio and Pennsylvania borders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom