Oh, How Miami Has Fallen | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Oh, How Miami Has Fallen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, being great at the second and third most popular college sports and relegating the most popular sport to an afterthought, left UConn behind when it mattered most.

By your standard everyone not Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, LSU, are after thoughts. Basically 7-8 schools are in play for the 4 team playoff every year. If that.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, being great at the second and third most popular college sports and relegating the most popular sport to an afterthought, left UConn behind when it mattered most.
Ironically, they are why we've been considered by other conferences.

Reaction Score
Uconn has won National Titles recently. What have those schools won in any sport that matters?
Women's basketball and field hockey are not bringing in millions of dollars. Those former Big East schools are getting many more millions than UConn.

Reaction Score
Ironically, they are why we've been considered by other conferences.
I don't think that is the case. If supremacy in women's basketball mattered in conference realignment, UConn would have been a shoo in.

Reaction Score
By your standard everyone not Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, LSU, are after thoughts. Basically 7-8 schools are in play for the 4 team playoff every year. If that.
That is true, but the other schools in the P5 are able to fund their football programs.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Women's basketball and field hockey are not bringing in millions of dollars. Those former Big East schools are getting many more millions than UConn.
Women’s basketball used to have a $1million+ profit every year before they were forced to play ECU, Memphis, Tulane, et al and fans had to pay $22 a ticket to watch UConn run layup lines.

Licensing fees are down as are ticket sales. Better competition will help enormously with that. I’ll bet the men’s team boosters would much rather schmooze other boosters from Villanova at Madison Square Garden than the UCF crowd at the Civic Center, too. That might help them find their checkbooks. No, it’s not football money, but the football team in it’s current state isn’t going to support the Athletic Department so the AD chose to make a few bucks rather than bleed cash

Reaction Score
Over the past half dozen years, we have also won in Men's Basketball, but I guess you missed that. What have BC and Miami won in that window?

You aren't even a good troll. How do you fail at trolling? Lol

Reaction Score
Women’s basketball used to have a $1million+ profit every year before they were forced to play ECU, Memphis, Tulane, et al and fans had to pay $22 a ticket to watch UConn run it’s layup lines.

Licensing fees are down as are ticket sales. Better competition will help enormously with that. I’ll bet the men’s team boosters would much rather schmooze other boosters from Villanova at Madison Square Garden than the UCF crowd at the Civic Center, too. That might help them find their checkbooks. No, it’s not football money, but the football team in it’s current state isn’t going to support the Athletic Department so the AD chose to make a few bucks rather than bleed cash

I appreciate your reply Husky Nan (you still have locked me out of the women's board). I want to see UConn athletics succeed in all sports, but it is very difficult to watch all these bowl games when I know that UConn should be one of the participants. It is just disgusting that some schools are raking in some big bucks and UConn is not one of them. That is all I'm saying.

Reaction Score
Over the past half dozen years, we have also won in Men's Basketball, but I guess you missed that. What have BC and Miami won in that window?

You aren't even a good troll. How do you fail at trolling? Lol
Again, it doesn't matter if BC and Miami ever win a game again in any sport. They are getting a 30 million dollar a year payday no matter what until at least 2036. UConn is struggling to survive in athletics. How can any school not in the P5 compete with them?

Reaction Score
I appreciate your reply Husky Nan (you still have locked me out of the women's board). I want to see UConn athletics succeed in all sports, but it is very difficult to watch all these bowl games when I know that UConn should be one of the participants. It is just disgusting that some schools are raking in some big bucks and UConn is not one of them. That is all I'm saying.
No one is raking in big bucks from the non major bowls.

Yes i want UConn to get back to minor bowls but the "windfall" isn't one of the reasons.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Bowl games aren’t necessarily money makers for the schools

Reaction Score
Women’s basketball used to have a $1million+ profit every year before they were forced to play ECU, Memphis, Tulane, et al and fans had to pay $22 a ticket to watch UConn run layup lines.

I still think no one is considering the pre-mature "ticket fee" in this whole equation. Before Hurley righted the ship we were asked to pay an $800 seat fee. That was an insane request considering the current situation, we were a middling school in a middling conference. No wonder most ticket holders just decided it wasn't worth it.

When this new fee went over like a lead balloon they panicked and made the Big East move, basically abandoning the football program. People are now wondering about the mass transfers from the football program and blaming coaches but in reality the school made a decision that the football program was not the priority.

I hope I am wrong but these moves will turn us back to be a UNH or URI status, and unfortunately bring the University down to that status as well. When I was applying to college Uconn was a safety school, now it is an elite school my daughter wants to go to. I hate to say sports Calhoun and Geno helped to get it to the level. Unfortunately in ten years it won't be.

Reaction Score
Bowl games aren’t necessarily money makers for the schools

I agree that bowls are just a reward for having some on field success. But they do put a school in the public eye and provide a chance for fans to sometimes go to a warm climate for a few days.

Reaction Score
I still think no one is considering the pre-mature "ticket fee" in this whole equation. Before Hurley righted the ship we were asked to pay an $800 seat fee. That was an insane request considering the current situation, we were a middling school in a middling conference. No wonder most ticket holders just decided it wasn't worth it.

When this new fee went over like a lead balloon they panicked and made the Big East move, basically abandoning the football program. People are now wondering about the mass transfers from the football program and blaming coaches but in reality the school made a decision that the football program was not the priority.

I hope I am wrong but these moves will turn us back to be a UNH or URI status, and unfortunately bring the University down to that status as well. When I was applying to college Uconn was a safety school, now it is an elite school my daughter wants to go to. I hate to say sports Calhoun and Geno helped to get it to the level. Unfortunately in ten years it won't be.
To think they are not prioritizing football is utter nonsense. Ever think how embarrassing an empty Rent is? We failed in the AAC and the AAC didn't have a strong allure to fans. How Tulane is doing well, I have no idea. But the TV contract offered to the AAC was enough a reason to hit the eject button.

Being an independent with games against schools around here instead of Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, USF, SMU, etc, is going to make a HUGE difference in fan interest not only in UConn football, but college football in the northeast. There appears to be a willingness between schools in the northeast to develop the scene and the way to do that is by playing each other. Regional rivals and more P5 games a year trumps the AAC. This is a very unique opportunity afforded to is by the very high level of success in other athletic programs. Going to the Big East actually gives us more leverage for better games in football because of stronger and more desirable basketball programs that fans of other schools will want over at their schools.

I am actually amazed. at how clever a plan they have going. Just need our Knute Rockne.

Reaction Score
To think they are not prioritizing football is utter nonsense. Ever think how embarrassing an empty Rent is? We failed in the AAC and the AAC didn't have a strong allure to fans. How Tulane is doing well, I have no idea. But the TV contract offered to the AAC was enough a reason to hit the eject button.

Being an independent with games against schools around here instead of Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, USF, SMU, etc, is going to make a HUGE difference in fan interest not only in UConn football, but college football in the northeast. There appears to be a willingness between schools in the northeast to develop the scene and the way to do that is by playing each other. Regional rivals and more P5 games a year trumps the AAC. This is a very unique opportunity afforded to is by the very high level of success in other athletic programs. Going to the Big East actually gives us more leverage for better games in football because of stronger and more desirable basketball programs that fans of other schools will want over at their schools.

I am actually amazed. at how clever a plan they have going. Just need our Knute Rockne.
No ones showing up to see UCONN play UMASS or central or even BC. UCONN needs schools from the midwest, texas and florida to come to the Rent to move the needle. Buffalo, Syracuse and rutgers aren't exactly going to move the needle either. The only school in the northeast thatll draw a crowd is Penn St. Everyone else is no better than playing Tulane.

Reaction Score
No ones showing up to see UCONN play UMASS or central or even BC. UCONN needs schools from the midwest, texas and florida to come to the Rent to move the needle. Buffalo, Syracuse and rutgers aren't exactly going to move the needle either. The only school in the northeast thatll draw a crowd is Penn St. Everyone else is no better than playing Tulane.
If you notice, every other successful conference, besides the ACC, is regional. I know no one showed up for the last game between UConn and UMass. Doesn't matter, the scene here needs to be cultivated and the only way to succeed in doing that is regional rivalries. Basic marketing. And this is for all schools around here, not just us, and I think they are finally grasping the dire need to cultivate the scene here when the biggest college football crowd every other year here is The Game at the Yale Bowl. No one said developing a stronger interest in the FBS college football scene in the northeast will be overnight.

Reaction Score
If you notice, every other successful conference, besides the ACC, is regional. I know no one showed up for the last game between UConn and UMass. Doesn't matter, the scene here needs to be cultivated and the only way to succeed in doing that is regional rivalries. Basic marketing. And this is for all schools around here, not just us, and I think they are finally grasping the dire need to cultivate the scene here when the biggest college football crowd every other year here is The Game at the Yale Bowl. No one said developing a stronger interest in the FBS college football scene in the northeast will be overnight.
We had a Northeast football league in the Big East, but due to ineptitude by failing to invite Penn St in the 80s, basketball schools basically forcing out the Football powers in Miami and VT and negotiating a terrible tv contract northeast football is all but dead. Almost all the northeast schools not Penn St barely look competitive anymore. Unless money comes back to building rivalries, nothing is going to fix that problem of no one caring.

Reaction Score
We had a Northeast football league in the Big East, but due to ineptitude by failing to invite Penn St in the 80s, basketball schools basically forcing out the Football powers in Miami and VT and negotiating a terrible tv contract northeast football is all but dead. Almost all the northeast schools not Penn St barely look competitive anymore. Unless money comes back to building rivalries, nothing is going to fix that problem of no one caring.
Building rivalries is what'll lead to money. 3 northeast FBS teams are new to the scene, UB, UMass and us. Thus, have to play teams people and opponents' fans would travel to watch.

The Big East football years are perfect proof of what I am saying. That was a great regional league until it was torn apart by more powerful or better situated conferences. If people of the northeast had the foresight of what state flagship schools would become, a solid northeastern Big Ten type conference would have been developed long ago. The private schools that once dominated college football have chosen to be relics. A good percentage of the oldest football fields in the US are in the NESCAC.

Reaction Score
Temple and Memphis were just above Rutgers in the jokes of college football list. Both managed to turn thins around bugle. And as for recruiting area, the aforementioned Rutgers is in the top recruiting area in the northeast. How’s that working for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom