Oh, How Miami Has Fallen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oh, How Miami Has Fallen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Norvell could get FSU back. The thing about all this is that the Power 5 teams all get the same media payout but 9 to 10 teams per conference have no chance to win their league, maybe ever. Can Penn State ever beat OSU or Michigan if they get better? The SEC has Ala, Georgia, Auburn and now LSU is back. The rest? Forget about it. Forever! When will this get old for the fans with constant coaching hiring and firings and rebuilds to nowhere? Can Frost get Nebraska back to Big 8 days of relevance? For most big time college programs decades of sucking are now unavoidable.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Skip Holtz and Bob Diaco. If only we ever had coaches like that.

The one thing that LaTech has that we will never have have is the abundance of talent around that area. Very few kids from the south want to come north to play and any kid who is good enough around here is going to either a P5 or down south. Once the big boys pick who they want the rest stay close to home. The area is as much a predictor or success then the coaches. Happy for Skip... Diaco could care less about his happiness

Reaction Score
The one thing that LaTech has that we will never have have is the abundance of talent around that area. Very few kids from the south want to come north to play and any kid who is good enough around here is going to either a P5 or down south. Once the big boys pick who they want the rest stay close to home. The area is as much a predictor or success then the coaches. Happy for Skip... Diaco could care less about his happiness
Any school is as good as their HC. At 43 im old enough to remember when Wisconsin was abysmal. Then along came Barry Alvarez. Washington State was considered the toughest place to recruit to. Along came Mike Price. Boise State was juco at one point i believe. Chris Peterson turned them into a power. None of those schools are in the south. Its not like La Tech has won big coach after coach there. Skip is just doing a bang up job.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Hiring him as a head coach was a mistake but Diaco can lead a defense. Remember when we’d lose games 20-6 instead of 40-6? Better days.

Reaction Score
Remember when Bob Diaco thought D Williams was better than Shirreffs.

Three high school QB's recruited by Diaco: Tyler Davis, D Williams, Jordan Mcafee. Yuck!

Bob Diaco = worst talent evaluator ever and worst game manager ever.

Skip Holtz should have never left UCONN.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They have zero will to win within their administration. They got lucky with Mark Richt who set them up to run like a real football program, but as soon as he retired they went back to zero effort, and that brings zero results. People down here want coaches fired, etc, but none of that makes a difference when your administrators simply aren't willing to get behind a program. Mind boggling too, because just about everyone else seems to want to actually win big at football while they seem to just want to move past it.

Reaction Score
Miami is taking a "legacy" approach to football. They want to be more established as an elite scool than a top 10 footbal program.

Reaction Score
Miami is taking a "legacy" approach to football. They want to be more established as an elite scool than a top 10 footbal program.

I think this is pretty much the case. It's crazy, because Richt had them on a huge winning streak for a while. There was a lot of buzz, and good publicity around their program. Sellout games, all sorts of new facilities, the turnover chain was at the top of college football discussion, etc. Most programs would have loved to be where they were at that moment when they were steamrolling Notre Dame on national television, but their admin seems to want to go the other way. I don't understand it in this day and age.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
True...but Temple has figured out how to hire a decent coaching staff and field competitive teams year after year. I know that recruiting areas matter, but when temple abuses you on an annual basis....and they are in a similar recruiting area....the location excuse doesn't carry weight.

Reaction Score
I think this is pretty much the case. It's crazy, because Richt had them on a huge winning streak for a while. There was a lot of buzz, and good publicity around their program. Sellout games, all sorts of new facilities, the turnover chain was at the top of college football discussion, etc. Most programs would have loved to be where they were at that moment when they were steamrolling Notre Dame on national television, but their admin seems to want to go the other way. I don't understand it in this day and age.
They got their championships in football and know what it would take to get back there. Which clearly would not in alignment with Miami's present objectives. (Remember, Jeff Calhoun transferred there.) They're fine having an in-and-out top 25 basketball program, these days.

They're letting Clemson do the heavy lifting in football now.

Reaction Score
Bigger mistake hiring recently fired HCREDreamJob1.0 and making him HCRE2.0.
I was at the BC game where Diaco went for a fake field goal on 4th and 18 from the 19 yard line. I mean he basically turned into a mental patient by the time he was done here.

There is nothing that could be a bigger mistake than hiring Diaco, and I was drinking the kool-aid when he first got here.

He is what he is - a defensive coordinator. He is not a program builder. Never will be.

Reaction Score
I disagree. The state devoted a ton of money for facilities for UConn football based on a vision. What didn't happen is the athletic department did not get behind football and educate the fanbase about what big time college football means and what fans need to do to support it.
Lost it when Lou left.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Norvell could get FSU back. The thing about all this is that the Power 5 teams all get the same media payout but 9 to 10 teams per conference have no chance to win their league, maybe ever. Can Penn State ever beat OSU or Michigan if they get better? The SEC has Ala, Georgia, Auburn and now LSU is back. The rest? Forget about it. Forever! When will this get old for the fans with constant coaching hiring and firings and rebuilds to nowhere? Can Frost get Nebraska back to Big 8 days of relevance? For most big time college programs decades of sucking are now unavoidable.
This the reality but in the end the parity in college football is a sham and non existent. Look at the teams at the top. Alabama and Clemson had so many Five Star recruits that they couldn't even take them all. Add one or two other constants near the top and no one else ever has a chance.

Let's be honest, who really cares about the CFB playoffs? Everyone knows Alabama and Clemson are near locks every year. Then toss in one of OSU/Georgia/Oklahoma/random P5 top tier team, and you have your yearly CFB playoffs. Yawn....

It's ridiculously boring. They have an issue on their hands and maybe paying players or offering them to profit off their likeness will help somehow. I read a good article about this. It was saying that the top players wouldn't still go to the top schools but the lower schools might have a chance to land a top player because they could stay home and get endorsement money from places at home.

Yahoo - How to fix CFB

Reaction Score
A couple of points. Every conference can only really have 2 or 3 heavyweights who can win 10+ wins per season. When conferences expanded, some schools that were in the top 2 or 3 in their previous conference got "demoted" in their new conferences. It happened to Nebraska when the Big 8 became the Big 12 and has continued in the Big 10. It happened to West Virginia when they went from the Big East to Big 12. Penn St. went from the Eastern heavyweight to a good Big 10 team. Put Penn State in the ACC Coastal and they would become a perennial top 8 program.

This. The reason we haven't seen the top 24 or so college programs break off and form their own superleague is that if they do, half of them will be below .500 every year and will lose all the alumni support they currently have. Michigan and Ohio State need Rutgers and Indiana. Clemson needs -- well, just about the rest of its conference.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This. The reason we haven't seen the top 24 or so college programs break off and form their own superleague is that if they do, half of them will be below .500 every year and will lose all the alumni support they currently have. Michigan and Ohio State need Rutgers and Indiana. Clemson needs -- well, just about the rest of its conference.
I’ve tried to make this same point from time to time. The P5 breaking away, denying a seat or two to the potential 8 team playoff, and/or reducing OOC scheduled to three or less will hurt their product more than they think in the long run. Basically in an all P5 world, too many mildly successful programs will be pushed to sub 500 seasons and that will erode fan interest. Take the cupcakes off the Syracuse and BC schedules and you have permanent losers. OOC/G5 games mask what are otherwise losing intraconf seasons.

I get blown up for this position from time to time, but if the P5 breaks away, I think a G5 only league will be fine (who are we kidding, fan support for all G5 programs not named Boise is "medium" at best). At least that group will run a true eight team playoff. The P5 needs the cupcakes as much as the G5 needs the dream.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Simple. They now want nerds and rich kids, not jocks.

38% admissions rate, lower than UConn and 17,000 students. Also a nearly $1 bil endowment.

The school is no longer the U of the 80s and 90s. The only people who would be upset are alumni who care for football, ACC and Miami football fans (and maybe 2 Live Crew).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ve tried to make this same point from time to time. The P5 breaking away, denying a seat or two to the potential 8 team playoff, and/or reducing OOC scheduled to three or less will hurt their product more than they think in the long run. Basically in an all P5 world, too many mildly successful programs will be pushed to sub 500 seasons and that will erode fan interest. Take the cupcakes off the Syracuse and BC schedules and you have permanent losers. OOC/G5 games mask what are otherwise losing intraconf seasons.

I get blown up for this position from time to time, but if the P5 breaks away, I think a G5 only league will be fine. At least that group will run a true eight true playoff. The P5 needs the cupcakes as much as the G5 needs the dream.

To be clear, that's not the same point that I was making. I'm talking about the best teams from the 5 P5 conferences breaking away. That type of league makes the Iowas and UCLAs and Oklahoma States perpetual losers, and isn't going to happen for that reason. However, the P5 breaking away I do think I'll see in my lifetime. Yes, it makes it harder for the UVAs and Purdues to finish above .500 as consistently, but the real powers don't care about that and will make them pay that price.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Too many bowl games. Created because the TV money is good and coaches need them to keep their jobs.

Can't fool the players though. UM isn't getting up for a game against ULL that doesn't count in the standings.

Reaction Score

That elite school just went 6-7 this year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
To be clear, that's not the same point that I was making. I'm talking about the best teams from the 5 P5 conferences breaking away. That type of league makes the Iowas and UCLAs and Oklahoma States perpetual losers, and isn't going to happen for that reason. However, the P5 breaking away I do think I'll see in my lifetime. Yes, it makes it harder for the UVAs and Purdues to finish above .500 as consistently, but the real powers don't care about that and will make them pay that price.

Whether the 60 P5 schools breakaway or the top 30 of the 60 P5 schools, its the exact same meaningful dynamic. Any paring of current 130 FBS pool below say 100 schools will cause a lot of P5 programs with large fan bases to have to accept sub 500 football that previously didn't. It wont be just the Virginia's and the Oklahoma State's that will have fewer wins to enjoy (regardless of the quality), but really all programs that currently not finishing perpetually in the top 10 will endure more losses, several more a season. For that reason, I dont think the university presidents and the big donors will ever be behind a full breakaway. They all see the value in the current set up that already gives the P5 all the advantageous it really needs (big $, winning seasons). I think what is more likely to happen is that at some point ESPN and Fox start helping the conferences figure out a sliding scale to divvy up money among the members. The problem is Wake doesnt have the same value at Florida State - that the inefficiency that needs fixing. Btw - when the paid player comes about, that will just zap the absurd growth in coaching salaries and curb the stupid excesses invested in campus facilities like lazy rivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom