Official practice getting started | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Official practice getting started

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It means nothing to lose a best player off a team that did nothing but lose with him as the best player.

Perhaps, but you can usually expect worse results the following year regardless. So a worse result than 'doing nothing but lose' is very bad indeed.

This year there are a confluence of factors that may alter that outcome (AG's health, new coach's system entrenched, player development, a bunch of new players, etc). We'll see.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
AGs arms looking bigger than I remember. An off-season without rehab is what he needs to take his game to the next level

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I think we will be better than people think.
Could be but physicality is a big concern of mine. This is the most finesse Uconn team in recent memory, playing in a conference that is going to be very physical next year. Going to need to make shots.

Reaction Score
The crazy thing last year was there was noticeable improvement both individually and team-wise from the prior year. So we looked better in a number of areas (and were by KenPom), yet the record still sucked.

These guys have yet to show they know how to win. We'll see.
Let’s just try and leave this conference the way we came in.

Reaction Score
Christian is a guy I find myself rooting very hard for.

———
Hurley spent a lot of time this offseason with Vital to resolve any issues left from their rocky first season together.

“We understand him better,” Hurley said, “and he understands how I need him to carry himself. I want him to play with the mindset that he’s not at odds with the staff. The staff’s behind him, ‘we just need you to play a certain way.’”

Vital, who averaged 14.2 points and 5.6 assists, said, “The communication is the best that it’s been. I think we have the relationship a coach and a senior guard are supposed to have in a winning program.”
———

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I'd like to see much better perimeter defense. We gave up way too many guard drives last year, that breaks down the defense. The big comes to cover, leaves his guy for the dump off or the offensive rebound. The hallmark of defense in the Calhoun teams was getting beat to the hoop was extremely rare, or by a transcendent talent.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd like to see much better perimeter defense. We gave up way too many guard drives last year, that breaks down the defense. The big comes to cover, leaves his guy for the dump off or the offensive rebound. The hallmark of defense in the Calhoun teams was getting beat to the hoop was extremely rare, or by a transcendent talent.

I think we will for a couple of reasons. One we have more athletes out there to throw at people in a rotation. Bigger guys too. Hurley can finally yank anybody taking a play off and sit him on the bench knowing we have depth. Secondly, shot blocking. Carlton really improved late last year, Sid is strong in week side shot blocking and Akok could be a real force. So when guys do get by our perimeter defenders, we now have rim protectors. We have to stop over helping and leaving bigs open. I think Adams will emerge as a Lyman Depriest type player, maybe not quite that good on D, but a guy who can guard a lot of positions.

I think this team is going to be a major upside surprise. We have four new players. Three should be impact freshmen. We have experience, with a senior and 3 juniors who all saw a lot of minutes. Carlton is going to be hard to stop inside, and when they double him, Akok and or Polley is going to make them pay. Everyone is worried about guys creating shots, and while we need that, this team is going to score in transition and with an inside out game.

Reaction Score
I think we will for a couple of reasons. One we have more athletes out there to throw at people in a rotation. Bigger guys too. Hurley can finally yank anybody taking a play off and sit him on the bench knowing we have depth. Secondly, shot blocking. Carlton really improved late last year, Sid is strong in week side shot blocking and Akok could be a real force. So when guys do get by our perimeter defenders, we now have rim protectors. We have to stop over helping and leaving bigs open. I think Adams will emerge as a Lyman Depriest type player, maybe not quite that good on D, but a guy who can guard a lot of positions.

I think this team is going to be a major upside surprise. We have four new players. Three should be impact freshmen. We have experience, with a senior and 3 juniors who all saw a lot of minutes. Carlton is going to be hard to stop inside, and when they double him, Akok and or Polley is going to make them pay. Everyone is worried about guys creating shots, and while we need that, this team is going to score in transition and with an inside out game.

This year it's addition by subtraction - Cobb, Williams and Yakwe would have no chance to make this team.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think we will for a couple of reasons. One we have more athletes out there to throw at people in a rotation. Bigger guys too. Hurley can finally yank anybody taking a play off and sit him on the bench knowing we have depth.

I mean, we have an extra quality guy from last year in Akok, which is big. We lost Cobb (not important in and of itself), and gain Springs, who's probably not ready.

But you pull Akok or Carlton (or have foul trouble), and you are going to Whaley. Polley some at the 4, but that's not ideal, especially on the boards.

I think this bit is optimistic. These kids have a lot of potential, but they obviously aren't true top 20 impact freshman. They'll get PT on this team because we don't have many good options.

I'm hoping they come around in the last third of the season. I'm expecting them to be up and down freshman the first half, then maybe hit a wall, then hopefully come into their own.

That said, Akok's defensive/rebounding skills down low should be an immediate impact from the jump. But I don't think his 3pt shooting will translate right away, as it doesn't seem to be quite as developed yet (according to people who watched him) as everyone is hoping.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
We lost Cobb (not important in and of itself), and gain Springs, who's probably not ready.
Don't underestimate what Springs adds to the team. Compared to Cobb, the extra 3" of length and 20 IQ points will make a big difference.

Reaction Score
I mean, we have an extra quality guy from last year in Akok, which is big. We lost Cobb (not important in and of itself), and gain Springs, who's probably not ready.

But you pull Akok or Carlton (or have foul trouble), and you are going to Whaley. Polley some at the 4, but that's not ideal, especially on the boards.

I think this bit is optimistic. These kids have a lot of potential, but they obviously aren't true top 20 impact freshman. They'll get PT on this team because we don't have many good options.

I'm hoping they come around in the last third of the season. I'm expecting them to be up and down freshman the first half, then maybe hit a wall, then hopefully come into there own.

That said, Akok's defensive/rebounding skills down low should translate right away. But I don't think his 3pt shooting will translate right away, as it doesn't seem to be quite as developed yet (according to people who watched him) as everyone is hoping.
I don't see how it's an optimistic take saying Akok, Bouknight, and Gaffney will be impacts on this team. The three of them are going to play a lot and are an upgrade in talent, Akok and Bouk have a good chance at being starters this season.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't see how it's an optimistic take saying Akok, Bouknight, and Gaffney will be impacts on this team. The three of them are going to play a lot and are an upgrade in talent, Akok and Bouk have a good chance at being starters this season.

When I think of impact players, I'm thinking of dominant players. I might have misinterpreted his intent. That said, being an impact player on this particular team isn't necessarily saying a lot. We stunk last year.

I would call them contributing players. Freshman Shabazz Napier or Kemba Walker types. And those two ended up being some of our best ever.

Akok will help tremendously on the defensive side. But these kids will be up and down for a while. And they do not have a Jr Kemba or Sr Shabazz type to lean on. Hopefully Gilbert steps up this year.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
When I think of impact players, I'm thinking of dominant players. I might have misinterpreted his intent. That said, being an impact player on this particular team isn't necessarily saying a lot. We stunk last year.

I would call them contributing players. Freshman Shabazz Napier or Kemba Walker types. And those two ended up being some of our best ever.

Akok will help tremendously on the defensive side. But these kids will be up and down for a while. And they do not have a Jr Kemba or Sr Shabazz type to lean on. Hopefully Gilbert steps up this year.

Dominant players as freshmen. UConn has had what, 2-3 of those ever? That’s not what I mean. The average ncaa bubble team has zero dominant players at all.

Our overall talent level is up significantly. And yet we aren’t young. We can roll out a lineup of all experienced juniors and seniors if we need to. And yes, I expect Gilbert, Carlton, Polley and Vital to all be improved. Probably Sid and Adams too.

And you mentioned going to Whaley if we lose Carlton and Akok to fouls. Sure. And he’s 225 pounds of muscle heavier now. And we also have Springs. So I’m not sure that’s a bad situation. Polley will play a bunch at the 4 anyway. Whaley was always good on the boards, now he can hold ground on D as well.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Dominant players as freshmen. UConn has had what, 2-3 of those ever? That’s not what I mean. The average ncaa bubble team has zero dominant players at all.

Our overall talent level is up significantly. And yet we aren’t young. We can roll out a lineup of all experienced juniors and seniors if we need to. And yes, I expect Gilbert, Carlton, Polley and Vital to all be improved. Probably Sid and Adams too.

And you mentioned going to Whaley if we lose Carlton and Akok to fouls. Sure. And he’s 225 pounds of muscle heavier now. And we also have Springs. So I’m not sure that’s a bad situation. Polley will play a bunch at the 4 anyway. Whaley was always good on the boards, now he can hold ground on D as well.

I agree with much of what your saying. Definitely more talent than last year. But remember, we were 9th in the AAC last year. That's our starting point.

I guess then it comes down to what you mean by "major upside surprise". 20 wins? To win the league, we'd need to have an all time turnaround.

If we win 20 games, I'll be pretty happy.

Reaction Score

I think he would have said dominant if he meant dominant. Kemba and Bazz had impacts as freshmen but weren't dominant and there are tons of other freshmen who had an impact. It's college basketball, every team has impact freshmen.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think he would have said dominant if he meant dominant. Kemba and Bazz had impacts as freshmen but weren't dominant and there are tons of other freshmen who had an impact. It's college basketball, every team has impact freshmen.

Well, then that just means they can contribute a bit, OK. Doesn't say much. On a bad team, that would just mean the freshmen aren't quite as bad (not saying that's us).

Reaction Score
Well, then that just means they can contribute a bit, OK. Doesn't say much. On a bad team, that would just mean the freshmen aren't quite as bad (not saying that's us).
This isn't difficult, we've been lacking talent. We brought in better talent with this freshman class, they are going to contribute a lot this year to the success of our team. Nobody thinks they are going to dominate, don't know why you thought he was saying that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This isn't difficult, we've been lacking talent. We brought in better talent with this freshman class, they are going to contribute a lot this year to the success of our team. Nobody thinks they are going to dominate, don't know why you thought he was saying that.

I understand what you are saying, but he was talking about it in the context of "I think this team is going to be a major upside surprise". Which is why I thought he was talking about real impact players. I disagreed with that notion.

Because I think there will be more ups and downs than most. For instance, there will be a bunch of games where Akok barely plays due to foul trouble. There will be games where James is asleep. etc etc

I think the freshman will help and I'm excited for the season. I don't think they're a tournament team and I don't think we're winning the AAC. I don't see that 'major upside surprise' in relation to freshman impact or returning experience.

jmo tho

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I agree with much of what your saying. Definitely more talent than last year. But remember, we were 9th in the AAC last year. That's our starting point.

I guess then it comes down to what you mean by "major upside surprise". 20 wins? To win the league, we'd need to have an all time turnaround.

If we win 20 games, I'll be pretty happy.

You have to look beyond the record. We were 16-17. We lost our backup center for the season early on. We lost our power forward for the year. Those were our two most physical players. We lost Gilbert for a significant stretch and he wasn't 100% early on. We lost Jalen for a long stretch and while he returned, he was not close to 100% when he did. We played several games with no PG at all.

Despite all that we had close losses to Arizona and #11 Florida State. The OT loss @ Cinci came on a bad call and brain fart. Lost to WSU by 2 on the road.

From a talent perspective, minus the injuries, that was a 20 win team last year. This team is quite a bit better than last year's team, if healthy. I can see 23-24 wins potentially. Much does depend on the freshmen playing meaningful minutes and AG staying on the court. But we have depth for the first time in four years.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You have to look beyond the record. We were 16-17. We lost our backup center for the season early on. We lost our power forward for the year. Those were our two most physical players. We lost Gilbert for a significant stretch and he wasn't 100% early on. We lost Jalen for a long stretch and while he returned, he was not close to 100% when he did. We played several games with no PG at all.

Despite all that we had close losses to Arizona and #11 Florida State. The OT loss @ Cinci came on a bad call and brain fart. Lost to WSU by 2 on the road.

From a talent perspective, minus the injuries, that was a 20 win team last year. This team is quite a bit better than last year's team, if healthy. I can see 23-24 wins potentially. Much does depend on the freshmen playing meaningful minutes and AG staying on the court. But we have depth for the first time in four years.

Yes, there were definitely significant extenuating circumstances, but I also saw a team that struggled defensively (both team and individual) and couldn't generate much offense.

The second and third best teams in the AAC last year were in that 23/24 win bucket. I'll be surprised but happy to eat crow if we are a top 4 team in the conference and at-large tourney bid. I'm just not seeing it yet.

Some of it's going to depend on how quickly we gel in the first half of the season (as always). I also think we are very thin down low next year in terms of developed talent. Weathering foul trouble will be a problematic indeed.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yes, there were definitely significant extenuating circumstances, but I also saw a team that struggled defensively (both team and individual) and couldn't generate much offense.

The second and third best teams in the AAC last year were in that 23/24 win bucket. I'll be surprised but happy to eat crow if we are a top 4 team in the conference and at-large tourney bid. I'm just not seeing it yet.

Some of it's going to depend on how quickly we gel in the first half of the season (as always). I also think we are very thin down low next year in terms of developed talent. Weathering foul trouble will be a problematic indeed.
Lets see how they do vs the Wagners, Maine, Stony Brooks, etc early in the season - That's been a really good bellwether in recent seasons

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom