Official practice getting started | The Boneyard

Official practice getting started

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
This is where the rubber hits the road fella's. Time to start getting excited about the upcoming season and how the new comers will perform and fit with the returning guys.
I think Gaffney will show he is more game ready than most here seem to think, Bauk & Akok should be in the fight for major minutes or even starting roles, specially Akok seeing as he has been around and should have a good grasp of what the coaches expect and want from him & Springs should give good minutes when grit is needed down low.
I can't wait to see how we perform defensively, I thing we have enough depth to really go after people, sub in fresh bodies to keep pressuring opponents and impose their will on many teams.
Offensively we appear to have more options then in past years & will be fun to see how it goes. The fast break will be more explosive.
I believe that by seasons end we will be fighting to get over the bubble or a post season berth in some form (NIT min).
Thoughts and expectations from the Boneyard

Reaction Score
Cannot wait to see how good this team is in February, and I'm quite convinced that we will be. Tough and cohesive on defense, and an offense clicking on all cylinders, with an effective fast break(especially in the 2nd half), and a half court attack that values sharing the ball and multiple scoring options.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last year’s defense was probably the worst I’ve seen from a Hurley-coached team. I’m looking forward to not watching that again and am hopeful to see more similarities with the URI teams from 14-15 and 16-17. Last year, some of the guys just never grasped it, others were not good in it. Experience and roster changes should lead to much better results on the defensive end.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Cannot wait to see how good this team is in February, and I'm quite convinced that we will be. Tough and cohesive on defense, and an offense clicking on all cylinders, with an effective fast break(especially in the 2nd half), and a half court attack that values sharing the ball and multiple scoring options.
I feel the opposite. Can't shake the memory of what a disaster this team was without Jalen.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
They also missed Alterique at the same time. And when he came back he needed time to recover.
Yes. And now we're thinking about how it's absolutely essential for AG to stay healthy all year, which...

Anyway, I'm 100% certain we're on the right track on the program. I'm nowhere near certain it will show in our record this year (though I'll bet our defense improves a ton).

Reaction Score
I feel the opposite. Can't shake the memory of what a disaster this team was without Jalen.
We were a disaster with Jalen and without Jalen against any good teams. We went toe to toe with Houston, Cincy, and Wichita but the group just never learned how to win games. Poor Jalen came back for the last game of the season with no Alterique and we lost to Houston by 40. Don't like to rehash these losing seasons but we were bad with and without Jalen, it's why we had losing records. On to bigger and brighter times...

Reaction Score
Yes. And now we're thinking about how it's absolutely essential for AG to stay healthy all year, which...

Anyway, I'm 100% certain we're on the right track on the program. I'm nowhere near certain it will show in our record this year (though I'll bet our defense improves a ton).
If the ball is sticking at all on offense we’ll be in trouble. Besides Al, I’m not sure anyone can create for themself. CV somewhat and potentially Bouk.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
If the ball is sticking at all on offense we’ll be in trouble. Besides Al, I’m not sure anyone can create for themself. CV somewhat and potentially Bouk.
I actually wonder how much of the offense we'll run through the post. Josh can get buckets, and he's a very good passer from that spot. Wouldn't be at all surprised at some inside-out play, especially when we go with 3 guards and a shooter PF (either Akok or Polley).

Reaction Score
Bouk can and I think Gaffney can some but you're right, creating our own shot will most likely be problematic.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Casual fans don't have the inside info on how practice is going, @Chief00

Reaction Score
Last year’s defense was probably the worst I’ve seen from a Hurley-coached team. I’m looking forward to not watching that again and am hopeful to see more similarities with the URI teams from 14-15 and 16-17. Last year, some of the guys just never grasped it, others were not good in it. Experience and roster changes should lead to much better results on the defensive end.
Agree.
We should see an overall improvement most notably down low with Carlton getting bigger and stronger but more so having Akok in the mix. By enrolling early and being able to practice Hurley’s system should pay invaluable dividends.

Reaction Score

Yes in February for sure but for me it's November. I want to see how they jump out of the gate especially defensively and the buy in. Will they guard better and be more fundamentally active for 40 minutes, will they make plays on that end and rebound the ball better? The freshman aside the buy in should be full so I want to see a ton of passion and aggressiveness while seeing the improvement of a more experienced and stronger team. No reason to wait other than watch the frosh transition themselves. As usual can't lose to those you shouldn't and need to beat those who you're as good as or throw the "upset" in here and there. The early signs will point to the confidence of the improving players as well as the coaches driving the way they need to play. Can't wait.

pj

Reaction Score
I'm optimistic because they finally have depth and versatility. They'll rely on freshmen for a lot, so it's going to be a challenging year, but I find these years with rapid visible growth from November to March to be the most fun years to be a fan. I love seeing teams learn and develop.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes in February for sure but for me it's November. I want to see how they jump out of the gate especially defensively and the buy in. Will they guard better and be more fundamentally active for 40 minutes, will they make plays on that end and rebound the ball better? The freshman aside the buy in should be full so I want to see a ton of passion and aggressiveness while seeing the improvement of a more experienced and stronger team. No reason to wait other than watch the frosh transition themselves. As usual can't lose to those you shouldn't and need to beat those who you're as good as or throw the "upset" in here and there. The early signs will point to the confidence of the improving players as well as the coaches driving the way they need to play. Can't wait.

I want that rebounding coming from the front court too. You can't run a fast break or transition offense if your two guards (Adams and Vital) are two of your leading rebounders. We want the guards catching outlets near midcourt and putting pressure on opponents before they can set their D.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score

What do you think their record will be?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We were a disaster with Jalen and without Jalen against any good teams. We went toe to toe with Houston, Cincy, and Wichita but the group just never learned how to win games. Poor Jalen came back for the last game of the season with no Alterique and we lost to Houston by 40. Don't like to rehash these losing seasons but we were bad with and without Jalen, it's why we had losing records. On to bigger and brighter times...

The crazy thing last year was there was noticeable improvement both individually and team-wise from the prior year. So we looked better in a number of areas (and were by KenPom), yet the record still sucked.

These guys have yet to show they know how to win. We'll see.

Reaction Score
Some very understandable concern expressed about our shot-creation. We all suffered through watching a Jalen-less team last year and lord knows it wasn't pretty. Here's how I see us scoring even when our halfcourt offense isn't working optimally:
1) Alterique. He's healthy now and should be able to drive & draw contact at will. Whether he can do so and stay healthy remains to be seen.
2) Josh. His ability to turn missed shots into 2 points was excellent last year, and it should be even better this year with his additional strength. I think this will be helped even more by the rebounding upgrade that Akok provides. And on that note:
3) Akok. When ball movement isn't generating good looks, Akok's ability to hit a 10 or 15 ft jumper over a likely shorter 3 or 4 will be huge.

Reaction Score
Some very understandable concern expressed about our shot-creation. We all suffered through watching a Jalen-less team last year and lord knows it wasn't pretty. Here's how I see us scoring even when our halfcourt offense isn't working optimally:
1) Alterique. He's healthy now and should be able to drive & draw contact at will. Whether he can do so and stay healthy remains to be seen.
2) Josh. His ability to turn missed shots into 2 points was excellent last year, and it should be even better this year with his additional strength. I think this will be helped even more by the rebounding upgrade that Akok provides. And on that note:
3) Akok. When ball movement isn't generating good looks, Akok's ability to hit a 10 or 15 ft jumper over a likely shorter 3 or 4 will be huge.
We all suffered through watching a team with Jalen as well last year, no need for revisionist history. Jalen played in 24 games last year and we went 13-11. Our wins with Jalen were Morehead State, University of Missouri-Kansas City, Syracuse, Cornell, New Hampshire, UMass-Lowell, Lafayette, Manhattan, Drexel, SMU, Tulane, Wichita, and East Carolina.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom