Official NLI thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Official NLI thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So what are the chances Lagow still signs? He seemed genuinely enthusiastic about coming here. Hope UCONN still has a spot for him.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
First: while someone, without naming their real name, so eloquently suggested they had nudged me anywhere suggests some insecurity issues which should have been long ago addressed and the hopeful nudge is exagerrated because my son still has a loi.

Second: I have always held that the Boyles kid seems like a great kid for the program but I guess that must have been overlooked.

Third: It is true that Richard only had one other offer, but then he did commit early and in fairness it has to be recognized that most kids make a circuit and gain exposure to schools. Richard did not, thought he had a home, and wanted to elliminate the distractions for the season.

And lastly: I do not care about Uconn football or even if my son plays anywhere. If he were to join the Uconn family then my family would sell used garmets on the corner as a fundraiser if asked and if it helped the school. Fortunately, I do not think the school or the program needs me as a corner used garmet salesperson. Look, if he were after a big school commitment he should have waited it out and you can look around and see enough offers to kids that there was one to be had. I have tried to get him to not play, to enjoy college, but I also tried to keep him from playing when he was 12. That did not work and I will not have any say this time either. But I will leave kris1 and others who want to throw stones this way at this time......he still holds an offer from Uconn and it is valid for 20 days and is there anyone on this board that really thinks having three freshmen QB's is a good idea? If you do, then I am sorry to bother you. All I know is that he was deeply dissapointed when he woke up, now he is just angry, but he still holds the golden ticket in the form of a loi to Uconn and there is not a damn thing anyone can do about that.

Reaction Score
First: while someone, without naming their real name, so eloquently suggested they had nudged me anywhere suggests some insecurity issues which should have been long ago addressed and the hopeful nudge is exagerrated because my son still has a loi.

Second: I have always held that the Boyles kid seems like a great kid for the program but I guess that must have been overlooked.

Third: It is true that Richard only had one other offer, but then he did commit early and in fairness it has to be recognized that most kids make a circuit and gain exposure to schools. Richard did not, thought he had a home, and wanted to elliminate the distractions for the season.

And lastly: I do not care about Uconn football or even if my son plays anywhere. If he were to join the Uconn family then my family would sell used garmets on the corner as a fundraiser if asked and if it helped the school. Fortunately, I do not think the school or the program needs me as a corner used garmet salesperson. Look, if he were after a big school commitment he should have waited it out and you can look around and see enough offers to kids that there was one to be had. I have tried to get him to not play, to enjoy college, but I also tried to keep him from playing when he was 12. That did not work and I will not have any say this time either. But I will leave kris1 and others who want to throw stones this way at this time......he still holds an offer from Uconn and it is valid for 20 days and is there anyone on this board that really thinks having three freshmen QB's is a good idea? If you do, then I am sorry to bother you. All I know is that he was deeply dissapointed when he woke up, now he is just angry, but he still holds the golden ticket in the form of a loi to Uconn and there is not a damn thing anyone can do about that.
You don't have to answer to anyone. Do as you please. If your sons comes, we'd welcome him with open arms. And he'd get to play your alma mater too. Unless we go to another conference.

Reaction Score
Didn't Calhoun talk about all his past great players. Non stop. It seemed like he did ok.

And honestly, I am not up on the ties he wore. But I would love to know if you approved of them.
Yes I remember in his early years he always talked about Reggie Lewis and Perry Moss.

Reaction Score
The attack on you was so unwarranted and unfair that it quickly received 21 likes.

But don't let the view of basically everyone cause you to reflect on whether you might have been totally out of line.

Out of line for speaking the truth, you really believe this whole Lago thing went down today? You can't be that naive. Fact is Lago's father, knew he wasn't signing (despite posting otherwise today repeatedly), Lago knew he wasn't signing, and the uconn coaching staff had already decided that they were gonna look around and most likely told Lago to do the same thing. Do you think kivon taylor got a scholarship offer today at noon. Nonsense.

So you can sit around thinking that this "kid may be on the fence", and continue to believe that Lago is sick today, laying in the bed posting on twitter, half dead, and that fax is coming on friday as long as other boneyarders play nice and kiss up. Talk about gullible, you think trying like all of Kyle Lago's posts is gonna make him send his son to somewhere that he doesn't think is the best place for him. That's their families decision, and its bigger than football.

The man has every right to do what's best for his son... and I would never fault him for that....do I think R Lago was sick today.... yes.....but clearly to say that he is so sick that he can't sign his name, but he can text and type is ridiculous. and it is clear that K.Lago and the uconn coaching staff had alot of friction regarding how many QB should be in this class. Lago believed that he could dictate who the school recruits and that's where the discord came from.

And I don't think that Lago had the leverage to keep the coaching staff waiting after signing day. Its not like clowney in 2011 where he can wait 4 weeks after signing day and there are 20 schools that are willing to wait. Spots are filling up rapidly. You think my post to k lago was rude, I was just being real. You can't try to hold the school hostage for your son's signature when he's only got 2 offers. The man even wrote that he would pay for his son's school rather than have him go somewhere that wasn't the best, .

Reaction Score
Butch...not sure if that's appropriate to post here. Too personal, but that's just my opinion.

Reaction Score
huskynation:

the comment about the not needing the scholarship was when I knew too.

It's kind of ironic, because we've got a QB, graduating in the spring, that's started, and actually got his name in the record books(4 TDs) in a game, and wasn't on scholarship.

I bet Mr. Lagow didn't know that.

pj

Reaction Score

Mr. Lagow, glad to hear you have recovered from thyroid cancer. It sounds like your family has been through a lot, it's great that everything is on the upswing except for this little hiccup in Richard's recruitment.

If there were three freshman QBs, meaning if Richard chose to sign with UConn, there would still only be 5 QBs on the roster. One of those 5 (three freshman) QBs is lightly regarded as a QB (no FBS or FCS offers until signing day) but has the athletic tools to play a number of positions. Presumably he was brought in as insurance and is willing to move to another position if he loses the QB competition, which if the judgments of recruiters is an indication he probably will.

Frankly, I don't think competition should even figure in you or your son's judgment. There is competition at every school and whether they are in the same class or not, any one on the roster can beat the others out. Just expect the competition, tell your son to go where he can get great coaching, great facilities, great support, great teammates, and a great education. If he has those things then he will be a winner no matter how the QB competition shakes out, because he will have had the opportunity to get the most out of his own talents.

It seems you have a 20 day window to entertain offers and reconsider what you want to do. More power to you. I hope Richard has attractive offers and finds one he is happy to accept.

Reaction Score
Out of line for speaking the truth, you really believe this whole Lago thing went down today? You can't be that naive. Fact is Lago's father, knew he wasn't signing (despite posting otherwise today repeatedly), Lago knew he wasn't signing, and the uconn coaching staff had already decided that they were gonna look around and most likely told Lago to do the same thing. Do you think kivon taylor got a scholarship offer today at noon. Nonsense.

So you can sit around thinking that this "kid may be on the fence", and continue to believe that Lago is sick today, laying in the bed posting on twitter, half dead, and that fax is coming on friday as long as other boneyarders play nice and kiss up. Talk about gullible, you think trying like all of Kyle Lago's posts is gonna make him send his son to somewhere that he doesn't think is the best place for him. That's their families decision, and its bigger than football.

The man has every right to do what's best for his son... and I would never fault him for that....do I think R Lago was sick today.... yes.....but clearly to say that he is so sick that he can't sign his name, but he can text and type is ridiculous. and it is clear that K.Lago and the uconn coaching staff had alot of friction regarding how many QB should be in this class. Lago believed that he could dictate who the school recruits and that's where the discord came from.

And I don't think that Lago had the leverage to keep the coaching staff waiting after signing day. Its not like clowney in 2011 where he can wait 4 weeks after signing day and there are 20 schools that are willing to wait. Spots are filling up rapidly. You think my post to k lago was rude, I was just being real. You can't try to hold the school hostage for your son's signature when he's only got 2 offers. The man even wrote that he would pay for his son's school rather than have him go somewhere that wasn't the best, .
You have way overrated the weight I put on anonymous public posters. And it is Lagow. If you are going to anonymously insult me at least get my name right. You can cut and paste it for goodness sake. :)

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I don't know...the whole "family member who tweets or posts on a message board" thing doesn't usually work out well.

That's my only take away from this situation.

pj

Reaction Score
Richard may or may not decide to come here, but his dad is doing very well in Likes Received per Message.

Reaction Score
Ugh! Best of luck to Richard. Sounds like an Athletic scholarship is not essential for his education. He is in enviable position in that regard.

Reaction Score
I don't know...the whole "family member who tweets or posts on a message board" thing doesn't usually work out well.

That's my only take away from this situation.
I will second that right about now.........as I am posting. Knew I should have gone with an anonymous name. :) this is a whipping and it sounds like the program got everything it needed and in a small way my son at least helped talk to some recruits and it is still a whipping. :)

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Glad to see that HCP can bring in a quality class that is underlined by in state talent. He can recruit and he seems to be winning over the state's HS coaches. If we can keep him as a front man with good OC's and a solid staff maybe, just maybe, he can build that enduring foundation that we need. He needs to work on his tie selection though. I'm thinking mauve or teal even...

Reaction Score
I will second that right about now.........as I am posting. Knew I should have gone with an anonymous name. :) this is a whipping and it sounds like the program got everything it needed and in a small way my son at least helped talk to some recruits and it is still a whipping. :)

I warned you a long time ago not to be posting.

Reaction Score
Not a great to knock the kid considering we haven't bowled - even in the Gasex Chili Bowl - in two years. Look, we'd all like to have had him. But, it's a business and UConn did what they felt was in their best interest, and so should this kid. If he was your boy, you'd probably want that, right? Heaven forbid his pops do the same.
If my kid committed to a school 7 months ago, I would hope he would honor it. I personally value the education more then football. And whether its in the classroom or on the field, there will always be competition. I will not teach my son to fear failure. And I certainly will not shelter him from an opportunity to compete. I want him to be confident in all he does. If you compete and you lose, learn from. You have to embrace failure because in all facets of life, it's inevitable. How you handle failure will shape who you become. I would expect my son to compete, be a good teammate, and value the FREE education he would receive from a top notch university.

Reaction Score

Mr Lagow, I've been a UConn fan since my Fr year there in 1964 and have seen UConn grow in basketball from a regional team to multiple national championships. People [JC for one] said and believed we could reach that height, and today many of us believe UConn can be a national power in football too. To do that we need support from the state/donors [we have that] and a QB like Richard to take us there. There will always be competition at every position for a program with those aspirations. As you know, CT is a great place to live--validated by the fact that many of our former athletes make their homes here. The school has made great strides academically and is considered a top public university today. Some people on this board have been critical of todays development, but that is because they are passionate about UConn Football [maybe some are just jerks though!]. Most of us still hope Richard picks UConn-a lot of love awaits him here to be sure. I wish him well in deciding his future in any case.

Reaction Score
Mr. Lagow, glad to hear you have recovered from thyroid cancer. It sounds like your family has been through a lot, it's great that everything is on the upswing except for this little hiccup in Richard's recruitment.

If there were three freshman QBs, meaning if Richard chose to sign with UConn, there would still only be 5 QBs on the roster. One of those 5 (three freshman) QBs is lightly regarded as a QB (no FBS or FCS offers until signing day) but has the athletic tools to play a number of positions. Presumably he was brought in as insurance and is willing to move to another position if he loses the QB competition, which if the judgments of recruiters is an indication he probably will.

Frankly, I don't think competition should even figure in you or your son's judgment. There is competition at every school and whether they are in the same class or not, any one on the roster can beat the others out. Just expect the competition, tell your son to go where he can get great coaching, great facilities, great support, great teammates, and a great education. If he has those things then he will be a winner no matter how the QB competition shakes out, because he will have had the opportunity to get the most out of his own talents.

It seems you have a 20 day window to entertain offers and reconsider what you want to do. More power to you. I hope Richard has attractive offers and finds one he is happy to accept.
Thank you and I stand by what I have said before, Storrs is exactly the kind of town I would want him to go to college. And whatever a person's position in this life I am completely convinced that most parents only want to help their kid down the road as smoothly as possible.

Reaction Score
If my kid committed to a school 7 months ago, I would hope he would honor it. I personally value the education more then football. And whether its in the classroom or on the field, there will always be competition. I will not teach my son to fear failure. And I certainly will not shelter him from an opportunity to compete. I want him to be confident in all he does. If you compete and you lose, learn from. You have to embrace failure because in all facets of life, it's inevitable. How you handle failure will shape who you become. I would expect my son to compete, be a good teammate, and value the FREE education he would receive from a top notch university.
I think that maybe everyone is assuming he broke a commitment. He still hold the loi and has not de-committed. So, where is the fly in the ointment? You have to think this through before throwing an 18 year old under the bus when he has not taken one single college visit since committing.

S

storrsbred1

Happy to hear you beat the big C. I lost my wife to that damn disease and I hate the word. Additionally, happy to read about your "doing the right thing" in your career. There are a lot of people in the world that would just have played along with the program. So, in my book, you are a big winner.

It's always nice to have another card to play and it appears you do. Without trying to preach, I would caution that sooner or later kids will need to make their own mistakes/lives and you have to trust that you did the best job of preparing them to make those decisions.

Good luck with whatever happens in your son's life.

Reaction Score
Saban must be OK with 3 freshman qbs because that is exactly what he has coming into Alabama in the 2013 class. Actually all 3 enrolled in January.

The problem that Pasqualoni faced was the simple fact the the Lagow's seemed to waffle on the commit when UConn entertained a 2nd QB. That had to throw up some serious red flags whether intended or not. I would guess that at least 90% or more teams have brought in 2 qbs in a class in the last few years. The staff HAD to go out and find another QB. They did so, but left the door open for Lagow by finding a QB that could shift positions. The staff did exactly what the should have done in this situation.

Edsall always ended his signing day conferences with a strong statement about being done and there are no more spots. Not sure if Pasqualoni did the same.

Reaction Score
@UConnFootball: Jalen Stevens a 6-4 220 DE from Goose Creek, SC and Goose Creek HS is a Husky! Welcome Jalen! #bleedblue #signingday

THIS is the kid I want to see terrorizing the outside lane for years to come! He is the real deal from what I heard from an inside source!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom