Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged)

Reaction Score
Muffet always had someone who could score inside. So, there was an inside/outside game that’s non existent with this team.
There's that. But she also had movement, cutting, back door cuts, open 3 point shots. She also optimized her offensive schemes to match the players she had. We do desperately need a post player, I agree. Niele's offense will hopefully work better with an elite post. But I don't think we will ever be a FF or championship level team with her offense. Good teams will shut us down. I guess I shouldn't get that far ahead. We will see how the season plays out. Hopefully we can retain as many as possible.

Reaction Score
There's that. But she also had movement, cutting, back door cuts, open 3 point shots. She also optimized her offensive schemes to match the players she had. We do desperately need a post player, I agree. Niele's offense will hopefully work better with an elite post. But I don't think we will ever be a FF or championship level team with her offense. Good teams will shut us down. I guess I shouldn't get that far ahead. We will see how the season plays out. Hopefully we can retain as many as possible.
I think there’s also the problem that Hannah is more of a shoot first guard. I saw more backcuts last year with OM. There’s been a ton of open 3’s, but a lack of consistency making them.

There’s a lot more high screens this year, where Hannah does her thing. This is particularly true when we get behind due to poor shooting, and Hannah is our only option to get back in the game by doing her thing, which she does quite well. She’s won a lot of games by her effort.

This team would not sniff the tournament without HH, but the combination of losing OM, Ritsch, Prosper and Soni, who is now back, but not 100%, is a tough situation for any coach. Hopefully, our training staff and S&C can get everybody back healthy and this plague of injuries stops.

I think we could have game planned and played better to compete with NC State, but they have a more well rounded roster than we do due to our injury situation and our poor big play.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ND, down 30-27 at half, goes on a 21-9 run in the third quarter and pretty much plays Duke equally in the 4th to take a 70-62 win at Cameron. Overall, the Irish outscored Duke 23-16 off turnovers, with 12 of those points off 8 turnovers in the third quarter. Hannah Hidalgo and Sonia Citron both had 4 steals.

Hidalgo led the Irish with 23 points, with Maddy Westbeld scoring 14 and Citron 12. Westbeld also led the game with 9 rebounds. KK Bransford and Nat Marshall had very solid games off the bench, scoring 8 and 6, respectively, while also playing with energy and making good decisions.
Reigan Richardson led the Blue Devils with 23 on 8-17 shooting. Speaking of, both teams shot well from the field overall: Irish shot 48% and 35% from three, while Duke was 44% overall, but not quite as efficient from three, at 30%.

Solid road win and bounce-back for ND after getting wiped out at home by NC State. Next games: Clemson at home on Thursday and then up to BC on Sunday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really good game. I really liked the pick and roll action in the third quarter as well as the defensive intensity. Rebounding improved as well. KK was big in the 2nd half. I thought her decision making and passing were stellar.

Reaction Score
KK Bransford and Nat Marshall had solid games off the bench, scoring 8 and 6, respectively, while also playing with energy and making good decisions.
That 3rd quarter run with KK and Nat was perhaps the most impressive of the season.

KK was able to use her size to penetrate and dish to Nat and hit mid range jumpers. Nat is quicker to the ball than Watson and didn’t try 3 moves to finally get her shot off. She was quick and decisive and she’s longer to disrupt cross court passes.

I don’t see how Ivey cannot at least try these 2 as her starters and see what she gets from them getting more minutes together.

Reaction Score
Another poor shooting start by the Irish, but the talent disparity finally won out.

The common denominator of these poor starts is inaccurate jump shots, a lot which are 3-pointers. I’d love to see Ivey design plays where Sonia can slash to the basket and Maddy gets jump shots around the free throw line. Anything, but all the long distance bombs.

Credit to AD for hustling and getting fast break layups, but this can’t be what Ivey expected as a long range shooter. Perhaps the long season and the faster pace of the ACC has worn her out, but she is not a reliable outside shooter right now. Maddy is the most player reliable game in and game out.

Dontavia Wagonner’s 25 points, often offensive rebounders, was a reminder that ND is vulnerable to quick, athletic players inside. Unfortunately , the better teams have two to three players like this.

It would take a string of very accurate outside shooting games by AD, SC,HH and MW to make a run in this tournament. Unfortunately , I don’t see that happening.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another poor shooting start by the Irish, but the talent disparity finally won out.

The common denominator of these poor starts is inaccurate jump shots, a lot which are 3-pointers. I’d love to see Ivey design plays where Sonia can slash to the basket and Maddy gets jump shots around the free throw line. Anything, but all the long distance bombs.

Credit to AD for hustling and getting fast break layups, but this can’t be what Ivey expected as a long range shooter. Perhaps the long season and the faster pace of the ACC has worn her out, but she is not a reliable outside shooter right now. Maddy is the most player reliable game in and game out.

Dontavia Wagonner’s 25 points, often offensive rebounders, was a reminder that ND is vulnerable to quick, athletic players inside. Unfortunately , the better teams have two to three players like this.

It would take a string of very accurate outside shooting games by AD, SC,HH and MW to make a run in this tournament. Unfortunately , I don’t see that happening.
Well I'm certain you're wrong and you should plan on watching ND win on April 7th! I'd make a wager but Texas doesn't allow online betting.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Oh, there you go again. ;)
As is our persepctives/personalities, you see Irish things a bit from the half-empty side, while I'll err from the half-full.
Well, we'll never get bored. :D Interestingly, I agree with a lot of your premises (but not totally). Here goes:

- Over on the Bench, when someone posted on Satruday that this should not be a game, given the Irish won earlier by 50 (that's right, fifty) points, I pointed out that ND traditionally has had a tough time shooting long-distance shots at Conte. Even in an offense designed to get open looks, Michaela Mabrey and Maddie Cable put up clunkers. So, it's a tough place to shoot. With that in mind, I agree that the Irish should've come out looking to get Maddy going at her spots and set up some medium- to high-screens for Soni and HH to use to go downhill.

So I'll put that one the scout, not necessarily on Anna getting worn out. BTW, Niele is on record as getting her as a scorer, not a specialized three-pt. shooter -- that was Emma Risch.

- "Maddy is the most reliable player game in and game out." Completely and totally agree. Depending on what some bigger names (Brink, Reese) do, Maddy just may be catching WNBA scouts' eyes with her shooting, rebounding and ability to handle the ball for a 6'3" forward.

- Dontavia Waggoner had 37% of BC's 40 rebounds and 12 of their 20 offensive rebounds. However, ND started knocking down the disparity as the game went on and that was largely led by Maddy and Watson boxing, clawing, etc.
The trouble in the beginning was ND's weakside guards not doing, well, anything. Ivey stuck in the zone because she only had 6 functionable players.

I have no idea BC's coach will survive after this season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see yet another BC player -- Waggoner -- go somewhere else for her last season of eligibility.

- ND simply has to be ready out of the locker room against Va. Tech and can't fall behind by that margin.

Let's see how we align post-Va. Tech!!

Reaction Score
Oh, there you go again. ;)
As is our persepctives/personalities, you see Irish things a bit from the half-empty side, while I'll err from the half-full.
Well, we'll never get bored. :D Interestingly, I agree with a lot of your premises (but not totally). Here goes:

- Over on the Bench, when someone posted on Satruday that this should not be a game, given the Irish won earlier by 50 (that's right, fifty) points, I pointed out that ND traditionally has had a tough time shooting long-distance shots at Conte. Even in an offense designed to get open looks, Michaela Mabrey and Maddie Cable put up clunkers. So, it's a tough place to shoot. With that in mind, I agree that the Irish should've come out looking to get Maddy going at her spots and set up some medium- to high-screens for Soni and HH to use to go downhill.

So I'll put that one the scout, not necessarily on Anna getting worn out. BTW, Niele is on record as getting her as a scorer, not a specialized three-pt. shooter -- that was Emma Risch.

- "Maddy is the most reliable player game in and game out." Completely and totally agree. Depending on what some bigger names (Brink, Reese) do, Maddy just may be catching WNBA scouts' eyes with her shooting, rebounding and ability to handle the ball for a 6'3" forward.

- Dontavia Waggoner had 37% of BC's 40 rebounds and 12 of their 20 offensive rebounds. However, ND started knocking down the disparity as the game went on and that was largely led by Maddy and Watson boxing, clawing, etc.
The trouble in the beginning was ND's weakside guards not doing, well, anything. Ivey stuck in the zone because she only had 6 functionable players.

I have no idea BC's coach will survive after this season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see yet another BC player -- Waggoner -- go somewhere else for her last season of eligibility.

- ND simply has to be ready out of the locker room against Va. Tech and can't fall behind by that margin.

Let's see how we align post-Va. Tech!!
While I absolutely want ND ready immediately they can claw back in.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
So, this was one of the more interesting highlights Hannah Hidalgo had on Sunday vs. BC. First, she applies pressure, as is her wont, but then heads/has the ball roll up over her head to Sonia Citron who promptly puts it in and completes an old-fashioned three-pt. play. Hannah doing Hannah things + (It's fun for Irish f-- and many WBB fans, in general). :D

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Great dime from Hannah Hidalgo to Sonia Citron during Irish 71-58 Win over Va. Tech

Soni scored all 21 of her points in the second half as Irish pulled away in 4th quarter. Until then,
Hannah (21 pts., 12 rebounds and 6 assists) and Maddy Westbeld (19 pts., 10 rebounds) led the offensive charge.
Westbeld and Kylee Watson took turns blanketing Elizabeth Kitley, who scored 12 points. While George Amoore did score 20 points, it took her 24 shots and only had 2 assists. In the 2nd half, she was hounded by Citron.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great game all around beating Va Tech.

HH is the important catalyst for every win, but to me Maddy was the MVP of this game. She played a flawless first half hitting inside and out and had the strength to keep Kitley from getting inside position. It was a great performance to highlight her versatility. She has lost weight, which makes her quicker with greater stamina, without losing strength.

Soni overcame a weak 1st half with a strong second and -as is necessary to compete with the elite-the big 3 of Soni, HH and MW all played well. Hopefully this is going to be a consistent performance game in and game out as we head into tournament time.

The game plan to harass Kitley with the quick hands of HH and AD bothered Kitley who didn’t play well. Kudos to the scout. Also, the defensive intensity was there from the start, which translated to offensive efficiency and a fast start. This is the recipe to go as far as possible in the ACC and NCAA tournament.

I think Va Tech is a favorable matchup to us as, despite Kitley and their 3 point shooting accuracy, they don’t have the athleticism that the other ACC teams that have beaten us have. I’m looking forward to watching the Louisville game and hope we find solutions for their athleticism. We must match their intensity from the tip-off. No reason not for that to happen.

Reaction Score
I wanted to revisit this, because I think ND is doing a better job of hitting back door cuts. HH hit Soni several times last night and Nat also had a great back door pass to Soni for a score.

On a side note, I watched Kenny Brooks press conference and he was disappointed at how the game was called, implying that if another crew was calling the game, MW’s physicality pushing Kitley off the block would have been called a foul.

It’s a shame that this “it depends upon the officiating crew” could determine basketball games. Wbb has got to have consistent rules called consistently.

Reaction Score
Great game all around beating Va Tech.

HH is the important catalyst for every win, but to me Maddy was the MVP of this game. She played a flawless first half hitting inside and out and had the strength to keep Kitley from getting inside position. It was a great performance to highlight her versatility. She has lost weight, which makes her quicker with greater stamina, without losing strength.

Soni overcame a weak 1st half with a strong second and -as is necessary to compete with the elite-the big 3 of Soni, HH and MW all played well. Hopefully this is going to be a consistent performance game in and game out as we head into tournament time.

The game plan to harass Kitley with the quick hands of HH and AD bothered Kitley who didn’t play well. Kudos to the scout. Also, the defensive intensity was there from the start, which translated to offensive efficiency and a fast start. This is the recipe to go as far as possible in the ACC and NCAA tournament.

I think Va Tech is a favorable matchup to us as, despite Kitley and their 3 point shooting accuracy, they don’t have the athleticism that the other ACC teams that have beaten us have. I’m looking forward to watching the Louisville game and hope we find solutions for their athleticism. We must match their intensity from the tip-off. No reason not for that to happen.
Don't forget Kylee Watson who knocked passes away and bodied her away from her desired location. Kylee even switched to cover Amoore once and forced a bad play.

Reaction Score
I wanted to revisit this, because I think ND is doing a better job of hitting back door cuts. HH hit Soni several times last night and Nat also had a great back door pass to Soni for a score.

On a side note, I watched Kenny Brooks press conference and he was disappointed at how the game was called, implying that if another crew was calling the game, MW’s physicality pushing Kitley off the block would have been called a foul.

It’s a shame that this “it depends upon the officiating crew” could determine basketball games. Wbb has got to have consistent rules called consistently.
I can't find his press conference but if he said that my opinion of him goes in the dumpster. There were several games that I thought refs screwed ND but coach Ivey never said that.

Am I hearing this wrong?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I can't find his press conference but if he said that my opinion of him goes in the dumpster. There were several games that I thought refs screwed ND but coach Ivey never said that.

Am I hearing this wrong?
I wrote about this on the Bench: Long-story short -- Brooks is using the presser to kinda/sorta get the next ref crews (UVA, ACC Playoffs) to call what Maddy and Kylee were able to do under this crew. Brook's is never going to accuse Niele of physical play because he's a "good guy," but he knows that ND is onto something with how to throw Kitley -- and Amoore - off. Louisvile does the same thing with Cochran providing the lumbert for the Cardinals..

Besides the bodying, ND did a good job -- as noted -- of dropping guards when Kitley started dribbling. And they most certainly jumped the pick on the pick and roll. Putting Soni on Amoore in the fourth was pure genius: Citron's too long for Amoore to throw her passes around/over when she takes off to/on the baseline drives.

I noticed the shake of hands between Brooks and Niele was cordial, but not overly warm. ND's now got three straight on Va. Tech.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wrote about this on the Bench: Long-story short -- Brooks is using the presser to kinda/sorta get the next ref crews (UVA, ACC Playoffs) to call what Maddy and Kylee were able to do under this crew. Brook's is never going to accuse Niele of physical play because he's a "good guy," but he knows that ND is onto something with how to throw off Kitley -- and Amoore - off. Louisvile does the same thing with Cochran providing the lumbert for the Cardinals..

Besides the bodying, ND did a good job -- as noted -- of dropping guards when Kitley started dribbling. And they most certainly jumped the pick on the pick and roll. Putting Soni on Amoore in the fourth was pure genius: Citron's too long for Amoore to throw her passes around/over when she takes off to/on the baseline

I noticed the shake of hands between Brooks and Niele was cordial, but not overly warm. ND's now got three straight on Va. Tech.
So Ivey and staff have VT's number so far at least. I guess if the chalk holds ND & VT will play again in the ACC tournament. From what I remember Neile should make a statement about elbow/arm hooks by 6'6" players moving to the basket because I'm surprised Watson had a kidney left after the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong but refs usually don't call a lot of fouls in tournament play or try to balance them.

Reaction Score
Good opportunity to get to know high end prospects on a personal level. l
Maybe? Based on the age group, I would assume many of these players would have already committed by this point.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Maybe? Based on the age group, I would assume many of these players would have already committed by this point.
But not all. When Cori Close coached that loaded U-19 team, she had a high schooler named Lauren Betts as one of her centers. Betts promptly committed to Stanford, but when she wanted out........ Not saying that was the (sole) reason, but she knew Close.

And that was U-19 team that had Betts playing up, Caitlin Clark being the oldster on the team and Sonia Citron an incoming frosh. U-18 might have some undecideds and/or youngsters, as well.

Reaction Score
But not all. When Cori Close coached that loaded U-19 team, she had a high schooler named Lauren Betts as one of her centers. Betts promptly committed to Stanford, but when she wanted out........ Not saying that was the (sole) reason, but she knew Close.

And that was U-19 team that had Betts playing up, Caitlin Clark being the oldster on the team and Sonia Citron an incoming frosh. U-18 might have some undecideds and/or youngsters, as well.
It just seems to be a really tight timeline, with the exception of those who are playing up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom