Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged) | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
did Miles practice?
Not in a basketball sense. She's still in the midst of rehabbing knee injury and while Coach Ivey says she's making great progress, she'll still doing all non-basketball types of workouts.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not in a basketball sense. She's still in the midst of rehabbing knee injury and while Coach Ivey says she's making great progress, she'll still doing all non-basketball types of workouts.
She had major surgery. Has there been official word on what the injury was or is it still being kept private? I read an article where Ivey mentioned her own ACL surgery and recovery and wondered if that’s what happened.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
She had major surgery. Has there been official word on what the injury was or is it still being kept private? I read an article where Ivey mentioned her own ACL surgery and recovery and wondered if that’s what happened.
The exact nature is still being kept mum, but it is being acknowledged that it is was major. She seems to be actively rehabbing, but all on sidelines. Your guess is as good as mine (and most on The Bench), but ACL sounds right. If so, I'm not optimistic about a mid-season return...at least an effective one. Rather 'Liv just get better and I'm sure Coach Ivey feels the same.

In hindsight, getting a commitment from Hannah Hidalgo looks like a godsend.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Kate Koval Is Irish

As much as I'm proud of ND's recent track record as "Guard U," the fact remains that the Irish have won their two championships when they've had two stellar centers in the lineup: Ruth Riley and Jess Shepard.

I'm not saying Kate Koval is at their level(yet), but she sure as heck has the physical tools and size to do so. And her ability is pretty darn good, too.

Ласкаво просимо Кейт (Welcome Kate in Ukainian!)

Reaction Score
Kate Koval Is Irish

As much as I'm proud of ND's recent track record as "Guard U," the fact remains that the Irish have won their two championships when they've had two stellar centers in the lineup: Ruth Riley and Jess Shepard.

I'm not saying Kate Koval is at their level(yet), but she sure as heck has the physical tools and size to do so. And her ability is pretty darn good, too.

Ласкаво просимо Кейт (Welcome Kate in Ukainian!)

I'm late in congratulating the ND fans on this one. Like you said, ND need a strong post presence and I believe Koval gives them that. Another year of prep ball with the LuHi squad will help in getting her ready for the next level.

Reaction Score

Interview from Niele. She is very high on Hidalgo. Around the 4:25 mark she basically confirms that Miles tore her ACL, very subtly. Don't see how she can realistically come back this season.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Latest on Olivia Miles status....from 'Liv.
My reaction as an ND fan: come back when you're 100%, 'Liv. However, if that's by the time the ACC portion of the Irish schedule starts up after Xmas, all the better. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
I am late to the party on congratulating Coach Ivey and her Notre Dame program with the signing of Kate Koval. Heck of a get for Notre Dame. Coach Ivey slowly molding Notre Dame into her program. Congrats, Coach!!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
As witnessed on various other threads, no one really knows when 'Liv Miles will reappear in a Notre Dame women's basketball game.
In the meantime, incoming freshman Hannah Hidalgo will take over point guard responsibilities. And, folks being folks, thoughts have jumped ahead to when Ms. Miles comes back. Will she start and Hidalgo go back to the bench? The other way around? Or can they play on the floor together?

Here's an article pondering just that.

This article could present "pay-wall" issues for some, so I'll cut and paste an eye-catching segment: Coach Ivey is high on HH. How high? Skylar-Diggins comparison high.

“When I say she’s different, you guys will see that this year,” (Coach Niele) Ivey said. “When she steps on the court, her energy is at a different level. Everything is at a different level — defensively, offensively, her confidence, the way she makes everybody better around her.”

Ivey has a comparison for Hidalgo: Notre Dame legend Skylar Diggins-Smith. High praise.

“I would never do that if I didn’t feel very strongly about it,” Ivey said. “When Skylar came in, she changed the game. And everyone adapted to her energy. Hannah is the same way.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As witnessed on various other threads, no one really knows when 'Liv Miles will reappear in a Notre Dame women's basketball game.
In the meantime, incoming freshman Hannah Hidalgo will take over point guard responsibilities. And, folks being folks, thoughts have jumped ahead to when Ms. Miles comes back. Will she start and Hidalgo go back to the bench? The other way around? Or can they play on the floor together?

Here's an article pondering just that.

This article could present "pay-wall" issues for some, so I'll cut and paste an eye-catching segment: Coach Ivey is high on HH. How high? Skylar-Diggins comparison high.

“When I say she’s different, you guys will see that this year,” (Coach Niele) Ivey said. “When she steps on the court, her energy is at a different level. Everything is at a different level — defensively, offensively, her confidence, the way she makes everybody better around her.”

Ivey has a comparison for Hidalgo: Notre Dame legend Skylar Diggins-Smith. High praise.

“I would never do that if I didn’t feel very strongly about it,” Ivey said. “When Skylar came in, she changed the game. And everyone adapted to her energy. Hannah is the same way.”

That is some high praise for Hannah and to be honest, H2 is worthy of that type of praise. Hannah is that type of player. She got that dawg in her. That high competitive drive like Skylar. Hannah is going to be fun to watch. I might have to make that 7-hour drive from Minneapolis to South Bend to watch some games.

Reaction Score
I am going to assume it is an acl injury. And seeing as Paige, also an acl, only just got cleared for 5 on 5 after a 12 month rehab, I am also assuming Miles won't play this year.

Reaction Score
Miles would be a big loss but ND will be better than some anticipate IMO. Hidalgo is the real deal.
Not to mention Prosper got a lot of experience over the summer with both the Canadian Senior Women's and U19 squads. Those tournaments had their challenges that should serve her well this season.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Not to mention Prosper got a lot of experience over the summer with both the Canadian Senior Women's and U19 squads. Those tournaments had their challenges that should serve her well this season.
Agree. Gained confidence in her mid-range and driving moves.

Coach Ivey is very pleased with this year's overall team speed, aggressiveness and willingness to play defense all over the place. She'll move up pressure from time to time. That should feature/benefit Prosper and, of course, Hidalgo Would also expect to see transition baskets come out of that pressure.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ND Women's Hoops Recognized on Football Field During USC Game Saturday Night

From left to right:

Video coordinator Shane Turner, Asst. Coach Charel Allen, Asst. Coach Michaela Mabrey, Maddy Westbeld, Nat Marshall, Becky Obinma, Sonia Citron, KK Bransford, Olivia Miles, Kylee Watson, Anna DeWolfe, Hannah Hidalgo, Ass.t Coach Carlos Knox, Jenna Brown, Cass Prosper, Sarah Cernugel, Emma Risch, Head Coach Niele Ivey, Assc. Head Coach Carol Owens.

Thanks to BabaGhanouj for bringing to my attention on The Bench and Fighting Artichoke for id'ing everyone.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Sonia Citron, Kylee Watson will join Coach Niele Ivey at ACC Tip-Off in Charlotte, NC on Oct. 24, which underscores that 'Liv Miles probably isn't going to be on the floor in Paris a week later.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Starting to hate you. It will build each day. ;)Then it will go away after Paris. Good luck in the ACC

I haven’t decided which of our opponents to pull for to win the ACC: Y’all, Duke or UNC. ( it won’t be Clem’s Son)
Ha! :eek::)
Game is so frickin' early in the season we won't know what's happening. And why do they have those shots of the Louvre? ;)

Things are starting to build over on the Bench. Folks with Orange memories remember Kamilla torching the Irish for 20-something in 'Liv Miles first game as an Irish. Now, Cardoso is with Dawn and we (almost certainly) don't have 'Liv. But we do have Sonia Citron, Maddy Westbeld and a very game Hannah Hidalgo, while you'll have zounds of highly rated players and transfers. Will take it all in and hope we see each other later in the year.

Then, get this, I get to go to Newark to see the Irish play NJIT. From the sublime....

Reaction Score
Ha! :eek::)
Game is so frickin' early in the season we won't know what's happening. And why do they have those shots of the Louvre? ;)

Things are starting to build over on the Bench. Folks with Orange memories remember Kamilla torching the Irish for 20-something in 'Liv Miles first game as an Irish. Now, Cardoso is with Dawn and we (almost certainly) don't have 'Liv. But we do have Sonia Citron, Maddy Westbeld and a very game Hannah Hidalgo, while you'll have zounds of highly rated players and transfers. Will take it all in and hope we see each other later in the year.

Then, get this, I get to go to Newark to see the Irish play NJIT. From the sublime....
The Sunday after Paris, we get to “Rest” - against Maryland! :eek:

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
If Anyone in Metro-NYC Area Is Interested in Seeing ND In Person, Tix to NJIT Game Are On Sale

Tickets for the Notre Dame vs NJIT game at NJIT's new facility just went on sale on their website. It's a general admission ticket for $20 (plus $2 for administrative fee). I've attached a link to get you to the site page.

Had a good conversation with Mike in the ticket office. Turns out that NJIT's coach, Mike Lane, is a 1990 ND grad. He's been at NJIT since the late teens and before that was an assistant at Bucknell, who have always been pretty good.
So, there's the ND connection, plus NJIT wants to show off their shiny new indoor athletic facility.

Game starts at 2 p.m. Eastern and doors open at 1 p.m. While it's a general admission ticket, you can order by section. I chose Section 111, which is right behind the visitor's bench (ND). Hope a few local Benchers and/or BY'ers can join us!

p.s. If you have any trouble with the website ordering, Mike says to give him a call at 973-596-5555.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom