Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged)

Reaction Score
It was good to see Anna DeWolfe make her threes and play with some swagger. We need her to hit open 3’s.

ND is so snake bitten. Watson was playing the best basketball of the season. Let’s hope this is a non surgical injury.

We can’t play worse than we did at home against NS State. We need to contain River Baldwin, but with only one big I expect her to bully Marshall. Nevertheless, as good as our big 3 have been playing I expect us to play well. I don’t want Maddy to play inside. She’s so dangerous as a 3 point shooter. Let them try to defend us as our stars play their game. Go Irish!

Reaction Score
Hopefully it’s a competitive game all the way the way through. It’s interesting the paths ND and State have gone down since the lone meeting nearly a month ago. Y’all are 7-0 with 4 straight wins over ranked teams while State has been very uneven since that game going 5-2 and almost every game being a grind.

ND seems to be peaking potentially and State can’t claim to be on our A game as of late.

The first time we played State did a great job overplaying Hidalgo to force her to her weak side and she had a poor game offensively. It’s hard to imagine a repeat of that to that extreme. The Packs offense has gone as James has gone lately. She can be sizzling but she can go cold, and when she’s been off sometimes offense can be hard to come by. Zoe Brooks has added a spark this tournament so far, much more of a probing and play making guard than Saniya although Rivers has her own strengths obviously.

I’ll be watching how State handles Hidalgos ball pressure, how they defend her and also how they deal with Westbeld. In theory Collins should feel comfortable stepping outside with her - Baldwin, not so much.

What would you guys say has been the catalyst for this 7-0 run y’all are on?

Reaction Score
Hopefully it’s a competitive game all the way the way through. It’s interesting the paths ND and State have gone down since the lone meeting nearly a month ago. Y’all are 7-0 with 4 straight wins over ranked teams while State has been very uneven since that game going 5-2 and almost every game being a grind.

ND seems to be peaking potentially and State can’t claim to be on our A game as of late.

The first time we played State did a great job overplaying Hidalgo to force her to her weak side and she had a poor game offensively. It’s hard to imagine a repeat of that to that extreme. The Packs offense has gone as James has gone lately. She can be sizzling but she can go cold, and when she’s been off sometimes offense can be hard to come by. Zoe Brooks has added a spark this tournament so far, much more of a probing and play making guard than Saniya although Rivers has her own strengths obviously.

I’ll be watching how State handles Hidalgos ball pressure, how they defend her and also how they deal with Westbeld. In theory Collins should feel comfortable stepping outside with her - Baldwin, not so much.

One of the avid ND fans can probably answer this better than me but I have watched a couple of their last few games, as they were on ESPN. ND have looked dialed in with great defensive game plans. Maybe Coach Ivey’s strong point?

They also usually have one back breaking quarter or run where they make the opponent completely lose their composure.

Hidalgo is the superstar but Citron has also been quietly playing very well over this whole stretch. Her knee injury seems to fortunately be in the rear view mirror and she has been contributing a lot to the scoring load using a variety of offensive maneuvers - tough drives to the hoop, timely cuts, mid-range jumpers.

She and Westbeld both have an impressively versatile offensive game. Hidalgo is great but she’s not carrying the team alone, she is getting a lot of help from those two on offense, and the whole team is playing good defense.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It was good to see Anna DeWolfe make her threes and play with some swagger. We need her to hit open 3’s.

ND is so snake bitten. Watson was playing the best basketball of the season. Let’s hope this is a non surgical injury.

We can’t play worse than we did at home against NS State. We need to contain River Baldwin, but with only one big I expect her to bully Marshall. Nevertheless, as good as our big 3 have been playing I expect us to play well. I don’t want Maddy to play inside. She’s so dangerous as a 3 point shooter. Let them try to defend us as our stars play their game. Go Irish!
Yeah, it's really a shame in that Kylee has been playing well and was totally into her role as defensive zone conductor.

Like you, I don't want Maddy exerting energy battling aircraft carriers, which is why I think we'll see zone in upcoming games. For today, let's see if NC State is the team we saw against FSU or the one that couldn't put a brick in the ocean from a dock. (Probably in-between).

Let 'er rip, Irish!

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has a lot of weapons; they are a completely different team than the one NC State held to 43 points a few weeks ago. I'll give Hidalgo her props and hope Zoe Brooks can "limit" her as in the South Bend matchup but for the record, the player that scares me the most is Maddy Westbeld. If she gets hot and remains hot, it could be a long afternoon for NC State. I can't recall exactly but I think Westbeld had a solid game in the first meeting, despite the low team score.

I hope it's a tense, on-the-edge-of-your-seat thriller that goes down to the last possession. Those kinds of games are nerve-wracking but also makes the games more exciting. And to the winner, goes the moniker of ACC Champion.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

@Jumper33 has made some excellent points:

- Irish are playing top-notch defense, starting with Hidalgo (who brings intensity) and Citron (who's long and has quick hands, too) and going through Westbeld, who is great weak-side defender. That also applies to Watson, who will unfortunately be out. Expect a lot of zone today.

- Ivey likes her defense to turn on her beloved transition game. She relies on good scouts and her #1 planner in big games is Michaela Mabrey, known on the BY as Mabrey1 for many years.

- The other reason, as Maddy herself has explained, is she, Sonia and Hannah have finally gotten a chance to play together for a a decent amount of time. All can score individually, but they're even better when they work with each other...which they do.

- If they get contributions from others -- Marshall, KK Bransford and especially Anna DeWolfe -- they can soar. DeWolfe can score, shoot the three and deliver laser passes. Plus, the moments not too big for her -- she's scored 2,000+ pts.
Great pick-up for the Irish.

Hope this helps a bit....the Watson injury will hurt defense and Marshall can't get in foul trouble.

Reaction Score

- Irish are playing top-notch defense, starting with Hidalgo (who brings intensity) and Citron (who's long and has quick hands, too) and going through Westbeld, who is great weak-side defender. That also applies to Watson, who will unfortunately be out. Expect a lot of zone today.

- Ivey likes her defense to turn on her beloved transition game. She relies on good scouts and her #1 planner in big games is Michaela Mabrey, known on the BY as Mabrey1 for many years.

- The other reason, as Maddy herself has explained, is she, Sonia and Hannah have finally gotten a chance to play together for a a decent amount of time. All can score individually, but they're even better when they work with each other...which they do.

- If they get contributions from others -- Marshall, KK Bransford and especially Anna DeWolfe -- they can soar. DeWolfe can score, shoot the three and deliver laser passes. Plus, the moments not too big for her -- she's scored 2,000+ pts.

Hope this helps a bit....the Watson injury will hurt defense and Marshall can't get in foul trouble.
Mostly agree. It will come down to the ND defensive plan and execution and whether the ND team that can shoot shows up.

My nightmare is an officiating crew that wants to use their whistles and see if ND can play with four.

Reaction Score
State has struggled more against the zone than man this year so that will certainly be interesting.

Westbeld and DeWolfe scare me for the fact that Wes loves to play a sagging man, emphasize protecting the paint and rebounding. He is happy to go under screens and give up long jumpers and 3s as opposed to lay ups and second chance points. It works more often than not, but State can give up 3s at times if someone gets hot.

Not sure State wants a tight whistle today either, Wes simply hasn’t given his bench much of a leash in big games. I fully expect it to be a 6 player rotation and Cox or Steele only play if fouls become an issue.

I’m interested to see how quickly Wes goes to Zoe and who he sits for her. At times this year Mimi has played the 5 and State has gone small - that seems possible given Watson’s status, but if Baldwin can establish herself on offense early then it will be interesting to see what 5 Wes leans on the most. Zoe has played well these last few games here and surprisingly made an impression as a defensive stopper against Fair and Syracuse a couple week’s back. Given her familiarity with Hidalgo, I’d imagine she gets a crack at guarding her at some point.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame pulled it out to beat NC State 55-51. Amazing coaching job and effort from the team especially on defense. I'm surprised the short handed Irish pulled it out.

Defense was mostly zone with a double team on Baldwin whenever she got the ball. Very active top of the zone and State just couldn't quite solve it. Came very close but just short. It was a great game all around.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Sonia Citron scored 10 in the first half, so Wes Moore assigned Saniya Rivers to stick to her, which was successful...Soni scored one (crucial) free throw the entire seconds half. So then Maddy Westbeld and Hannah Hidalgo scored every other Irish point in the second. Westbeld had two huge threes, including this one to tie the score:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Impressive set of wins this weekend with only 6 players in the last one. The team is gritty and tough. Ivey coaching very well lately and she is a class act.

Reaction Score
Congrats Irish fans!

As a State fan it stings to be so close, up 2 heading into the 4th and up 6 with about 7 minutes left. I was starting to believe! But Wesbeld got free for an open 3 and drained it and the game got tight again. I thought the difference at the end was Hidalgo.

We had no one to make something happen against the zone, Hannah made some acrobatic, highly difficult shots I thought when you guys needed points. We just didn’t have an answer.

3-17 from 3 will certainly do it. James and Rivers were 0-10 combined from 3. State never could get Mimi good clean looks (only 4 attempts) and for as good as River Baldwin was in the 3rd, she struggled early on.

9 of the last 11 ACC champs have been either the Irish or the Pack. Pretty impressive!

Hope yall make some noise in the big dance and hope we run it back again next year, with a different result.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Congrats Irish fans!

As a State fan it stings to be so close, up 2 heading into the 4th and up 6 with about 7 minutes left. I was starting to believe! But Wesbeld got free for an open 3 and drained it and the game got tight again. I thought the difference at the end was Hidalgo.

We had no one to make something happen against the zone, Hannah made some acrobatic, highly difficult shots I thought when you guys needed points. We just didn’t have an answer.

3-17 from 3 will certainly do it. James and Rivers were 0-10 combined from 3. State never could get Mimi good clean looks (only 4 attempts) and for as good as River Baldwin was in the 3rd, she struggled early on.

9 of the last 11 ACC champs have been either the Irish or the Pack. Pretty impressive!

Hope yall make some noise in the big dance and hope we run it back again next year, with a different result.
Thanks much. I was getting a bit antsy when you (the Wolfpack) took that six-point lead, as well, but Maddy is (now) not afraid of the big moment and she drained those threes. Then, as you noted, it was Hidalgo time.

I admire Saniya Rivers athletic ability and improved technical skills quite a bit, but you can tell the lead guard role is still not natural to her. (The pass out of bounds was her T/O, but Brooks should've been there.) I have no idea if everyone is coming back, but think NC State could benefit from a true PG to help run the half-court and get the ball moving (not dribbling). Any PG's coming in?

Still, the Pack is having a great season and once they put this game in the rear view, let's have the ACC move forward in the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
I guess in 2024 you never know who may leave unexpectedly. However Hayes announced she’s back for her Covid year. The only known losses are River Baldwin and Mimi Collins. So the front court is a bit of a question for next year.

I agree about point. Zoe could potentially be that as I think she’s much more of a natural point and Rivers could shift to the 3. State has Zam Jones coming in at PG as a freshman who is a McDonalds AA and ranked top 10. It’ll be interesting to see how Wes plays it with James, Rivers, Zoe and Jones there and Hayes returning as the starting 3.

I think State would be wise to find a 5 in the portal though. They have some decent young depth pieces on the bench at the 4 and 5 but not sure they are ready to carry the load game in game out yet.

Reaction Score
Magnificent win for the ACC Tourney crown, avenging the worst ACC loss of the year in a hard fought nail biter by two teams that gutted through fatigue the entire game.

When Hannah came out without her typical Supergirl energy I thought it might be a loss, but she has learned to manage the offense. She found her shooters and in crunch time did her thing.

Sonia started us out hot and Maddy countered their 2nd half run with clutch shooting. She is playing the best basketball of her career.

Nat Marshall gutted out her cut chin and made some great hustle plays. You can tell her outside shot is almost there. If she could be a consistent 10 foot jump shooter, it would open up her first step foot quickness to score on drives.

KK and AD played solid defense. If either of their shots are on we become a more dangerous team.

I’m looking forward to seeing how far we can go into the tournament. Barring more injuries, we are a year away from being at our best with the players we have, but this is a fun, competitive group. So, let’s go Irish!

Reaction Score
I guess in 2024 you never know who may leave unexpectedly. However Hayes announced she’s back for her Covid year. The only known losses are River Baldwin and Mimi Collins. So the front court is a bit of a question for next year.

I agree about point. Zoe could potentially be that as I think she’s much more of a natural point and Rivers could shift to the 3. State has Zam Jones coming in at PG as a freshman who is a McDonalds AA and ranked top 10. It’ll be interesting to see how Wes plays it with James, Rivers, Zoe and Jones there and Hayes returning as the starting 3.

I think State would be wise to find a 5 in the portal though. They have some decent young depth pieces on the bench at the 4 and 5 but not sure they are ready to carry the load game in game out yet.
State is really fun to watch with great ball movement and outside quickness and inside power. Not many players can strip the ball from Sonia Citron, but Saniya Rivers showed how athletic she is in doing so. She’s a star.

That was a great back and forth game and-despite the intensity and stakes on the line- both teams played with class. A credit to Wes Moore and Nielle Ivey for creating positive cultures for wbb.

Reaction Score
State is really fun to watch with great ball movement and outside quickness and inside power. Not many players can strip the ball from Sonia Citron, but Saniya Rivers showed how athletic she is in doing so. She’s a star.

That was a great back and forth game and-despite the intensity and stakes on the line- both teams played with class. A credit to Wes Moore and Nielle Ivey for creating positive cultures for wbb.
Nielle Ivey is easy to root for IMO. I love what Wesbeld brings as a stretch big, Citron seems like a steady reliable scorer and shooter and then Hannah is dynamite, easily my favorite non-Pack player in the league.

I mentioned Wes’ interesting situation at PG next year with Rivers, Zoe and a highly rated recruit coming in - similarly ND will have Miles back. How do yall see that playing out? Miles off the ball more or sort of sharing lead guard duties through out the game? ND could be scary next year with Hidalgo, Miles and Citron in the backcourt. Is Wesbeld back again next year as well?

Saniya Rivers is a star - but I think she’s still figuring it all out. At times she can be a little passive on offense or settles for long range jumpers which isn’t her strength. She can make some great passes but at times tries things that aren’t really there. I think consistency and really an aggressive mentality is what she needs to tap into to really blossom. The great thing about her is she stuffs a stat sheet. She doesn’t have to score to affect the game, she can defend taller players as well as guards, good help side with blocks, anticipates passes well, rebounds well … a lot to like. As a State fan I just want her to realize her athletic superiority more and drive to the cup with a purpose more often.

Reaction Score
Nielle Ivey is easy to root for IMO. I love what Wesbeld brings as a stretch big, Citron seems like a steady reliable scorer and shooter and then Hannah is dynamite, easily my favorite non-Pack player in the league.

I mentioned Wes’ interesting situation at PG next year with Rivers, Zoe and a highly rated recruit coming in - similarly ND will have Miles back. How do yall see that playing out? Miles off the ball more or sort of sharing lead guard duties through out the game? ND could be scary next year with Hidalgo, Miles and Citron in the backcourt. Is Wesbeld back again next year as well?

Saniya Rivers is a star - but I think she’s still figuring it all out. At times she can be a little passive on offense or settles for long range jumpers which isn’t her strength. She can make some great passes but at times tries things that aren’t really there. I think consistency and really an aggressive mentality is what she needs to tap into to really blossom. The great thing about her is she stuffs a stat sheet. She doesn’t have to score to affect the game, she can defend taller players as well as guards, good help side with blocks, anticipates passes well, rebounds well … a lot to like. As a State fan I just want her to realize her athletic superiority more and drive to the cup with a purpose more often.
I think -hoping she’s 100% recovered-Olivia will be the main ball handler, because I think she has better peripheral court vision, with Hanna’s as the shooting guard , but both can and will beat players off the dribble. If Miles can improve her outside shot and Westbeld comes back, we’ll have 4 depdable outside shooters in the starting 5, with two guards with rocket quickness and speed and athleticism for fast breaks.

I agree that Rivers is better beating players off the dribble. If she can improver outside shooting she’ll really stuff the stat sheet.

I’m looking forward to seeing your incoming guard and your thoughts about bringing in a big through the portal makes sense. Should be more great ACC basketball next year.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Agree with @Frankus completely that Olivia Miles will take over the main lead-guard responsibility for the Irish. She can see the whole court and -- at 5'10" -- has the height & ability to fire accurate skip passes over zones (her hook pass, if we've all forgotten, has velocity, accuracy and allows shooters like Citron to step right into a jumper or drive). Hidalgo, I'm sure will spell her from time to time, as will Citron and Bransford, just to shake things up. It's a good situation to be in.

For all intensive purposes, ND will have a first-year player back at shooting guard in 6'1" Emma Risch, whose season ended before it started due to hip injury and surgery. Having 'Liv as a PG will help her get open catch and shoot looks.

As noted, we don't know if Maddy Westbeld will take advantage of her Covid year to come back or make herself available to the pro draft. I suspect research is being done into what her chances are, but so much depends on what others do, as well. Could be a late decision. Based on that, Watson's injury and rehab and Nat Marshall's decision (she also has a Covid year), it could be an active or selective year in the portal for the Irish. While ND only has one incoming freshman, it is 6'5" center Kate Koval, which helps. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watkins as runner up POY and Freshman POY is a terrible mistake. Anyone who can shoot as poorly as she does in some games,18%, and well in others is not deserving of either. She has too many off games and too few assists imo.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
What seems like ages ago, Chantell Jennings and Sabreena Merchant of The Athletic had a story predicting what transfers would impact the regular season. Pepperdine Transfer forward Becky Obinma was listed at the tail end of that article with no mention of a certain transfer combo guard from Fordham to be found.

Going into the NCAA's, that guard -- Anna DeWolfe -- is now the 11th of 12 players listed as transfers who can make a difference to their teams in the NCAA's. I could quibble with USC's Kayla Padilla being 10th or Mathilda Ekh being 6th, but Ekh is cited as critically important if Elizabeth Kitley can't go for Va. Tech (get that).

In any case, way to turn the tables Anna....here's a cut and paste of her write-up with an emphasis on how her (good) shooting differentiates the Irish's performances.

11. Anna DeWolfe
Notre Dame guard
Key Stats: 8.5 ppg, 2.5 apg, 35.7 3-pt %

Strengths: shooting, transition, ball control

Question marks: 1-on-1 defense, rebounding

After tearing it up at Fordham, DeWolfe has seen her usage cut in half on a more talented roster at Notre Dame. The streamlining of her role has improved her efficiency — she’s posting the highest effective field-goal percentage of her career — and allowed her to give a better effort on the defensive end, where she has the best defensive rating of her five seasons. Hannah Hidalgo, Sonia Citron and Maddy Westbeld are the big three for the Irish, but DeWolfe has become an important X-factor. Her scoring is a barometer for Notre Dame’s success. When she posts double-digits, Notre Dame is 13-1, and when she makes at least two 3-pointers, the Irish are undefeated (10-0). DeWolfe shot 40 percent from 3-point range over the last 10 games; it will be difficult to beat the Irish if that continues.

Reaction Score
What seems like ages ago, Chantell Jennings and Sabreena Merchant of The Athletic had a story predicting what transfers would impact the regular season. Pepperdine Transfer forward Becky Obinma was listed at the tail end of that article with no mention of a certain transfer combo guard from Fordham to be found.

Going into the NCAA's, that guard -- Anna DeWolfe -- is now the 11th of 12 players listed as transfers who can make a difference to their teams in the NCAA's. I could quibble with USC's Kayla Padilla being 10th or Mathilda Ekh being 6th, but Ekh is cited as critically important if Elizabeth Kitley can't go for Va. Tech (get that).

In any case, way to turn the tables Anna....here's a cut and paste of her write-up with an emphasis on how her (good) shooting differentiates the Irish's performances.

11. Anna DeWolfe
Notre Dame guard
Key Stats: 8.5 ppg, 2.5 apg, 35.7 3-pt %

Strengths: shooting, transition, ball control

Question marks: 1-on-1 defense, rebounding

After tearing it up at Fordham, DeWolfe has seen her usage cut in half on a more talented roster at Notre Dame. The streamlining of her role has improved her efficiency — she’s posting the highest effective field-goal percentage of her career — and allowed her to give a better effort on the defensive end, where she has the best defensive rating of her five seasons. Hannah Hidalgo, Sonia Citron and Maddy Westbeld are the big three for the Irish, but DeWolfe has become an important X-factor. Her scoring is a barometer for Notre Dame’s success. When she posts double-digits, Notre Dame is 13-1, and when she makes at least two 3-pointers, the Irish are undefeated (10-0). DeWolfe shot 40 percent from 3-point range over the last 10 games; it will be difficult to beat the Irish if that continues.
DeWolfe does have a good offensive contribution but I've noticed when her shots aren't falling she will give up on the 3 and try to drive into the bigs. I'd rather she take the 3 more often.

Her defense is always maximum effort but she can be beaten by a guard with more size. But I guess Sonia Citron spoils me and I shouldn't expect Anna to be Sonia.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
DeWolfe does have a good offensive contribution but I've noticed when her shots aren't falling she will give up on the 3 and try to drive into the bigs. I'd rather she take the 3 more often.

Her defense is always maximum effort but she can be beaten by a guard with more size. But I guess Sonia Citron spoils me and I shouldn't expect Anna to be Sonia.
There's no doubt that Anna DeWolfe has trouble with taller guards and the article raises that as a question mark, as do we, to be fair.

Like you say, we're spoiled by Soni (for taller guards) and Hannah (on any point guard). When another guard is too tall, that's when KK Bransford enters.

On the other hand, she's a willing and able zone player.

On Offense, I saw her a few times at Fordham and she has a good fake, drive to the paint, then pull up for the jumper in her arsenal. Not quite Soni or Marina Mabrey, but pretty good. Like you, I'd prefer her staying away from the tall trees.

Reaction Score
Has there been an update on Kylee Watson? Not sure if I missed it in a different thread.

Reaction Score
Has there been an update on Kylee Watson? Not sure if I missed it in a different thread.
I have not seen any update and I doubt there will be one based how other injuries were treated this year and how Miles injury was treated last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom