Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ND Unveils Muffet McGraw Statue Outside of Joyce Center

This is the first statue of any woman on the ND campus (not just a coach) and it's now located outside of the ACC main basketball entrances. That's Muffet's husband Matt in the green sports coat and T-shirt (in case, longtime watchers of the Irish have forgotten). Congrats, Muffet!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ND Beats Purdue, 76-39.

There was a game after the unveiling of the Muffet McGraw statue...first regular season game between ND and Purdue in more than a decade. Maddy Westbeld had a double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds; Nat Marshall had 14 points, 7 rebounds and 6 blocks and Hannah Hidalgo attacked four categories: 23 points, 10 rebounds, 8 assists and 7 steals.

Best play of the game: This one, with Hidalgo to DeWolfe to Marshall. Go Irish, indeed.

Reaction Score
A huge splash in the face after watching ND’s bigs play against Syracuse. There’s no way ND is going deep into the tournament with such poor play by Marshall and Watson. Poor rebounding, poor shooting, poor passing.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a fun game to watch! Great seeing Syracuse hold on for the win. That Fair is a player! Ice water in her veins. Also gotta root for the Orange ever since they dumped Hillsman. Felicia Jack - she was fired by Indiana (deservedly so - driving that program into the ground 6-24 in her last season), but she did a great job at Buffalo.

Not sure what the deal was in Indiana, but she seems to have found the right place for her now - doing really well in her 2nd season. Also, a treat to see ND lose on any occasion. Really looking forward to UCONN's matchup against them later this season...

Reaction Score
I was at the game today at the JMA Dome. Great atmosphere (perhaps the biggest turnout I’ve seen in a while, excepting tourney games). I was expecting Cuse to keep it close for a while but ultimately lose out, since that’s what has happened for most Cuse/ND games I’ve seen at the Dome.

ND missed some easy layups and got beat on rebounds; that to me was the biggest thing. But ND scored 100% of their FTs! :eek:

Also, Fair for Syracuse is just really good. Some of those 3s she made were just straight fire.

Reaction Score
I was at the game today at the JMA Dome. Great atmosphere (perhaps the biggest turnout I’ve seen in a while, excepting tourney games). I was expecting Cuse to keep it close for a while but ultimately lose out, since that’s what has happened for most Cuse/ND games I’ve seen at the Dome.

ND missed some easy layups and got beat on rebounds; that to me was the biggest thing. But ND scored 100% of their FTs! :eek:

Also, Fair for Syracuse is just really good. Some of those 3s she made were just straight fire.
How many Fairs are there who played at Syracuse???

Reaction Score
ND Unveils Muffet McGraw Statue Outside of Joyce Center

This is the first statue of any woman on the ND campus (not just a coach) and it's now located outside of the ACC main basketball entrances. That's Muffet's husband Matt in the green sports coat and T-shirt (in case, longtime watchers of the Irish have forgotten). Congrats, Muffet!

She earned that. Good for her.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Apparently, chatter on The Bench and among various ND media is that this was a long-term condition that simply wasn't getting better/went south. Surgery was deemed the best path going forward.

First, best to Emma and her family and hope the best for her. She played in 7 games this year before having to sit out. Based on that she'll qualify for a medical redshirt (played in less than 30% of the games and injury occurred in first half of season). Hope surgery and rehab goes well.

At this point, the Irish have only former walk-on guard (given scholarship) Sarah Cernugel as a guard to bring off the bench. Niele Ivey has been starting KK Bransford at the small forward, using Nat Marshall off the bench and mixing various permutations to get by.

While she's saying Sonia Citron and Olivia Miles are getting better, no word on projected returns. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Apparently, chatter on The Bench and among various ND media is that this was a long-term condition that simply wasn't getting better/went south. Surgery was deemed the best path going forward.

First, best to Emma and her family and hope the best for her. She played in 7 games this year before having to sit out. Based on that she'll qualify for a medical redshirt (played in less than 30% of the games and injury occurred in first half of season). Hope surgery and rehab goes well.

At this point, the Irish have only former walk-on guard (given scholarship) Sarah Cernugel as a guard to bring off the bench. Niele Ivey has been starting KK Bransford at the small forward, using Nat Marshall off the bench and mixing various permutations to get by.

While she's saying Sonia Citron and Olivia Miles are getting better, no word on projected returns. Stay tuned.

No updates on Prosper however per the posts on Twitter. That doesn't give me a good vibe.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
FWIW, Anthony Anderson, the beat writer for the South Bend Tribune, wrote an article on Risch and the other Irish walking wounded. Most Irish who are injured are brought up, save Cass Prosper, which -- as @cancontent notes -- doesn't give one a good vibe. On the other hand, Citron is listed as questionable for the Pitt game tomorrow, which is a step towards light.;)

(Thanks to SB Jimbo on the Bench for the link)

Reaction Score
It would be a little crazy for Miles to rejoin the team less ~9 months after an ACL tear and halfway through the season, one would think. By the time she got back to full speed the season would be over and seems silly to burn a whole year of eligibility if thats the case.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Syracuse is getting their rear ends handed to them by North Carolina, which helps UConn in the big scheme of things.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Notre Dame barley beats Pitt, a team that is rated by Massey #143, that is worse than every team in the Big East except for Xavier. I don't see ND beating North Carolina this Sunday even if it is in South Bend.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Notre Dame barley beats Pitt, a team that is rated by Massey #143, that is worse than every team in the Big East except for Xavier. I don't see ND beating North Carolina this Sunday even if it is in South Bend.
I am afraid you're underestimating how inconsistent North Carolina can be. Today's dominant win over Syracuse was very much an outlier for them.

Notre Dame is just doing that typical ACC thing where they play down to the cupcakes. They'll have better games than today's.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I am afraid you're underestimating how inconsistent North Carolina can be. Today's dominant win over Syracuse was very much an outlier for them.

Notre Dame is just doing that typical ACC thing where they play down to the cupcakes. They'll have better games than today's.
Just like they did to Syracuse, a team that North Carolina just demolished?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I expect ND to take Chapel Hill apart

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Just like they did to Syracuse, a team that North Carolina just demolished?
Syracuse isn't a cupcake; they're a top 50 team.

Matchups make fights, and so do locations. All 3 of these teams have a high HFA ratings in Massey. As much as I'd love to see UNC spoil the Southbenders' day, I still see ND as the favorite. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Syracuse isn't a cupcake; they're a top 50 team.

Matchups make fights, and so do locations. All 3 of these teams have a high HFA ratings in Massey. As much as I'd love to see UNC spoil the Southbenders' day, I still see ND as the favorite. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Yes but, ND lost to Cuse while UNC demolished the Orange. That's why I think UNC will win it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom