Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Any news on citron
At the post-game press conference, Coach Ivey said Citron had suffered a "knee sprain" and expects her back in "in a few weeks." Now "a few" is somewhat open-ended, but the good news is they expect her back and relatively soon. If she can come back by the ACC portion of the schedule, all the better.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I think you gotta look at it like Hidalgo is replacing Miles and Dewolfe is replacing Mabrey.

Miles was a pretty good defender, ans has the potential to be better. Her defense is closer to Hidalgo's, but Hannah's is obviously better. Dewolfe is replacing Mabrey and seems to be a similar defender. If Miles and Hidalgo played the 1 and 2 their defense would be a lot better.

Prosper showed promise as a 3 defensively last season when she entered early, but she has been struggling so far. She has the physical tools, she just needs to get her fundamentals down. She is going from a 4 in HS to a 3 in college. There's going to be a learning curve.

Bransford is coming back from injury and is a smart and good defender. I think she should be in the starting lineup instead of Prosper while Citron is out. And honestly remain a starter when she comes back and replace Dewolfe.
Everything you and @DallasDomer point out about the defense is accurate.
However, I think there are two main things at play:
1) ND's lineup is in flux, which is obvious, but needs to be (re)stated. Citron was/is not just the glue of the team on offense, but also is on defense. She takes on the toughest player on the opposition if the Irish go man and is a key defender in the 2-3 zone.

With Soni out, Niele had a decision to go with Cass Prosper or Kiki Bransford, who would be playing in only her second game. She went with Prosper, which didn't look like such a good move as the Illini's McKenzie blew by her time and again.

2) I think ND was betwixt and between on how to defend the Illini. They came into the game shooting very well from outside. Plus, Hidalgo is something of a weapon defensively, but that's best done with the Irish man on man or in match-ups So the Illini decided to go at the rest of the Irish and boy, did they ever.

The saving grace? Illinois only had 5 -- that's right -- five assists. Plus they had more than 20 turnovers. While ND gave up drives, they sure did put pressure on Illinois' ballhandlers.

You should come over to The Bench and see how that group of Irish supporters think time allotments should be allocated. Bransford has the ability to man several position -- she had 6 offensive rebounds -- so she'll get a lot of playing time, even when Sonia comes back.
At this point, I'm not even thinking of what happens if and when Miles comes back.
Until then, enjoy the Hidalgo train.

Reaction Score
At the post-game press conference, Coach Ivey said Citron had suffered a "knee sprain" and expect her back in "in a few weeks." Now "a few" is somewhat open-ended, but the good news is they expect her back and relatively soon. If she can come back by the ACC portion of the schedule, all the better.
The text I heard was a couple of weeks. I interpreted that as two but ???

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The text I heard was a couple of weeks. I interpreted that as two but ???
Virtually the entire McGraw's Bench is going on the premise of a "few." As noted in my earlier post, "few" could/should mean 2-4 (at most) in my mind; but I've seen some say 6. The key to me -- beyond good health -- is getting her back in gear for the ACC portion of the schedule. With a little luck, a game before that. Fits the high end of the time frame. We'll see ....

Reaction Score
Virtually the entire McGraw's Bench is going on the premise of a "few." As noted in my earlier post, "few" could/should mean 2-4 (at most) in my mind; but I've seen some say 6. The key to me -- beyond good health -- is getting her back in gear for the ACC portion of the schedule. With a little luck, a game before that. Fits the high end of the time frame. We'll see ....
Though an avid WBB fan I mostly lurk on this forum, but I had left you a previous reply on this one so I would catch any updates.

I was so hoping to hear something good because. I felt bummed thinking about how snake-bitten both these UConn and ND teams have been. Then it was announced Azzi has yet another knee issue and I am dreading bad news again.

While the number of weeks might be in question, I am just so relieved to see it’s not going to be a year! How refreshing just for once, to see a player’s knee injury turned out to be less severe than expected. Happy she will be back on the court this season.

I can only pray Azzi will be as fortunate as this. This is a sign that makes me believe in knee miracles. Crossing my fingers.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Though an avid WBB fan I mostly lurk on this forum, but I had left you a previous reply on this one so I would catch any updates.

I was so hoping to hear something good because. I felt bummed thinking about how snake-bitten both these UConn and ND teams have been. Then it was announced Azzi has yet another knee issue and I am dreading bad news again.

While the number of weeks might be in question, I am just so relieved to see it’s not going to be a year! How refreshing just for once, to see a player’s knee injury turned out to be less severe than expected. Happy she will be back on the court this season.

I can only pray Azzi will be as fortunate as this. This is a sign that makes me believe in knee miracles. Crossing my fingers
Thanks for the note.
Back in the day, my family doctor referred to this kind of injury as a "wrench" as in something wrenched past the normal axis of functionality, but not torn (well, no MRI's then). I had a few of them (knee, elbow) playing sports. I was praying Soni wrenched her knee when I saw it, as opposed to getting it blown up, like an offensive lineman when rolled into by a falling teammate.

Knock on wood, we'll see if this plays out with Soni. As for Azzi, boy...it's been pins and needles for quite a few years for her, right? Hope for some good news in Storrs, too.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
High praise from The Athletic's Sabreena Marchant regarding Hannah Hidlago's defensive performances and effect on Notre Dame, overall.

Notre Dame’s one-woman wrecking crew​

"From a fifth-year senior to an audacious rookie, the state of guard play in college basketball is at an all-time high. It’s hard to believe that Hidalgo is in her first year at Notre Dame, because she has commanded that team on both ends of the floor like a seasoned veteran. The injuries to Olivia Miles and now Sonia Citron (though coach Niele Ivey was relieved to reveal that Citron should be back in a few weeks) have given Hidalgo more responsibility for the Irish, but it seems like — with her confidence — she would have seized a larger role regardless.

"Hidalgo has been a one-woman wrecking crew for Notre Dame, and it’s fitting that the player who sealed a gold medal for Team USA at the FIBA U-19 World Cup this summer with a steal has brought that level of defensive prowess to South Bend. She is averaging nearly seven takeaways per game — for context, 117 teams in Division I are recording fewer — and had a 12-steal night that tied a program record with fellow New Jersey fireball Marina Mabrey.

"It’s baffling to see opposing teams try to bring the ball up against her full-court pressure or go right at Hidalgo on defense without attempting to screen her off the ball. She has an unending motor as a point of attack defender and tremendous instincts in help defense. Notre Dame is 22.1 points per 100 possessions better on defense alone when Hidalgo is on the court, which seems like a misprint until you realize opponents turn over the ball 11 percent more often in those minutes. Two weeks into her college career, Hidalgo might be the most exciting defensive playmaker in the country."

Dillon druthers:

- Commentators and posters here on the Boneyard and The Bench have also scratched their head on why teams have not set high screens all the time or have a forward come back to receive a pass then give it to another guard. At the very least, you save time on the shot clock. At the best, avoid a turnover.

- With Olivia Miles still sidelined and now Sonia Citron out for awhile, one shudders to think where the Irish would be without the Queen, as CocoHusky used to refer to Hidalgo. Luckily, Maddy Westbeld stepped up big time against Illini and will continue to do so. But the Queen is ruling so far.

- "...fellow New Jersey fireball Marina Mabrey." ;)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ND Will Unveil a Statue of Muffet McGraw Outside the Joyce Center Prior to Purdue Game in December

Appropriate that it will happen before the recurrence of the Purdue game. MM-led teams played the Boilermakers often; including ND (and McGraw's) first National Championship, which included Ruth Riley and the current Irish coach, Niele Ivey.

There are a number of statues of coaches outside of the football stadium (Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, Holz) and one of an athletic director (Moose Krause) by the ACC (Joyce Center), but this is the first of a basketball coach...and woman.

Congrats to Muffet McGraw, family, friends, former players and ND.

P.S. Wonder if the statue will catch her in the (impossible to me) pose of kneeling down in heels, which she did for most of every game. :eek:;)

Reaction Score
High praise from The Athletic's Sabreena Marchant regarding Hannah Hidlago's defensive performances and effect on Notre Dame, overall.

Notre Dame’s one-woman wrecking crew​

"From a fifth-year senior to an audacious rookie, the state of guard play in college basketball is at an all-time high. It’s hard to believe that Hidalgo is in her first year at Notre Dame, because she has commanded that team on both ends of the floor like a seasoned veteran. The injuries to Olivia Miles and now Sonia Citron (though coach Niele Ivey was relieved to reveal that Citron should be back in a few weeks) have given Hidalgo more responsibility for the Irish, but it seems like — with her confidence — she would have seized a larger role regardless.

"Hidalgo has been a one-woman wrecking crew for Notre Dame, and it’s fitting that the player who sealed a gold medal for Team USA at the FIBA U-19 World Cup this summer with a steal has brought that level of defensive prowess to South Bend. She is averaging nearly seven takeaways per game — for context, 117 teams in Division I are recording fewer — and had a 12-steal night that tied a program record with fellow New Jersey fireball Marina Mabrey.

"It’s baffling to see opposing teams try to bring the ball up against her full-court pressure or go right at Hidalgo on defense without attempting to screen her off the ball. She has an unending motor as a point of attack defender and tremendous instincts in help defense. Notre Dame is 22.1 points per 100 possessions better on defense alone when Hidalgo is on the court, which seems like a misprint until you realize opponents turn over the ball 11 percent more often in those minutes. Two weeks into her college career, Hidalgo might be the most exciting defensive playmaker in the country."

Dillon druthers:

- Commentators and posters here on the Boneyard and The Bench have also scratched their head on why teams have not set high screens all the time or have a forward come back to receive a pass then give it to another guard. At the very least, you save time on the shot clock. At the best, avoid a turnover.

- With Olivia Miles still sidelined and now Sonia Citron out for awhile, one shudders to think where the Irish would be without the Queen, as CocoHusky used to refer to Hidalgo. Luckily, Maddy Westbeld stepped up big time against Illini and will continue to do so. But the Queen is ruling so far.

- "...fellow New Jersey fireball Marina Mabrey." ;)
Hannah is a THAT young lady!! Holy smokes! She got game for days.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Notre Dame Goes on the Road and Gets A Post-Thanksgiving Win

According to the attached ND press release, "In a Black Friday road contest, No. 17 Notre Dame (5-1) beat a previously undefeated Ball State (5-1) squad, 90-59. The Irish have posted at least 90 points in four of the last five games."

Hidalgo's final stat line was: 25 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists and 8 steals, a great deal of which came in the first half. ,Anna DeWolfe had her best game in an Irish uniform with 17 points, 5 assists and 6 rebounds. She was 3-5 from deep. Additionally, Nat Marshall had 12 points, marking the first time in her career that she’s been in double-figures in back-to-back games.

ND outscored Ball State 42-16 in the paint, many of which came on 13 second-chance points, led by Nat Marshalls three offensive rebounds. While ND had 15 steals, Ball State had 13 of their own.

Next up for the Irish is a trip to Tennessee on Nov. 29th.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame Goes on the Road and Gets A Post-Thanksgiving Win

According to the attached ND press release, "In a Black Friday road contest, No. 17 Notre Dame (5-1) beat a previously undefeated Ball State (5-1) squad, 90-59. The Irish have posted at least 90 points in four of the last five games."

Hidalgo's final stat line was: 25 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists and 8 steals, a great deal of which came in the first half. ,Anna DeWolfe had her best game in an Irish uniform with 17 points, 5 assists and 6 rebounds. She was 3-5 from deep. Additionally, Nat Marshall had 12 points, marking the first time in her career that she’s been in double-figures in back-to-back games.

ND outscored Ball State 42-16 in the paint, many of which came on 13 second-chance points, led by Nat Marshalls three offensive rebounds. While ND had 15 steals, Ball State had 13 of their own.

Next up for the Irish is a trip to Tennessee on Nov. 29th.

Go Irish beat the Vols!

Reaction Score
Dillon, the whole situation with Olivia Miles smacks of having taken Notre Dames medical staff out of the equation. Coach Ivy speaks confidentiality, if not always accurately, about other players timetable with injuries. But the phrase "Liv and her doctors" is a refrain.
Go back to the game vs Louisville where she comes out in the 2nd half with an ice pack. No brace. No crutches. The announcers even mention the possibility of her returning to the game. Later they put a wrap on her leg. She's jumping up and down on it on the sidelines and in the locker room. That Monday Sean Stires says they didn't believe it was anything serious. By the ACC tournament she can barely walk and she has surgery weeks later. It reads like the initial diagnosis may have been wrong and she's taken things out the hands of the ND medical staff.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Hmm. I'm not quite sure what the takeaway point is here, but I'll try to give my view:

- Not sure one can judge all injuries in the immediate aftermath of it/them happening. I've had injuries on the soccer team I coached over five years in which one girl thought she just twisted a knee in practice and turned out she had an ACL tear, while another girl who was whacked hard by an opponent in a game turned out to have a sprain (like Citron). So 'Liv's jumping around and Stires (and others) report(s) were probably premature, at best.

- So, "'Liv and her doctors" is a key component here. Are the doctors from ND? Recommended by ND? Other ones? Who knows? Ultimately, the choice on all these matters gets back to 'Liv and her family, from choosing the doctors to disclosing her prognosis. However, I don't think any of those choices came from what happened immediately thereafter.

- Sure, it's been frustrating to get a clear picture here, but that's her perogative.
By contrast, Mitchell Evans, ND's tight end, tore an ACL in the Pitt game and it was reported cleanly almost as soon as the MRI results came in. And Sonia Citron's knee sprain was brought up by Coach Ivey. Now, the actual time of return is really anyone's guess: "two weeks" has become "a few weeks" and now, "a few more weeks." I think that's the nature of injuries.

Just glad to see her on the court working out. We'll see how all that progresses....

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Cass Prosper in Walking Boot; Won't Play in Tennessee Game

Prosper had entered the starting lineup when Sonia Citron was injured. With those two now out, expect KK Bransford -- who just got back from injury herself -- to start.

Reaction Score
ND came back from 16 down to beat Tennessee by 5. I'm hoping the 18 point come back in 2018 will mean the same year end result!

Reaction Score
A few observations, with the caveat that the Irish will be a much more wide open team if OM can come back 100%.

Maddy Westbeld transformed her body in the off season and is quicker for having done it. This makes her a better and more dangerous player.

Nat Marshall looks stronger and more explosive this year. She needs to be more consistent with her mid range jumper, and use her height and quickness to slash in the bucket.

Watson looks the same. Solid, but not an elite center.

Hidalgo is already a star. Pare her with Miles and we’re dangerous.

Prosper still struggling to score. It’s going to be awhile till she’s a complete player.

DeWolfe was needed, but we need OM if we’re truly going to contend.

Citron is steady. Let’s hope she’s fully recovered soon.

Bransford is like a wbb version of Adrian Dantley. She’s underside down low, but strong enough to consistently finish.

Ivey is putting us back on top. She’s done a tremendous job recruiting stars.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
A few observations, with the caveat that the Irish will be a much more wide open team if OM can come back 100%.

Maddy Westbeld transformed her body in the off season and is quicker for having done it. This makes her a better and more dangerous player.

Nat Marshall looks stronger and more explosive this year. She needs to be more consistent with her mid range jumper, and use her height and quickness to slash in the bucket.

Watson looks the same. Solid, but not an elite center.

Hidalgo is already a star. Pare her with Miles and we’re dangerous.

Prosper still struggling to score. It’s going to be awhile till she’s a complete player.

DeWolfe was needed, but we need OM if we’re truly going to contend.

Citron is steady. Let’s hope she’s fully recovered soon.

Bransford is like a wbb version of Adrian Dantley. She’s underside down low, but strong enough to consistently finish.

Ivey is putting us back on top. She’s done a tremendous job recruiting stars.
- I saw the Irish live vs. NJIT. Hidalgo is remarkably quick with her first few steps and, obviously, has great hand-eye coordination.

- Excuse me for chuckling with Citron and "steady." She's steady in the same way John Havlicek was for the Celtics: consistently good at virtually everything. "Steady" or reliable in the sense that she never has a bad game. As good as the others have stepped up their games, the Irish need Citron back....

...because, until I see 'Liv back on the court, I'm not getting expectations up for her return.

- As such, DeWolfe is not really Mile's replacement: she's a combo guard who is the wingman to Hidalgo (who is 'Liv's replacement). Ivey likes what DeWolfe brings -- check out her minutes played.

- I'm trying not to get too high or too low, but like what Niele is consistently building. And just wait to next year (see my next post ;))

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Note Dame signee Kateryna "Kate" Koval and her Lutheran High School team kicked off their season and played traditional DC-area powerhouse Paul VI. Here's footage of Koval, which resulted in a double-double.

With MacKenley Randolph holding off on signing in November, ND only has one signee for 2024. But the one it got -- Kate Koval -- was A+, both from an individual talent perspective and collective need of the team going forward.

The concept of Kate being in the paint with guards Olivia Miles, Hannah Hidalgo and Sonia Citron brings a (big) smile to Irish fans' faces. :D

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Injuries Continue To Mount Up, Even as Irish Defeat Lafayette

Notre Dame was down to 8 available players during last night's 96-42 thrashing of Lafayette last night, which
included a 58-pt. second half. The Irish pulled away from the Leopards with a 28-8 third quarter.

Freshman Emma Risch (hip soreness) joined Olivia Miles (knee), Sonia Citron (knee), Jenna Brown (knee) and Cass Prosper (lower leg soreness) on the bench, watching an unusually tall Irish lineup on the floor (note, it's not the bigs injured). At one point, 6'5" Nat Marshall was, in effect, playing the wing position, alongside centers Kylee Watson and Becky Obinma; herself just back from illness.

Hidalgo, who admitted not going full throttle on defense because the Irish couldn't afford her getting into foul trouble, had 26 points, three over her average, plus six rebounds and four assists. Senior forward Nat Marshall continued her strong play, with a dozen points, eight rebounds plus a career-high six assists.

This article (thanks to the Bench's RISteve) has Coach Ivey input on the game and managing injuries. Luckily, for all concerned, ND now heads into studying for finals and finals: they won't play until Sunday, Dec. 17, when they play Purdue and unveil a statue of Muffet McGraw. The walking wounded -- and those playing major minutes because of it -- can use the break to (continue) healing.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
U.S.A. Basketball Names Hannah Hidalgo Female Athlete of the Year.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
And here are some clips, U.S.A. Basketball put together on her. Congrats, Hannah!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom