Not good. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Not good.

Reaction Score
I don't care how many times you guys say this, it will never be true and it will never stop being an assinine assertion.

It may be unlikely that we get another great coach but it has happened here before and it happened at Gonzaga and Wichita State and Butler and many other non P5 teams in the past. Guys like Calhoun may be incredibly rare but guys better than Ollie are not quite as rare.

People who tirelessly recycle excuses are forgetting that next year will be his sixth year at UConn. Yes, there have been great coaches who have taken a few years to "hit their stride" and, yes, even great coaches can have a bad year now and then. But next year will be year 6. Not two, not three, not four. While he deserves credit for that miraculous run in 2014, he also deserves criticism for not being able to dominate a crappy conference even once. Calhouns don't grow on trees but neither do miraculous seasons. The best way to go deep in March is to have a team that looks like they will go deep in March, just about every year. It isn't happening.

No, no, there aren't any other good coaches out there anywhere and there is no way that any school could ever hope to find them if there were. Good lord, KO is not in line to be fired, not yet anyway, but the idea that he is somehow irreplaceable is pretty silly.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
We're not even competitive against the top three schools in this conference. Those games are basically over before the tip - that's a bad, bad sign.

There wasn't one minute where we threatened SMU or Cincy and outside of the first half against Houston, they clobbered us as well.

This year needs to be put in a lead-lined vault and buried under a volcano. If next year is in any way similar, there are some coaches who will need to be put in that vault as well.
Thank you for your interest in UCONN basketball.

Reaction Score
No - if he goes .500 next year, I think he eeks out another year. If he falls short of that, I think he's gone.
Right, because the school has 3 million reasons to give him that second year.

Reaction Score
How do you know they were at the games? They were posting and liking all day.

Aye yaye yaye. You were calling out people for not posting two hours after the game. For heaven's sake. Yes, those people go to games. Mau has been nice enough to drop off tickets in the past for me. I know he goes to games. He may not have been at today's game, but I was pointing out how crazy it was for a newb like you to call out Mau for not posting two hours after a loss.

Reaction Score
That's all you can say? Is that they're in the B1G and we're in the AAC. So do you consider us a "blue blood" program or not. Yes or no?

You're like one post away from my ignore. Indiana is in the B1G, which means they can recruit players without much headwind. Ollie could go to Indiana tomorrow, recruit top 5 classes year after year, and win national championships. UConn is a different story. UConn is not Indiana. Everyone understands that.

I see what the problem is now. Many of you are delusional when you imagine UConn's place in the pecking order.

Reaction Score
You're like one post away from my ignore. Indiana is in the B1G, which means they can recruit players without much headwind. Ollie could go to Indiana tomorrow, recruit top 5 classes year after year, and win national championships. UConn is a different story. UConn is not Indiana. Everyone understands that.

I see what the problem is now. Many of you are delusional when you imagine UConn's place in the pecking order.

Ok then. So you do deny our history in the modern era then? If you're one of the guys that accepts failure and mediocrity than I don't want to converse with you either. Ban away.

Reaction Score

You're also so stupid that you missed the point of the post completely. We're a blue blood program that pays a coach a top salary. Why should we accept awful results. They didn't at another fellow blue blood program. Why should we?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
See, I totally get what you are saying, but I feel as though you are bringing emotion into it way too much.

Why should those in charge of the program allow valuable brand power whither away over time purely for the sake of nostalgia? This is a super successful franchise in a huge, highly competitive field. Since 1990, the "15 years" I think you were coyly referring to, our brand has skyrocketed in value, think of us as a stock. Each of us with a UConn degree has quite literally increased the value of their degrees with the success of UConn. I'm sure your UConn diploma from 1965 wouldn't be nearly as valuable without the blood, sweat and tears from the Calhoun era which I believe played a big role in UConn's rapid expansion as a university both in size and academic rank and reputation. The "CEO" in charge needs to protect the value of the product. I'm sure shareholders wouldn't be happy if Microsoft's CEO justified year after year poor performance on the fact that he is old enough to remember when Microsoft products were developed in Bill Gates' mother's garage. That is flawed logic and unnecessarily sentimental. At some point the program needs to evaluate the direction it's heading and I think that time is approaching in the next coming years.
I'm hoping they're assessing it now. Just not the same way some people are viewing the impacts of the APR and injuries.

Reaction Score
The missed shot argument is ridiculous. It's like saying North Carolina was one missed three away from winning a national championship last year . Doesn't matter because it didn't miss.

Is it more ridiculous to keep him on given what we've seen the last few seasons just because he won a title ? I dont think any of us are thinking we are supposed to win a title every season but man, at least be competitive and beat the programs we should be beating. We are going backwards not forwards

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My thoughts from the start. Once injured it never heals 100%. One of Geno's assistant, girl with long blonde hair. I recall she injured her leg. Out the whole season, came back and reinjured it . In fact maybe I am wrong, but she injured it a 3rd time and that was it. Isn't this Gilbert's second time?
It was william Shea Ralph, now a UConn wb assistant coach.

H

huskymagic

Ollie's apologists need to get a grip. I said it early that 2017-2018 season was judgement day for Ollie and our university moving forward. If Ollie misses the NCAA tournament next year, and we cant lure a Gregg Marshall who is the only candidate I would be looking for then a Tim Jankovich type I'm sure would do just fine at UCONN with the pedigree that UCONN provides. Watching what we have witnessed for the last 3 years only a fool would not be concerned about our program and its future. We are at risk of becoming Georgetown, St. Johns, UNLV, etc.

The problem with Ollie is that he is too much of a brother and preacher to players than a disciplinarian and Sargeant with players that you need to be successful. He thinks the "cool guy" personality who can relate to his players approach works, but it never works. I doubt he can change because that's who he is personality wise.

PS: We will return to the BEAST if we are ever in the situation to choose between basketball and football. By doing that we will be able to find some of the best coaching minds in the country make no mistake about that.

PS: What's the buyout on Ollie's new contract?

Reaction Score
Ollie was a missed "And One" play from Brimah in 2014 from having no security blanket. If there isnt any change next year, I think you'd be dumb not to start thinking of making a move. I'm not willing to jeopardize Uconn for years and years because we keep thinking things will change
Ollie has done a lousy job the past three seasons but it doesn't take away from what he did his first two seasons.

His first year they had nothing to play for and he kept their heads in the game the entire season and we would have been a tournament team who had a chance at a win or two had the NCAA not screwed us. His second year was a bit up and down. I would have liked a better regular season but what he did in the tournament was masterful. The "if a player didn't make a play we would have lost" argument is stupid. If Bazz's injury was worse against Nova we could have lost, if DeAndre didn't go off against ISU we could have lost, etc. The fact is we won the whole thing and Ollie took down Martelli, Wright, Hoiberg, Izzo, Donovan, and Calipari. That's a who's who of coaching.

The championship season Ollie had his two elite ballhandlers, the best backcourt in the tournament and a veteran team but it was not an overly talented team. Bazz is the only NBA level player and he's kind of hanging on by a thread. I worry how Ollie has looked the past three years and how he doesn't seem to adapt when he doesn't have the tailor-made lineup he wants but there should never be any pooh-poohing on what he did his first 2 years.

Reaction Score
Ollie's apologists need to get a grip. I said it early that 2017-2018 season was judgement day for Ollie and our university moving forward. If Ollie misses the NCAA tournament next year, and we cant lure a Gregg Marshall who is the only candidate I would be looking for then a Tim Jankovich type I'm sure would do just fine at UCONN with the pedigree that UCONN provides. Watching what we have witnessed for the last 3 years only a fool would not be concerned about our program and its future. We are at risk of becoming Georgetown, St. Johns, UNLV, etc.

The problem with Ollie is that he is too much of a brother and preacher to players than a disciplinarian and Sargeant with players that you need to be successful. He thinks the "cool guy" personality who can relate to his players approach works, but it never works. I doubt he can change because that's who he is personality wise.

PS: We will return to the BEAST if we are ever in the situation to choose between basketball and football. By doing that we will be able to find some of the best coaching minds in the country make no mistake about that.

PS: What's the buyout on Ollie's new contract?

I'm not ready to kick him to the curb just yet. He's got 1 more year in my mind. If he can't get it done next year I hope we find someone that can.

Reaction Score
Ollie has done a lousy job the past three seasons but it doesn't take away from what he did his first two seasons.

His first year they had nothing to play for and he kept their heads in the game the entire season and we would have been a tournament team who had a chance at a win or two had the NCAA not screwed us. His second year was a bit up and down. I would have liked a better regular season but what he did in the tournament was masterful. The "if a player didn't make a play we would have lost" argument is stupid. If Bazz's injury was worse against Nova we could have lost, if DeAndre didn't go off against ISU we could have lost, etc. The fact is we won the whole thing and Ollie took down Martelli, Wright, Hoiberg, Izzo, Donovan, and Calipari. That's a who's who of coaching.

The championship season Ollie had his two elite ballhandlers, the best backcourt in the tournament and a veteran team but it was not an overly talented team. Bazz is the only NBA level player and he's kind of hanging on by a thread. I worry how Ollie has looked the past three years and how he doesn't seem to adapt when he doesn't have the tailor-made lineup he wants but there should never be any pooh-poohing on what he did his first 2 years.

why is it a stupid argument? If we lost that first game, do you think people on the board would give Ollie any rope at all this point? He did a marvelous job with the team in the post season and taking over for Calhoun.

What accounts for such a drop off then? Is it the divorce? Ollie doesnt seem like he has that same fire as when he first started.

Reaction Score
I'm not giving up on Ollie by a long shot, but I don't know how some of the apologists can just ignore the concerns.

They've underachieved for three straight years with rosters that were talented enough to be preseason top 20. Sure, there have been valid reasons for those struggles when you look at each season individually.

But it's the bad patterns that worry me, and I don't know how so many people on here can pretend like they don't exist.

Reaction Score
why is it a stupid argument? If we lost that first game, do you think people on the board would give Ollie any rope at all this point? He did a marvelous job with the team in the post season and taking over for Calhoun.

What accounts for such a drop off then? Is it the divorce? Ollie doesnt seem like he has that same fire as when he first started.
Because we didn't lose the game. Some seem to harken back to that game like it was some sort of miracle. Jalen Adams last year making a 70 footer was a miracle, Brimah just made a basketball play with under a minute left. That was also a damn good St. Joe's team that was red hot at the end of the year.

Reaction Score
I'm not giving up on Ollie by a long shot, but I don't know how some of the apologists can just ignore the concerns.

They've underachieved for three straight years with rosters that were talented enough to be preseason top 20. Sure, there have been valid reasons for those struggles when you look at each season individually.

But it's the bad patterns that worry me, and I don't know how so many people on here can pretend like they don't exist.
Because some fans here have some sort of twisted logic that Kevin Ollie is the end all be all for UConn basketball. Without KO, UConn bball would cease to exist. I know it sounds nuts but I'm not making it up. There are people here who think that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom