Not good. | The Boneyard

Not good.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We're not even competitive against the top three schools in this conference. Those games are basically over before the tip - that's a bad, bad sign.

There wasn't one minute where we threatened SMU or Cincy and outside of the first half against Houston, they clobbered us as well.

This year needs to be put in a lead-lined vault and buried under a volcano. If next year is in any way similar, there are some coaches who will need to be put in that vault as well.

Reaction Score
We're not even competitive against the top three schools in this conference. Those games are basically over before the tip - that's a bad, bad sign.

There wasn't one minute where we threatened SMU or Cincy and outside of the first half against Houston, they clobbered us as well.

This year needs to be put in a lead-lined vault and buried under a volcano. If next year is in any way similar, there are some coaches who will need to be put in that vault as well.
Yes and KO has to be one of those.

Reaction Score

If next year is in any way similar, Ollie is gone.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Fair assesment. If next season we don't compete for the regular season AAC Championship as a mainstay in the top 25 it may be time to look in a different direction.

Paying $3M for a basketball coach should have us in a position to bring in very qualified candidates.

H

huskymagic

Cinci didn't even break a sweat against us. They just threw mini-Draymond Gary Clarke out there and it was over in the first 5 minutes. Pretty much what we expected and knew was coming. That's the most troubling sign that we already knew that the game was going to be like this there was nothing that surprised us.

PS: Fish this is on the head coach. No player looks to the assistant coach for direction.
#Gregg MarshallWECOMING

Reaction Score
If next year is in any way similar, Ollie is gone.
Yes, we can't finish in the top 3 next year and make the tourney I see no other choice. I mean that would be only one top 3 finish in 5 years in the AAC. I mean this is the AAC not the ACC which we can't even compete in. Maybe we need to play in the NEAC now. No matter the talent we have the AAC is big step down and we should be playing this bad.

Reaction Score
Cinci didn't even break a sweat against us. They just threw mini-Draymond Gary Clarke out there and it was over in the first 5 minutes. Pretty much what we expected and knew was coming. That's the most troubling sign that we already knew that the game was going to be like this there was nothing that surprised us.

PS: Fish this is on the head coach. No player looks to the assistant coach for direction.
#Gregg MarshallWECOMING

Gregg Marshall isn't leaving WSU to coach at UConn.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Even if everyone had remained healthy and available to play for the entire season, I really don't think this team beats SMU, Cincy and Houston. We would have won a few more games vs. the dregs of the conference and non-conference games, but we would have still been a marginal bubble team.

Reaction Score
Even if everyone had remained healthy and available to play for the entire season, I really don't think this team beats SMU, Cincy and Houston. We would have won a few more games vs. the dregs of the conference and non-conference games, but we would have still been a marginal bubble team.

really no way to predict, but with Larrier. AG and Diarra we would have depth at every position

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
lol how is ollie gone after next season? every year he has had a winning record/20 win season, he won a NC and conference tourney in 5 years, and is doing a great job recruiting. this year was done once alterique and larrier were gone. then enoch and durham kept missing games, then adams missed games and vital and jackson. Getting rid of Ollie will not end well for the program. Who's going to come to the program? Multiple recent final fours and top recruiting classes need to be the bare minimum then, where are you going to find that type of coach? you're not.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Lotta KO bashing in here. Where is gtcam?

All joking aside. Next year UConn needs an at-large bid with a 5 seed or better next year, no more going into March with uncertainty and must-win conference tourney scenarios. Having these seasons where we are standing on the edge of a cliff as early as November with several "wtf" losses throughout are simply no longer acceptable for a program of this stature.

Watching schools like Baylor basically bringing slightly above average squads to 3 seeds or better seemingly every year with a Big 12 inflated RPI really highlights how much smaller our margin of error is year to year in our current conference, which has obviously been discussed ad nauseum.

We are letting valuable brand equity that took nearly 3 decades of magic to achieve, just melt through our fingers.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think we could've beaten cinci and houston especially with gilbert

Reaction Score
I was going to start an If We're Honest thread because I was thinking the exact same thing today. If we had Larrier and Gilbert and Vance this game would have been a 10 point loss. We have a long time to think about what we need to add for next year to get competitive again.

Reaction Score
lol how is ollie gone after next season? every year he has had a winning record/20 win season, he won a NC and conference tourney in 5 years, and is doing a great job recruiting. this year was done once alterique and larrier were gone. then enoch and durham kept missing games, then adams missed games and vital and jackson. Getting rid of Ollie will not end well for the program. Who's going to come to the program? Multiple recent final fours and top recruiting classes need to be the bare minimum then, where are you going to find that type of coach? you're not.
Love KO as player and a person. Not sold on him as a coach. Many coaches do well the first few years after their sucessor leaves(Mike Davis and Tubby Smith). The question is long term is he the right coach to bring us to the next level? I'm not sold on it and he definitely needs a change in his assistants and get someone who can teach x's and o's. We surely don't have it on the staff even with GM.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Love KO as player and a person. Not sold on him as a coach. Many coaches do well the first few years after their sucessor leaves(Mike Davis and Tubby Smith). The question is long term is he the right coach to bring us to the next level? I'm not sold on it and he definitely needs a change in his assistants and get someone who can teach x's and o's. We surely don't have it on the staff even with GM.
yeah I responded about the assistants in the other post... agreed on that but ollie should still stay

Reaction Score
Why Vance, if we have Larrier Vance would play 5-8 mins/game and if we have Gilbert I'm not sure Vital would play.

I was going to start an If We're Honest thread because I was thinking the exact same thing today. If we had Larrier and Gilbert and Vance this game would have been a 10 point loss. We have a long time to think about what we need to add for next year to get competitive again.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Lotta KO bashing in here. Where is gtcam?

I'm here but am turning all of them off
It's not worth my energy anymore
They have their opinion and I have mine and to hell with them
This year has sure exposed the band wagon folks and those who, in my opinion, just don't get it
Being a season ticket holder since 1965 I've seen a lot and maybe from a different perspective from all these kids who only have witnessed the last 15 years or less

Reaction Score
How can anyone depend on Gilbert? He has been continually hurt for over two years. He can't fall without hurting his shoulder.

I wish him the best. He seems to be a good kid. But with his history the last two years, we all better keep our fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
Gregg Marshall gets paid $3.3 million per year. We could have had him a few years ago for sure, now he would probably only go to a couple of programs.

Reaction Score
I'm here but am turning all of them off
It's not worth my energy anymore
They have their opinion and I have mine and to hell with them
This year has sure exposed the band wagon folks and those who, in my opinion, just don't get it
Being a season ticket holder since 1965 I've seen a lot and maybe from a different perspective from all these kids who only have witnessed the last 15 years or less
I have been a fan since 1978 and the last few years have just been sad as far as UCONN basketball. I mean all fans should be a little bit concerned with the product we are putting out on the floor. 1 top 3 in 4 years in the AAC is just bad. I don't care about the excuses.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Let's stipulate that at this time, given this year's circumstances, I don't think anyone in their right mind would want Ollie out. I think, given a national championship and a strong history of March productivity, regardless of whose players you think they were, he's earned a chance to crawl out of this hole. That year demonstrated that he can motivate and take a capable group of players where he wants them to go.

OTOH, if you were going to replace him after a bad year with a healthy and (allegedly) talented team, you're right that you wouldn't get a coach with "recent final fours and top recruiting classes." Those guys already have stable jobs mostly in P5.

That's not what I'd want, or expect. I'd want a guy who has an eye for talent regardless of national rankings and who can close on those guys he wants (coffee is for closers!); I'd want a guy who can X & O with the best of them, identifying the advantages his team has and utilizing them while neutralizing their disadvantages, putting pressure on the opponent on both ends of the floor; I'd want a guy who can motivate the team to be cohesive and to perform above their expectations consistently, playing aggressively and with effort, particularly as the season progresses. And this may be a no-name guy at a smaller conference school.

Kinda like Calhoun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom