Not good. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Not good.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Late to the party on this but we are a young team that decimated by injury. The biggest take away from this season is that KO managed to keep the kids playing hard all year.

Yeah, if we have the same success with a team that isn't down to a skeleton crew, sure you have look hard at what happened by this season was just 'a series of unfortunate events" and I doubt even Wooden would have taken these guys to the NCAA's.

Reaction Score
Somehow we're in an even bigger nightmare of a situation than I thought possible when we got booted to the AAC. I figured at worst we'd consistently be a Top 3 program in the conference, similar to what Memphis was under Calipari in CUSA. A lot of 16-2, 15-3 conference records. I don't think anyone expected us to be a middle of the road program in this god awful conference...

We're 42-30 in conference play in four years in the AAC. We've never finished in the Top 3 of the regular season standings. We needed a miracle 65-footer to help win our only conference title. We've missed the tourney 3 of the last 5 seasons. We're losing to teams named East Carolina and Wagner. We didn't sell out a single home game this year. The scarier part is that the numbers don't do our situation justice, the eye test paints an even bleaker picture. We aren't a smart team, we don't execute well, we don't make good decisions. We're routinely killed on the glass. We rarely have knockdown shooters. Probably the biggest concern with the program is player development - we have to get better at getting better. SMU and Cincinnati are composed mostly of 3-star recruits with a 4-star here and there and they're ahead of us as a program right now.

Since Oriakhi committed in the summer of 2006 we've signed one above average big man (Drummond, who was an in-our-backyard layup and wasn't in Storrs long enough to have a big impact). Think about that, over the course of the last 11 years we've inked one difference-making big man and he was on campus for eight months. Polley and Carlton aren't going to change that trend. If we aren't going to be able to sign better bigs than we have to get better at developing them.

Other programs that had to go through the painful transition of replacing a legend at least had a stable situation in a power conference. Indiana, UNC, Georgetown, etc. They struggled with their immediate successor but eventually rebounded since it remained a desirable job. We don't have that luxury. I think Ollie might have a longer leash than some think because I'm not sure who the hell is going to want to come run this program if we show Ollie the door. We're in danger of becoming the next Houston of the 80s or UNLV of the 90s.

Reaction Score
What should the bar for success be next year? What kind of season would be constitute a failure for KO? Going 500 next year would be a catastrophic failure that would dwarf this turd of a season.

I am not predicting any level of success for next season but the team is loaded on paper in the 1-3 spots. We have enough big wings that the 1-4 spots are technically "loaded," provided we play an adequate amount of small ball. It shouldn't be that hard to find a single big who can do a decent job rebounding and defending. IMO, a very good coach should have a roster like this in the top 20 all season, easily. If the team isn't top 30ish for the majority of the season, the season will be a failure in my eyes.

Reaction Score
Somehow we're in an even bigger nightmare of a situation than I thought possible when we got booted to the AAC. I figured at worst we'd consistently be a Top 3 program in the conference, similar to what Memphis was under Calipari in CUSA. A lot of 16-2, 15-3 conference records. I don't think anyone expected us to be a middle of the road program in this god awful conference...

We're 42-30 in conference play in four years in the AAC. We've never finished in the Top 3 of the regular season standings. We needed a miracle 65-footer to help win our only conference title. We've missed the tourney 3 of the last 5 seasons. We're losing to teams named East Carolina and Wagner. We didn't sell out a single home game this year. The scarier part is that the numbers don't do our situation justice, the eye test paints an even bleaker picture. We aren't a smart team, we don't execute well, we don't make good decisions. We're routinely killed on the glass. We rarely have knockdown shooters. Probably the biggest concern with the program is player development - we have to get better at getting better. SMU and Cincinnati are composed mostly of 3-star recruits with a 4-star here and there and they're ahead of us as a program right now.

Since Oriakhi committed in the summer of 2006 we've signed one above average big man (Drummond, who was an in-our-backyard layup and wasn't in Storrs long enough to have a big impact). Think about that, over the course of the last 11 years we've inked one difference-making big man and he was on campus for eight months. Polley and Carlton aren't going to change that trend. If we aren't going to be able to sign better bigs than we have to get better at developing them.

Other programs that had to go through the painful transition of replacing a legend at least had a stable situation in a power conference. Indiana, UNC, Georgetown, etc. They struggled with their immediate successor but eventually rebounded since it remained a desirable job. We don't have that luxury. I think Ollie might have a longer leash than some think because I'm not sure who the hell is going to want to come run this program if we show Ollie the door. We're in danger of becoming the next Houston of the 80s or UNLV of the 90s.

I share every one of your concerns. The only difference is that I am not ready to write off Polley and Carlton. I kinda like that they are both highly productive, highly skilled bigs who are not great athletes or measurement type guys. Looking across the country, there really aren't that many highly talented 5 men. Competent bigs who can do a few things very well are all you need at this point in time. Sure, I'd love to land a one and done big that can beast immediately, but I doubt we attract someone like that and its not the only path towards success.

This is for sure a scary time for the program. It does have some Houston, UNLV feel to it, even though our history is much stronger. F conference realignment.

Reaction Score
We're not even competitive against the top three schools in this conference. Those games are basically over before the tip - that's a bad, bad sign.

There wasn't one minute where we threatened SMU or Cincy and outside of the first half against Houston, they clobbered us as well.

This year needs to be put in a lead-lined vault and buried under a volcano. If next year is in any way similar, there are some coaches who will need to be put in that vault as well.

We've gone from being the dominators to being
dominated.

Reaction Score
Recruits read this board. If I read this thread, I'd never commit to UConn. What is UConn anyway? Why would you ever go to Storrs? I'd rather go to a mid-sized city like Providence and play in the BE. Why would I ever go to Storrs?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
KO has had two talented players leave before they were NBA ready and that dearly impacted us - Daniels and Hamilton.
Think about how different KO's last three years would have been if they hadn't left when they weren't quite ready.

Every big time program has players leave. That's the nature of the game and you can't use that as a friggen excuse.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
How can anyone depend on Gilbert? He has been continually hurt for over two years. He can't fall without hurting his shoulder.

I wish him the best. He seems to be a good kid. But with his history the last two years, we all better keep our fingers crossed.
My thoughts from the start. Once injured it never heals 100%. One of Geno's assistant, girl with long blonde hair. I recall she injured her leg. Out the whole season, came back and reinjured it . In fact maybe I am wrong, but she injured it a 3rd time and that was it. Isn't this Gilbert's second time?

Reaction Score
If these results are the norm than Uconn basketball is already over with Ollie.

Ollie won a national championship. You can pretend he didn't, but he did. If you want Jim Christian to take over, sayonara. Because that's who is coming here.

Reaction Score
I share every one of your concerns. The only difference is that I am not ready to write off Polley and Carlton. I kinda like that they are both highly productive, highly skilled bigs who are not great athletes or measurement type guys. Looking across the country, there really aren't that many highly talented 5 men. Competent bigs who can do a few things very well are all you need at this point in time. Sure, I'd love to land a one and done big that can beast immediately, but I doubt we attract someone like that and its not the only path towards success.

This is for sure a scary time for the program. It does have some Houston, UNLV feel to it, even though our history is much stronger. F conference realignment.

To me it feels a lot more like UMass.

Bruiser Flint was one of Squid's crack assistants and they just let him fester too long and he couldn't maintain in spite of some pretty good recruiting classes. Conferences were already shifting at that time and the stronger the Big East got, the more the A-10 got shuffled off to the side. I live on this side of the border so I watched all of it and their fan base then is almost a carbon-copy of this year's UConn fan base. Complete with the whole 'if you fire him, you're firing your own' kind of stuff, 'well maybe he's not a good x and o guy, BUT HE CAN RECRUIT,' etc.

He was more or less forced out, then they managed to reel in Lappas - who was clearly using them as a stepping stone and was never really committed to the program. Then along game Ford and he WAS using it as a stepping stone. So they had enough of outside solutions so went back INSIDE~! and hired Derek Kellog and he's getting what - $1.7 million and he's got one tournament appearance in 8 years.

Eventually you start floundering, they'll go through the mud sticking to the wall thing and then probably recoil or something like that...

But it feels a lot more like UMass than those other guys.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter. Without Ollie, UConn basketball is OVER.
That was my take. But after this years' coaching performance, I don't think that is the case anymore.

Reaction Score
Ollie won a national championship. You can pretend he didn't, but he did. If you want Jim Christian to take over, sayonara. Because that's who is coming here.

This is just a completely stupid, absurd, hyper-homer nonsense.

Did you know Trent Dilfer QB'd a team to a Super Bowl?

Eric Spoelstra won two titles with the Heat

Mike Millbury made it to a Stanely Cup Finals one time, too.

Not-so-great players and coaches can win stuff - but you know, that doesn't excuse the entire rest of their body of work. I'm not comparing KO to any of those guys, but whatever he's been doing for 3 years hasn't worked and from the looks of things - isn't going to work anytime soon. Could be his assistants. Could be an approach, a poor scheme whatever. He obviously recruits well and connects with these kids on an emotional level. But past that, it's where the connection ends. He's got a year to get this team to the tournament. He doesn't - he's gone. And again - he should be.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
My thoughts from the start. Once injured it never heals 100%. One of Geno's assistant, girl with long blonde hair. I recall she injured her leg. Out the whole season, came back and reinjured it . In fact maybe I am wrong, but she injured it a 3rd time and that was it. Isn't this Gilbert's second time?
With very few exceptions, a shoulder is not a knee in terms of recovery for basketball. That said the risk isn't zero.

Reaction Score

Yup and Mike Davis took over for Bobby knight and took them to the final after 2 years. Then proceeded to have 3 straight miserable years and was forced out. That's what happens at "blue blood programs." When you get paid the big bucks you better deliver as the athletic department and fan base expect results and a return on investment.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter. Without Ollie, UConn basketball is OVER.
I don't care how many times you guys say this, it will never be true and it will never stop being an assinine assertion.

It may be unlikely that we get another great coach but it has happened here before and it happened at Gonzaga and Wichita State and Butler and many other non P5 teams in the past. Guys like Calhoun may be incredibly rare but guys better than Ollie are not quite as rare.

People who tirelessly recycle excuses are forgetting that next year will be his sixth year at UConn. Yes, there have been great coaches who have taken a few years to "hit their stride" and, yes, even great coaches can have a bad year now and then. But next year will be year 6. Not two, not three, not four. While he deserves credit for that miraculous run in 2014, he also deserves criticism for not being able to dominate a crappy conference even once. Calhouns don't grow on trees but neither do miraculous seasons. The best way to go deep in March is to have a team that looks like they will go deep in March, just about every year. It isn't happening.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I cannot speak for many, however I knew the season wasn't panning out at the end of the third game. But next year looks good. So next year we will have a very young team. As for me, this loss was extra bad because of last games loss at ECU. One of the worst teams in the conference, worse three point team in the nation shoot what...almost 14 three's? They forgot their whole year after our game. Beating us, senior night, at their house. Today I could understand. Many of us knew it was going to be a slaughter. But ECU? Crippling. Has anyone noticed that Cincy is....good? They flew for the rebounds. Our guys are always flat footed. Well Facey is excused.

Reaction Score
How? I didn't realize that just one person could be responsible for the complete success or failure of a program?

1. Ollie's cred as an NC coach and as an ex-NBA baller is keeping UConn's rep alive as a place to develop future NBAers.

2. At best, you can hope for a Mick Cronin, who specializes in what Ollie did last year, beat a P5 team in the first round, then make an exit.

3. Top athletes aren't coming to Storrs when the ex-coach of a mid-major takes over. There will be a huge talent drop. And then you'll hope they can coach as well as Mick Cronin, but you're never making it out of the first weekend.

4. And that's best case scenario. Other futures look like BC.

Reaction Score
This is just a completely stupid, absurd, hyper-homer nonsense.

Did you know Trent Dilfer QB'd a team to a Super Bowl?

Eric Spoelstra won two titles with the Heat

Mike Millbury made it to a Stanely Cup Finals one time, too.

Not-so-great players and coaches can win stuff - but you know, that doesn't excuse the entire rest of their body of work. I'm not comparing KO to any of those guys, but whatever he's been doing for 3 years hasn't worked and from the looks of things - isn't going to work anytime soon. Could be his assistants. Could be an approach, a poor scheme whatever. He obviously recruits well and connects with these kids on an emotional level. But past that, it's where the connection ends. He's got a year to get this team to the tournament. He doesn't - he's gone. And again - he should be.

On the contrary, you're the homer whistling past the graveyard. You seem to have no idea what is coming after Ollie.

Reaction Score
Yup and Mike Davis took over for Bobby knight and took them to the final after 2 years. Then proceeded to have 3 straight miserable years and was forced out. That's what happens at "blue blood programs." When you get paid the big bucks you better deliver as the athletic department and fan base expect results and a return on investment.

Oh, Indiana. You mean the B1G team that makes $50m a year? That's the example you're giving me?

By the way, Ollie won the national championship. Davis didn't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom