Not a lot of rumors flying lately | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Not a lot of rumors flying lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Y'all are a little too optimistic about Buffalo if you think the Big Ten will come calling.

Well, maybe we should bring Buffalo into the AAC, build them up a little.

Reaction Score
Y'all are a little too optimistic about Buffalo if you think the Big Ten will come calling.

#MACtion ... Y'all ... No. This one is on me. It was speculation by me to solve a practical problem that our UConn hosts have getting into the B1G: the need for another eastern partner to serve as #16 to their being #15.

Reaction Score
Uh, I could've sworn you brought it up first.

Where? That was another poster. I just said that Buffalo should upgrade hockey as I think they could be very successful. UB belongs in the MAC.

Reaction Score
Where? That was another poster. I just said that Buffalo should upgrade hockey as I think they could be very successful. UB belongs in the MAC.

Yes, I mixed you up with B1Galum

Reaction Score
Yes, I mixed you up with B1Galum

Yes. This one is on me. I take a different approach when it comes to looking at schools for B1G expansion. I start with academics/research and go forward from there to athletics unless a school is a football brand like Nebraska or Notre Dame. A school will need to meet a certain academic/research threshold, based on statements of the B1G presidents, before being considered for B1G membership. The status of UB as an AAU member, public research university, in a state contiguous to the B1G was where I started but clearly does not match on athletic criteria with the B1G as a number of board members have made clear to me. I recognize UB is not a realistic candidate for B1G expansion based on athletics.

pj

Reaction Score
It is an intriguing idea. If we needed them as a partner we'd have to wait 20 years, but given that Delany or Gee or someone has said the B1G wants to plan 50 years out, it's not out of the question that they will consider Buffalo. At least it is creative thinking on your part, B1Galum. You should forward your suggestion to Delany in case he's not as forward-thinking.

If we're planning B1G strategy 20-30 years out, I do think Stony Brook is worth considering. I realize that politically there is demand for investment in struggling regions like Buffalo and resistance from wealthy Long Islanders to expansion at Stony Brook, so it will be easier to get New York state money to Buffalo. But the B1G has the Great Lakes pretty well covered. Greater penetration into the NY metropolitan area would be very valuable. Stony Brook is an hour's drive from NYC.

Reaction Score
UB 2020 is Buffalo's version of the NYSUNY 2020 program - all the 4 university centers are doing similar initiatives. It'll be interesting to see what happens - over the past decade the SUNY system has given more freedom to the 4 university centers in terms of branding and has finally lifted the ban on private fundraising.

Binghamton & Geneseo still grabs the top students from the SUNY system but neither does much in the post-grad level compared to Buffalo & Stonybrook - I'm not sure if a true flagship can be created until all those are in-line.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
whaler11 and UConnDan97 ... I really do think UConn would be a great fit for the B1G and just looking at all the options for a partner school for you. That said ... I am taking a step back and taking a deep breath and easing up on the crazy talk and hoping somehow Virginia changes her mind about the ACC and seeks an invite to the B1G.

No worries. It's all for fun here.

Sadly, I think that the correct answer for the B1G to add with UConn would be....gulp....Syracuse. I hate to say it, but with the three schools (UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers) and the B1G football draws that they would bring (games against Mich, OSU, Penn St., etc.), I think that the B1G would stand a very good chance to capture a giant share of NYC. And that has to be the prize for anyone in college sports (or any sport, for that matter). In addition to adding the football viewership, the B1G would be undoubtedly the best basketball conference in the land. It could probably find ways to add a few preseason tourneys at MSG and be successful (possibly even a post-season tourney).

Alas, Delany thinks he can get NYC with just Rutgers. Poor confused Delany.....for our sake, I hope he realizes the error of his ways and rectifies the situation...

Reaction Score
The B1G can get NYC for all intensive purposes with UConn alone. It does not need Cuse. If UConn gets a B1G invite, and i think the BIG could go to 15 without the concerns that Frank the Tank has, there's a strong probability that Cuse will wither on vine that's called the ACC, ala BCU.

CR isn't over, once UConn has AAU status I think the B1G could expand to 15 (caveot UConn joins in 24 months) and watch what happens for the 16th spot. The B1G would have 24 months to attract one more member. Just like the teams jumped from the old BE to a stronger conference, the likelihood that someone would jump from the ACC or Big 12 to a premier conference that has only one spot left are very high.

I liked the idea that someone mentioned where if the ACC makes noise to have MSG host their tourney that could be the event to have the B1G name UConn and squash the ACC's advance into NYC.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Noting that our best chances at a B1G invite (or ACC) has passed. The partner thing is second only to the desire for further expansion. The desire for FL recruiting access is third.

Best (most likely) B1G "partners" noting.most are not very likely are:

1. Virginia
2. Kansas
(Big Drop)
3. Syracuse
4. FSU
(Real Big Drop)
5. BC
6. ND

I don't see anyone else. No carolina based team will leave on its own.

Path to ACC is simple, they lose one team.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Noting that our best chances at a B1G invite (or ACC) has passed. The partner thing is second only to the desire for further expansion. The desire for FL recruiting access is third.

Best (most likely) B1G "partners" noting.most are not very likely are:

1. Virginia
2. Kansas
(Big Drop)
3. Syracuse
4. FSU
(Real Big Drop)
5. BC
6. ND

I don't see anyone else. No carolina based team will leave on its own.

Path to ACC is simple, they lose one team.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Please explain why B1G would add any private school other than ND? Delaney specifically said state flagship universities matter. Kansas has a KSU problem. Other than UVA, ND and maybe FSU, I am not sure about other candidates.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I don't see Syracuse being a realistic candidate - they lost their AAU status a few years ago and their undergraduate admissions is becoming less selective over time. They may have the best athletics out of the NY based universities but it's not like they bring in any real part of NYC either.

I'd bet on UConn over Syracuse easily.

Reaction Score
It is an intriguing idea. If we needed them as a partner we'd have to wait 20 years, but given that Delany or Gee or someone has said the B1G wants to plan 50 years out, it's not out of the question that they will consider Buffalo. At least it is creative thinking on your part, B1Galum. You should forward your suggestion to Delany in case he's not as forward-thinking.

If we're planning B1G strategy 20-30 years out, I do think Stony Brook is worth considering. I realize that politically there is demand for investment in struggling regions like Buffalo and resistance from wealthy Long Islanders to expansion at Stony Brook, so it will be easier to get New York state money to Buffalo. But the B1G has the Great Lakes pretty well covered. Greater penetration into the NY metropolitan area would be very valuable. Stony Brook is an hour's drive from NYC.

In 20 years, UB doesn't even have football.

Reaction Score
UB 2020 is Buffalo's version of the NYSUNY 2020 program - all the 4 university centers are doing similar initiatives. It'll be interesting to see what happens - over the past decade the SUNY system has given more freedom to the 4 university centers in terms of branding and has finally lifted the ban on private fundraising.

Binghamton & Geneseo still grabs the top students from the SUNY system but neither does much in the post-grad level compared to Buffalo & Stonybrook - I'm not sure if a true flagship can be created until all those are in-line.

The article was so wrong about flagships. Berkeley is NOT the flagship of the U. Cal. system. It's the best school, but not the flagship. It's not like U. Illinois CU or U. Texas- Austin.

The SUNY system is most similar to the U. Cal. system. UCLA, San Diego, Berkeley etc. These schools are equivalents.
When you say Geneseo gets the best students, you're looking at a small campus with limited number of students. A big campus's Honors program alone has more students than Geneseo, and better students too. I've seen the numbers. It's an apples to oranges comparison when you pit a tiny liberal arts school against a school with 25k students.

Reaction Score
I strongly disagree that the UC system and the SUNY system equivalent - the article explains as much. Berkeley is the Flagship. It's the original UC university and was started decades before the birth of UCLA, UCSD, etc. This is why UCLA has a baby bear vs Cal's adult bear. Berkeley is the flagship. This is very different from the SUNY model where the admin chose to start 4 different universities at around the same time and tried its best to not upstage the private universities.

I also mentioned Binghamton if you wanted a University center example - Stonybrook has been getting better over time and is probably the #2 school after Binghamton.

Anyway this is getting away from sports talk so sorry about going OT.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Florida State is not a candidate. Since if the Big 10 wanted them it took 1 phone call and the Big 10 didn't make it.

Reaction Score
I am curious about UConn athletics, beyond basketball and football, as it relates to B1G expansion. Conference realignment will always be viewed through the prism of football; however, the B1G is clearly looking to highlight other sports with hockey and lacrosse most recently taking the stage. Aside from UConn as a basketball brand, could hockey and lacrosse at UConn spark additional interest from the B1G?
Big Ten Announces Conference Schedule for Inaugural
Season of Men's Ice Hockey

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/050813aaa.html
Big Ten Announces Institution of Men's and Women's Lacrosse and Addition of Johns Hopkins as Men's Lacrosse Sport Affiliate Member
http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-lacros/spec-rel/060313aah.html
Gopher lacrosse could soon be a D-I sport
http://goldandgopher.com/2013/06/09...ed&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Hot+Topics

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I am curious about UConn athletics, beyond basketball and football, as it relates to B1G expansion. Conference realignment will always be viewed through the prism of football; however, the B1G is clearly looking to highlight other sports with hockey and lacrosse most recently taking the stage. Aside from UConn as a basketball brand, could hockey and lacrosse at UConn spark additional interest from the B1G?
Big Ten Announces Institution of Men's and Women's Lacrosse and Addition of Johns Hopkins as Men's Lacrosse Sport Affiliate Member
http://goldandgopher.com/2013/06/09/gopher-lacrosse-could-soon-be-a-d-i-sport/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Hot+Topics

I won't pretend to know anything about lacrosse but as far as hockey goes, I think UConn can actually do pretty well. Quinnipiac and Yale have shown a CT school can attract talent and Connecticut is actually a pretty good state for high school hockey players. There is a pretty decent Connecticut representation in the NHL, both past and present. If UConn can get some of this talent to play for them, I think the hockey program has a really good chance at taking off relatively quickly.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
http://goldandgopher.com/2013/06/09/gopher-lacrosse-could-soon-be-a-d-i-sport/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Hot+Topics .

I agree with Dooley that hockey is on the verge of breaking out and playing with the big boys. Our game against Quinnipiac last year proved as much, and we do have a heck of a lot of hockey talent in the state.

Also, soccer is extremely strong in both men's and women's teams, the baseball team is doing pretty well (playoffs two of the last three), and we're also good in other Olympic sports like field hockey, etc. From an overall athletic department standpoint, we are really strong...

Reaction Score
Looking at the Director's cup UConn was 61st last year and 52 so far this year. This is actually pretty respectable and is ahead of quite of a few schools in the major conferences.

Reaction Score
Please explain why B1G would add any private school other than ND? Delaney specifically said state flagship universities matter. Kansas has a KSU problem. Other than UVA, ND and maybe FSU, I am not sure about other candidates.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Doesn't FSU have a FL problem? FL is the flagship university in the state of Florida.

Reaction Score
The prep schools in Ct have played Lacrosse for many years
It was a N/E Indian game.
I had a friend who was a former head highschool football coach that fell in love with the game and became certified to ref lacrosse.
he predicted it would become a popular sport.
I just returned from Ct were I was astonished at the number of public schools now playing. I fear it will be at the expense of baseball.
My nephew from Shelton plays Hockey/ Lacrosse
That would have been heresy a generation ago.
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Don't forget the UConn Polo team
UConn has a bunch of sports to fill the BTN .
We are a natural for the B1G and with the ease of access and diversity of sites, it will be a favorite destination for B1G fans.

Reaction Score
The other thing about Buffalo is that it is physically and culturally more of a Great Lakes town than an East Coast town. I'm not sure how much sway the State University of New York - Buffalo will have in New York City even if it does rebrand itself as the University of New York.

But SUNY Stony Brook is right outside NYC, and is in the AAU. Why don't we make them our #16?

Stony Brook -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stony_Brook_University 16k undergrad, 8k grad students
Buffalo -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_at_Buffalo,_The_State_University_of_New_York 19k undergrad, 9.5k grad students

Of the four "university centers" in the SUNY system, these are the two biggest -- Albany and Binghamton are about half their size. These are also the two AAU members in the SUNY system.

Stony Book Football is currently FCS, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stony_Brook_Seawolves_football.
You are just kidding right pj? I mean damn, why not add CCSU? They just expanded their stadium and hve been playing good football lately. Plus, they could share The Rent for home games with UConn if they got in the B1G. If they keep referring to themselves as the Blue Devils, the powers that be in the B1G might think they are getting Duke! I see it now, add Buffalo, Stony Brook, and CCSU. It all makes perfect sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom