Not a lot of rumors flying lately | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not a lot of rumors flying lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, UCONN would walk away from $20M in exit fee money, this years guaranteed BCS payout, residual NCAA tourney units, etc. for $4M? I'm sure the time will come to leave behind cash as part of an exit deal, but it should be in return for a much greater windfall.

Whats the timeline of that payment? From your post I guess they are going to string it out to keep you around? I guess I just assumed it would mostly get paid out at once.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Im just a MAC fan and not so much of a UB fan, but think it is a great idea and looks sharp. I hear Syracuse is annoyed, but UB as New York's largest state university and only public FBS team, feels that they should be able to claim being New York's flagship program and is rolling out those logos everywhere to make a push to make a claim over 'Cuse.
It's a smart move.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
White said in a release. "As fans are watching our games in Alumni Arena, we want the message to serve as a reminder that UB is not just a great institution in the city of Buffalo, but it also ranks as the largest and most comprehensive public university in the state and the only Division I FBS program in the SUNY system. With an alumni base that reaches across New York, we felt it was time to capitalize on our status in the Empire State, similar to our peer AAU institutions that compete at the FBS level across the country."

I admit I have no personal historical context to draw upon with respect to this university. However, I do find this rebrand of interest as it relates to the B1G. This statement, "With an alumni base that reaches across New York, we felt it was time to capitalize on our status in the Empire State, similar to our peer AAU institutions that compete at the FBS level across the country.", can be interpreted as a direct message to the B1G. The idea of UB in the B1G may be fantasy, laughable, ridiculous, etc. to some of you. However, an AAU public research university with a FBS football team in the state of New York on an upward trajectory with their strategic plan (http://www.buffalo.edu/ub2020/about/what_is_ub_2020.html) could at least get a look, perhaps no more, from the B1G which desires expansion into the east.

There are connections between UB, UConn and Ohio State. As you know, your athletic director, held that position at UB just before his start at UConn. Joseph Alutto our (Ohio State) Executive Vice President and Provost and now interim president served from 1976 to 1990 as the Dean of the SUNY-Buffalo School of Management. UB is going to have an opportunity to test themselves against a B1G team when it plays Ohio State to open the 2013 season. These connections may not mean a whole h* of a lot but they do exist.

I have clearly stated on your board that I feel UConn would be a great addition to the B1G. However, you have another problem, aside from lack of AAU membership, getting into the B1G and that is who is going to be a #16 school to you as #15. To use a phrase from Frank "a Noah's ark approach" is what is going to happen moving forward. Make fun of the idea of UB to the B1G all you want. It does not change the fact that you need another school to get into the B1G. Again, you can outright dismiss the idea of UB to the B1G or you can begin to advance the idea that UB, an AAU public research university with a FBS football team in the state of New York, combined with UConn offers significant potential to make the B1G the dominant conference in the northeast and NYC in particular. You want in the B1G? Find a partner school and promote the h* out of each other as great additions to the B1G and how the two of you complete the B1G's goal of being a true bi-regional conference.
Well it does solve the contiguous problem for us, doesn't it?

Reaction Score
Whats the timeline of that payment? From your post I guess they are going to string it out to keep you around? I guess I just assumed it would mostly get paid out at once.

UCONN wishes. Exit payment fees, etc. are stretched out over 4-5 years. NCAA units are payed out over 5 years as well. So, next year, AAC members will still get a slice of NCAA tourney games that happened years ago. The advantage the new AAC has over the previous BE is that the revenue is distributed over far fewer teams. Having said that 5 years out, the conference will only benefit from the success of current member performance in the NCAAs.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I can only buy the Buffalo thing so much....how many more schools with weak athletic programs is the B1G, and its members, willing to have? They have Rutgers, do they want an even weaker program, across all sports, in Buffalo? I just can't see it. I understand UConn will need a #16 or #15 but I think we have time to see who that program is. UConn, unfortunately, won't be going anywhere for 4-5 years it seems, by then, who the heck knows what schools will be where......

Reaction Score
Unless the B1G wants to take UB under its wing by admitting them now prior to any commitments or investments by UB, it just ain't happening (I'm referring to the UB side of things). It is likelier that UB become a BU.

Well it does solve the contiguous problem for us, doesn't it?

Yes. It does. I think UConn to the B1G, aside from pursuit of AAU membership, is really dependent upon finding another east coast university as a partner.

Missouri is not likely coming to the B1G in my opinion. The B1G passed already and Missouri stands to enrich itself via money and access to recruits by remaining in the SEC.
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/coll...cle_6371a1f1-a649-54cf-8176-3e51512ff71b.html

An ACC school is not likely coming to the B1G in my opinion. Virginia and other members of the ACC have made a decision to move forward together and attempt to brand the ACC as the dominant basketball conference.
http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/06/07/acc-tv-ratings-national-interest/?sct=uk_t11_a0

A west coast partner is not likely in my opinion.

Oklahoma really seems tied to OSU.
“I would also underline the fact that we’re working very, very closely with our friends at Oklahoma State University. As I’ve looked at other places and seen their relationship – or perhaps their lack of a good relationship – between even universities in the same state, I appreciate even more the close relationship that we have with Oklahoma State University. We are conferring daily, the two presidents with each other, the leaders of the athletics departments with each other. Whatever we do, we’re going to do it together. I think that’s very good news for the state of Oklahoma. It shows the kind of quality of cooperation and unity that strengthens our state.
http://newsok.com/david-boren-realignment-transcript-first-portion/article/3776949

Kansas really seems tied to KSU.
"What makes me happy and proud is that both KU and K-State have worked as a team throughout these meetings in Kansas City, basically as one voice," said Dan Lykins, a member of the Kansas Board of Regents. "I think that's helped a lot. Both ADs, Lew Perkins and John Currie, are working closely with other ADs. President Schulz gave a real inspirational speech at one of the meetings. I know he's very well respected among the other presidents and ADs." If the Big 12 falls apart, KU and K-State will be looking for a new home. Wherever they go, Lykins said, they will go together. "KU and K-State will always be in the same conference together," Lykins said. "There's not going to be a split."
http://cjonline.com/sports/football/2010-06-05/big_12_best_option_for_ku_ksu

I really do share the skepticism of Upstater about UB to the B1G but so much has happened in conference realignment over the past 4 years that I find it increasingly difficult to absolutely exclude a possibility regardless of how remote. The " largest and most comprehensive public university in the state and the only Division I FBS program in the SUNY system." , which resides in a state that the B1G wants to further penetrate and set up an east coast office in, is a consideration albeit a remote one. If the B1G wants to dominate NYC then UConn is a must but another school is needed for realignment to fulfill the wish of many on this board to join the B1G.

pj

Reaction Score
Well, Buffalo is AAU so it will test your (or someone's) assertion that it's easier to build a athletic program from scratch (and $500 mn) than to build a research powerhouse. The question is, who is going to come up with the $500 mn?

Reaction Score
Well, Buffalo is AAU so it will test your (or someone's) assertion that it's easier to build a athletic program from scratch (and $500 mn) than to build a research powerhouse. The question is, who is going to come up with the $500 mn?

I need to make sure GopherHawk gets the credit for that assertion.

If there was a feeling the Boston market could be tapped. The question would be, "What would take more time and money. Making a school AAU worthy or creating Football and BB programs that can compete?"

My answer would be you could make football and BB programs competitive in 5-7 years for $500M in stadiums/coaching. It might take longer and more $'s to make a school AAU worthy.

Delany has said the B1G is trying to be in position for the next 50+ years. That statement is good for UCONN. That means more additions can be made on potential.

I agree there is nothing about UB athletics that says B1G to me but AAU membership, large public research university, east coast team does. Again this is a speculation on my part for a #16 to UConn as a #15. I like the idea of UConn in the B1G and am trying to look at all possibilities for another school.

I will say this with respect to athletics, football in particular, the only way the B1G is going to get back to the pinnacle of football success is via Ohio State and/or Michigan. Meyer and Hoke are challenging the SEC in recruiting right now. Whether that translates to on field success remains to be seen. However, the B1G already has the football brands. It just needs them to perform when it counts.

pj

Reaction Score
The other thing about Buffalo is that it is physically and culturally more of a Great Lakes town than an East Coast town. I'm not sure how much sway the State University of New York - Buffalo will have in New York City even if it does rebrand itself as the University of New York.

But SUNY Stony Brook is right outside NYC, and is in the AAU. Why don't we make them our #16?

Stony Brook -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stony_Brook_University 16k undergrad, 8k grad students
Buffalo -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_at_Buffalo,_The_State_University_of_New_York 19k undergrad, 9.5k grad students

Of the four "university centers" in the SUNY system, these are the two biggest -- Albany and Binghamton are about half their size. These are also the two AAU members in the SUNY system.

Stony Book Football is currently FCS, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stony_Brook_Seawolves_football.

Reaction Score
Everyone is fired up for Michigan but the Maryland game will be awesome. If you hate Edsall it's a huge opportunity to bury him.

He's got a decent roster and they have no reason not to be at least 7-5.

I hope they don't finish 7-5..That may save his job even the kid's don't like him but Locksley seem's to be revered by recruit's which in turn up till now saved RE's job!

Reaction Score
The other thing about Buffalo is that it is physically and culturally more of a Great Lakes town than an East Coast town. I'm not sure how much sway the State University of New York - Buffalo will have in New York City even if it does rebrand itself as the University of New York.

But SUNY Stony Brook is right outside NYC, and is in the AAU. Why don't we make them our #16?

Stony Brook -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stony_Brook_University 16k undergrad, 8k grad students
Buffalo -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_at_Buffalo,_The_State_University_of_New_York 19k undergrad, 9.5k grad students

Of the four "university centers" in the SUNY system, these are the two biggest -- Albany and Binghamton are about half their size. These are also the two AAU members in the SUNY system.

Stony Book Football is currently FCS, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stony_Brook_Seawolves_football.

UB is about to expand by 10k students. They have the same bill passed in NYS that UConn passed this week.

That being said, you have to take recruiting and such into account. You have to take interest into account. I've been saying this for a long time, but UB would skyrocket to the top of hockey rankings if they had a D1 hockey team. The talent around here puts even Eastern Mass. to shame. And the interest around here in hockey is through the roof. It's a wonder the school even messes with football.

Reaction Score
I had a call from Maryland athletic marketing today. I bought my tickets last year for our game through them.(sorry I like 50 yard line seats) After telling him I was UCONN fan we had long conversations about Edsall and how he was thought of here and how he hoped they would let him be accepted there. Things did not sound good for him. But what really bothered me when I told him congrats on getting into the big and how as a Uconn fan we were envious. Total silence and he changed the conversation. Take it for what it is worth.

Great for the Terp's now they can be outsider's in two conferences!Way to make friend's and show your gratefulness for bailing out your athletic dept and making major concession's to offset traveling cost's:confused:! !

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
When you start talking about the University at Buffalo to the Big 10.... it's time to take a step back and a deep breath.

I throw the "Buffalo to B1G" talk in the same bin with the "Tulane to SEC" and "Rice to Big12" collection. Lots of crazy to go around...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
B1GAlum, I gotta give it to ya. Your posts are well thought out and usually backed up. That last post with links was well done. It is nice to have some posters here who actually wanna talk normally instead of talk smack. Sorry again for lumping you and some others back in that other thread. You are def proving me mistaken and I'm glad to Have ya (even if Buffalo to B1G is crazy talk :rolleyes: )

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
When you start talking about the University at Buffalo to the Big 10.... it's time to take a step back and a deep breath.

I throw the "Buffalo to B1G" talk in the same bin with the "Tulane to SEC" and "Rice to Big12" collection. Lots of crazy to go around...

whaler11 and UConnDan97 ... I really do think UConn would be a great fit for the B1G and just looking at all the options for a partner school for you. That said ... I am taking a step back and taking a deep breath and easing up on the crazy talk and hoping somehow Virginia changes her mind about the ACC and seeks an invite to the B1G.

B1GAlum, I gotta give it to ya. Your posts are well thought out and usually backed up. That last post with links was well done. It is nice to have some posters here who actually wanna talk normally instead of talk smack. Sorry again for lumping you and some others back in that other thread. You are def proving me mistaken and I'm glad to Have ya (even if Buffalo to B1G is crazy talk :rolleyes: )

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

UCBFan ... Thank you. This is your board. I respect that and smack talk is not my style. I just enjoy talking about the B1G especially with those who have an interest in where it is headed and perhaps wanting to be a part of it. I hope a few years down the road UConn to the B1G will be a celebration for you and not speculation.

Mike

Reaction Score
UB is about to expand by 10k students. They have the same bill passed in NYS that UConn passed this week.

That being said, you have to take recruiting and such into account. You have to take interest into account. I've been saying this for a long time, but UB would skyrocket to the top of hockey rankings if they had a D1 hockey team. The talent around here puts even Eastern Mass. to shame. And the interest around here in hockey is through the roof. It's a wonder the school even messes with football.

Buffalo would do very well in Hockey. Their ACHA club team draws wells. Rumor was they considered joining the CCHA and starting a D1 program as the CCHA was falling apart with the formation of the Big Ten Hockey and NCHC. Bowling Green, Buffalo, and Lake State were going to merge with Canisius, Niagra, and a couple other Atlantic Hockey programs who want to sponsor full scholarships of 18. They were hoping for a donation from the Sabre's owner but it fell through.

I think there is a decent chance Iowa State upgrades their club team and joins the NCHC as they would be sitting in a great spot in the conference and Iowa supports hockey well.

Reaction Score
Iowa St and UCONN to the BIG, now there's a thought.

Reaction Score
Buffalo's a former private school that joined the SUNY system in the 60s and is #3 or #4 in the pecking order amongst the NY SUNYs (in terms of selectivity for undergrads)- it's also further away from NYC than Rutgers, Penn State, UConn, and Maryland.

I think an argument can be made for Stony Brook if they move up to FBS and build it for the next 20-30 years but I really don't see what Buffalo brings to a major conference. It's not even a major power within the MAC.

SUNY's a weird system and there's no clear cut ideal flagship candidate - NY times has a good article on it here. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/education/25suny-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
whaler11 and UConnDan97 ... I really do think UConn would be a great fit for the B1G and just looking at all the options for a partner school for you. That said ... I am taking a step back and taking a deep breath and easing up on the crazy talk and hoping somehow Virginia changes her mind about the ACC and seeks an invite to the B1G.

UCBFan ... Thank you. This is your board. I respect that and smack talk is not my style. I just enjoy talking about the B1G especially with those who have an interest in where it is headed and perhaps wanting to be a part of it. I hope a few years down the road UConn to the B1G will be a celebration for you and not speculation.

Mike

Buddy you are fine - but Buffalo in the Big 10 is just ridiculous. They can't put together teams that can compete in the MAC. I know some here have forgotten that the Big 10 is actually a sports league.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Minnesota State has a better chance than Iowa State. At least their coaches had a reality show on ABC. Craig T Nelson > John L Smith.

pj

Reaction Score
Of all the B1G candidates outside major conferences, Colorado State makes the most sense to me. But you don't hear anything about them. Even Air Force is listed ahead of them among Colorado schools when B12 expansion is discussed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Of all the B1G candidates outside major conferences, Colorado State makes the most sense to me. But you don't hear anything about them. Even Air Force is listed ahead of them among Colorado schools when B12 expansion is discussed.

Well if you get dumped by Colorado do you date Colorado State. You can at least pretend Air Force has a national fan base.

Try to imagine the Air Force in the Big 12. They could never compete.

Reaction Score
Buffalo's a former private school that joined the SUNY system in the 60s and is #3 or #4 in the pecking order amongst the NY SUNYs (in terms of selectivity for undergrads)- it's also further away from NYC than Rutgers, Penn State, UConn, and Maryland.

I think an argument can be made for Stony Brook if they move up to FBS and build it for the next 20-30 years but I really don't see what Buffalo brings to a major conference. It's not even a major power within the MAC.

SUNY's a weird system and there's no clear cut ideal flagship candidate - NY times has a good article on it here. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/education/25suny-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

It's pretty clear in the system that Buffalo is ahead. It's ahead in all the Carnegie and National Foundations, ahead in the peer rankings, ahead in research. It also has taken the lead on future development with UB 2020.

Reaction Score
Y'all are a little too optimistic about Buffalo if you think the Big Ten will come calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom