Not a lot of rumors flying lately | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Not a lot of rumors flying lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Flagship, shmagship. Who gives a crap anyway? Do you think if ND wants in to the B1G they are going to worry if they are a flagship university? The whole deal from any league's perspective is, what's in it for us. They are looking at TV, population, wealth, etc. All the other bs is just that, bs. They can change the rules whenever they want. It's all about the benjamins. Can't you take this boring discourse off-line?

Reaction Score
Asked and answered already. Never said what you said I said. I wrote that the MP says the campuses are equal and that the Chancellor was told not to use the word flagship to describe his university. You claimed this wasn't true. I gave you a link that proved it was true. Now you're trying weasly words to skirt around these facts. So it's impossible to continue this discussion.

You're right. There are only so many times, in so many ways, in so many links, that I can prove you wrong, yet you refuse to acknowledge you are wrong.

No point continuing this argument. You are right about that.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
THE THREAD THAT WOULDN'T DIE!!!!!!

Actually while I find all of the talk to be silly I'm loving it because no one here has bit on my op. there are 2 things going on with it. Neither which has been figured out yet. I'm fingering myself by the minute that everyone is so blind. I really am. Fingering myself.

Reaction Score
Actually while I find all of the talk to be silly I'm loving it because no one here has bit on my op. there are 2 things going on with it. Neither which has been figured out yet. I'm fingering myself by the minute that everyone is so blind. I really am. Fingering myself.
Don't go giving yourself a dirty Sanchez afterward.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

such a clever boy...

Reaction Score
sorry guys, maybe I need a snickers, but the last 4 or 5 pages of this thread has been dreadful. I guess summer time is here.

Thank god we have an energetic FB coach and a police incident to spice things up, oh wait thats UNC.

At least it is all written in English instead of the HFD related diatribes.

Reaction Score
Yale does to some extent. I remember having conversations with my neighbour who was a Yale prof and later with my college track coach (who was also a nationally ranked decathelete and was recruited by serveral Ivies) about the Ivy League and recruitment... both indicated that coaches had some latitude in the people they brought in.

Yes, this does happen at the Ivy level, but what you need to compare is the Ivy League admission standard to another competitive universities. Kids that play hockey etc... At Yale which would otherwise not be able to get in without their athletic ability would in many cases EASILY get into other schools. The measure is a little off center in this type of situation.

Reaction Score
Yes, this does happen at the Ivy level, but what you need to compare is the Ivy League admission standard to another competitive universities. Kids that play hockey etc... At Yale which would otherwise not be able to get in without their athletic ability would in many cases EASILY get into other schools. The measure is a little off center in this type of situation.
Yale better do something in sports.(I'm not sure winning in hockey excites the base.
Their endowment is slipping badly.
I'm not sure but all those losses to Harvard and mediocrity in IVy football might be the reason.
This slippage comes on the heels of 3 US presidents with Yale
ties.
So appersntly beating Harvard in football is more important than we think.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Yale better do something in sports.(I'm not sure winning in hockey excites the base.
I'm not sure but all those losses to Harvard and mediocrity in IVy football might be the reason.
ties.

Certainly increased success with their sports teams would help. However another, probably larger issue, is philosophical in nature. That is that many of the conservative alumni have reduced or witheld their donations in recent years out of disgust with Yale's ultra liberal leanings. Here is an article that deals with the athletic recruiting issue: http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2012/03/26/recruitment-caps-come-at-a-cost/

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I hope you do realize that Yale's endowment at this point is more about status than need. When last I checked, they had an endowment of 19 billion (Harvard's was 24 billion). To put that number in perspective, that means that all of the 3.5 million people in the state of CT could stop paying taxes tomorrow, and Yale could still run the entire state budget until next May.

They have more than enough money to accomplish any structural, institutional, or research investment 10o times over. But I'm sure they would like to also start beating Harvard in football again, too...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
ties.

The Yale endowment is effected by return on investment far more than donations at this point. Their endowment returned nearly 14% on average over the last 20 years although its dipped recently. If I'm not mistaken the endowment has continued to grow, just at a slower pace based on investment return not football games

Reaction Score
The Yale endowment is effected by return on investment far more than donations at this point. Their endowment returned nearly 14% on average over the last 20 years although its dipped recently. If I'm not mistaken the endowment has continued to grow, just at a slower pace based on investment return not football games

ROI is important. U. Rochester was at 1.5b in the 1980s. 25 years later it's at.... $1.5b.

Reaction Score
Yeah - investment is how most endowments increase. Endowments are actually historically one of the biggest investors into VC funds and other alternative investments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom