Non-Key Tweets | Page 663 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
The origin of the hand sign is depressing: "During her transport from Houston to Austin, one of the fingers on Shasta's paw was severed when the cage door was closed. As the University of Texas partisans and players caught wind of the accident, they mimicked the animal by bending their thumb over the ring finger against their palm. This gesture implied that the Cougars were invalids. The Cougars would go on to lose the game 28-7."

A poor tortured animal looses a "finger".... and they make a hand sign out of it.

So let me see if I get this:

• Houston's handlers were so incompetent they severed the finger of their own mascot.
  • They went on to get blown away during the game in Texas.
  • The hand symbol was created by a rival school to mock them.

Today they proudly use it themselves?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tilman Fertitta ‏@TilmanJFertitta · 2h2 hours ago
What a great day! So proud to be able to support @UHouston to revamp #hofheinz & help get us to @Big12Conference.

Cqt3tWCVMAA0jLL.jpg
I don't know about the rest of you, but I find the fact that other schools a lauding plans to build facilities that are lesser to our existing facilities, well, just adorable!

Reaction Score
So let me see if I get this:

• Houston's handlers were so incompetent they severed the finger of their own mascot.
  • They went on to get blown away during the game in Texas.
  • The hand symbol was created by a rival school to mock them.

Today they proudly use it themselves?

1) cougar's don't have fingers

2) do not Google "cougar finger" because the results are not what you might be expecting.

Reaction Score
I know of him... but he was there after I graduated :) 1993 Parks Grad
Donigan is a 1988 UConn grad and soccer star. Soccer Sundays were awesome back in the day. And yes, there used to be kegs in the stands too - just before my time.

Reaction Score
uconn needs a hand gesture and/or a catchy battle cry like Roll Tide or War Eagle...
How about MUSH!!!!

Months ago when I decided to root for UConn as my personal favorite choice for Big 12 expansion part of it was for logical reasons like reputation, academics and market. But deep in my heart I knew even then that there were some other tangibles that would clearly mean less to others:

Like the fact that you have real live mascot, named Jonathan.

Back in the '60s and '70s almost all of the SWC schools had live animal mascots. It was a quintessential southwestern thing to do while all of those weird midwestern schools had esoteric colloquial people names like Sooners and Huskers and Hoosier and whatnot.

Call me crazy, but when I look at UConn, I see a kindred spirit that just happens to be 1800 miles away.

Reaction Score
Months ago when I decided to root for UConn as my personal favorite choice for Big 12 expansion part of it was for logical reasons like reputation, academics and market. But deep in my heart I knew even then that there were some other tangibles that would clearly mean less to others:

Back in the '60s and '70s almost all of the SWC schools had live animal mascots. It was a quintessential southwestern thing to do while all of those weird midwestern schools had esoteric colloquial people names like Sooners and Huskers and Hoosier and whatnot.

Call me crazy, but when I look at UConn, I see a kindred spirit that just happens to be 1800 miles away.

Thanks Charley Horse. Everything is going to be ok! (cue the men in white coats.....)

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

So glad I didn't go to Purdue. They have the combined creepiest mascot / blandest nickname in sports.

Reaction Score
Btw if you didn't watch this video on ranking every single college football mascot by size, check it out:

Reaction Score
I always thought it was cool their teams were named after a glass of beer with a shot of whisky in it.
That's a dept charge . The only way I could stomach beer.
A boilermaker is a shot of rye , with a draft chaser
In my blue collar town where I grew up , that's what real men drank.
That was lunch for some guys.

Reaction Score
uconn needs a hand gesture and/or a catchy battle cry like Roll Tide or War Eagle...
How about MUSH!!!!

Isn't that the hand gesture for U Texas, i.e. hook 'em horns, just with an added finger to make it look like a 'XII." Kissing both backsides at the same time.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The origin of the hand sign is depressing: "During her transport from Houston to Austin, one of the fingers on Shasta's paw was severed when the cage door was closed. As the University of Texas partisans and players caught wind of the accident, they mimicked the animal by bending their thumb over the ring finger against their palm. This gesture implied that the Cougars were invalids. The Cougars would go on to lose the game 28-7."

A poor tortured animal looses a "finger".... and they make a hand sign out of it.
All things considered I'd rather lose a finger than lose what Bevo had to loose in order to become a steer.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Dude is claiming BYU might have nine votes. This after saying he thinks expansion will only be two teams and it will be Houston and Cincy.

Reaction Score

Dude is claiming BYU might have nine votes. This after saying he thinks expansion will only be two teams and it will be Houston and Cincy.

Ahhh the days when you are happy to be blocked on Twitter by that loser...and the bunch of memphis losers as well!

Reaction Score
If this is true, its great news. But with the B12, who knows!
Not trying to defend Houston but if there were real sources indicating that they were out, I doubt Tillman Fertitta donates $20 million for a renovated basketball stadium yesterday. I mean, I guess he could just be a great donor but I had never heard of him caring much about UH before the Big 12 expansion noise starting coming through.

Reaction Score
Not trying to defend Houston but if there were real sources indicating that they were out, I doubt Tillman Fertitta donates $20 million for a renovated basketball stadium yesterday. I mean, I guess he could just be a great donor but I had never heard of him caring much about UH before the Big 12 expansion noise starting coming through.

Not to play Devil's advocate, but UConn's gotten plenty of charitable gifts to our football and bball programs with our future very much in doubt.

Reaction Score
Not to play Devil's advocate, but UConn's gotten plenty of charitable gifts to our football and bball programs with our future very much in doubt.
Very true. It just seems like strange timing to me. Fertitta has been eating up this media attention but I think he would be less vocal if someone in the know told him UH to Big 12 ain't happening. I'm basically saying that I think S w a im's tweet is BS but it's not like that's news to anyone hah.

Reaction Score
Very true. It just seems like strange timing to me. Fertitta has been eating up this media attention but I think he would be less vocal if someone in the know told him UH to Big 12 ain't happening. I'm basically saying that I think S w a im's tweet is BS but it's not like that's news to anyone hah.

I mean to quote someone else here the other day, a GS tweet and a token will get you a ride on the Subway.

Also rich donors like Frittata love attention. Doesn't matter if Houston was in the Sun Belt, he'd still be milking this for all it's worth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom