uses the force
Reaction Score
BYU 46.03% (3,005 votes)

UCONN 15.94% (1,041 votes)

Cincinnati 19.44% (1,269 votes)

USF 9.54% (623 votes)

UCF 9.05% (591 votes)

Total Votes: 6,529
Well it doesn't mean jack, not like the Big XII is sending invites based on this polls results.

Reaction Score
I think you are confusing the GoR with the media contract. The GoR is between the conference and the schools, the media contract is between the conference and their media partners.

The GoR is a where the conference schools bundle their rights to sell to the media partners. That's all you linked. The media contract is the actual trade of services. Two separate contracts between separate entities. The Big12 sells the rights secured in the GoR to the partners for money.

The rumor (just a rumor) was that the media contract, not the GoR, was void if the number of schools dropped to eight. Since the media partners have the right of refusal on any school added, media partners could then decide who to allow the Big12 to invite, if anybody at all. If Fox and ESPN are happy with the product, they will do nothing. If not?

Sorry for the delayed response, but to correct you, the Grant of Rights is an addendum to the media contract that grants the rights to the conference for a set duration of time in order for the conference to perform guarantees to the media partner(s). It isn't really accurate to say they are two separate contracts. They actually are not. If you look at the GOR, you will see it specifically says it's an addendum to the media deal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It isn't accurate to say they are two separate contracts. They actually are not. If you look at the GOR, you will see it specifically says it's an addendum to the media deal.

So if a school changes conference affiliation, does the network "own" the rights, or the former conference? Or is it far more complicated than that?

Reaction Score
So if a school changes conference affiliation, does the network "own" the rights, or the former conference? Or is it far more complicated than that?

The network has exclusive rights to fulfill its financial obligations to the conference. The conference cannot interfere with the network's right to broadcast the games, in a nutshell.

That's why I gasp when people say the purpose of a Grant of Rights is to keep teams in a conference. It absolutely is not. The purpose is to guarantee the network the teams will be part of the media deal for a set duration rather than indefinitely.

Reaction Score
But the bylaws say that the conference doesn't have to pass that money along to the school.

That would still be alright, since the new conference could strike a deal allowing it to make up the difference, but the former conference is going to withhold that money and "apply" it to the ridiculous exit fee.

Very interesting...

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well it doesn't mean jack, not like the Big XII is sending invites based on this polls results.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Or are they?

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 1h1 hour ago
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye...r-distracting-from-big-12-basketballs-success

LOL!

My goodness..the reality is not fitting in with @dennisdoddcbs false narrative of a happy and sound B12.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 1h1 hour ago
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye...r-distracting-from-big-12-basketballs-success

With all this pissing and moaning there must be done real nervous people in B12 country

Greg Flugaur Retweeted
Ryan Downing ‏@Ryan_Downing5 · 1h1 hour ago
@dennisdoddcbs The issues Boren has are greater than one season of very good basketball

Reaction Score
My guess is that Boren thinks he has a greater duty to the long term success of OU as an institution than he does to Dodd's enjoyment of the current basketball season. But what do I know.
You'd think that point would be obvious to a national writer like Dodd. That was strange reading. Big East had some phenomenal basketball seasons as well at one time. Whoop dee damn do.

Reaction Score
Pitt, Rutgers, And WVU were also plaintiffs.....but Blumenthal was the voice of the suit.

When the accusation was made that BC's Athletic Director, Defillipo, deliberately misled Big East officials in a sort of conspiracy, it got personal with him, I think.

Nobody seemed to hold it against Pitt, and all we really know is that BC was the one publicly vocal and negative about UConn and the ACC

Other than Boston College, I wonder if the other programs really gave a rat's patootie.

You're telling us what went on, but we know it, and your info is wrong. There are people on this board who are actually pretty high up in the schools we're discussing, and they reported personally what they themselves said to the president of BC. It wasn't pretty. And oh, it wasn't even the BC AD who lead the reorganization of the BE. It was the President of BC. He's the one who was insulted by Pitt and Syracuse etc.

As for why BC blackballs UConn, how much plainer do you want it. We knew earlier than 2003 that BC didn't want the competition. They said so explicitly in Bob Ryan's articles in the Boston Globe. BC said so explicitly in the blackball article in 2011 when Pitt joined.

It's no mystery--you shouldn't present it as one.

Reaction Score
You're telling us what went on, but we know it, and your info is wrong. There are people on this board who are actually pretty high up in the schools we're discussing, and they reported personally what they themselves said to the president of BC. It wasn't pretty. And oh, it wasn't even the BC AD who lead the reorganization of the BE. It was the President of BC. He's the one who was insulted by Pitt and Syracuse etc.

As for why BC blackballs UConn, how much plainer do you want it. We knew earlier than 2003 that BC didn't want the competition. They said so explicitly in Bob Ryan's articles in the Boston Globe. BC said so explicitly in the blackball article in 2011 when Pitt joined.

It's no mystery--you shouldn't present it as one.

I don't....I understand BC's antipathy. What is a mystery is if that antipathy had a lot of actual influence in ACC decisions...

Could be that there were a confluence of other factors that carried the day, and that BC's antipathy was noted but not the deciding factor.

We do know that Coach K was a signal caller in the ACC and he did not get what he wanted......my thought is that he and UNC could normally over ride a BC blackball. But there was a major push going on against that coalition of former signal callers.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't....I understand BC's antipathy. What is a mystery is if that antipathy had a lot of actual influence in ACC decisions...

Could be that there were a confluence of other factors that carried the day, and that BC's antipathy was noted but not the deciding factor.

We do know that Coach K was a signal caller in the ACC and he did not get what he wanted.my thought is that he and UNC could normally over ride a BC blackball. But there was a major push going on against that coalition of former signal callers.
Dude, the narrative is very well known to us. Your trying to spin it does nothing other than being vaguely annoying. Let it go.

Reaction Score

We do know that Coach K was a signal caller in the ACC and he did not get what he wanted.my thought is that he and UNC could normally over ride a BC blackball. But there was a major push going on against that coalition of former signal callers.

Pitt was a more than adequate replacement for UConn

Reaction Score
This definitely falls into non-Key Tweet category:
Reign of Troy‏@ReignofTroy
Report: #USC has offered Louisville's Tom Jurich the open athletic director job http://reignoftroy.com/2016/02/10/report-usc-offers-louisville-ad-tom-jurich/…

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
How about a non-key dream?

Last night I had a dream that the final 4 this year was Oklahoma, Kansas, UConn, and Temple. Obviously this means that Temple should be considered by the B12 and they would be the most powerful basketball conference ever with those two additions.

CL82

Reaction Score
Let's start a Julie Herman back to Louisville as Jurich's successor rumor...
If done right, shortly after Jurich's announcement, this could get some entertaining traction.

"Hearing Louisville looking hard at Julie Hermann.... Feeling is that no one could fix the dumpster fire that is Rutgers.... Given the stripper issue, administration wants a woman to rehabilitate schools image.... Athletic Department is secondary to this."

Get it out there in installments and watch the fireworks in the fan base.

(Note the 'bonus' shot at Rutgers;))

Reaction Score
If done right, shortly after Jurich's announcement, this could get some entertaining traction.

"Hearing Louisville looking hard at Julie Hermann.... Feeling is that no one could fix the dumpster fire that is Rutgers.... Given the stripper issue, administration wants a woman to rehabilitate schools image.... Athletic Department is secondary to this."

Geez, what has the ACC become?

Reaction Score

Eh. Saying Rutgers is a dumpster fire is no more of a "shot" than saying I am aging and overweight, or that the nature causes night to follow day. Some things just plainly are.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom