Non-Key Discussion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did not think of the potential NBC link should they bid on B1G and combine their B1G contract with their ND contract. Not sure if it works contract wise; but, it makes sense logistically.

Should there be any fire behind this smoke of ND moving the the B1g for all of their sports, the ACC should be very worried, especially in NY, and that should be a good thing for UConn. No one school controls the NY market. The ACC has weight in NYC because of both Syracuse and ND and a bit of Duke just as the B1G has weight in the NY market because of Rutgers, Penn St. and a lot of other alumni. Should ND shift to the B1G, they only move that the ACC could make to retain a strong presence in NY is to get the only viable free agent - UConn. Without UConn, Syracuse and the ACC would be on an island, a fast sinking island surrounding by B1G schools, even more if UConn joined the XII or worse, the B1G.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Did not think of the potential NBC link should they bid on B1G and combine their B1G contract with their ND contract. Not sure if it works contract wise; but, it makes sense logistically.

Should there be any fire behind this smoke of ND moving the the B1g for all of their sports, the ACC should be very worried, especially in NY, and that should be a good thing for UConn. No one school controls the NY market. The ACC has weight in NYC because of both Syracuse and ND and a bit of Duke just as the B1G has weight in the NY market because of Rutgers, Penn St. and a lot of other alumni. Should ND shift to the B1G, they only move that the ACC could make to retain a strong presence in NY is to get the only viable free agent - UConn. Without UConn, Syracuse and the ACC would be on an island, a fast sinking island surrounding by B1G schools, even more if UConn joined the XII or worse, the B1G.
Yup. Notre Dame jumping to the B1G is easily the best possible first move from our perspective.

Reaction Score
Many moving parts here, but NBC is serious about bidding on all or a portion of the B1G's 1st tier rights. They would have no problem integrating ND into a Big Ten television package.

I didn't see that coming. When Delany spoke of having the same network on both sides of the equation I didn't pick up on the possibility that Notre Dame Football could be the primary player there.

Reaction Score

I didn't see that coming. When Delany spoke of having the same network on both sides of the equation I didn't pick up on the possibility that Notre Dame Football could be the primary player there.

Wasn't there a clause in the ND/ACC agreement that stated if ND were to join a conference for football in the next x number of years that it had to be the ACC? I guess any agreement can be broken, but I remember hearing something along these lines.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
NBC historically does not overpay. I'll believe they are in on the Big Ten contract when it is signed.

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a clause in the ND/ACC agreement that stated if ND were to join a conference for football in the next x number of years that it had to be the ACC? I guess any agreement can be broken, but I remember hearing something along these lines.

Yes, that contract mandates the ACC for football if ND joined any conference for same and runs to 2027.

Then, there is the ACC GOR...

Then, there is the ACC exit fee...

Then, there is the fact that ND wants to keep its football independent.

This seems just a lot of "The Big Ten will take over the world" talk from Big Ten fans, despite the hockey move.

Over on the NC State board last year or so, there was s lot of "NBC is a major player in the ACC Network and it will bring ND football into the ACC" talk, too.

The Wolfpack guy was supposed to be a big insider with lots of contacts and info, don't you know?

Whatever happened to all that Intenet talk......????

Reaction Score
Yes, that contract mandates the ACC for football if ND joined any conference for same and runs to 2027.

Then, there is the ACC GOR...

oops... It was former Michigan AD Hackett's comments I was thinking of, not Delany.
Hackett anticipates ‘cool surprises’ for UM schedule

Then, on the GoR thing...

If NBC gets Big Ten content by either buying a chunk of it, or via the game bid process Hackett spoke of, that makes it a lot easier for Notre Dame and Michigan to get back together. Deals can then be made in the nearer future without competing rights holders blocking the way.

So, then, carry that forward to the Big Ten. Interesting thoughts there. If the lack of an ACC Network really is all it's being made up to me, ND just might be looking for a conference with a network...

If the Big Ten really is going to add 4 or 6, what the heck, add ND too and let them do their own football dance. With so much dust in the air, Delany might just be able to add an ND sans football without a revolt. And in the future 75% of ND's desired schedule could be where?... That's right, in the Big Ten.

If NBC is happy, does it really matter if the ACC is happy?

If Notre Dame withdraws its Olympic Sports from the ACC, does the agreement to place football there really matter?

Does an ACC exit fee really matter to Notre Dame. I think not.

Oh this is fun...

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Third graders can do math that can show it's impossible to add more than 2 teams to the Big 10.

pj

Reaction Score
Third graders can do math that can show it's impossible to add more than 2 teams to the Big 10.

What math is that? 14+3=infinity?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What math is that? 14+3=infinity?

If you've got a league where the teams are getting say $35 million from their television contacts - teams 15 and 16 need to bring a marginal $100 million just to keep everyone whole.

And why would you share your BTN ownership with schools that don't make you richer?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Obviously, since then it would be more than 10 teams....hey, wait a minute...

Reaction Score
News and Notes from Around the Big 12

Expansion will be discussed this summer and the current scorecard shows a vastly divided conference in regards to how it should be handled. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and West Virginia want expansion and a conference network. Iowa State wants expansion with G5 candidates and an eight game conference schedule to reduce the strain of the round robin schedule, but has no interest in giving up Cyclone.tv. Kansas isn’t sold on a conference network, but wants to expand. However, it is really only interested in basketball schools who wear blue and win lots of titles. Kansas State is open to listening to all ideas. The Longhorns are not happy about being played as the LHN villain again so quickly after settling the issue and that is starting to create a wedge between the new administration and Oklahoma. Texas is not against expansion, but it wants to position the Big 12 to be ready for high end targets in five years, when GoR’s are cheaper to buyout. As one person stated, “They’d consider giving up LHN for someone like FSU or LSU, but not for someone like BYU or Memphis”. The other three Texas schools are bound pretty tightly to the Longhorns, but have little or no interest in expansion, which would reduce the amount of games they play locally as it has been made clear by the rest of the conference that recreating a Southern division of Texas schools is a deal breaker if the Big 12 goes back to twelve or more. At this point, no one is set to get everything they claim to want, so the question becomes where the common ground and compromises can be found. It should be an interesting few months

Reaction Score
They're doomed.

Only way to be effective at the expansion game is to be stealthy about it. This won't get it done:
298443_ELB4QpmS4jxZ_FewnW1QmQ5HM[1].jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
News and Notes from Around the Big 12

Expansion will be discussed this summer and the current scorecard shows a vastly divided conference in regards to how it should be handled. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and West Virginia want expansion and a conference network. Iowa State wants expansion with G5 candidates and an eight game conference schedule to reduce the strain of the round robin schedule, but has no interest in giving up Cyclone.tv. Kansas isn’t sold on a conference network, but wants to expand. However, it is really only interested in basketball schools who wear blue and win lots of titles. Kansas State is open to listening to all ideas. The Longhorns are not happy about being played as the LHN villain again so quickly after settling the issue and that is starting to create a wedge between the new administration and Oklahoma. Texas is not against expansion, but it wants to position the Big 12 to be ready for high end targets in five years, when GoR’s are cheaper to buyout. As one person stated, “They’d consider giving up LHN for someone like FSU or LSU, but not for someone like BYU or Memphis”. The other three Texas schools are bound pretty tightly to the Longhorns, but have little or no interest in expansion, which would reduce the amount of games they play locally as it has been made clear by the rest of the conference that recreating a Southern division of Texas schools is a deal breaker if the Big 12 goes back to twelve or more. At this point, no one is set to get everything they claim to want, so the question becomes where the common ground and compromises can be found. It should be an interesting few months

In my unprofessional opinion, this makes sense. It feels right. I think they expand this summer and UConn is in.

The idea that NBC is going to go all in on the B1G, that doesn't feel right. I'm not buying it. I do think that Buffalo Lion is right that UConn's particular value to the B1G is high, because we may have the best BTN content of anyone, including every school already in the B1G. But I don't buy the ACC implosion at this juncture. There are too many roadblocks.

Reaction Score
In my unprofessional opinion, this makes sense. It feels right. I think they expand this summer and UConn is in.

To clarify when you say "they" expand this summer, you're referring to the Big 12 or B1G?

Reaction Score
Big XII

Thanks. That's what I thought, was just confused over the rest of the B1G language.

I think you're reading that pretty right, but time will tell.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
They're doomed.

Only way to be effective at the expansion game is to be stealthy about it. This won't get it done:
View attachment 13095
The best way to be stealthy is to do everything out in the open. It's the double-reverse mind***k fake-out!

Reaction Score
I'm not sure The Big 12 is capable of agreeing on anything. Way too many differing opinions about how things should be done, with one school who feels like their opinion is more valuable than the other 9 combined. They lack strong centralized leadership like The B1G has with Delany. Someone who can get everyone on the same page and able to see the bigger picture.

I will be shocked if they actually do anything more than adding a nonsensical championship game to their 10 team conference. JMO but the best move they could make short of FSU and Clemson magically asking to join is to add UCONN and Cincy as all sports members, and Boise St and BYU as Football only members for extra juice. Split the teams and play one protected cross over.

Bevo Division
UT, TT, BU, WVU, KSU, BYU, ISU

Boomer Division
OU, OSU, TCU, Cincy, KU, BSU, UCONN

pj

Reaction Score
If MH ver3's referencing "towing the company line" and not toeing the company line, is he trawling, trolling, both, other TBD?

Maybe Gee moonlights for a towing company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom