Non-Key Discussion | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What does UT really lose?

If the goal is to keep the B12 together than you're right, they will likely lose. But, that doesn't appear to be their incentive in all of this.

UT appears to only be concerned with their revenues and the fact that they will have a significant revenue advantage over their B12 rivals (i.e. Oklahoma) for as long as the B12 lasts. UT is certain that if/when the B12 blows up they will probably have a choice of new conference homes. They may even be able to make a deal with the ACC to join the conference and keep the LHN.

While folks outside of Austin all say how shortsighted UT is being, in reality, they are the only ones who truly control their own destiny.

Texas could lose its rivalry with Oklahoma.

Texas lost its rivalries with Arkansas in '91 and A&M in '12 but that tolerable was because neither of them was ever consistently competitive or interesting enough to fuel much passion.

Oklahoma is Texas' arch-nemesis, and as such, it plays a part in Texas' own identity.

Imagine the Red Sox without the Yankees, God without Satan, Good without Evil, Yin without Yang.

What's the point of competition without a hated albeit begrudgingly respected 100 year rival?

If Texas loses its rivalry with Oklahoma, the passion that is normally directed towards Oklahoma will be directed at the president, chancellor and athletic director who let it happen.

Texas could also lose its smaller rivalries with Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech and its budding rivalries against Kansas, K State, Oklahoma St, Iowa St and West Virginia.

Texas could lose the luxury of playing rivals in their own region,climate and time zone.

Waco and Lubbock may be hell holes, but does Texas really want to get in a position of having to fly its golf team and softball team to places like Pullman, Washington?

After refusing to make concession regarding the Longhorn Network to save the Big 12, will Texas really want to have to scrap the LHN to join another conference?

Or does Texas really imagine they can make it as an independent? I can see them cobbling together a football schedule but good luck with the non-revenue sports. What will we do with them? Join the Sun Belt conference? {sarcasm} Yeah, that's a big improvement {sarcasm}.

Some Texas fans are sycophants who will see the administration's point of view and echo the company line until hell freezes over.

But if Texas is really putting its current revenue streams ahead of the long term consequences, then Texas is playing a very shortsighted game and I find it hard to believe they can be so foolish.

Reaction Score
It may be smart for the NCAA to gather to discuss big power conferences for the revenue sports, and regional conferences for the non-revenue sports.

Football & Basketball stay in current national power conferences, women's bball too. Other sports stay in regional conferences. Soccer & Baseball are perhaps the only two sports that might want to go national. Hockey is already regional.

Reaction Score

Ernie has issue...http://www.inquisitr.com/3054386/emilia-clarke-reveals-her-hopes-for-character-on-game-of-thrones/
41584cf6afd7e497261ceba21763dfc0

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 4h4 hours ago

@Martina My wife is having a hard time with her derby team. She agitates for better training & practices.

ME: Maybe she'll have better luck in the Preakness...

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, they were, which surprised me. The new regime had been pretty quiet and I was hopeful they were much smarter and more agreeable than their brash predecessors, but maybe it's just more of the same detrimental hubris.

At this particular time, I suppose they can sit on their cherished LHN, refuse to make concessions and let the Big 12 crumble all around them. But that's extremely shortsighted, and as such it's a stubborn gamble they will ultimately lose.

Very disappointing.

I doubt very much Texas is gambling. They have options lined up. Very likely the B1G is available if they leave ESPN and if they stay with ESPN, football independence / all-sports union with the ACC and keeping the LHN but with more content drawn from what was the B12's T1 and T2 to make it profitable. Both options are superior to anything the B12 can offer.

Reaction Score
NCAA / Realignment Discussion (Part V)

If you are looking for the blockbuster to the B1G , this is it:

ND, UT, OU, UVA, GT, FSU

Who may be out: UNC, KU

UT wants OU for several obvious reasons, tradition, rivalry, big time, & UT not left on a geographic island.

UNC has serious NCAA allegations right now........and B1G desires the other schools to go to 20.

KU is just not a football factor and not a populous state even though a very good AAU school.

ME: something tells me that when things finally get moving it won't be nearly as fantastical as these bucknuts think would happen. And why the diss on the Jayhawks when they're the school most like them? :D

Reaction Score
NCAA / Realignment Discussion (Part V)

As posted many times, decisions are in-process being made by several universities -

change conferences or stay where you are........

Different scenarios.....another scenario such as:

OU & OSU to SEC

UT & TTech to PAC12

KU, ND, UVA, UNC, GT & FSU to B1G

ME: A little more closer to realism in that the surviving P3 get some value out of the rest instead of one conference hogging all the brands. Still, very fantastical.

Reaction Score
Based on what he has posted at that board so far, seared sounds like another pseudo-insider to me:

CR Part ))XII((: Conference Hospice & Realignment Speculation - Page 52

Until the formation of Pod's are established

Big Ten East

Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Indiana
Maryland
Rutgers
Purdue
Illinois

Big Ten West

Texas
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Kansas
Missouri
Northwestern

Six of the top ten schools in the nation for the most wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom