Newman or Adams? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Newman or Adams?

Who?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How do you know Adams will be here for 3 years?

Exactly.. people kill me trying to say how many years somebody is gonna be in college.. nobody has any idea.. the Harrisons, Cauley-Stein, Dakari Johnson.. where are they projected to go in the draft next month?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Adams all day everyday twice on sunday. I don't want the kid with a branding manager and his own logo.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Adams all day everyday twice on sunday. I don't want the kid with a branding manager and his own logo.
WHAT IS SO BAD ABOUT A KID PREPARING FOR HIS FUTURE NOW. If anything that shows huge maturity. Lebron did the same thing and you never here him in the news for causing any trouble. So tell me what the problem is with this again?

Reaction Score
WHAT IS SO BAD ABOUT A KID PREPARING FOR HIS FUTURE NOW. If anything that shows huge maturity. Lebron did the same thing and you never here him in the news for causing any trouble. So tell me what the problem is with this again?

Lebron came up with his own logo while he was still a junior in HS? I don't recall LBJ having a brand or a logo until he signed with Nike. I get things are a bit advanced in 2014 with social media and athletes becoming aware of their brand but all of this while in HS is a bit much. I guess if he lives up the hype he's ahead of the curve but then again Harrison Barnes tried the same thing with his whole Black Falcon schtick and we see where that is now that he's a dime a dozen, generic wing player. I'd take Newman in a minute but he reminds me of a Willie Warren type, not even as good as DeJuan Wagner and I don't think Wagner was going to live up the hype before his colon issues. We'll see where Newman's "brand" is in a few years if he's not an NBA star, which I don't expect him to be.

Reaction Score

This kid's not in the same stratosphere as LeBron James. If Lebron had been forced to spend a year in college it doesn't matter if he brings an entourage of 20 with him, has his own PR rep living in his dorm, and wants to have his mom sitting on the bench, it's worth the distraction to have maybe the best prospect in the history of the sport on your team.

Newman is not that guy.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Lebron came up with his own logo while he was still a junior in HS? I don't recall LBJ having a brand or a logo until he signed with Nike. I get things are a bit advanced in 2014 with social media and athletes becoming aware of their brand but all of this while in HS is a bit much. I guess if he lives up the hype he's ahead of the curve but then again Harrison Barnes tried the same thing with his whole Black Falcon schtick and we see where that is now that he's a dime a dozen, generic wing player. I'd take Newman in a minute but he reminds me of a Willie Warren type, not even as good as DeJuan Wagner and I don't think Wagner was going to live up the hype before his colon issues. We'll see where Newman's "brand" is in a few years if he's not an NBA star, which I don't expect him to be.
A brand isn't about how good the player will be. It's about making yourself marketable for potential sponsors by creating an image of a presentable, smart young man with a great head on their shoulders that you can market to the community as a role model and make money off of. So even though Harrison is another generic wing I'm sure he's making more money from outside sponsors because of his great brand.

Also Willie Warren? Come on. We're talking about the #1 player in the country here whose playing guard. Guards are a lot easier to rate than bigs because bigs often get rated off of potential (Like Andre) while guards get rated off of how good they are then.

I'm also sure Ollie would help his brand seeing as Ollie is very easy to market himself and can help him improve his brand by being a mentor to him like he was to KD and Lebron to teach them work ethic and teach them good morals. So I'm sure Ollie would not have a problem with it. Especially when the NCAA is already pimping these kids as it is.

Reaction Score
A brand isn't about how good the player will be. It's about making yourself marketable for potential sponsors by creating an image of a presentable, smart young man with a great head on their shoulders that you can market to the community as a role model and make money off of. So even though Harrison is another generic wing I'm sure he's making more money from outside sponsors because of his great brand.

Also Willie Warren? Come on. We're talking about the #1 player in the country here whose playing guard. Guards are a lot easier to rate than bigs because bigs often get rated off of potential (Like Andre) while guards get rated off of how good they are then.

I'm also sure Ollie would help his brand seeing as Ollie is very easy to market himself and can help him improve his brand by being a mentor to him like he was to KD and Lebron to teach them work ethic and teach them good morals. So I'm sure Ollie would not have a problem with it. Especially when the NCAA is already pimping these kids as it is.

Lol, I know what a brand is, my point is a brand ain't much if you ain't a star. You can be a good kid, role model, etc without a logo, self annointed nickname, and/or a website documenting your "journey" through HS, because at the end of a day whoever is signing you to endorsement contracts and how hard they push your image 0nly care about how good you are. Harrison Barnes said he went back to UNC for his soph year to further advance his brand, came up with that Black Falcon logo and nickname, and at the end of the day he's just another guy at Adidas with no brand to speak of because he's type regular.

Also not sure if you were aware of Willie Warren but he was a 6'3" combo guard who was a consensus 5 star recruit who's RSCI ranking was #14, dude was considered a stud and he's a cautionary tale of not coming out of college when your stock is high because it cost him when he didn't coming out after his freshman year at Oklahoma. I'm not saying Newman will be an overseas player, but there are countless tales of guys like him, combo guard, average height/length combined with very good to great athleticism, who didn't become NBA stars. Newman may be #1(for now) but there are much better NBA prospects in this overall weak HS class.

Reaction Score
Escalators have brands (i.e. Otis and ThyssenKrupp).

Toes do not.

Ohhhh nvm. I can't post thing pic from my phone. Look up GoldToe socks. Its a toe brand.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Lol, I know what a brand is, my point is a brand ain't much if you ain't a star. You can be a good kid, role model, etc without a logo, self annointed nickname, and/or a website documenting your "journey" through HS, because at the end of a day whoever is signing you to endorsement contracts and how hard they push your image 0nly care about how good you are. Harrison Barnes said he went back to UNC for his soph year to further advance his brand, came up with that Black Falcon logo and nickname, and at the end of the day he's just another guy at Adidas with no brand to speak of because he's type regular.

Also not sure if you were aware of Willie Warren but he was a 6'3" combo guard who was a consensus 5 star recruit who's RSCI ranking was #14, dude was considered a stud and he's a cautionary tale of not coming out of college when your stock is high because it cost him when he didn't coming out after his freshman year at Oklahoma. I'm not saying Newman will be an overseas player, but there are countless tales of guys like him, combo guard, average height/length combined with very good to great athleticism, who didn't become NBA stars. Newman may be #1(for now) but there are much better NBA prospects in this overall weak HS class.
There's a lot more to business ventures besides shoe deals. There's also a big difference between a guy who is the #1 recruit and #14. I don't know a #1 recruit who isn't in the NBA or wasn't a lottery pick.

Malik is 6'5 (good shooting guard height especially as a junior in HS) with great handle, good athleticism and can get his shot off whenever. I'm pretty sure he will stay at if not close to the top. Usually if you have a brand you are serious about your sport too. Otherwise you wouldn't even think of the brand part. I'm sure his work ethic is amazing to make sure he succeeds. Harrison Barnes is a highly intellectual person who was a pretty good college player. Is there many here who would've had a problem with him representing our program?

Reaction Score

I agree. I don't understand why anyone would hate on a 16 year old kid for trying to create his own brand / image.

His ultimate goal is to play in the NBA. If you look back at the players ranked number 1 in their high school class just about all of them played in the NBA. This doesn't guarantee he'll be a star or even make it, but why not start preparing a personal brand now? There is no harm in it.

Reaction Score
There's a lot more to business ventures besides shoe deals. There's also a big difference between a guy who is the #1 recruit and #14. I don't know a #1 recruit who isn't in the NBA or wasn't a lottery pick.

Malik is 6'5 (good shooting guard height especially as a junior in HS) with great handle, good athleticism and can get his shot off whenever. I'm pretty sure he will stay at if not close to the top. Usually if you have a brand you are serious about your sport too. Otherwise you wouldn't even think of the brand part. I'm sure his work ethic is amazing to make sure he succeeds. Harrison Barnes is a highly intellectual person who was a pretty good college player. Is there many here who would've had a problem with him representing our program?

Malik Newman is not 6'5", he shared the same backcourt with Mudiay on the AAU circuit and was not as big as him, he's about 6'3". There are better NBA prospects in this class and that will be proven over the next 5 years.

Reaction Score
Malik Newman is not 6'5", he shared the same backcourt with Mudiay on the AAU circuit and was not as big as him, he's about 6'3". There are better NBA prospects in this class and that will be proven over the next 5 years.

Everyone has different opinions on prospects, but the scouts who actually rank the prospects have him listed as the number 1 overall prospect. I hope our recruits don't read the boneyard. Imagine being a kid excited about picking a college and then going to the University's fan site and reading the fans hating on you for creating a personal brand and claim there are better prospects in the class. Would you want to go to that school?

Reaction Score
Everyone has different opinions on prospects, but the scouts who actually rank the prospects have him listed as the number 1 overall prospect. I hope our recruits don't read the boneyard. Imagine being a kid excited about picking a college and then going to the University's fan site and reading the fans hating on you for creating a personal brand and claim there are better prospects in the class. Would you want to go to that school?

I'm referring to better NBA prospects, meaning longterm and guys who have a chance to NBA All Stars, the guys who do HS rankings factor a number of things including current HS/amatuer productivity and longterm potential, but I'm only looking at the latter. Newman is good but I don't view him as a surefire NBA star, not sure what kind of message board this is supposed to be if that kind of opinon can't be expressed, I didn't say he sucks or anything like that, nor did I "hate" on him for creating a brand. I'm just pointing out that its a bit different for a HS kid, who imo isn't a surefire NBA star, to be creating a brand at this stage of his basketball career. If you're all giddy about it then you're more than welcome to feel that way.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That was a year ago as a sophomore. People grow. He also has two more years to grow. He has amazing nba skills. If he gets the size he can definitely be an all star. Especially if he comes and plays for Ollie.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm referring to better NBA prospects, meaning longterm and guys who have a chance to NBA All Stars, the guys who do HS rankings factor a number of things including current HS/amatuer productivity and longterm potential, but I'm only looking at the latter. Newman is good but I don't view him as a surefire NBA star, not sure what kind of message board this is supposed to be if that kind of opinon can't be expressed, I didn't say he sucks or anything like that, nor did I "hate" on him for creating a brand. I'm just pointing out that its a bit different for a HS kid, who imo isn't a surefire NBA star, to be creating a brand at this stage of his basketball career. If you're all giddy about it then you're more than welcome to feel that way.
Yes I'm giddy about the opportunity to land a #1 player who understands how to brand himself and can pass that knowledge on to his teammates or future uconn players after his time playing here. Branding yourself in no way shape or form is a bad thing. It shows maturity, someone who is smart enough to do it in the first place, and a kid who understands any decision he makes is important so it would be less likely that he has off the court issues. Not someone with a big head.

Reaction Score

A few things:

- Scouting services are ranking who the best prospect is. If he is ranked number 1 he is considered the best prospect in his class.
- No one can forecast at this point whether or not he is going to be an NBA All Star. To say he will or will not be in the future is just pointless speculation.
- Of course you are free to post your own opinion. My point is recruits and their families do come to the boneyard (I know Lubin's mom was here) so it's probably not the best to hate on our potential recruits.
- I wasn't specific on who was hating on Newman, but there were a few posters who said they didn't want Newman at UConn because of the fact he was building his own logo. UCannUConn wrote, "Adams all day everyday twice on sunday. I don't want the kid with a branding manager and his own logo."

To say you don't want a kid, who is the number 1 ranked recruit at UConn is hating and if potential recruits read that it could be harmful to recruiting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To say you don't want a kid, who is the number 1 ranked recruit at UConn is hating and if potential recruits read that it could be harmful to recruiting.

With all the garbage that people on here post about kids who are currently part of the basketball program you're going to get on people for saying they might prefer one high school kid to another? C'mon.

Reaction Score
With all the garbage that people on here post about kids who are currently part of the basketball program you're going to get on people for saying they might prefer one high school kid to another? C'mon.

There is a difference between preferring one recruit over another versus saying "I don't want the kid."

Reaction Score
A few things:

- Scouting services are ranking who the best prospect is. If he is ranked number 1 he is considered the best prospect in his class.
- No one can forecast at this point whether or not he is going to be an NBA All Star. To say he will or will not be in the future is just pointless speculation.
- Of course you are free to post your own opinion. My point is recruits and their families do come to the boneyard (I know Lubin's mom was here) so it's probably not the best to hate on our potential recruits.
- I wasn't specific on who was hating on Newman, but there were a few posters who said they didn't want Newman at UConn because of the fact he was building his own logo. UCannUConn wrote, "Adams all day everyday twice on sunday. I don't want the kid with a branding manager and his own logo."

At the same time, shouldn't we refrain from hating on our current commits? What's to stop Turtle or his parents from stumbling upon these threads calling him a dud?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
http://www.adidasuprising.com/mens-events/adidas-basketball-series-divisions/statistical-leaders/

Adams is top 5 in scoring and assists. Top 10 in steals. Even more impressive is his team is 9-0 when hes on the court 1-3 when he's not. He had to sit out the last tourney while he had finals. got to be top 30 when the new 247 rankings come out. Needs to be top top priority. Our pitch to him has to be listen we view turtle and prince as combo guards we need someone to run the show we view you as a true pg...
Side note (and I hope this isnt some recruiting violation) but hcko favorited his recent uprising mixtape on twitter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis