Newman or Adams?

Who?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Two guys who we'd love to be huskys. On one hand people on this board seem to love Adams, but newman is the composite number one recruit. You can't go wrong with either but who'd you rather have?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Either one would be great but if we get Newman we may also get Diamond Stone.
You would hope, but I'm doing this under the assumption this it has no affect on stone.

Reaction Score
Two guys who we'd love to be huskys. On one hand people on this board seem to love Adams, but newman is the composite number one recruit. You can't go wrong with either but who'd you rather have?

If Newman brings Stone, then Newman. On their own? Flip a coin and I'll take whoever is left

Reaction Score
Adams.

Even assuming we have a legit shot at Newman, which I kind of doubt, I'd rather have the kid who's going to stick around for a couple years. Also, this is me being a curmudgeon, and it might be completely unfair to the kid, but I'd rather go with the guy who doesn't have his own logo already. Especially if it's a one year rental.

http://iammaliknewman.com/

The kid can play though, no doubt.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the future of sports in the digital age. All about self branding. I'm an old guy to, but embrace it.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the future of sports in the digital age. All about self branding. I'm an old guy to, but embrace it.

LeBron can have a brand. Hell, Malik Newman can too. But I'm not into it.

The whole idea of individuals having a "brand" is ridiculous, although I get the commercial aspect of it. It's basically the creation of an artificial public persona.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
LeBron can have a brand. Hell, Malik Newman can too. But I'm not into it.

The whole idea of individuals having a "brand" is ridiculous, although I get the commercial aspect of it. It's basically the creation of an artificial public persona.

It's not even about having a brand these days...it's being a brand.

Reaction Score

It didn't just start in the digital age.. this has been around nearly 30 years and pretty much EVERYBODY knows what it is...

Attachments

• jordanlogo.jpg
    jordanlogo.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 11
Reaction Score
That's what I meant. I just have a problem with this idea that protecting your "brand" basically means projecting an absolutely inauthentic and completely constructed version of yourself for the sake of commerce. I guess it's my beef with reality TV too. Probably fair afield for a Newman v. Adams thread.

Reaction Score
Wow!

13-2 in favor of Adams? Newman is the ranked #1 overall in 2015.

I understand people don't like one and done players but you have to take the #1 overall guy every time. It's not a lock he is one and done (albeit likely).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Wow!

I understand people don't like one and done players but you have to take the #1 overall guy every time. It's not a lock he is one and done (albeit likely).

Obviously I'll take either (or Briscoe or Battle or whatever stud wants to play at UCONN), but the things I like about Adams are that he comes from New England (Bazz's hometown no less), and I'd like to keep the good ones at home. It's good practice. The thought of a NE kid picking Kansas over UCONN sticks in my craw.

He's got a game well suited to UCONN. I love his attitude. And he's entertaining to watch. Hard to find anything not to like.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It didn't just start in the digital age.. this has been around nearly 30 years and pretty much EVERYBODY knows what it is...

Good point and very true. I'd counter with the thought that it is much more prevalent now with the growth in advertising/marketing/PR/and various media 'channels'.

Reaction Score
Wow!

I think the voting is probably based on what voters feel is more realistic. I'm sure everyone would take Newman, but we need to see us break through that UK/KU wall before we think it actually happens. I know that's not what the poll is actually asking, but I'm guess that is how people are voting.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score

Sorry, but it amazes me that UConn fans regularly say Huskys versus Huskies. Doesn't seem like a mistake a Husky fan should make, yet I still see it from time to time on this board. Ok, off my soap box. Carry on...

Reaction Score
Obviously I'll take either (or Briscoe or Battle or whatever stud wants to play at UCONN), but the things I like about Adams are that he comes from New England (Bazz's hometown no less), and I'd like to keep the good ones at home. It's good practice. The thought of a NE kid picking Kansas over UCONN sticks in my craw.

He's got a game well suited to UCONN. I love his attitude. And he's entertaining to watch. Hard to find anything not to like.

Fair enough. Of course being #1 overall doesn't mean Newman will be better than Adams, but here's a list of the #1 recruits since 2000. There is some serious talent there. If you have a chance for the #1 guy you have to take him in my opinion.

2013 Andrew Wiggins
2012 Nerlens Noel
2011 Anthony Davis
2010 Harrison Barnes
2009 John Wall
2008 Brandon Jennings
2007 O.J. Mayo
2006 Greg Oden
2005 Josh McRoberts
2004 Dwight Howard
2003 Lebron James
2002 Amare Stoudamire
2001 Eddy Curry
2000 Zach Randolph

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Of course being #1 overall doesn't mean Newman will be better than Adams, but here's a list of the #1 recruits since 2000. There is some serious talent there. If you have a chance for the #1 guy you have to take him in my opinion.

2013 Andrew Wiggins
2012 Nerlens Noel
2011 Anthony Davis
2010 Harrison Barnes
2009 John Wall
2008 Brandon Jennings
2007 O.J. Mayo
2006 Greg Oden
2005 Josh McRoberts
2004 Dwight Howard
2003 Lebron James
2002 Amare Stoudamire
2001 Eddy Curry
2000 Zach Randolph
Only one guy on that list won a NCAA Championship.

Reaction Score
Only one guy on that list won a NCAA Championship.

I understand your point, but personally I'd be very happy taking my chances with a #1 overall recruit and seeing what happens. Also, the first 5 were NBA guys. Carmelo was #2 overall, essentially the best in his class that went to college and he won. I would be happy to have Adams at UConn as he looks like a very good player. But if you have the chance to bring in the #1 overall you have to do it.

Reaction Score
I understand your point, but personally I'd be very happy taking my chances with a #1 overall recruit and seeing what happens. Also, the first 5 were NBA guys. Carmelo was #2 overall, essentially the best in his class that went to college and he won. I would be happy to have Adams at UConn as he looks like a very good player. But if you have the chance to bring in the #1 overall you have to do it.
I'm aware of the NBA guys on the list but you're wrong about Zach Randolph, he went to MSU. I would prefer Adams to Newman, I'm not obsessed with rankings just obsessed with winning and that's why I want Adams.

Reaction Score
I'm aware of the NBA guys on the list but you're wrong about Zach Randolph, he went to MSU. I would prefer Adams to Newman, I'm not obsessed with rankings just obsessed with winning and that's why I want Adams.

I guess what I don't understand is why you equate Adams with winning but not Newman. I agree that in some cases you are better off with 3 or 4 year guys versus one and dones. With that said (and I've posted this before) the youngest team in the NCAA tournament has made the final four every year since 2011, and won the title twice. Young / very talented players can also win titles.

Reaction Score
I picked Jalen Adams because it must be a sign from the basketball gods that another Roxbury PG is available after the Roxbury PG who just led UConn to its fourth national championship and his second graduated.

Reaction Score
I guess what I don't understand is why you equate Adams with winning but not Newman. I agree that in some cases you are better off with 3 or 4 year guys versus one and dones. With that said (and I've posted this before) the youngest team in the NCAA tournament has made the final four every year since 2011, and won the title twice. Young / very talented players can also win titles.
Because I think Jalen Adams is a winner, sometimes you can just tell when players have "it" and Adams has "it". I would take either one who commits first but my preference is Adams. Getting the #1 recruit sends a message to future recruits but I don't necessarily see Newman being a better player and it hardly means we have a better chance winning a title with Newman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom