Newman or Adams?

Who?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Repeat. Did you take in a Washington Wizard game this year? See the guy playing along side Wall? If Beale stays three years like Kemba or four years like Shabazz, we do not beat Florida.

Yeah, and we might have won another 3 Championships if we kept our guys. We would have had Drummond and Lamb too. That and a couple of bucks gets you a cup of coffee.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
So Florida didn't beat us because they are a one-and done program?
I thought Arizona was by far the toughest challenge. And it was a toss up between UK and SDSU.

Agreed. Memory ain't as good as it was for the Dream Season!

Reaction Score
Newman.

You take the higher-rated guy. Over the long run, and on average, they turn out to be better players than lower-rated guys.

Reaction Score
Newman.

You take the higher-rated guy. Over the long run, and on average, they turn out to be better players than lower-rated guys.

For some programs yes but if you took Brandon Knight over Shabazz Napier you lost!! So for UConn it's Adams…….not saying you're wrong just thinking I'm right!;)

Reaction Score
This is pretty much it. Most teams don't function on an exclusive one and done basis. And we beat them anyway.[/quot
Kind of at odds with your post in another thread, but OK. You said Shabazz would get eaten up by Magic Johnson (which is obvious), who isn't just First Ballot, but challenges for GOAT. Top 5 guy.

So we include GOATs but not regular first ballot Hall of Famers? How about second ballot guys? I'm confused here.

You can throw Unibrow into the conversation. Another who is so good that he will be in Hall of Fame if not hurt.

Reaction Score
And how about Drummond? You can't say "What if so and so was playing?" and then not mention guys who'd still be at UConn. I'm not sure why that doesn't register with you.

Reaction Score
Nonsensical for an idiot. One and done means NBA player, One NBA player won't win a title. Five NBA players, even freshmen, and you have a shot. Kentucky is cycling five NBA players every year. The other teams aren't. What did Parker do for Duke? What is Ennis going to do for Syracuse this year. Both of those guys need to be replaced.

This makes absolutely no sense. Saying you can't win with a one and done is like saying you can't win with a freshman, and there is now over a decade of evidence proving otherwise.

You're trying to make a connection that isn't there. Of the last four teams to win titles, four of them have had freshman who played meaningful minutes. Whether or not those freshman decided to return or enter their name in the draft is independent of that fact. If Jeremy Lamb decides to enter the 2011 draft instead of returning for his sophomore season, does that suddenly prove your theory wrong? That would have made him a one and done, and we would have won the title with him.

Reaction Score
Barring the apocalypse, I think college basketball will exist long enough that you'll be able to build up a sufficiently large sample size.

Not sure what you're talking about. The point is that there is no "long run" with a kid like Newman, and for a "sample size" you only need to look at all those can't miss point guards that UConn whiffed on that didn't accomplish anything in their 9 months on a college campus.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Honestly, they are both talented enough. I base the decision on personaliy traits like strength of character, hard working, etc.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you're talking about. The point is that there is no "long run" with a kid like Newman, and for a "sample size" you only need to look at all those can't miss point guards that UConn whiffed on that didn't accomplish anything in their 9 months on a college campus.

I think we're talking about two different things. You're talking about Newman possibly being a 1-and-done. My point is the following:

If you take top-10 kids every year, over the long run your program will be more successful than if you take kids ranked 50-100 every year. Some of those 50-100 kids will turn out to be better than some of the top-10 kids, but on average, the higher ranked ones will be better.

Of course, that argument doesn't have anything to say about 1-and-done vs. a 3-year player.

Reaction Score
Florida is classic example of one and done's hurting a program. Florida had four seniors like UConn but the could not hit an outside shot in the semi-final. Why? Florida had recruited the best outside shooter anyone has seen since Ray Allen and then he left after one year.
So, how does it hurt Florida. Billy D. wants another great shooter. They take a look at Beale and say no thanks. So for two years Billy D. has hard time bringing in a second shooter. No one wants to sit behind Beale for three years. Beale leaves. Billy D. find himself in an NCAA semi-final and has no dependable shooter, one he could have landed two years earlier if Beale had gone elsewhere. He has an inexperience freshmen going up against a couple ball hawks, Napier and Boat. .

ot

Reaction Score
Florida is classic example of one and done's hurting a program. Florida had four seniors like UConn but the could not hit an outside shot in the semi-final. Why? Florida had recruited the best outside shooter anyone has seen since Ray Allen and then he left after one year.
So, how does it hurt Florida. Billy D. wants another great shooter. They take a look at Beale and say no thanks. So for two years Billy D. has hard time bringing in a second shooter. No one wants to sit behind Beale for three years. Beale leaves. Billy D. find himself in an NCAA semi-final and has no dependable shooter, one he could have landed two years earlier if Beale had gone elsewhere. He has an inexperience freshmen going up against a couple ball hawks, Napier and Boat. .

ot
Who thought that Brad Beal was staying at Florida for 3 years?

Reaction Score
Obviously Adams is a stud and I'd me more than happy to see him in a Husky jersey, but Newman is the consensus #1 2015 recruit (as long a Thon Maker doesn't reclassify). If the #1 overall recruit wants to come to UConn, you don't turn him down....especially if there is even the slimmest chance he could bring another consensus top 10 recruit in Diamond Stone with him.

I think we are in a better spot with Stone (because of his friendship with Nolan) than we are with Newman, but they both clearly are keeping UConn in mind, which is all we can ask for right now. The staff just needs to make sure UConn stays on their mind.

Also, as I said before I love Adams game and think he'd be a great fit but others can't let his Roxbury connections be the factor in picking Adams over Newman.

Reaction Score
Newman.

I'd say you're right in general, but this program has proven to be different in that it has a track record of molding 2-3 year guys into stars.

Now, if the age limit is raised, that changes things.

Reaction Score
Obviously Adams is a stud and I'd me more than happy to see him in a Husky jersey, but Newman is the consensus #1 2015 recruit (as long a Thon Maker doesn't reclassify). If the #1 overall recruit wants to come to UConn, you don't turn him down....especially if there is even the slimmest chance he could bring another consensus top 10 recruit in Diamond Stone with him.

I think we are in a better spot with Stone (because of his friendship with Nolan) than we are with Newman, but they both clearly are keeping UConn in mind, which is all we can ask for right now. The staff just needs to make sure UConn stays on their mind.

Also, as I said before I love Adams game and think he'd be a great fit but others can't let his Roxbury connections be the factor in picking Adams over Newman.
Obviously you take Newman if he wants to come here but the question is who would you rather have. Personally I could care less where Adams is from and I'm guessing most others who prefer Adams feel the same. There are a ton of great players in New England these days and more around the whole country, UConn is one of the top schools in the country and if they prefer a kid from Iceland to a kid from New Haven than that is just fine with me.

Reaction Score
I'll take any one of Adams, Newman, Brunson, Briscoe, Trier at guard. First come first serve. They all seem like terrific players and we would be happy/lucky to have any of them. Let the chips fall where they may. Hopefully KO can snag us one.

Reaction Score
Obviously you take Newman if he wants to come here but the question is who would you rather have. Personally I could care less where Adams is from and I'm guessing most others who prefer Adams feel the same. There are a ton of great players in New England these days and more around the whole country, UConn is one of the top schools in the country and if they prefer a kid from Iceland to a kid from New Haven than that is just fine with me.

Not disagreeing with you, but it's nice to have a kid who drinks the same kool-aid that we do.....and that is more likely a New England kid. Prince appears to be like that too being an NY kid. Of course not nearly the hard fast rule to make a great player....but this kid has already been to our march madness.

Reaction Score
Newman. I like Adams but people here are falling too much in love with him simply because he's from New England.
I like the idea of going with the NE guy. You also have to keep in mind that there is some extra pressure on being the #1 recruit. Now Newman might be the type that wouldn't get mired in a slump and get weighed down by the expectations of being the top recruit. Often rival players from the same class will step it up against a top player wanting to prove they're every bit as good. Also there's a greater chance the #1 player will play selfishly, wanting to make that "I'm the best!" statement and not play as much as a team player than a lessor ranked but talented recruit.

Lastly, I don't want a player where I can't help myself from saying, "NEWMAN!" (from Seinfeld)

To all seriousness, I'd be fine with either player, but I like the idea of going with the NE kid, plus the odds of the #1 recruit being a 1-and-done compared to Adams is so much greater. I don't know where Adams ranking will land, though I suspect he's going to rise quite high when it's all said and done.

Reaction Score
I would be happy with either guy. With that being said we missed on Brandon Jennings and instead got Kemba Walker, that worked out pretty well. We also didn't get Brandon Knight, Josh Selby, or Corey Joseph. We got Shabazz, that also worked out nicely.

I trust KO is going to bring in the right guy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I think a lot of people do care. It's the idea that Kansas can come into your backyard and take away a kid whom you very much want. That's the important bit. If UCONN doesn't want them, fine, no worries.

It would be like if UK came and swooped Drummond from us (JA not extreme an example, but you get the idea). That would have stung.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Imagine having a recruiting class of Turtle, Ali, Newman, Stone, Adams, and Bragg. I can see Boatright, Purvis, and one of Hamilton or Calhoun going to the league to make that work. I honestly wouldn't count it out if we have another amazing season like we should. Recruits should be lining up to play for Ollie. There is not another coach in the country you could trust more. He treats kids the same respect whether they are the #1 recruit or 1,000. I don't think there is going to be many players in the country who won't want to play for him after he has a few years under his belt.

There's already not many guards who don't want to play for him. If Ryan and Boatright are 1st rounders after this year then I don't see how we aren't the prime school for guards to go to. The development of Facey and Brimah will see if we start peeking the interest of top big men or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom