New OC Frank Verducci | Page 7 | The Boneyard

New OC Frank Verducci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
:eek: Gulp!! Diaco hires the guy that recruited him out of....high school?

:confused: Got to feel for the O-line guys. How many coaches are they going to be "taught" by before they start pushing defenses around instead of vice versa? Foley-Deleone-Foley-Cummings-Verducci. I want to see Cummings and Verducci recruit some monsters over the next couple of years.

:( Wondering what the morale is on the coaching staff. 2-10 record, less than 5K fans at final home game. OC gets moved to O-line coaching, O-line coach brought in to teach running backs and run the OC duties? QB's coach now teaches TE's, WR's coach now teaches QB's? Running backs coach now teaches WR's and co-runs specials?

Maybe Diaco is doing pre-emptive damage control. If Cummings leaves he still has an O-line coach in house now that Foley is down the road. Some here say Verducci will help recruit Jersey but I thought that was already covered by Diaco himself and a couple others on the staff. Hopefully Verducci can tap into the Midwest a little although I know Diaco has made it perfectly clear what territories he wants to canvas.

Reaction Score
Frank Verducci Florida Hiring Bio 2011
As of 2011, Coaching Accomplishments:
  • "Owns 29 years of coaching experience at the collegiate and NFL levels to the offensive line coach position at Florida, having coached several Pro Bowlers and All-Americans throughout the course of his career.
  • In his first year of coaching the offensive line at Florida, helped the offense average 143.0 yards per game and 4.0 yards per carry.
  • etc. ... "
NJ Star Ledger article on Verducci's Florida hiring
"Verducci, who spent last season as a consultant to the St. Louis Rams, was the offensive line coach and running game coordinator at Notre Dame in 2009. Prior to that he spent eight seasons as an assistant in the NFL and was a college assistant for 19 years, with stops at Iowa, Northwestern, Northern Illinois, Maryland and Colorado State.

His father, the late Tony Verducci, was the former legendary football coach at Seton Hall Prep and his uncle, Frank Verducci, was the renowned head coach at Barringer High in Newark in the 1960s and 1970s

etc. ... "

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Frank Verducci, OL Coach, Montreal Alouettes Bio 2013

"A native of Glen Ridge, NJ, Frank Verducci coached eight seasons in the NFL with the Cleveland Browns (2007-08), Buffalo Bills (2004-05), Dallas Cowboys (2002) and the Cincinnati Bengals (1999-2001). Prior to moving to professional ranks, Verducci spent 19 seasons in collegiate football at the University of Iowa (1985-1986 and 1989-1998), Northwestern University (1987-1988), Northern Illinois (1984), Maryland (1981-83) and Colorado State (1980).
... etc."

During the 2013 CFL season, UCONN alumni, RB Larry Taylor and FB Martin Bedard, played for the Alouettes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Frank Verducci's composite coaching experience - source primarily Florida's official website 2011 hiring:

2014 Northern Iowa (TE/OL)
2013 Montreal Alouettes (OL)
2011 Florida Gators (OL)
2010 St. Louis Rams (Pro Personnel/Scout)
2009 Notre Dame (OL/Run Game Coordinator)
2007-08 Cleveland Browns (Offensive Assistant)
2005 Buffalo Bills (Offensive Line)
2004 Buffalo Bills (Tight Ends/Assistant Offensive Line)
2002 Dallas Cowboys (Offensive Line)
2001 Cincinnati Bengals (Tight Ends/Assistant Offensive Line)
1999-2000 Cincinnati Bengals (Tight Ends)
1995-98 Iowa (Offensive Line/Running Game Coordinator)
1992-94 Iowa (Offensive Line)
1989-91 Iowa (Assistant Offensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator)
1987-88 Northwestern (Wide Receivers)
1985-86 Iowa (Graduate Assistant)
1984 Northern Illinois (Running Backs/Strength & Conditioning)
1981-83 Maryland (Tight Ends)
1980 Colorado State (Graduate Assistant)
1980 Graduated Seton Hall (Pirates' program ended 1981)

Reaction Score
Iowa newspaper articles:

UNI football: Verducci leaves Panthers for UCONN, Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier, 2/9/15
"Frank Verducci, who spent one season as an assistant football coach at Northern Iowa, will leave the Panther staff to become the offensive coordinator at Connecticut, the Huskies' Athletic Communications Department announced Monday.
Verducci came to UNI in the spring of 2014. He worked with the tight ends and offensive tackles. ... etc.
..."

Frank Verducci: 'The ideal place to raise a family', Iowa City Press-Citizen & The Des Moines Register, 7/1/13

"Frank Verducci and his wife, Noel, had a difficult decision to make after Hayden Fry retired as the Iowa football coach in 1998. Frank was in his early 40s when he lost his coaching job under Fry and was eager to find another opportunity. But Frank also had two young children and providing them with a stable environment in which to grow up was a priority. So Frank and Noel decided they would stay in Iowa City no matter where his coaching career took him. Frank’s career has taken him all over the country since then ... etc. ..."

Reaction Score
?????

I don't have any interest in Hayden Fry. I wanted an OC with a proven track record of installing successful offenses and the running them. We didn't get that, but recruiting trumps that, and we got a guy that should be able to help out recruiting quite a bit. So I'm not that unhappy.

On offense, we need an offensive concept/philosophy approach to the game that it is complimentary to the defense, the kicking game and our natural geographic advantages. That means running the ball with effectiveness to set up the pass IMNSHO, and this guy appears to be a fit.

In reality, all I want to see is an offense that can execute with some speed, get play calls in and out and line up and play. Not trip over ourselves all over the place and repeatedly chop block and combo block illegally. Is that too much to ask?

The reality, is that if this team is going to turn around and be competitive in 2015, it's not offense or defense that will do it - it's the kicking game. The shuffling of the staff there, I hope works out, and I hope the seniors we do have coming back, embrace that, and turn the kicking units into a mistake free, disciplined unit.

The quickest and surest way to turn a losing program into a competitive and winnign program is special teams. We've reached that low. That's where it starts to build it back up. I hope Coach Booby realizes it.

Carl, you may not care about Hayden Fry but Bob Diaco and staff are disciples so one needs to understand Fry's basic philosophy in order to understand Diaco. In reality it's basic football. This press conference of an older Hayden Fry called "bitchy" where he doesn't hold back on reporters is both insightful and entertaining. If you don't have time to watch the whole 20 min, go to the 5:30 mark to hear about the O-line and running game. It's sounds like he's talking about UCONN. It clearly explains the Verducci hire. As a fan I want to see the ball flying too. First we need to establish the run. Glad that we have 4 good RBs in Johnson, Newsome, DeLorenzo, and Mariner.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carl, you may not care about Hayden Fry but Bob Diaco and staff are disciples so one needs to understand Fry's basic philosophy in order to understand Diaco. In reality it's basic football. This press conference of an older Hayden Fry called "bitchy" where he doesn't hold back on reporters is both insightful and entertaining. If you don't have time to watch the whole 20 min, go to the 5:30 mark to hear about the O-line and running game. It's sounds like he's talking about UCONN.

I watched the clip. The take home point for me, is that Coach Fry talks about improving as the season goes along and as young players get experience. That's absolutely necessary for success. What concerns me about young coach booby is that in his first season as a head coach, I am hard pressed to find a single unit on the field that progressed well during the course of the season and improved.

Caveat - I'm just a critic in the arena, I have no idea what may or may not be marked down as significant improvement during the course of the season away from the field, but I do know that the only wins that really count, come on game days in the fall, and there are only 12 of them per year.

THe one strength, that he's got so far, is his recruiting plan, and this new offensive coach hire - I'm having trouble actually labeling him and offensive coordinator after reviewing the guy's profile - but it goes to recruiting. It remains to be seen if the players he's bringing in can compete nad have team speed and will develop well, but at least we are hitting the areas we need to hit hard, and having success, and bringing in players that are attracting the type of competition that we should be at.

I cannot forget the performance of last season though, from both coaches and players, and how it reflects on planning and preparation. Until that changes, there is nothing to Diaco's program but fluff.

The next opportunity to get a win that counts, is coming up in about 200 days. THen they come quick in succession - 12 in a row. How we are planned and prepared, will reflect in how we perform. That's it. I expect much MUCH better performance in 2015 than we got in 2014. The transition from loser to winner starts with execution on special teams, kick and punt coverages and returns and field goals.

BUT - given the way that we progressed in 2014, and back to my original paragraph and topic of writing - developing during the course of the season? Makes me worried, because I didn't see that last season, and developing and progressing during the course of a season, is one of THE hallmark signs of a successful coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I watched the clip. The take home point for me, is that Coach Fry talks about improving as the season goes along and as young players get experience. That's absolutely necessary for success. What concerns me about young coach booby is that in his first season as a head coach, I am hard pressed to find a single unit on the field that progressed well during the course of the season and improved.

Caveat - I'm just a critic in the arena, I have no idea what may or may not be marked down as significant improvement during the course of the season away from the field, but I do know that the only wins that really count, come on game days in the fall, and there are only 12 of them per year.

THe one strength, that he's got so far, is his recruiting plan, and this new offensive coach hire - I'm having trouble actually labeling him and offensive coordinator after reviewing the guy's profile - but it goes to recruiting. It remains to be seen if the players he's bringing in can compete nad have team speed and will develop well, but at least we are hitting the areas we need to hit hard, and having success, and bringing in players that are attracting the type of competition that we should be at.

I cannot forget the performance of last season though, from both coaches and players, and how it reflects on planning and preparation. Until that changes, there is nothing to Diaco's program but fluff.

The next opportunity to get a win that counts, is coming up in about 200 days. THen they come quick in succession - 12 in a row. How we are planned and prepared, will reflect in how we perform. That's it. I expect much MUCH better performance in 2015 than we got in 2014.

BUT - given the way that we progressed in 2014, and back to my original paragraph and topic of writing - developing during the course of the season? Makes me worried, because I didn't see that last season, and developing and progressing during the course of a season, is one of THE hallmark signs of a successful coach.

I don't disagree with you on the improvement area. I was at the Army game and knowing they lost to Yale and the way we were eaten alive especially because it knocked us out of bowl eligibility really hurt. Getting thumped by lowly SMU further rocked my world. I saw some improvement in our Offensive line. Our young RB's gained valuable reps at the D-1 level. I am hoping for big things from Andreas Knappe and Richard Levy this fall. Hoping Cummings and Verducci can take them to the next level.

Reaction Score
The preparation and planning that went into that Army game, if we are to believe what actually was reported, is a microcosm of the first year head coach failures in game planning and practice preparation. It was touted in the media, that he directed several weeks of practice reps with a scout team to simulate Army's offense and prepare the defense for Army. You don't beat army that way - as a head coach. That's a defensive coordinator mind in control of a team. I harped on this a lot when it happened. You don't need to spend weeks preparing for the triple option. You assign 3 players in every defensive set a specific role, and then fit the scheme to that, and drill it, and you prepare your defensive players to get their hands down and legs high stepping to drive the blockers into the ground and get over them when they come at your legs, and you take your practice time to actually develop your offense. (which we did virtually nothing to do last season - given the rotations of players and using 3 QB's - there was no discernible offensive concepts or identity)

You beat army by preparing your offense to keep the ball and score points on their weak defense, and most of all you play solid special teams. Remember the trick play in kicking?

That game was an exposition of young coach Booby as a head coach. DIsicpline and preparation is always exposed when you play an academy. We get both Army and Navy in 2015. We'll see if we're prepared.

Reaction Score
Someone has to give him a chance. People want a guy with a proven track record etc. If he has/had a proven track record as an OC you think he would still be available to UConn? Absolutely not.

You don't think that someone who has been a successful OC at the FCS level would be available to UConn?

Reaction Score
I'm not happy with the hire, but hoping that I'm wrong. Does that make me "hopefully pessimistic"?

I guess I'm indifferent. It may work out and it may not. I don't like the fact that he has no experience running an offense as an OC. Underwhelmed I guess would describe my feelings?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He's not a troll. He unfortunately believes that nonsense that he posts.

He also thinks he's positive - but thinks so little of UConn that he thinks they have no ability to compete to hire assistant coaches.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with you on the improvement area. I was at the Army game and knowing they lost to Yale and the way we were eaten alive especially because it knocked us out of bowl eligibility really hurt. Getting thumped by lowly SMU further rocked my world. I saw some improvement in our Offensive line. Our young RB's gained valuable reps at the D-1 level. I am hoping for big things from Andreas Knappe and Richard Levy this fall. Hoping Cummings and Verducci can take them to the next level.
the biggest headscratcher for me (other than us hiring a guy that has little to no OC experience) is Verducci also coaching the RBs...

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
He isn't at all. He has said so and made comments using the same schools. As for running with the QB, we saw it with Whitmer and they even tried with Boyle.

He most certainly is -
Pudge Quote:
That's what is in Diaco's mind. And, if we had Kevin Hogan at QB, we probably would throw a good amount. We are going to RUN the ball with the QB - I think. Not sure how Boyle plays into that. But, the corresponding play, we are going to try to be far better at Defense. (whatever that will be) The AAC, far more than OUR BE peers, will be throwing the ball all over; particularly the Texas/Tulsa wing.

If he is basing that off of what Diaco said then thats foolish - Diaco said a bunch of sheet that none of us should believe...

Reaction Score
My last thoughts are simply that I would have preferred an OC with a track record of production and improvement at any level of CFB. I'm also troubled by the seminal nature of the relationship as his recruiter that led to the hire. It just seems HCBD feels a need to insulate himself with those who will replicate past experience. Would not seem to be a fertile environment for new ideas in a dynamic competitive environment.

Reaction Score
While I posted about the OC still available to UConn, if there are up and coming FCS OC's and such why aren't they getting selectedby the Tennessee's and other big programs of the world?

Because the big programs of the world have money and prestige to throw at FBS and NFL coaches, they don't have to bother with FCS OCs unless they want to. Look at what Oklahoma did for example. It wanted to get better throwing the ball so they hired Lincoln Riley from ECU for $500k a year, almost doubling his salary at ECU. Mike DeBord is probably going to get that much if not more to be the OC at Tennessee.

Reaction Score
My last thoughts are simply that I would have preferred an OC with a track record of production and improvement at any level of CFB. I'm also troubled by the seminal nature of the relationship as his recruiter that led to the hire. It just seems HCBD feels a need to insulate himself with those who will replicate past experience. Would not seem to be a fertile environment for new ideas in a dynamic competitive environment.

I agree, this is absolutely what Diaco is doing. The thing is that this can work., and his mentor Brian Kelly is an example of that. Kelly has clearly has told all of his mentees that this is important. See Butch Jones's OC hire, it's almost the exact same thing, an old retread who hasn't been OC in years. The ties for these guys run deep, and they clearly value it. It's not a reason to dismiss Diaco. It just the way he is choosing to do things. I am not sure I agree with it either, but it can work. All we can do is hope for success and support the hire

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My only early critique of the hire is the lack of play calling experience in Verducci's past.

According to John Silver, Verducci will help with the O-line as well as running backs and overall offensive game plan (obviously, as the Offensive coordinator), there is no clear indication of successful offensive play calling on the staff. As has been said on the board recently (Spackler or Serrano IIRC), play calling is an art form, not a science. Would Coach Diaco entrust Lineburg (Past Coordinator and QB coach) or Patterson (TE Coach) to usurp the Offensive Coordinator in terms of play calling? I sincerely hope not and with only 25 seconds between plays, Play calling cannot be a committee endeavor. I just hope that over the last 31 years, Verducci has perused "Play Calling for Dummies" at least a couple times. On the other hand, I don't remember play calling experience in Shane Day's background prior to October 2013, so who knows?

Contrary to what Spackler says above, I believe we will see more than a glimpse in 67 days, not 200.

Reaction Score
I am guessing Don Patterson knows Verducci. I don't know why but I like DP!!!

Don Patterson has been through it all. He is indeed a calming force for Diaco. Cool as the other side of the pillow and well versed in the Hayden Fry philosophy.

Reaction Score
My only early critique of the hire is the lack of play calling experience in Verducci's past.

According to John Silver, Verducci will help with the O-line as well as running backs and overall offensive game plan (obviously, as the Offensive coordinator), there is no clear indication of successful offensive play calling on the staff. As has been said on the board recently (Spackler or Serrano IIRC), play calling is an art form, not a science. Would Coach Diaco entrust Lineburg (Past Coordinator and QB coach) or Patterson (TE Coach) to usurp the Offensive Coordinator in terms of play calling? I sincerely hope not and with only 25 seconds between plays, Play calling cannot be a committee endeavor. I just hope that over the last 31 years, Verducci has perused "Play Calling for Dummies" at least a couple times. On the other hand, I don't remember play calling experience in Shane Day's background prior to October 2013, so who knows?

Contrary to what Spackler says above, I believe we will see more than a glimpse in 67 days, not 200.

take it for whatever you think it's worth, but I think that if we've got people on the coaching staff waiting until the play clock starts running to decide on the next play call, we are FUBAR. You need to have the play calls ready about 5 minutes earlier than that. By the time the call gets to the huddle on the field, whoever is actually making the calls needs to be 3 steps ahead already.

That said, I firmly believe play calling is overrated. It's the coaching and teaching, and players learning and improving every detail of individual technique in blocking, route running, fundamentals of ball exchange and most importantly ball security, throwing.....etc........it's making that stuff perfect within a basic offensive philosophy and approach, and nstalling team discipline in execution of your fundamental offensive concepts that's important. If you have to resort to creative and/or kooky play calling to have success on offense, that's not a good thing in my opinion. Those kinds of trickery and wrinkles - are most effective, when you are already fundamentally good. We regressed in all aspects of offense last season. Got to get it turned around. And I disagree - the first performance that really has meaning doesn't come until the fall. Everythign up to that point is preparation and planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom