New OC Frank Verducci | Page 10 | The Boneyard

New OC Frank Verducci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a Diaco support post. "I said if I can't recruit this kid, I'm in the wrong profession," Verducci said. "Bob was probably the most unique player I recruited in my 12 years at Iowa. Exactly what you see now, he was that at 17. He was the only recruit I ever had who showed up for an official visit with a suit and tie on."

This tells me exactly how he views and values the position these kids are in. And i tip my cap to coach for this. It is a privilege not a right. These young athletes should be grateful and thankful for the opportunity extended to them. Diaco wasn't exactly a 4 or 5 star recruit but he worked his tail off to be an impact player at Iowa.

Reaction Score
Not sure who HCBD will have calling plays this year but coach Linberg would seem to have the credentials . . .

Lineburg originally came to Richmond in 2010 as the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach and was the interim head coach in 2011.

In 2013, Lineburg's offensive help lead the Spiders to a four-game winning streak at the end of the season, including victories over two ranked teams to close the year. Richmond's offense ranked 24th in the country (441.4 yards per game) in the Football Championship Subdivision - a mark which was second in the Colonial Athletic Association. The Spiders led the CAA in passing offense at 328.2 yards per game.

In 2012, Lineburg helped guide a prolific Richmond offense rank 20th in the nation in passing offense (271.2) and 21st in scoring offense (33.2). Richmond had an 8-3 record and earning a share of the Colonial Athletic Association championship. The Spiders saw two offensive players, fullback Kendall Gaskins and tight end Kevin Finney, earn All-American honors.

Lineburg had twice been the Spiders' offensive coordinator prior to the start of the 2011 campaign, when he continued in that role while also serving as interim head coach. Under Lineburg, senior wide receiver Tre Gray was named Associate Press Third-Team All-American.

The Radford, Va. native had a first stint with Richmond for three years from 2004-06 as the offensive coordinator and running backs coach.

Under Lineburg, the Spiders' posted prolific offensive numbers. In 2005, Richmond gained a school-record 4,957 yards of total offense and scored 44 touchdowns. The offensive unit averaged 381.3 yards per game and ranked 41st in the country that year. Lineburg's offense averaged more than 330 yards per game every year and had an 800-yard rusher each of those three seasons.

Conn Post Article in Paper today by Brian Koonz 2/19/14 - Verducci brings a Buzz..
I couldn't find a down load but, here is what I read...

" I'm more interested in moving forward, " said Verducci, who confirmed he will call the plays at UCONN.

Verducci, a disciple of Charlie Weis at Notre Dame and Hayden Fry at Iowa is better suited to oversee UCONN's offense than his predecessor, Mike Cummings who is now offensive line coach, although he still retains a co-offensive coordinator tag.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Conn Post Article in Paper today by Brian Koonz 2/19/14 - Verducci brings a Buzz..
I couldn't find a down load but, here is what I read...

" I'm more interested in moving forward, " said Verducci, who confirmed he will call the plays at UCONN.

Verducci, a disciple of Charlie Weis at Notre Dame and Hayden Fry at Iowa is better suited to oversee UCONN's offense than his predecessor, Mike Cummings who is now offensive line coach, although he still retains a co-offensive coordinator tag.
is that the same Koonz that slams the program?

Reaction Score
looking forward to seeing how Gil Hodge's nephew can move this team forward.. so far, I like what he's saying.. move forward.

Reaction Score
The full article is in post#221 above

I should have known, not much grass grows beneath your feet. Anyway Great minds think alike, some are just a little slower than others. LOL!

Seriously even though it says's Verducci will call the plays and put his stamp on the game plan, you know there is going to be considerable input from Diaco, Patterson, Cummings and Lineberg. And I would further assume that goes for deviations from the plan when making adjustments during the course of the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I still can't shake this bad feeling in my stomach that this will be Verducci's first time in 30 plus years of coaching that he'll be calling plays.

Reaction Score
I still can't shake this bad feeling in my stomach that this will be Verducci's first time in 30 plus years of coaching that he'll be calling plays.

Yup and I'm not sure this will act as your Pepto Bismol but it's clearly on the table (from Jacobs article):

>>Verducci, 57, will call the plays. He has not done it before in an official capacity. Yet at Florida and Notre Dame he was the offensive line/run game coordinator for another Jersey guy, Charlie Weis, and got a taste

"I learned as much about football from Charlie as anyone," Verducci said. "In coordinating all the protection and the runs, the only thing you aren't coordinating is the passing concepts, but you're involved in that.

"Charlie was extremely gracious. When we got into situations, he'd go, 'Frank, what do you want to run here? What adjustment you want to make?' He gave me an enormous amount of responsibility. It was a wonderful growing experience. He's a tremendous influence in what I'm trying to do offensively here."<<

Reaction Score
Yup and I'm not sure this will act as your Pepto Bismol but it's clearly on the table (from Jacobs article):

>>Verducci, 57, will call the plays. He has not done it before in an official capacity. Yet at Florida and Notre Dame he was the offensive line/run game coordinator for another Jersey guy, Charlie Weis, and got a taste

"I learned as much about football from Charlie as anyone," Verducci said. "In coordinating all the protection and the runs, the only thing you aren't coordinating is the passing concepts, but you're involved in that.

"Charlie was extremely gracious. When we got into situations, he'd go, 'Frank, what do you want to run here? What adjustment you want to make?' He gave me an enormous amount of responsibility. It was a wonderful growing experience. He's a tremendous influence in what I'm trying to do offensively here."<<

Yeah, that's not helping with the indigestion.

Reaction Score

I hope he uses a portion of the Spring Game as a real-time run through for game situations and play calling is done in that mode. If they can get the process somewhat coordinated it there may not be as much to worry about as we have seen in the past. He may not be bringing a dynamic offense to the Rent but he could be the perfect guy to right the ship.

Reaction Score

Since Vertucci is a student of Weiss's offensive philosphy, we can expect that Verducci will favor more of a dual threat quarterback (the reason why Adazio bailed on Tim Boyle). Having said that if Sherriff and even Davis present a significant edge, dual threat wise, as advertised, don't be surprised if Verducci and staff lean more towards the most effective dual threat rather than a drop backPro Style QB. I also expect seeing Dario Highsmith on the QB depth chart as well.

As you can see from the link below, Weiss has changed and sees how the college game is more condusive to a qb who can run with the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...hinks-dropback-quarterbacks-have-been-exposed

Reaction Score
If we see a true freshman RB/CB who was not deemed worthy of a scholarship on the depth chart at QB we have many more problems than I ever thought. Good grief.

Sometimes you just have to pass by the bait...

Reaction Score
I don't think it's bait. I actually think he believes most of the stuff he posts. I let a lot go by without eating.

I do believe that Dario Highsmith could make UCONN's QB depth chart as a Preferred walk on, especially in a run oriented system. I say this knowing full well that the staff is thinking of him more as a special teams player or running back but I still think giving him consideration in a run oriented system is possible.

"Highsmith was being looked at as a running back and a guy who could contribute as a returner on special teams. Other teams viewed him as a defensive back while Army could have him be a quarterback in the triple-option offense."

When defending my stance and rational it may appear that I am a big fan of Highsmith and the truth is, I am not. My position is based on 2 things, 1. lack of depth at the QB position and 2. the fact that everyone has been talking about running the ball 70 % of the time.

If he is not included on the QB depth chart, I will be the first to say I was mistaken. In any event don't be surprised if you see some other fast athlete who may have played QB in high school on the QB depth chart.

Considering how anemic our offense has been we need to keep all options open.

Reaction Score
Anytime you can try and replicate Weis' college teams you have to take that opportunity.

Guy had a huge schematic advantage.

The whole purpose of posting the article was Weiss changing his philosophy on the value of drop back QB vs. a dual threat in college. The article states that he wouldn't recruit Tom Brady in today's up tempo college game. He claims that drop back QB's are too easy to defend.

Yes, no doubt Weiss has had a dismal college head coaching record but he is saying he had to change his philosophy to adjust to today's up tempo college game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The whole purpose of posting the article was Weiss changing his philosophy on the value of drop back QB vs. a dual threat in college. The article states that he wouldn't recruit Tom Brady in today's up tempo college game. He claims that drop back QB's are too easy to defend.

Yes, no doubt Weiss has had a dismal college head coaching record but he is saying he had to change his philosophy to adjust to today's up tempo college game.

The best answer if you are a college football coach to the question:

How did Charlie Weis influence you?

"Who? Never heard of him."

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Since Vertucci is a student of Weiss's offensive philosphy, we can expect that Verducci will favor more of a dual threat quarterback (the reason why Adazio bailed on Tim Boyle). Having said that if Sherriff and even Davis present a significant edge, dual threat wise, as advertised, don't be surprised if Verducci and staff lean more towards the most effective dual threat rather than a drop backPro Style QB. I also expect seeing Dario Highsmith on the QB depth chart as well.

As you can see from the link below, Weiss has changed and sees how the college game is more condusive to a qb who can run with the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000366364/article/charlie-weis-thinks-dropback-quarterbacks-have-been-exposed

It seems intuitive that a mobile quarterback would be more desirable in the College game, but I'm not sure a true dual-threat QB is absolutely necessary.

Due to how sacks are recorded in college (negative rushing yards as opposed to passing yards) it is tough to get a true read on the mobility of any given QB unless you watched a crap ton of college football, and none of us here are Mel Kiper.

Be that as it may, prior to Cozart (277 positive yards in 13 games over two years), Weis did not have a QB with positive rushing yards since Brady Quinn.

2013. Jake Heaps (-167 on 40 attempts)
2012. Danyne Crist (-66 /27)
2011. John Brantley (-120 /25)
2009. Jimmy Clausen (-95/59)
2008. Jimmy Clausen (-73/54)
2007a. Jimmy Clausen (-187/62)
2007b. Evan Sharpley (-95/38)

2006 Brady Quinn (Positive 71 yards on 82 attempts)
2005 Brady Quinn (Positive 90 yards on 70 attempts)

That said, pocket mobility and awareness are absolutely at a premium at both levels of today's game, but the ability to pull a Johnny Manziel or Seneca Wallace is more luck on a broken play than anything else. Don't get me wrong if either Sherriffs or Davis can become the next Russell Wilson, I'm all for it, but I'm not about to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

Reaction Score
The best answer if you are a college football coach to the question:

How did Charlie Weis influence you?

"Who? Never heard of him."

You have a point. He may have been better off just evoking Hayden Fry. Being connected with Charlie Weis doesn't send a warm and fuzzy vibe to UCONN fans.

Again, the point is, Charlie Weis learned the hard way that a QB who can run is much needed in college football unless you can put together the massive depth at Offensive line that an Alabama can.

Husky25

Reaction Score

The move screamed of desperation to me.

Reaction Score
The move screamed of desperation to me.

It screamed of reality to me. Weis's claim to fame was the tremendously successful NE Patriots offense so
it stands to reason that he would run with what made him successful. Obviously he know says the Pro
system doesn't always work in college. Let's hope that Vertucci and company can learn from Charlie's misfortune.
Sorry Charlie!

Husky25

Reaction Score
It screamed of reality to me. Weis's claim to fame was the tremendously successful NE Patriots offense so
it stands to reason that he would run with what made him successful. Obviously he know says the Pro
system doesn't always work in college. Let's hope that Vertucci and company can learn from Charlie's misfortune.
Sorry Charlie!
The heat was turned up under Weis's seat following the 2013 season. He had to try something different to save his job. Only former UConn "Coach" Pasqualoni was more opposed to change. It stands to reason though. Weis spent 15 years as an NFL assistant before getting the Notre Dame gig. Off the field, the two games are completely different.

There is a difference between a drop back passer and a dual thread QB, but there is also a difference between being mobile or a Dual-Threat QB. Tom Brady is absolutely a drop back passer, but he is also very mobile in the pocket. The two are not mutually exclusive either way.

Reaction Score
Charlie Weis, Josh McDaniels, and Bill O'Brien.

Who are coaches that were made by Tom Brady, Alex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom