New OC Frank Verducci | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New OC Frank Verducci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's tough to put too much stock into what he helped accomplish in 1997, as the game has changed so drastically since then. But I do like the following tidbits from Des:

"A closer look at some key eye-catching stats outside of 31 years experience Diaco obviously saw that could help: the Northern Iowa offense led the FCS in red zone scoring at 98 percent.

Verducci was the co-offensive coordinator when UF beat Ohio State 24-17 in that Gator Bowl

Verducci coached the offensive line that helped Emmitt Smith break the NFL rushing record with the Dallas Cowboys in 2002.

In 1997, with Verducci as the run game coordinator at Iowa, the Hawkeyes led the Big Ten in scoring and rushing."

This hire is consistent with my feeling that we are shifting towards a run based read-option style offense. Shireffs and Davis are both runners first, from what I understand. And Boyle had some newly revealed lower leg injury that would help explain why he didn't use his wheels last season. With our stable of RBs, it makes some sense.

A bit under the radar, but I am THRILLED to see this: David Corley who coached running backs will move to receivers and special teams coordinator. Corley will bring some excited energy to ST, an area that we sorely need (I'm talking specifically about our return game). Our starting field position last year was God awful and our PR guys let FAR too many balls hit the ground. I hope to see both areas improve in 2015, even if it simply means that our PR guys fair catch all punts and save 10-15 yards of bounce/roll.

Dooley, based on your logic above, Dario Highsmith has been projected as a special teams player. With our QB shortage I have to think they may give him consideration as a 4th QB. It ads depth to the position and gives us a Deshon Fox type player. I could see him getting game action next year if he is as good as his highlight reel.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Dooley, based on your logic above, Dario Highsmith has been projected as a special teams player. With our QB shortage I have to think they may give him consideration as a 4th QB. It ads depth to the position and gives us a Deshon Fox type player. I could see him getting game action next year if he is as good as his highlight reel.

Anything is possible. We will definitely need to give somebody on our roster some reps at QB and call him a 4th string QB. Our lack of depth at that position certainly warrants it.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Regardless of who was hired, they better execute on Diaco's "vision" for the offense - what he's described has been run-first with downfield attacks - and obviously that hasn't been the case so far, for a multitude of reasons.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yup, we obviously need the OL to perform right out of the gates. We can't afford another 8 week practice season out of them. Run and pass protection need to be at a D-1 level in August, not November. If we can get proper protection, we do have some talent in the skill positions. Now if only we can find a Quarterback.

Reaction Score
This is kinda like that Christmas morning when you were 8, all excited to open the big box. You tear the paper, open the box and find a sweater. It's a nice sweater....but it's still a sweater! You just hoped for something better...you don't know what...but better.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Curious now, with all the changes on O, if something breaks on a JUCO/transfer QB. Someone that can come in and compete for the starting job right away.

Reaction Score
So it appears the plan is becoming clear: we want to be bigger and stronger than you so that you can't run the ball on us, and then when we get the ball we run it down your #$%#$^ing throat. I can get down with that.

Reaction Score
The potential of this BD hire is intriguing. Even if FV hasn't been an OC before, he does have experience running many parts of an offense during his various coaching stops along the way to Storrs. In addition, he has been the coordinator of the running game portion of an offense more than once, so he's virtually been a co-offensive coordinator. Additionally, with his experience at so many levels of both college and pro football and at so many offensive positions, I'm excited to see what he can do here with the young pups we have. I also like that HE'S willing to jump at the opportunity here with UConn! When you consider that he's been involved with so many winning programs, his winning experience and no-doubt....winning attitude could be one of the more under-appreciated aspects of this hire! Welcome aboard Coach Verducci!

Reaction Score
Carl will be happy - he has the Hayden Fry tree in him -
I dont know much about him - actually never heard of him. Resume is somewhat impressive and look - he coached in the CFL as well - Canadian connections.

Wish him the best.

?????

I don't have any interest in Hayden Fry. I wanted an OC with a proven track record of installing successful offenses and the running them. We didn't get that, but recruiting trumps that, and we got a guy that should be able to help out recruiting quite a bit. So I'm not that unhappy.

On offense, we need an offensive concept/philosophy approach to the game that it is complimentary to the defense, the kicking game and our natural geographic advantages. That means running the ball with effectiveness to set up the pass IMNSHO, and this guy appears to be a fit.

In reality, all I want to see is an offense that can execute with some speed, get play calls in and out and line up and play. Not trip over ourselves all over the place and repeatedly chop block and combo block illegally. Is that too much to ask?

The reality, is that if this team is going to turn around and be competitive in 2015, it's not offense or defense that will do it - it's the kicking game. The shuffling of the staff there, I hope works out, and I hope the seniors we do have coming back, embrace that, and turn the kicking units into a mistake free, disciplined unit.

The quickest and surest way to turn a losing program into a competitive and winnign program is special teams. We've reached that low. That's where it starts to build it back up. I hope Coach Booby realizes it.

Reaction Score
I just want to see him get the plays in on time.
I was thinking the same thing along with 4-5 guys coming and out after every play, sometimes well after the previous play ended. Made it hard to get any rhythm going regardless if running, passing or mixed. Hated when we ran wildcat which is a play that you run to catch teams off guard and we take forever to get play in and get snap off and by then the other team made their adjustment.

Reaction Score
But ... it totally refutes the Don Patterson built a GREAT QB position at Buffalo stuff we heard not too long ago. I dunno ...

Patterson could have been schooling Lineberg for the QB coaching slot. Diaco and Patterson had a chance to see first hand, Lineberg's capabilities and obviously liked what they saw. Lineberg brings youth and vitality to the position and perhaps can relate a little better to the young QB's. This coaching staff appears to be a real team, willing to mix things up to achieve the best results. If nothing else, they will serve as an example to some of the players who may be asked to play a different position than was originally intended. Remember, according to Diaco, some of those tight ends are a couple of 5 guys cheeseburgers away from playing the O line!

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
When the Gators hired him-
http://www.gatorzone.com/football/staff/verducci

When the irish hired him
http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011409aac.html

"In addition, the name Verducci in New Jersey high school football is legendary as both his father and uncle were coaching icons. This should aide our recruiting efforts in New Jersey and the Northeast.

He was brought in for 3 reasons:
1) Recruit from NJ
2) Build a run game
3) Help build the O-line with Cummings. This guy has a great resume coaching OL from Joe Thomas to Larry Allen

so now wait a minute - with have a $300,000 a year OL coach that needs help?

Reaction Score
I get the experience he has coaching OL and RBs, as well as recruiting. But it looks to me that for the second year in a row, we will have an OC with little play-calling experience. In 2009 at ND and 2011 at Florida, it looks like Charlie Weis was calling the plays.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
?????

I don't have any interest in Hayden Fry. I wanted an OC with a proven track record of installing successful offenses and the running them. We didn't get that, but recruiting trumps that, and we got a guy that should be able to help out recruiting quite a bit. So I'm not that unhappy.

On offense, we need an offensive concept/philosophy approach to the game that it is complimentary to the defense, the kicking game and our natural geographic advantages. That means running the ball with effectiveness to set up the pass IMNSHO, and this guy appears to be a fit.

In reality, all I want to see is an offense that can execute with some speed, get play calls in and out and line up and play. Not trip over ourselves all over the place and repeatedly chop block and combo block illegally. Is that too much to ask?

The reality, is that if this team is going to turn around and be competitive in 2015, it's not offense or defense that will do it - it's the kicking game. The shuffling of the staff there, I hope works out, and I hope the seniors we do have coming back, embrace that, and turn the kicking units into a mistake free, disciplined unit.

The quickest and surest way to turn a losing program into a competitive and winnign program is special teams. We've reached that low. That's where it starts to build it back up. I hope Coach Booby realizes it.

Confident Carl...

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/the-base-of-hayden-frys-coaching-tree.64202/#post-1051114

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Patterson could have been schooling Lineberg for the QB coaching slot. Diaco and Patterson had a chance to see first hand, Lineberg's capabilities and obviously liked what they saw. Lineberg brings youth and vitality to the position and perhaps can relate a little better to the young QB's. This coaching staff appears to be a real team, willing to mix things up to achieve the best results. If nothing else, they will serve as an example to some of the players who may be asked to play a different position than was originally intended. Remember, according to Diaco, some of those tight ends are a couple of 5 guys cheeseburgers away from playing the O line!

Yeah - thats it...and a demoted O/C as OL coach that needs help.

Reaction Score
I get the experience he has coaching OL and RBs, as well as recruiting. But it looks to me that for the second year in a row, we will have an OC with little play-calling experience. In 2009 at ND and 2011 at Florida, it looks like Charlie Weis was calling the plays.
Hey were uconn, we provide on the job training! !!

I'm only half kidding. If he gets the plays in on time and we limit the stupid penalties that turn a second and three into a second and 8, I will be happy. Those are back breakers when you are as anemic as we are on offense. My expectations have been whittled away that much, that no penalties due to OC ineptitude would make me happy.

Reaction Score

WOW.

If we're playing a true freshman walk-on "athlete" at QB at any point in time next season we should shut the program down. We have 3 scholarship QBs and a preferred walk on QB to play before we would even get to this guy.

Reaction Score
Pretty much agree with others. Not excited, but not totally disappointed. Results matter, not flashy hires. If the results are there, that's all we should all care about.

Reaction Score
can anybody precisely answer why, with this kind of resume, he was at No. Iowa?

Reaction Score
Wait, so we just hired Northern Iowa's TE coach to be the OC?

Northern Iowa is a pretty damn good program for that level, but before I clicked on the article I was expecting to see a poor man's Brian Kelly.

Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01