New OC Frank Verducci | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New OC Frank Verducci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/02/report-verducci-hired-as-uconn.html

>>I spoke to an NFL source who has dealt with Verducci for the last decade or two and he said "it is a great hire, they are jumping in big time with this hire. He'll bring in the third he learned at Notre Dame, Florida and in the NFL and you will see a lot of changes."<<

Also FWIW (and please don't spin the thread out of control because of this tweet)

NDmom 11:36am via Twitter for iPhone
Frank Verducci is a super solid coaching hire by UConn football. Should have an immediate impact there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Obviously wish him great success.

The following is known as a fruit basket dance. Once you move the pear, you have to move the apple, then the banana.

With Verducci coming there has been a shift among the staff, too. Wayne Lineburg, who coached receivers and special teams last year will coach the quarterbacks. Don Patterson who coached quarterbacks will move tight ends and David Corley who coached running backs will move to receivers and special teams coordinator.

Please, I'm just noting the dance, it's not a positive or negative comment. I know some of the Boneyard can read into things.

Reaction Score

The following is known as a fruit basket dance. Once you move the pear, you have to move the apple, then the banana.

With Verducci coming there has been a shift among the staff, too. Wayne Lineburg, who coached receivers and special teams last year will coach the quarterbacks. Don Patterson who coached quarterbacks will move tight ends and David Corley who coached running backs will move to receivers and special teams coordinator.

Please, I'm just noting the dance, it's not a positive or negative comment. I know some of the Boneyard can read into things.
Not really feeling these changes. Thomas Lucas and Noel Thomas developed a lot under Lineburg. But at the same time, I'm excited. This hopefully signals that our QBs will become more aggressive with their feet and the passing offense will focus on getting guys out in space with room to move. Just what I hope this means, at least. ST is nothing new.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Also known as the sliding tile puzzle.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm just curious as to why if you're bringing in a new OC you don't hold off on a lot of shuffling until he has a chance to give some feedback on that. We've seen a lot of shuffling the deck in all areas over the last year. Hope it settles down soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the interview process was used to discuss staff changes. It's not uncommon in interviews for management.

Reaction Score
I like moving Wayne Lineberg as QB coach. He played the position at Virginia , coached QB's and was offensive coordinator at Richmond. I'm thinking that lineberg will be the passing game coordinator while Verducci,more the run game coordinator. We have co-defensive coordinators, stands to reason that may be the case on offense. That's just a guess. I never heard of Frank Verducci but the one things that stands out about him is he has not spent more than two years at any coaching spot since 1998. Let's all hope that all those experiences come together to create an outstanding OC for UCONN. All the best to Frank Verducci and family.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think going back to a run heavy offense is the best bet going forward.

Playing at the Rent lends itself to a run game and ball control offense and with our recruiting it's probably a lot easier to develop quality lineman than to bring in highly sought after Wideouts.

Reaction Score
I never heard of Frank Verducci but the one things that stands out about him is he has not spent more than two years at any coaching spot since 1998. Let's all hope that all those experiences come together to create an outstanding OC for UCONN. All the best to Frank Verducci and family.
One common result I notice in his resume...success!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Not happy, not sad, just have to wait and see. Welcome... Let's get to work.

This is pretty much where I am. I kind of hoped to hear whoever was hired was a young up and coming coordinator with new ideas. I am also a bit surprised on moving Patterson because just a year ago he appeared to be the right guy to develop the QBs. A year later he is moved. Then again...it was a tough year for the QBs last year. It feels like a lot of coaching moves after just one year.

So it's a big wait and see for me. I am still hopeful that BD will get this on track.

Reaction Score
Hey, when you have a chance to hire the Tight Ends and Offensive Tackle coach at Northern Iowa, you do it! ;)
We shall see. He's worked under some reputable guys, but as Jimmy and others mentioned I'm not seeing where in his career he has coordinated and called plays for an offense. I've got no problem with him coming from a smaller school, just was holding out hopes that we would have brought in an existing OC who has been successfully calling an offense. Diaco knows what's at stake (his job) so I'm sure he believes he brought in a guy that will help get wins.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think going back to a run heavy offense is the best bet going forward.

Playing at the Rent lends itself to a run game and ball control offense and with our recruiting it's probably a lot easier to develop quality lineman than to bring in highly sought after Wideouts.
That's not a weak limb upon which to climb. Tim Boyle is the only returning QB and we saw what he offered (albeit, as a 3rd string QB behind a weak offensive line). Sherriffs seems to be a dual threat and the back-up/3rd qb is a freshman. I think there's going to be a lot of handing off this year.

Reaction Score
I like moving Wayne Lineberg as QB coach. He played the position at Virginia , coached QB's and was offensive coordinator at Richmond. I'm thinking that lineberg will be the passing game coordinator while Verducci,more the run game coordinator. We have co-defensive coordinators, stands to reason that may be the case on offense. That's just a guess. I never heard of Frank Verducci but the one things that stands out about him is he has not spent more than two years at any coaching spot since 1998. Let's all hope that all those experiences come together to create an outstanding OC for UCONN. All the best to Frank Verducci and family.

But ... it totally refutes the Don Patterson built a GREAT QB position at Buffalo stuff we heard not too long ago. I dunno ...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It's tough to put too much stock into what he helped accomplish in 1997, as the game has changed so drastically since then. But I do like the following tidbits from Des:

"A closer look at some key eye-catching stats outside of 31 years experience Diaco obviously saw that could help: the Northern Iowa offense led the FCS in red zone scoring at 98 percent.

Verducci was the co-offensive coordinator when UF beat Ohio State 24-17 in that Gator Bowl

Verducci coached the offensive line that helped Emmitt Smith break the NFL rushing record with the Dallas Cowboys in 2002.

In 1997, with Verducci as the run game coordinator at Iowa, the Hawkeyes led the Big Ten in scoring and rushing."

This hire is consistent with my feeling that we are shifting towards a run based read-option style offense. Shireffs and Davis are both runners first, from what I understand. And Boyle had some newly revealed lower leg injury that would help explain why he didn't use his wheels last season. With our stable of RBs, it makes some sense.

A bit under the radar, but I am THRILLED to see this: David Corley who coached running backs will move to receivers and special teams coordinator. Corley will bring some excited energy to ST, an area that we sorely need (I'm talking specifically about our return game). Our starting field position last year was God awful and our PR guys let FAR too many balls hit the ground. I hope to see both areas improve in 2015, even if it simply means that our PR guys fair catch all punts and save 10-15 yards of bounce/roll.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That's not a weak limb upon which to climb. Tim Boyle is the only returning QB and we saw what he offered (albeit, as a 3rd string QB behind a weak offensive line). Sherriffs seems to be a dual threat and the back-up/3rd qb is a freshman. I think there's going to be a lot of handing off this year.

Agreed. We could be looking at our worst group of QBs in D1A history coming into the season. Obviously the Casey injury killed us, but even so our QB play/depth has been consistently abysmal.

Reaction Score
There are 2 ways to beat the spread - try and win a shootout or try and keep their O off the field. The reason Oregin struggles perenially w/Stanford is that they (Stan) use their run game as a portion of their D, keeping them (Ore.) off the field to limit their ability to build the timing that is critical to the strategy. Playing in the NE, on grass, lends itself more to avoiding the B12 strategy (if you cant beat em, join em) versus the SEC, BIG, PAC12 approach (to beat them, make them watch the game).

the shuffling of the staff is interesting in that now every coach can coach every position on the field (w/the exception of Corley, who likely could not make the move to OL/TE). In a sense, we have 4 guys who can coord an O and call plays. I like staffs that are multi-faceted, both from a teaching perspective and from a game planning perspective.

Reaction Score
Hey, when you have a chance to hire the Tight Ends and Offensive Tackle coach at Northern Iowa, you do it! ;)
We shall see. He's worked under some reputable guys, but as Jimmy and others mentioned I'm not seeing where in his career he has coordinated and called plays for an offense. I've got no problem with him coming from a smaller school, just was holding out hopes that we would have brought in an existing OC who has been successfully calling an offense. Diaco knows what's at stake (his job) so I'm sure he believes he brought in a guy that will help get wins.

It's not the guy I hoped for (Quinn) but it's not Charley Molnar either. So we've that to hang our hat on.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Are you saying....

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Interesting his history is slanted towards running the ball.

If your QB's at Dallas were Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson, you'd tell Emmitt Smith to run it every down too!!! ;)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
But ... it totally refutes the Don Patterson built a GREAT QB position at Buffalo stuff we heard not too long ago. I dunno ...
But it's perfectly in line with playing to their strengths (Johnson and Newsome). This doesn't matter to me as much though. If the offensive line doesn't drastically improve, the whole thing is moot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know I am in the minority when I say 'GOOD'.
If I remember correctly that National Championship team ran the ball like 63 times in that game for 296 and beat the wide open offense team.

Sure - stats can be skewed for either persons arguement - I believe in running the ball.
"In 2009, he served as the offensive run game coordinator and offensive line coach at Notre Dame, helping the Irish finish in the top ten nationally in Total Offense. "

Same here. The best way to overcome a talent disparity on offense is to keep your opponents offense off the field. This was the key to FUCHCRE's success.

I'm mildly optimistic. I didn't realize the extent that the PP years wore me down, until last season just broke me. It will be a while before I get sucked back in.

Reaction Score
When the Gators hired him-
http://www.gatorzone.com/football/staff/verducci

When the irish hired him
http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011409aac.html

"In addition, the name Verducci in New Jersey high school football is legendary as both his father and uncle were coaching icons. This should aide our recruiting efforts in New Jersey and the Northeast.

He was brought in for 3 reasons:
1) Recruit from NJ
2) Build a run game
3) Help build the O-line with Cummings. This guy has a great resume coaching OL from Joe Thomas to Larry Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom