New AD? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New AD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
On a separate thought, this guy was obviously on UConn's radar and his agent most likely was spreading the word he was an anxious candidate.

This guy was being vetted and interviewed before Warde took the UM job. No way UConn moves this fast on someone on a strict timeline from Warde's announcement until today.

War Husky???
err...War Dog?

Reaction Score
On a separate thought, this guy was obviously on UConn's radar and his agent most likely was spreading the word he was an anxious candidate.

This guy was being vetted and interviewed before Warde took the UM job. No way UConn moves this fast on someone on a strict timeline from Warde's announcement until today.

War Husky???
I can't see it...Parker gave them 9 candidates to interview according to the Courant...the committee had a criteria and sounds like Benedict absolutely CRUSHED his interview (similar to how Warde had). They brought him back and he CRUSHED it again in front of Herbst and McHugh. Done deal....

Reaction Score
Posted the same on CR and MBB boards but for those who don't venture away from football.

Some quotes with some very positive feedback on the hire from those he worked with, as well as Duke and TCU athletic directors. Starting to like the hire a lot the more I read, well done SH.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/genrel/022916aad.html
What They Are Saying About David Benedict

Feb. 29, 2016
Jay Jacobs, Director of Athletics, Auburn University

"I want to congratulate David and the University of Connecticut on this announcement. David is an extremely talented administrator who brings a wealth of experience from Auburn and elsewhere to the job. He helped us tremendously during his time at Auburn, and we are better for it. David is a great leader but an even better person. I'm happy for him and his family, and I know UConn will be in capable hands."

Dr. Kevin White, Vice President and Director of Athletics, Duke University
"Without question, David Benedict is just an outstanding hire! UConn has made a brilliant leadership acquisition, for David clearly represents an emerging 'pinnacle player' within college athletics! David is incredibly well experienced, and will unequivocally 'over deliver' in each and every dimension of his responsibilities. To that end, in particular, David's unique ability to build both highly valued and sustainable relationships internally as well as externally will serve the Huskies exceedingly well. Finally, there is absolutely no one that is more in touch with the needs, interests, and welfare issues that surround the modern day student athlete than David Benedict."

Chris Del Conte, Director of Athletics, TCU
"Congratulations to the University of Connecticut on hitting a home run with its hire of David Benedict! He will be a perfect fit for the Huskies and Storrs. I have known David for quite some time and he's a winner! He has been in leadership capacities at several of the top Universities in the country and will draw upon those vast experiences. David will serve UConn and its constituents in a first-class manner. I'm very excited for him."

Gus Malzahn, Head Football Coach, Auburn University
"David is a true professional, a natural leader and an outstanding administrator. I've enjoyed working with him during the last two years and I know that UConn is fortunate to have David leading its department moving forward. We wish him and his family nothing but the best."

Shaka Smart, Head Men's Basketball Coach, University of Texas
"David Benedict is a tremendous communicator who understands what goes into winning. He will be intensely dedicated to UConn's student-athletes and coaches and help that athletics program continue to thrive."

Wondering why you left off the Ray Allen quote?

Ray Allen, Former UConn Men's Basketball All-American
"As a member of the search committee, I was highly impressed when I met David. It's very important to me that our Husky student-athletes have a Director of Athletics that understand the needs and challenges of playing college sports at the highest level. I have great confidence that David will provide an atmosphere for student-athletes to not only be successful in sports, but also in life and be prepared for their future."

Reaction Score
My lawyer buddy in Mobile who is highly connected to Auburn athletics (son played football--he has helped negotiate coaches contracts-- etc) just texted me that Benedict is a "perfect fit for UConn for both his overall ability and "great skill" in raising the level and visibility of programs. He also noted that Benedict had "a laser focus on raising fan participation for football at Auburn and will be a big help to UConn as it 'marches to the promised land'."

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs ‏@jacobscourant · 33m33 minutes ago

New UConn AD David Benedict $450,000 salary, up to $100,000 a year in bonuses. $50,000 a year retention bonus if he stays at least 5 years.

Reaction Score
When it was announced my knee jerk reaction was "WHO?" After, reading his background, I'm really liking what he brings to the table. I hope gets a jumbotron even bigger than Auburns.

Reaction Score
I like the fact he'll be proactive and knowledgeable about enhancing the game-day experience for fans , suggesting ways to upgrade the stadium so it's even more inviting, e.g., completing the "ribbon" around the entire edifice, wi-fi, concessions, etc.----plus he'll have a good feel for various design elements in any stadium expansion.

Reaction Score
When it was announced my knee jerk reaction was "WHO?" After, reading his background, I'm really liking what he brings to the table. I hope gets a jumbotron even bigger than Auburns.

If he puts in a jumbotron bigger than AU's, all fans at Rent games will have to wear SPF 70 to keep from getting their exposed skin badly burned. In all seriousness this looks like a very good hire based on what I hear from AU fans here in Birmingham. The only problem will be keeping him for more than a few years. I'm told his family has a strong attachment to warmer weather.

Reaction Score
If he puts in a jumbotron bigger than AU's, all fans at Rent games will have to wear SPF 70 to keep from getting their exposed skin badly burned. In all seriousness this looks like a very good hire based on what I hear from AU fans here in Birmingham. The only problem will be keeping him for more than a few years. I'm told his family has a strong attachment to warmer weather.

I think once his family spends one fall in New England they'll be hooked for life. I mean the only reasons I stay here in Connecticut is autumn and UConn football.

Reaction Score
I have no idea who this guy is as I have never heard of him. My guess is that most of the people writing articles about him don't know him from Adam. I don't know most of the people who are voicing opinions of him. I don't know if his resume is good, awful or run of the mill. I do as a Husky fan wish him every success.

I did read that he married a gymnast. That seems like it would be fun.

Reaction Score
I can't see it...Parker gave them 9 candidates to interview according to the Courant...the committee had a criteria and sounds like Benedict absolutely CRUSHED his interview (similar to how Warde had). They brought him back and he CRUSHED it again in front of Herbst and McHugh. Done deal....

Oh, oh, it sounds like UConn may not have had time to ask for the vital opinion of certain Fairfield County football coaches, we're doomed! :cool:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I like the fact he'll be proactive and knowledgeable about enhancing the game-day experience for fans , suggesting ways to upgrade the stadium so it's even more inviting, e.g., completing the "ribbon" around the entire edifice, wi-fi, concessions, etc.----plus he'll have a good feel for various design elements in any stadium expansion.

I just want some kind of tradition to be established in the gameday experience. The husky walk is a good start, but it's not enough. We need a tradition in the stadium in the form of specific chants, cheers, pre game entrances, etc. When I went to South Bend for a ND game, they did so many things throughout the course of the game that left me wondering, where did that originate from? what does it even mean? was really cool to see all of the different rituals and traditions. the difficult part is that these have to be created while still feeling organic and cool rather than manufactured. Honestly, a good start would be really pushing for everyone to know the words to the fight song (maybe have them on the jumbo tron) and everyone actually singing it as the band plays. Always baffles me that no one cares to sing the fight song

Reaction Score
I just want some kind of tradition to be established in the gameday experience. The husky walk is a good start, but it's not enough. We need a tradition in the stadium in the form of specific chants, cheers, pre game entrances, etc. When I went to South Bend for a ND game, they did so many things throughout the course of the game that left me wondering, where did that originate from? what does it even mean? was really cool to see all of the different rituals and traditions. the difficult part is that these have to be created while still feeling organic and cool rather than manufactured. Honestly, a good start would be really pushing for everyone to know the words to the fight song (maybe have them on the jumbo tron) and everyone actually singing it as the band plays. Always baffles me that no one cares to sing the fight song
How about a Husky sled dog team leading the team onto the gridiron pregame? THAT would be a "good start". Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
How about a Husky sled dog team leading the team onto the gridiron pregame? THAT would be a "good start". Just sayin'.
Like Boomer Sooner!!! I don't think a sled will rollover though.

Reaction Score
I want to see if this guy can help generate enough donations to get that Rent upgraded to a P-5 caliber stadium that the whole state can enjoy and be proud of. Might be nice to come up with a plan to protect the aging fan base from at least some of the elements. Getting that done would go along way in increasing fannies in seats especially later in the year. It's on Diaco to put a winner on the field. Lets see Benedict, Herbst and the state make watching those winners as enjoyable as any place in the land.

Reaction Score
I did read that he married a gymnast. That seems like it would be fun.

I haev a close friend who is dating a former collegiate gymnast who is now a gymnastic trainer/coach. Took him to a UConn game a year or two back, we have quite a few beers. Trust me, dating a gymnast is a LOT of fun. There are a few things he described that I am quite positive are contradicted by the Anatomy 101 course I took at UConn.

Reaction Score
I haev a close friend who is dating a former collegiate gymnast who is now a gymnastic trainer/coach. Took him to a UConn game a year or two back, we have quite a few beers. Trust me, dating a gymnast is a LOT of fun. There are a few things he described that I am quite positive are contradicted by the Anatomy 101 course I took at UConn.

Sounds to me like your anatomy instructor lacked imagination.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom