New AD? | The Boneyard

New AD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good, bad or otherwise, his resume made it through the auto scanner and hit the right keywords.

Personally I've always preferred to see "led" or "leader" to "directed" but that's my bias.

For those paying close attention at home, one of his key accomplishments should make your legs tingle. Guess which one

"We make this announcement with excitement, pride, and tremendous optimism about the future," said UConn President Susan Herbst. "Today's AD must be have the sophistication to manage and closely oversee finance, marketing, media contracts, fundraising and fan engagement, among many other things. And these responsibilities are all secondary to the traditional responsibilities of utmost import: taking care of our student athletes, supporting their academic success, and making sure that our coaches have what they need to compete successfully.

Benedict directed all the day-to-day operations of the Auburn athletic department, with particular emphasis in operational planning, resource allocation, budget development and strong financial management. He led the department in developing strategic long-range plans for a $120-plus million budget, facilities, staffing and accomplishing strategic goals.

He coordinated a five-year strategic plan for Auburn athletics, which featured initiatives for strategic priorities and goals. Benedict directed a team of staff members and coaches in creating a facility master plan and the initiation of a game-day master plan.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
On a separate thought, this guy was obviously on UConn's radar and his agent most likely was spreading the word he was an anxious candidate.

This guy was being vetted and interviewed before Warde took the UM job. No way UConn moves this fast on someone on a strict timeline from Warde's announcement until today.

War Husky???

Reaction Score
Good, bad or otherwise, his resume made it through the auto scanner and hit the right keywords.

Personally I've always preferred to see "led" or "leader" to "directed" but that's my bias.

For those paying close attention at home, one of his key accomplishments should make your legs tingle. Guess which one

"We make this announcement with excitement, pride, and tremendous optimism about the future," said UConn President Susan Herbst. "Today's AD must be have the sophistication to manage and closely oversee finance, marketing, media contracts, fundraising and fan engagement, among many other things. And these responsibilities are all secondary to the traditional responsibilities of utmost import: taking care of our student athletes, supporting their academic success, and making sure that our coaches have what they need to compete successfully.

Benedict directed all the day-to-day operations of the Auburn athletic department, with particular emphasis in operational planning, resource allocation, budget development and strong financial management. He led the department in developing strategic long-range plans for a $120-plus million budget, facilities, staffing and accomplishing strategic goals.

He coordinated a five-year strategic plan for Auburn athletics, which featured initiatives for strategic priorities and goals. Benedict directed a team of staff members and coaches in creating a facility master plan and the initiation of a game-day master plan.

Just wondering why you would make the distinction about "led" being important and then ignore that term twice in the article. One of which is in the piece you copied/highlighted

Benedict led a feasibility study to make renovations to Auburn's Jordan-Hare Stadium that initiated a $150-$180 million project. He negotiated a unique nine-year extension with Under Armour that included both product, cash and $10 million worth of stock. Benedict also is leading a search for a multi-media rights partner that looks to more than double Auburn's current average guarantee.

Reaction Score
Coming from a place where Football is taken seriously, gotta say based on that alone I'm happy. SEC/P5 connections, without knowing anything other than what I read in the Courant, and what Chin posted, I'm impressed.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just wondering why you would make the distinction about "led" being important and then ignore that term twice in the article. One of which is in the piece you copied/highlighted

Benedict led a feasibility study to make renovations to Auburn's Jordan-Hare Stadium that initiated a $150-$180 million project. He negotiated a unique nine-year extension with Under Armour that included both product, cash and $10 million worth of stock. Benedict also is leading a search for a multi-media rights partner that looks to more than double Auburn's current average guarantee.

I missed one of them. It's one of the things we look at in my job when we are screening and interviewing candidates. We often say you lead people and manage (direct) things. It can make for interesting interview responses when you read a person their resume. It goes towards how a person self-identifies their managerial/leadership style. Not a right or wrong answer but it allows us to look for insight in a candidate. I fully realize he didn't write the press release. It came from UConn.

I would have tweaked the verbage a bit if I had a chop on the news release.

Reaction Score

If UConn's using an auto-scanner to parse AD resumes, we have bigger problems . . . :)

I'm cautiously optimistic. The P5 and strategic focus are strong positives. That UConn is citing his financial management as a major reason for the hire worries me a bit.

C

Chief00

I agree an AD with SEC ties is a plus. I have always said the SEC would be the best conference for UConn. It would give the league Northeast TV eyeballs and complement some already traditionally strong basketball programs (UK, FL, GA, TN, Missouri).

Being weak in football is not a big deal - they already have too many tough conference games on their schedules.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I agree an AD with SEC ties is a plus. I have always said the SEC would be the best conference for UConn. It would give the league Northeast TV eyeballs and complement some already traditionally strong basketball programs (UK, FL, GA, TN, Missouri).

Being weak in football is not a big deal - they already have too many tough conference games on their schedules.
This post should 100% confirm that you are trolling us and yet... I think you believe the nonsense that you type.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I like it. Coach's son, college football player, a little business acumen. Solid fundraiser. Number 2 at a football powerhouse - he knows big time football. Also spent time at Minnesota so he's at least had his foot in B1G waters. Biggest negative is the fact that he's not a NE guy - not sure how long he'd stick around if he's any good. Biggest positive is that based on the turnaround and the lack of a connection, he had to have been seeking us out as soon as rumors about Warde started flying. We need someone to see the potential, the opportunity to do B1G things. And he wants to be the guy.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Posted the same on CR and MBB boards but for those who don't venture away from football.

Some quotes with some very positive feedback on the hire from those he worked with, as well as Duke and TCU athletic directors. Starting to like the hire a lot the more I read, well done SH.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/genrel/022916aad.html
What They Are Saying About David Benedict

Feb. 29, 2016
Jay Jacobs, Director of Athletics, Auburn University

"I want to congratulate David and the University of Connecticut on this announcement. David is an extremely talented administrator who brings a wealth of experience from Auburn and elsewhere to the job. He helped us tremendously during his time at Auburn, and we are better for it. David is a great leader but an even better person. I'm happy for him and his family, and I know UConn will be in capable hands."

Dr. Kevin White, Vice President and Director of Athletics, Duke University
"Without question, David Benedict is just an outstanding hire! UConn has made a brilliant leadership acquisition, for David clearly represents an emerging 'pinnacle player' within college athletics! David is incredibly well experienced, and will unequivocally 'over deliver' in each and every dimension of his responsibilities. To that end, in particular, David's unique ability to build both highly valued and sustainable relationships internally as well as externally will serve the Huskies exceedingly well. Finally, there is absolutely no one that is more in touch with the needs, interests, and welfare issues that surround the modern day student athlete than David Benedict."

Chris Del Conte, Director of Athletics, TCU
"Congratulations to the University of Connecticut on hitting a home run with its hire of David Benedict! He will be a perfect fit for the Huskies and Storrs. I have known David for quite some time and he's a winner! He has been in leadership capacities at several of the top Universities in the country and will draw upon those vast experiences. David will serve UConn and its constituents in a first-class manner. I'm very excited for him."

Gus Malzahn, Head Football Coach, Auburn University
"David is a true professional, a natural leader and an outstanding administrator. I've enjoyed working with him during the last two years and I know that UConn is fortunate to have David leading its department moving forward. We wish him and his family nothing but the best."

Shaka Smart, Head Men's Basketball Coach, University of Texas
"David Benedict is a tremendous communicator who understands what goes into winning. He will be intensely dedicated to UConn's student-athletes and coaches and help that athletics program continue to thrive."

Reaction Score
If UConn's using an auto-scanner to parse AD resumes, we have bigger problems . . . :)

I'm cautiously optimistic. The P5 and strategic focus are strong positives. That UConn is citing his financial management as a major reason for the hire worries me a bit.

Connecticut's state budget issues are not a secret and will clearly impact UConn in some way. Most public universities are facing the same challenges. This will only be magnified in a state like Connecticut where academics are valued over the football program, such a skill set to navigate between the two I think is essential.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

At least you realized that was a joke. Some others on this board, I'm not so sure of.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Auburn ranks first in fan experience according to independent SEC survey
(includes link to interview with Benedict)

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/a...xperience-according-to-independent-sec-survey

I threw this little nugget out in one of the other threads about the hire.

From UConn's press release-

It wasn't by accident that Auburn ranks at the top in the category. He saw a need, created a plan and saw it through to a successful completion.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For those who don't want to click on the link regarding the survey-

Benedict gives credit to the AD Jacobs for focusing on fan responses and desires. Hopefully Benedict learned well from him.

According to Benedict, Auburn was ranked first in each of the following criteria after the SEC compiled the results of the survey:

• Clarity of announcer
  • Quality of picture
  • Overall sound
  • Overall announcer
  • Overall video board content
  • Overall ribbon board content
  • Clarity of music
  • Music selection
  • Volume level of music
  • Highlights of other games
  • Display of other football scores
  • Display of team stats
Auburn did not rank in the Top 5 in any of the aforementioned categories during the 2014 campaign, according to Benedict.

“This is (Auburn athletic director) Jay Jacobs’ philosophy,” Benedict told Turnkey Search. “He really focuses on data from our fans on an annual basis after the season to look at how we’re going to invest and what we’re going to do to make the game-day experience better for our fans.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom