ND to Bridgeport? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ND to Bridgeport?

Reaction Score
Like many other posters, I can not understand the fear of ND, Stanford or Tenn in the Bridgeport regionals. UConn has to play somebody. My one concern with this team is having to face a team with dominant BIGS, such as Baylor, MD or SC. If the Huskies beat the Gamecocks on Feb 13 they will earn the #1 overall seed, insuring the easiest path to the FF, whoever they end up playing.

Baylor & MD look like the #2 & #3 seeds right now, putting them on a collision course to play each other in the National semi-finals. If SC loses to UConn, but wins out in the SEC, they will be the #4 seed, which will put them in a bracket with a number of teams that can beat them. If SC gets knocked off in the regionals, UConn should be able to handle whoever they face in the national semifinals. While a rematch with either Baylor or MD would normally be a concern, we all know that Geno never loses in the NCAA championship game.

Finally, if last year's tournament proved anything, it is that any team is beatable, except the Huskies.

As good as you made that sound even if SC loses to UCONN and wins out in the SEC there is a good chance we beat MD out for the #3 overall seed due to our higher RPI. In Fact Maryland hasn't played a team to this point that has a top 25 RPI other then UCONN while SC has played 5 soon to be 7 counting Tenn and UCONN. SC's resume should looking significantly better then Maryland's by seasons end.

Reaction Score
I read this stuff and I wonder. This is UConn. They are from another planet. Alot of great posts here but dont every think UConn will lose. In the last 139 games they lost once and this years team beat Murders Row and hasnt lost. Hey they may lose. But I will bet every game they play and make more money they you do betting they lose. This is a machine. This is a team. This is a well developed destroyer. The only team that could give them a game is Baylor. I dont wanna hear about MD either. We were up 19 pts then just like the ole days at Tenn the fouls piled up and we were defenseless and they caught up but didnt win on their home floor. I like our chance alot.

No love for SC? Wow that really hurts. :(

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You think ND would draw more fans to to the championship game than Baylor would?? ...... in DALLAS TEXAS ?????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Baylor doesn't even draw that well at home for football or basketball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As good as you made that sound even if SC loses to UCONN and wins out in the SEC there is a good chance we beat MD out for the #3 overall seed due to our higher RPI. In Fact Maryland hasn't played a team to this point that has a top 25 RPI other then UCONN while SC has played 5 soon to be 7 counting Tenn and UCONN. SC's resume should looking significantly better then Maryland's by seasons end.
I agree with you on RPI as the SEC is much tougher than the BIG, but I think the only way that SC is 3 & MD is 4, is if MD loses another game, and I don't know that anyone in the BIG is capable of beating them this year.

Reaction Score
Will nd even be a 2 seed? After losing to two un-ranked teams and not showing much leadership on the floor, they should fall out of the top ten ranking as a 3 seed.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Guys, as much as ESPN might want to manipulate the brackets for the sake of ratings, they really don't have that opportunity. The top 16 teams, which usually correspond with the poles, are seeded so that if all the favorites advance to the regionals the 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15 and so on to 8 plays 9. If all the favorites advance again, the 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7 and so on. I believe the only exception occurs with 2 seeds from the same conference. So for instance, with MS St currently ranked 4 & SC ranked 5, if that held, the committee would likely send MS St out West as the 1 seed and move SC to MD's bracket as the 2 seed.
I am surprised you don't know the principles the committee uses. #5 seed will stay with #4 regardless of conference affiliation as they would not meet until the regional final (Elite Eight). The committee uses multiple tools including RPI, Sagarin, polls and eye test as well as "trending". My point is the committee MAY slot a team up one or down one to create interesting games as they do need to draw interest. In my Texas reference it was to have a rematch of an up and coming program that had been throttled the previous year. The game was in CT and Texas by ranking alone would not have matched IN At that slot as they were the 7 seed which should have go against the overall #2 seed SC. They were moved to play CT (if they won) in the elite 8. The committee puts teams in groups of 16 for each region and may swap like seeds from on region to another for a few different reasons. Honestly, as one of the smartest if not the smartest forums, this can't be a new concept here.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am surprised you don't know the principles the committee uses. #5 seed will stay with #4 regardless of conference affiliation as they would not meet until the regional final (Elite Eight). The committee uses multiple tools including RPI, Sagarin, polls and eye test as well as "trending". My point is the committee MAY slot a team up one or down one to create interesting games as they do need to draw interest. In my Texas reference it was to have a rematch of an up and coming program that had been throttled the previous year. The game was in CT and Texas by ranking alone would not have matched IN At that slot as they were the 7 seed which should have go against the overall #2 seed SC. They were moved to play CT (if they won) in the elite 8. The committee puts teams in groups of 16 for each region and may swap like seeds from on region to another for a few different reasons. Honestly, as one of the smartest if not the smartest forums, this can't be a new concept here.
DBB, you'll have to excuse my ignorance regarding the intricacies of the NCAA selection committee's process. Obviously, I have not devoted the attention to that process that you have. The essence of my comments, stated in the 1st line, is that ESPN does not make those selections, as some posters have suggested.

Reaction Score
That's quite a prediction. Strap those spurs on tight!

That won't happen can't see anyone beating us including Miss St. and the SEC tourney is in SC it would be a tough out for any SEC team to beat SC this year

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The objective is to make as much money as you can for the NCAAs. UConn is doing to sell out thats a given and everybodys worst nitemare is to face Uconn in CT. So if the other 3 seeds are Baylor MD and South Carolina I would match them up with against seeds that if possible are close to their regional to draw fans. and take into consideration rivals etc to draw. The objective is to make money and not loose money. JMO. The final if it were today would be to have UConn and Baylor set for the possible final thus keeping them in separate brackets. With that said any team has a chance of making the FF imo except any team facing UConn. I personally dont think there is a team who can beat UConn but UConn could loose if they dont play well or are not healthy. As good as Baylor MD and South Carolina are I dont think they can beat UConn without some help as I mentioned.

UConn is at a different level and one big thing theyve already proven this season that even without height they can beat the best teams because they have athletic ball handlers with quickness and speed. Many teams have slow height. Big slow and non ball handleing height. Many bigs cant shoot from outside 10-15 ft. This is where Uconn has the advantage. UConns post players can move outside and dribble penetrate inside or take the outside shot. With that said it makes it difficult for opponents bigs to guard UConn in the post. Quickness will win over big slow tall players.

Reaction Score
The objective is to make as much money as you can for the NCAAs.

No, the objective to create a fair, balanced bracket.
With that goal, a secondary issue is to keep teams as close to home as possible without violating the integrity of the bracket.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The objective is to make as much money as you can for the NCAAs. UConn is doing to sell out thats a given and everybodys worst nitemare is to face Uconn in CT. So if the other 3 seeds are Baylor MD and South Carolina I would match them up with against seeds that if possible are close to their regional to draw fans. and take into consideration rivals etc to draw. The objective is to make money and not loose money. JMO. The final if it were today would be to have UConn and Baylor set for the possible final thus keeping them in separate brackets. With that said any team has a chance of making the FF imo except any team facing UConn. I personally dont think there is a team who can beat UConn but UConn could loose if they dont play well or are not healthy. As good as Baylor MD and South Carolina are I dont think they can beat UConn without some help as I mentioned.

UConn is at a different level and one big thing theyve already proven this season that even without height they can beat the best teams because they have athletic ball handlers with quickness and speed. Many teams have slow height. Big slow and non ball handleing height. Many bigs cant shoot from outside 10-15 ft. This is where Uconn has the advantage. UConns post players can move outside and dribble penetrate inside or take the outside shot. With that said it makes it difficult for opponents bigs to guard UConn in the post. Quickness will win over big slow tall players.
Agree that UConn is unbeatable with the exception of losing a key player due to injury or foul problems.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unbeatable?

No.
Other than FSU in game 1, what I have witnessed this year is that no team can play with UConn's best 5, including Baylor, ND & MD. I suspect the same will be true for the SC game.

I qualified my remark based on the possibility of injury and/or foul trouble. The Huskies have gotten into foul trouble vs Baylor, ND & MD. If it happens vs SC or in the tournament against a top team, the Huskies are beatable. If not, everyone else is playing for 2nd place IMO.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
A
DBB, you'll have to excuse my ignorance regarding the intricacies of the NCAA selection committee's process. Obviously, I have not devoted the attention to that process that you have. The essence of my comments, stated in the 1st line, is that ESPN does not make those selections, as some posters have suggested.
Olddude I hope I have not offended you, as that was not my intent, more like quiet surprise on the subject. I absolutely agree ESPN does not choose the matchups however their monetary sponsorship does have quiet influence as they do want viewers and the NCAA is trying to grow the game as they have openly stated it doesn't look good when so many empty seats appear at Tourny games. Thanks for the banter.

Reaction Score
That won't happen can't see anyone beating us including Miss St. and the SEC tourney is in SC it would be a tough out for any SEC team to beat SC this year
Pretty Cocky 'tude when the GC's laid an egg <chortle> against the Dukies already, a team they should have beaten handily, even up North. Doubly so given that Missy has beaten Texas and SoCal. While the Lesser Blues may have squeaked by Louisville at home, they lost a close one to NC St, have been DRUBBED by FSU (understandably) and lost to Vandy (not so); USC had no business dropping a game to them.

Maybe that was their hiccup this year, but I'd bet my next basket at Bessinger's that at least one of those games (if there are two) against the Maroons will end in single digits, one way or another.

Good luck, Monday!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
That's quite a prediction. Strap those spurs on tight!

Do you really think Mississippi State is going to beat the Gamecocks in SC this season? The SECT is in SC this year, too, though it will be in Greenville.

Reaction Score
Pretty Cocky 'tude when the GC's laid an egg <chortle> against the Dukies already, a team they should have beaten handily, even up North. Doubly so given that Missy has beaten Texas and SoCal. While the Lesser Blues may have squeaked by Louisville at home, they lost a close one to NC St, have been DRUBBED by FSU (understandably) and lost to Vandy (not so); USC had no business dropping a game to them.

Maybe that was their hiccup this year, but I'd bet my next basket at Bessinger's that at least one of those games (if there are two) against the Maroons will end in single digits, one way or another.

Good luck, Monday!

I agree with you in the fact that SC shouldn't have lost to Duke but all the games the blue devils lost were on the road. SC played Duke in Cameron after traveling 2,000 miles from Mass. to Texas. The team was certainly fatigued and not to mention still gelling intergrating 4 freshman and 2 tranfers. If SC had played Duke at home there's no doubt we'd win but Duke isn't a bad team and could finish near the top of the ACC. For this team to be 16-1 and 6-0 in SEC hascertainly passed my expectations because I thought they would have more losses and experienced more growing pains but I like the fact that we're the underdog and people are counting us out, just wait this teams best game hasn't happened yet and I got a feeling that it's coming soon.

Reaction Score
Me either. ND, Stanford, and the LVs, are not three teams the Huskies want to face in its regional bracket, even in Connecticut.
Are you kidding? It would bring a rush in Uconn fan's heart having them sit on the edge of their seats for 40 minutes for a change. Then FF would be anti climax. The fans who came to the Maryland game already have experienced that feeling this year. It was great to be alive and challenge!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom