ND to Bridgeport? | The Boneyard

ND to Bridgeport?

Reaction Score
After yesterday's loss I have the Irish at #8, which sends them you-know-where ...

Still many games to be played.

upload_2017-1-17_17-4-4.png

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I never would've thought that ND would be as low as #8 overall, but now that certainly looks possible. I don't relish the thought of ND having the chance to play spoiler.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I doubt the committee sends Washington, your only left coast team on the second line east - much more likely they stay west.
By the end of the season, the ACC and Pac12 teams are all likely to have more losses, and I am not convinced that MsSt will escape with just losses to SC or visa versa so it is all going to fluctuate wildly.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't see ND as #8 at the end of the season. If so, that's very disappointing for them.

I'd prefer not to face Tara and the Cardinal. I'd take Miss. State in a heartbeat.

Baylor and, to a lesser degree, Maryland concern me.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
After yesterday's loss I have the Irish at #8, which sends them you-know-where ...

Still many games to be played.

View attachment 18766

I sure hope you're right; after getting shipped to Sioux Falls last season, it sure would nice to be within easy driving distance, especially since the Final Four would require a flight.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I doubt the committee sends Washington, your only left coast team on the second line east - much more likely they stay west.
By the end of the season, the ACC and Pac12 teams are all likely to have more losses, and I am not convinced that MsSt will escape with just losses to SC or visa versa so it is all going to fluctuate wildly.

Two losses to SC - one in the regular season and one in the SECT.

Reaction Score
I'm curious as to why people are worried about playing in the same regional possibly as ND, Stanford and the Tennessee? First off, those teams play this year hve been up and down. Second, the game would be in Connecticut and three, like Geno, I would welcome it. Please explain your cautions?

Reaction Score
I certainly hope not!!!

Me either. ND, Stanford, and the LVs, are not three teams the Huskies want to face in its regional bracket, even in Connecticut.

I never would've thought that ND would be as low as #8 overall, but now that certainly looks possible. I don't relish the thought of ND having the chance to play spoiler.

Come on kids, what is with this??? No attack but its ANYONE, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME. Why should any real fan of UConn be afraid to play anybody in any region???
The most dominate team in ANY sport and fans are afraid to play somebody in their back yard ???? Please, this is embarrassing to have opponents read and bulletin board fodder. OK scolding now....;) ..Show some faith in your team!

Won't happen! The committee wants those 2 in the final.
Monte, again no attack. Did you catch the game? Tenn / ND, both teams showed nothing that would lead anyone to believe either will get past the round of eight.
Yes Tenn was pumped for Pat Day but both teams coaches and star players set a bad example of how the woman's game has progressed.
The committee will want the two best teams in the final and right now unless Muffy can get three wishes from her tuffet ND is not going to a final regardless of the region. I could be wrong, I was once :D I just don't see it...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to why people are worried about playing in the same regional possibly as ND, Stanford and the Tennessee? First of, chances are that we'll only one of those teams because they would have to go through each other before playing Connecticut. Second, the game would be in Connecticut and three, like Geno, I would welcome it. Please explain your cautions?

All three have a history of success against Connecticut. Notes Dame is the most recent team to have continued success against Connecticut and they have a good roster capable of putting up huge numbers offensively. Norte Dame gave UCONN their last two tournament losses.

Tara is one of the best coaches in the country and also has a history of motivating her team to play spoiler in games they were big underdogs for. 2014-15, 2011 and 2018 against UCONN, 2016 vs Notre Dame, etc. They aren't intimidating on paper, but Tara can work up magic and is not someone you'd want to face any earlier than the Sweet 16.

Tennessee is the least intimidating team out of the three, but there is so much history between the programs. Tennessee also boasts the current longest winning streak against UCONN at 3 games, the last time they played was 10 years ago when Candace Parker led the LVs to a win on the road. Tennessee can play up their ability against good teams and you never know which version will show up, but they have some really talented players. They have the ability to be a Final Four team, but they can just as easily may lose in the first round. Playing against an erratic team like that in an earlier round can be quite dangerous for the higher seed.

Reaction Score
LOL. Tennessee under Holly barely has a history of success against Ole Miss, Vandy and Ball State. UConn is a different universe. Diamond will shoot under 25% in that hypothetical game and Mercedes Russell *might* make it past half court on defense twice before she collapses in exhaustion. Let's not even discuss "coaching" since only one team has it. Good guys by 40.

Reaction Score
Not sure this is reasonable. Who wins the SEC? Will South Carolina be able to win it... If not do they stay a 1?
Florida State would make more sense for Kentucky and Washington in California

But again.... What does the remainder of season bring? How many more losses for Tennessee potentially? Mississippi State, South Carolina?? How many times do they play each other?

Reaction Score
Not sure this is reasonable. Who wins the SEC? Will South Carolina be able to win it... If not do they stay a 1?
Florida State would make more sense for Kentucky and Washington in California

But again.... What does the remainder of season bring? How many more losses for Tennessee potentially? Mississippi State, South Carolina?? How many times do they play each other?

If SC doesn't win the SEC then it would be a huge disappointment. Games against MS St and Tenn are at home and the SEC Tourney is in our back yard. MS St is good but I don't think they have what it takes to come in a hostile environment and beat a team that rarely loses at home.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
LOL. Tennessee under Holly barely has a history of success against Ole Miss, Vandy and Ball State. UConn is a different universe. Diamond will shoot under 25% in that hypothetical game and Mercedes Russell *might* make it past half court on defense twice before she collapses in exhaustion. Let's not even discuss "coaching" since only one team has it. Good guys by 40.

Tennessee can be a disastrous team or a dangerous one. Do they stand a chance against Connecticut? Probably not. But assuming they nab a 5-8 seed, they'll be one of the most dangerous 5-8 seeds in the country.

Deshields has the ability to score a ton of points and is extremely difficult to guard if she can hit shots. Russell is a big body who does a good job in the paint and finishing around the basket. Holly is an underwhelming coach, but we saw the turnaround the LVs made last year after losing to LSU and Alabama to finish the regular season. The team that showed up against Ohio State in the Sweet 16 is capable of knocking off most top 5 teams. I don't think they can beat UCONN, but most UCONN fans would rather match up with a different 5-8 seed since the odds of UT pulling an upset are greater than the other 5-8 seeded teams.

Reaction Score
All three have a history of success against Connecticut. Notes Dame is the most recent team to have continued success against Connecticut and they have a good roster capable of putting up huge numbers offensively. Norte Dame gave UCONN their last two tournament losses.

Tara is one of the best coaches in the country and also has a history of motivating her team to play spoiler in games they were big underdogs for. 2014-15, 2011 and 2018 against UCONN, 2016 vs Notre Dame, etc. They aren't intimidating on paper, but Tara can work up magic and is not someone you'd want to face any earlier than the Sweet 16.

Tennessee is the least intimidating team out of the three, but there is so much history between the programs. Tennessee also boasts the current longest winning streak against UCONN at 3 games, the last time they played was 10 years ago when Candace Parker led the LVs to a win on the road. Tennessee can play up their ability against good teams and you never know which version will show up, but they have some really talented players. They have the ability to be a Final Four team, but they can just as easily may lose in the first round. Playing against an erratic team like that in an earlier round can be quite dangerous for the higher seed.

Fair points bballnut. Let me start with ND first. Yes, they field a team that perhaps talent-wise can beat Connecticut but as we seen this year and most recently Monday night's game against Tennessee, they weren't physically and perhaps mentally able to get the job done in the fourth quarter. Now if they have trouble beating Tennessee, they won't beat Connecticut in Connecticut. I'm not sure about MM checking out as was suggested in another thread but I just don't think ND is as good as they were last year.

Yes, Stanford does have the most recent win against Connecticut and they do have a 15-3 record but they too have been up and down. They like ND, have lost to Tennessee and they also lost to Gonzaga and their best win was against Texas. They still have 5 players on the team that beat UConn but that team was better than this one. Also they will face 3 players on UCONN that was there for that lost (Williams, Nurse and Chong) and you better believe that lost is not lost on them or the coaching staff and finally, they won't win in Connecticut. (whew a mouthful)

About Tennessee, they definitely have the physical talent but are very inconsistent (11-6) and some of their losses are mind boggling (Ole Miss, Penn State). They also have a couple of good wins (ND and Stanford). Their problem is mental and coaching imo and with those items I mentioned, won't beat Connecticut, much less stay in the game.

Sorry just don't see any of these teams beating Connecticut in Connecticut.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Come on kids, what is with this??? No attack but its ANYONE, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME. Why should any real fan of UConn be afraid to play anybody in any region???
The most dominate team in ANY sport and fans are afraid to play somebody in their back yard ???? Please, this is embarrassing to have opponents read and bulletin board fodder. OK scolding now....;) ..Show some faith in your team!

Monte, again no attack. Did you catch the game? Tenn / ND, both teams showed nothing that would lead anyone to believe either will get past the round of eight.
Yes Tenn was pumped for Pat Day but both teams coaches and star players set a bad example of how the woman's game has progressed.
The committee will want the two best teams in the final and right now unless Muffy can get three wishes from her tuffet ND is not going to a final regardless of the region. I could be wrong, I was once :D I just don't see it...
The Committee wants the 2 teams which will draw the most fans, and bring in the MOST MONEY!

Reaction Score
Tennessee can be a disastrous team or a dangerous one. Do they stand a chance against Connecticut? Probably not. But assuming they nab a 5-8 seed, they'll be one of the most dangerous 5-8 seeds in the country.

Deshields has the ability to score a ton of points and is extremely difficult to guard if she can hit shots.
Deshields can score a ton of points if she takes a 2 1/2 tons of shots. Her shooting percentage this year is barely 39% for 2's and 30% for 3's. Against typically smothering UConn defense I don't see her even hitting 30% overall.
For some reason, low percentage volume shooters don't impress me at all.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

I could be very mistaken, but this smells to me of pedantry and empty rhetoric. On many occasions, uconn has avoided certain opponents, be it ND 2016, Baylor 2013, or winning-streak-breaking Stanford in a number of tournaments. Sometimes, the chips fall where they may, and we've been fortunate with how they've fallen. If this exposes me to criticism for lauding good fortune, so be it. I don't want more rivalry games or previous season's opponents in the NCAA Tourney.

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
FYI-, facing Tenn, Stanford and ND in the Bridgeport regional would be AWESOME!!
The other beautiful thing about this bracketing, is that we could face the other Huskies (WA) in the final four... I'd actually like to see them make it to Dallas...

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Fair points bballnut. Let me start with ND first. Yes, they field a team that perhaps talent-wise can beat Connecticut but as we seen this year and most recently Monday night's game against Tennessee, they weren't physically and perhaps mentally able to get the job done in the fourth quarter. Now if they have trouble beating Tennessee, they won't beat Connecticut in Connecticut. I'm not sure about MM checking out as was suggested in another thread but I just don't think ND is as good as they were last year.

Yes, Stanford does have the most recent win against Connecticut and they do have a 15-3 record but they too have been up and down. They like ND, have lost to Tennessee and they also lost to Gonzaga and their best win was against Texas. They still have 5 players on the team that beat UConn but that team was better than this one. Also they will face 3 players on UCONN that was there for that lost (Williams, Nurse and Chong) and you better believe that lost is not lost on them or the coaching staff and finally, they won't win in Connecticut. (whew a mouthful)

About Tennessee, they definitely have the physical talent but are very inconsistent (11-6) and some of their losses are mind boggling (Ole Miss, Penn State). They also have a couple of good wins (ND and Stanford). Their problem is mental and coaching imo and with those items I mentioned, won't beat Connecticut, much less stay in the game.

Sorry just don't see any of these teams beating Connecticut in Connecticut.

I definitely agree with all of your sentiments. I don't think any of these teams knock off UCONN, especially in Connecticut. That said, do any of Oregon State/Ucla/Ohio State/Texas/Miami/VaTech/Duke/Louisville scare you more than the three teams mentioned above? If I'm UCONN, I'd much rather face any combo of these teams in the Sweet 16/Elite 8 than Stanford followed by Notre Dame. I think that's the point people are trying to make, these teams are less desireabls to fact but will not be legitimate threats to the Huskies. I do think Notre Dame potentially could be a threat, but they have a long way to go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom