ND to Bridgeport? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND to Bridgeport?

Reaction Score
Wow, I'm a little shocked by some of the comments on this thread... UCONN plays the game, not the opponent... it shouldn't matter who we play.. Geno will have them up for any challenge... Look at how many people thought we'd have a few losses already... What's our record again?? SMH

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well, I gotta tell ya, UConn plays the tuffest defense in WCBB and ND TN and Stanford are not going to beat a healthy uninjured CT team especially in CT. Not gonna happen. Right now it appears the two best teams in WCBB are UConn and Baylor. Barring injuries foul trouble or some crazy something UConn will not loose. Because of their defense they will win.

As for who will be seeded where. I have to agree with the statement the committee wants to make money and putting fannies in the seats does that so teams that draw should be seated close to home against good competition/rivals. Again UConn is 92-0 and this years team is undefeated and beat 8 top teams. Now you can say other teams are better now and that is true however how much futher along has UConn come especially Kia Nurse and Saniya Chong, then look at the non starters for UConn. There are alot of really good offensive teams that can score but their is only one UConn who can keep them from scoring.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, I gotta tell ya, UConn plays the tuffest defense in WCBB and ND TN and Stanford are not going to beat a healthy uninjured CT team especially in CT. Not gonna happen. Right now it appears the two best teams in WCBB are UConn and Baylor. Barring injuries foul trouble or some crazy something UConn will not loose. Because of their defense they will win.
a0d1f7a7de006e8793a6840d5e803ebca4eac4be8c0c7ef48227f73ee7b3a372.jpg

Reaction Score
TENN? Are people really worried about them? Oh yeah, they have DD, the most overrated SG in WCBB. If she duplicates the best game she has had in her college career.... so what. Watch a TENN game and someone please explain to me how they beat UCONN. I didn't see how they beat N.D. , but scoring 7 points in the fourth quarter probably had something to do with it. Maybe N.D. couldn't find the basket. I don't know. But does anyone on the BY think any team can shut down UCONN like that? Foul trouble aside, Baylor and S.C. are the only teams to worry about.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In the unlikely event that Tennessee, Stanford and ND wind up in our regional, Tony will be able to re-sell his tix for 500-750 each, perhaps more and retire to some lovely tropical Isle.

Then our beloved Husky's playing against only two of the three above will certainly demonstrate their prowess by easily advancing to the final 4 having taken out most of the major opposition. With the possibility of an upset or two in other sectors, the final-4 may become a cakewalk.

No worries, piece of cake.

This team and its staff do not have a habit of complaining that the opposition is too stiff.
But I do recall such comments from folks having been sent to our regional in past seasons.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
You think ND would draw more fans to to the championship game than Baylor would?? ...... in DALLAS TEXAS ?????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Of the billions of dollars the NCAA takes in each year, less than 1% of that is from ticket sales. What counts is MEDIA $$$$.

Reaction Score
Yes, ND has had some success over the Huskies in the recent PAST. I believe the all time record is something like 35-11 Huskies, 76%.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Of the billions of dollars the NCAA takes in each year, less than 1% of that is from ticket sales. What counts is MEDIA $$$$.

Dont think it really matters who UCONN plays in the final in terms of MEDIA $$$$

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No.
Its job is to,pair the 2 best teams. Nothing more,
The quotes might need to be parsed as the Tournament seeds in blocks of 4, 1-4; 5-8;9-12;13-16 and will place in geographical regions while keeping a strong eye towards interesting matchups. So yes, if ND is an 8, they could end up in the East Regional Final. All 3 offer uniqueness to be enthralling and attendance is critical to this tournament which is why they host in known hotbeds. The opposite bracket matchup is Baylor-UConn for the Dallas Final. Who could be the other two? FSU, SC, MD or a Louisville/MSU surprise.

Reaction Score
The quotes might need to be parsed as the Tournament seeds in blocks of 4, 1-4; 5-8;9-12;13-16 and will place in geographical regions while keeping a strong eye towards interesting matchups. So yes, if ND is an 8, they could end up in the East Regional Final. All 3 offer uniqueness to be enthralling and attendance is critical to this tournament which is why they host in known hotbeds. The opposite bracket matchup is Baylor-UConn for the Dallas Final. Who could be the other two? FSU, SC, MD or a Louisville/MSU surprise.

Yes, they place teams in regions with a slant towards geography. But there's NO evidence that they keep 2 teams apart just because they are both popular.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Yes, they place teams in regions with a slant towards geography. But there's NO evidence that they keep 2 teams apart just because they are both popular.
Not popular in that we like them, top ranked in that Baylor is the #2 overall seed.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
And yes there is evidence in the committee putting us with Texas for 2 years as a recent example. Again it fit within the seeding so they did the matchup. They don't fudge the groupings of 4 too much.

Reaction Score
Not popular in that we like them, top ranked in that Baylor is the #2 overall seed.

Duh, yes I know that.
But a previous post alleged that the committee would not put ND and UConn in the same bracket because both are too popular. My response was that popularity was irrelevant.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And yes there is evidence in the committee putting us with Texas for 2 years as a recent example. Again it fit within the seeding so they did the matchup. They don't fudge the groupings of 4 too much.

Texas WBB doesn't have a particularly large fan base within the context of other top programs.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Yes, ND has had some success over the Huskies in the recent PAST. I believe the all time record is something like 35-11 Huskies, 76%.

Considering UCONN's win rate has been 94% since 1995, almost 97% since 2008, and over 99% in the last four years, 76% is a scary number in comparison.

Reaction Score
Obviously, this season our path to and through the FF is not quite so well defined as last year. But IF there are any teams we really have to fear I'd prefer to face them on our home turf. I know the down side, but chances are, a team that can beat us early can also beat us at the end of the line.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Like many other posters, I can not understand the fear of ND, Stanford or Tenn in the Bridgeport regionals. UConn has to play somebody. My one concern with this team is having to face a team with dominant BIGS, such as Baylor, MD or SC. If the Huskies beat the Gamecocks on Feb 13 they will earn the #1 overall seed, insuring the easiest path to the FF, whoever they end up playing.

Baylor & MD look like the #2 & #3 seeds right now, putting them on a collision course to play each other in the National semi-finals. If SC loses to UConn, but wins out in the SEC, they will be the #4 seed, which will put them in a bracket with a number of teams that can beat them. If SC gets knocked off in the regionals, UConn should be able to handle whoever they face in the national semifinals. While a rematch with either Baylor or MD would normally be a concern, we all know that Geno never loses in the NCAA championship game.

Finally, if last year's tournament proved anything, it is that any team is beatable, except the Huskies.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I read this stuff and I wonder. This is UConn. They are from another planet. Alot of great posts here but dont every think UConn will lose. In the last 139 games they lost once and this years team beat Murders Row and hasnt lost. Hey they may lose. But I will bet every game they play and make more money they you do betting they lose. This is a machine. This is a team. This is a well developed destroyer. The only team that could give them a game is Baylor. I dont wanna hear about MD either. We were up 19 pts then just like the ole days at Tenn the fouls piled up and we were defenseless and they caught up but didnt win on their home floor. I like our chance alot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Guys, as much as ESPN might want to manipulate the brackets for the sake of ratings, they really don't have that opportunity. The top 16 teams, which usually correspond with the poles, are seeded so that if all the favorites advance to the regionals the 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15 and so on to 8 plays 9. If all the favorites advance again, the 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7 and so on. I believe the only exception occurs with 2 seeds from the same conference. So for instance, with MS St currently ranked 4 & SC ranked 5, if that held, the committee would likely send MS St out West as the 1 seed and move SC to MD's bracket as the 2 seed.

Reaction Score
As for my pedantry and empty rhetoric on this topic I am simply going to say I agree with Geno! ;)

"We're in a good bracket with good teams like everybody else is. Say all you want about who's in a tough bracket, who's not? The bottom line is, starting this weekend everybody will get to a chance to prove whether they belong there or not."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom