ND complaints thread (further merged) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

ND complaints thread (further merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
all that and still lost the big ones... lets find something better to mope about like finding a few bigs

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just thought I'd merge all of the complaints about ND, the refs, flops, ill-timed comments, and other general comments. Then people can revisit the thread from time to time to keep their juices flowing over all the indignities visited upon UConn by ND.

Reaction Score
My favorite flop was at Baylor (I think it was at Baylor anyway) when Stewie yelled at the kid "to get up."

It was Louisville....it was the one that earned her the bench seat bc as she said that, the player she was guarding(Shimmel) drained a 3.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I sat next to some ND fans and before the game, they reminded me that the Irish had played the first part of the season without Achonwa. I think she was out for 6 games or so. So they were confident that the team knew how to play effectively without her.

Reaction Score
I sat next to some ND fans and before the game, they reminded me that the Irish had played the first part of the season without Achonwa. I think she was out for 6 games or so. So they were confident that the team knew how to play effectively without her.

I think that is why the South Bend Tribune was so harsh about the loss ...all year they said they had a great bench...so they wondered where it was....:)

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I think Muffet needs to spend some time during the remainder of Lent reflecting on the sins of jealousy, envy, bearing false witness and lack of charity. Easter is coming after all.

Reaction Score

Then they were truly myopic, pie-eyed types. Achonwa missed the first 3 games, which ND won very comfortably. Only Michigan State could have been considered remotely a decent opponent. Geno already had a good idea of how he was going to attack the Irish on both sides of the floor and Maryland gave him all the confirmation he needed.

Reaction Score
BTW - not that it matters anymore but "the flop" wasn't the only nefarious weapon in the Diggins arsenal.

Let's not forget the ever-popular "let-the-person-dribble-past-you-then-whack-her-on-the-wrist-from-behind-causing-her-to-lose-her-dribble" gambit!!

Frequently effective, rarely called by the referees...

Fans see what they want to see.

UConn fans want to see flops and they see them, real or not. Physics, when a smaller object (say Loyd) runs into a larger one (say Dolson), something gives, usually it's the smaller one.

On the flip side, ND fans are convinced that virtually every screen Dolson set over 4 years was illegal. Best (most amusing) description I saw was that Jerry Kramer and Fuzzy Thurston would have been proud of many of them. For you young uns, those two were NFL Hall of Fame pulling guards on the 1960's era Green Bay Packers.

The reality is in between. Every time a player goes down is not a flop and every screen is not illegal.

Reaction Score
I think that is why the South Bend Tribune was so harsh about the loss ...all year they said they had a great bench...so they wondered where it was....:)

Good bench relative to most teams. UConn is not most teams.

Reaction Score
Then they were truly myopic, pie-eyed types. Achonwa missed the first 3 games, which ND won very comfortably. Only Michigan State could have been considered remotely a decent opponent. Geno already had a good idea of how he was going to attack the Irish on both sides of the floor and Maryland gave him all the confirmation he needed.
I think the whole world knew what Geno's game plan would be. Muffet knew what Geno was going to do. The ND players knew what was coming. There was just nothing they could do about it. Even with Achonwa, I don't think the game plan would have changed all that much. For as awesome as UConn looked, and for as much as they abused the interior, they still only shot 46% for the game so it wasn't like they were lighting it up.

Reaction Score
She looked stunning on the sideline... as did Ivey!

I agree - she's a truly beautiful woman.

u_lvKnaj.jpeg

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Fans see what they want to see.

UConn fans want to see flops and they see them, real or not. Physics, when a smaller object (say Loyd) runs into a larger one (say Dolson), something gives, usually it's the smaller one.

On the flip side, ND fans are convinced that virtually every screen Dolson set over 4 years was illegal. Best (most amusing) description I saw was that Jerry Kramer and Fuzzy Thurston would have been proud of many of them. For you young uns, those two were NFL Hall of Fame pulling guards on the 1960's era Green Bay Packers.

The reality is in between. Every time a player goes down is not a flop and every screen is not illegal.

When the "but, but" thread first came out I thought your first replies were spot on. Here was an OP admitting there was little complaining going on and then practically begging for it to happen. When HuskyNan combined the complaint threads together I thought to myself: "I'm not going to get sucked into that, the sky is blue and bright over Husky Nation. Why on earth is anyone fretting about ND right now?"

Ah, but here you overcome my smugness about being above it all while at the same time showing you are not as unbiased as I suspect you fancy yourself to be. Your last statement is absolutely true. However, both the flop and the screen are perfectly legal college women basketball strategies. Plus, a flop doesn't mean "no foul really occurred," rather it means "selling a foul." Sometimes no contact occurs to precipitate the flop, but usually it does, for in reality there always is much more contact than what theoretically should occur in a "noncontact" sport.

It's also true that some programs practice flopping, some don't. There's nothing wrong with practicing flopping; once again, it's currently a legal part of the game. The Duke men are famous for it; they admitted to having drills for it. In the championship game at least twice Dolson was run into very hard, hard enough to jolt and displace her. If she went down a foul certainly would have been called, but she's been trained to stand her ground and focus on the offensive set. In those same circumstances Achonwa most certainly would have gone down, because she has been trained that way instead. If you doubt that assertion, review any sample of UConn or ND games for how many times Achonwa goes down v. Dolson outside of when they go for a rebound. Once again, there's nothing wrong with Achnowa flopping, or to be trained to do so as long as that's a legal part of the game.

Our coaching staff has attempted to minimize the moving screens by Dolson. ND fans might think with little success, UConn fans might think with great success. Yet coaching to minimize illegal moving screens is different than coaching to positively reinforce legal flops. One consequence is that an impartial observer will indeed see more legal flops from someone like Achonwa than illegal moving screens by Dolson. Your attempt to make an unbiased claim smacks of just the opposite.

If you were to say instead: "Yes we flop, that's a legitimate part of the game, get over it" I would be much more sympathetic to your protest.

Reaction Score
Achonwa - just another player to shut down with our top defense.
I don't think it would have been a closer game. UCONN would have stepped it up.

They clearly slowed things down for strategic reasons with 7-8 minutes to go.
We could see the guards pull back out on breaks to wait for the team and then work the offense.

Reaction Score
They clearly slowed things down for strategic reasons with 7-8 minutes to go.
We could see the guards pull back out on breaks to wait for the team and then work the offense.

Geno did the same exact thing in last year's championship game when they were also up by quite a lot at the time. At just under 7 minutes left in the game Hartley had the opportunity for a quick transition bucket but Geno practically jumped on the court in front of her with his hands up to stop her. I thought it was cool to see the whole bench on the court as time expired. Too bad Morgan couldn't play in this year's final, but what a story to tell for Lawlor and Pulido to say they walked on to the Huskies WCBB team and were on the court when the buzzer went off in the NCAA championship game.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I think Muffet needs to spend some time during the remainder of Lent reflecting on the sins of jealousy, envy, bearing false witness and lack of charity. Easter is coming after all.
Not to mix observances, but she had an Epiphany on Tuesday.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not to mix observances, but she had an Epiphany on Tuesday.

Just to get equal time, this being just before Passover, ND playing the UConn women for the NC was the 11th plague not mentioned in the book of Exodus, but clearly awaiting the arrival on the scene of an undeserving pretender to the throne.

Reaction Score
As discussed in an earlier thread, Michaela's non-contact flop was so ridiculous, that it was totally ignored.
She then sheepishly picked herself up, dusted herself off and raced down-court to pick up the play.

As they say in NZed…to the refs: Good on You!
Probably done in anticipation of today's news: Joyce Center being renamed - "The Flophouse"
and victory march being replaced with:

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
[quote="There's nothing wrong with practicing flopping.[/quote]
Strongly disagree: it is trying to influence the outcome of the game by tricking the referees, it is dishonest and demonstrates a clear deficiency in character by someone who is supposed to be a leader at a Catholic institution.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I beg to politely disagree. Like Walz's strategy against Baylor last year, a coach's responsibility is to, within the rules, do anything he can to help his team win, whether it is to engage in hard physical play that may or may not be considered fouls by the refs, or whether it involves "selling the foul", as diggerfoot so astutely put it in his post. It is up to the officials to determine whether or not a line is crossed. There is some evidence that "flopping behavior" has come to be more recognized and ignored by the zebras. If that trend continues, then floppping will cease to be taught by coaches. A lot of people read the Boneyard; maybe some of the criticism of this strategy that has appeared here has filtered up to decision-making levels. It could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny

Top Bottom