ND complaints thread (further merged) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

ND complaints thread (further merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As discussed in an earlier thread, Michaela's non-contact flop was so ridiculous, that it was totally ignored.
She then sheepishly picked herself up, dusted herself off and raced down-court to pick up the play.

As they say in NZed…to the refs: Good on You!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Upon rewatching the championship game, I had to pause and replay several sequences in which it was glaringly evident that the Notre Dame player was falling down to look as if fouled. Michaela Mowbrey especially. I hadn't really looked at this "technique" deliberately before, but sheesh! Some ND players are totally fakin' it- trying to sell fouls. I know this is nothing new to some, but the first time I really saw it. I just think it is like cheating. I wouldn't want my players relying on that.

It's taught at ND and at Baylor.

Mabrey and Robertson are experts.

But Achonwa was the best. She led ND in charge so taken by far.

Reaction Score
Late in the semi game last year they were flopping every time they took a three. I think it says something about the mentality instilled in the team that they expect the referees to help win games.

Reaction Score
Rewatched game and was disturbede to see McBride walk off the court from a timeout, head hanging down and Achanwa trying to motivate her at the 11:30 mark 1st half score was 22 to 8. I always admired this young ladies
spunk but that did not bode well for her teamates morale.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Rewatched game and was disturbede to see McBride walk off the court from a timeout, head hanging down and Achanwa trying to motivate her at the 11:30 mark 1st half score was 22 to 8. I always admired this young ladies
spunk but that did not bode well for her teamates morale.

I think she was just feeling the pressure and settled down after that time out. She played well and was by far Notre Dame's best player. After that timeout, she settled down and hit her last 4 shots of the half to close the gap before halftime.

She doesn't have the Dolson/Achonwa/Diggins leadership personality but she has always struck me as a great teammate, wouldn't read much into this one moment.

Reaction Score
I thought she played the most inspired ball of any player on nd. Maybe she was feeling the pressure of having to carry the load without much help or intensity from anyone else.

Could be , didn't think of that .

Reaction Score
I like McBride a ton. There's a blue collar feel to her in the same way that Stewart has a blue collar feel. She did seem to start out the game tense, though. There was a moment very early in the game where ND stole the ball, then Kayla accidentally stepped on the sideline. She reacted with so much frustration you'd have thought it was a game losing error late in the 2nd half. She was very amped up, which I believe is great to a point, then becomes counterproductive.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
What Muppet said - and I'm paraphrasing, that it's a shame that the top team or coach in WBB does not have the class that Pat Summit had and it is too bad WBB isn't better represented. She has really surprised and disappointed me, with this classless comment, allowing now the Hate word to be used at the press conference prior to the game, and the entire ND program not clapping for Stewie at the awards ceremony (save Niel Ivey), I really am shocked. I will sleep like a baby- but I am still shocked for a representative of one of the finest Catholic Universities in the country.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
But but but they missed Achonwa, sure. But we missed Nakeisha, Shea, Svet, Kalana, Mel, and others. Injuries happen and good coaches coach beyond them. Or not.
who?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Even such a good coach as Geno could not win an National Championship against Notre Dame in 2001 when Svet and She's were unavailable. If you were implying that a better Notre Dame coach could have won Tuesday night's game without Achonwa, I think that you are quite mistaken.

Very different circumstances. First off, Notre Dame crushed UCONN with Svet/Shea that season by 16 earlier in the season.

Second, Notre Dame played 1 week of basketball without Achonwa and lacked quality post depth to make up for it. UCONN was able to bring in Taurasi, Asjha Jones, and Swin Cash off the bench to replace Abrosimova/Shea. Reimer will be a very good player in the long run and Wright was great in the semifinals, both neither of them are suitable replacements.

I'll also point out, losing Tuck is not remotely comparable to losing Achonwa. Tuck was a solid role player averaging 7.5 points and 2.4 rebounds per game before she stopped playing. A nice contributor who added depth but was not necessary for a title run. Achonwa was the team's leader who averaged 15 points, 8 rebounds and 2.5 assists as a center. She was Notre Dame's Stefanie Dolson, a physical big who helps direct the offense, passes well and finishes around the rim. Not to mention, she was playing the best basketball of her career (20+ points/10+ rebounds in the NCAA tournament) before getting injured. Her presence and skills were invaluable to her team and Notre Dame had just 1 week of practice without her.

All that said, I think UCONN would have won if Achonwa had played. After that championship performance, there's no denying that UCONN was a worthy champion and is one of the best teams ever. For all we know, with Achonwa maybe Notre Dame's attitude is different, maybe players other than McBride show up, and maybe they are able to slow down the post players for UCONN. We'll never know....but in the end, UCONN won the championship and proved to be a really great team.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I will tell you that if you watch last years semi final game w/ ND again. Well before the first half ended, when the game was still a one point game, but we were really stifling their offense, there was such negative energy, negative body language and frustration from Skylar and Natalie A. Mid 2nd half, well before the game was over or out of hand, it was really something to witness more of it- Achonwa and some other players did not even attempt to fight thru or around some threes and it was unbelievable to me. I can't remember ever witnessing things I have seen from ND when things were going tough, a real breakdown of the team.
I can't speak to McBride and this issue, who is absolutely great, and a fierce competitor. But she may just have sensed that our total control of the paint was too much to handle and the handwriting was on the wall very early. ND matched up very bad with us, and the players are not stupid. It was up hill all the way. I have to watch again and look more closely.

Reaction Score
Upon rewatching the championship game, I had to pause and replay several sequences in which it was glaringly evident that the Notre Dame player was falling down to look as if fouled. Michaela Mowbrey especially. I hadn't really looked at this "technique" deliberately before, but sheesh! Some ND players are totally fakin' it- trying to sell fouls. I know this is nothing new to some, but the first time I really saw it. I just think it is like cheating. I wouldn't want my players relying on that.
This is why they beat us two years in the final four... they flop. Diggins was the worst.

I think Geno pointed it out and the Refs became aware of it, because last year in the final four they did it and they did not get the calls.. this year they did not get the calls. But I think they did in the regular season. That is why I have disliked them for so long

Reaction Score
BTW - not that it matters anymore but "the flop" wasn't the only nefarious weapon in the Diggins arsenal.

Let's not forget the ever-popular "let-the-person-dribble-past-you-then-whack-her-on-the-wrist-from-behind-causing-her-to-lose-her-dribble" gambit!!

Frequently effective, rarely called by the referees...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom