NCAA tournament update | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NCAA tournament update

Reaction Score
You are such an idiot. The Italian govt responded to the pressure of the media. That’s why all this is happening. It’s a WAY over abundance of caution driven by fear promulgated by the media and idiots like you who think the sky is falling. It’s pressure that’s causing these actions, nothing more. If this was so goddam bad all of China would have gotten it. Wake up, my god. China did not go on lockdown the second they heard of the first case.
LOL much of china was locked down almost right away! I do business with China and know a hell of a lot more about it than you do. I talk with our Chinese partners every single day

Reaction Score
You are such an idiot. The Italian govt responded to the pressure of the media. That’s why all this is happening. It’s a WAY over abundance of caution driven by fear promulgated by the media and idiots like you who think the sky is falling. It’s pressure that’s causing these actions, nothing more. If this was so goddam bad all of China would have gotten it. Wake up, my god. China did not go on lockdown the second they heard of the first case.

uh, you're right, China ignored it for several weeks until they locked down the Wuhan area over a month ago and it's just getting slowed down the last few days. Not locking it down soon enough was the problem

Reaction Score
70,000 people die each year in the US from the flu. I don’t see anyone panicking over that.

Oh you don't see ads for the flu vaccine every single flu season? You don't see anything in the news about the regular flu? You're being dishonest. Stop lying to try and prop up your arguments.

Reaction Score
LOL much of china was locked down almost right away! I do business with China and know a hell of a lot more about it than you do. I talk with our Chinese partners every single day
Not even close to correct. My girlfriend is from China and her family lives there. We were talking to them every day. They were NEVER quarantined. I’m done w you, you are the dumbest poster on this board.

Reaction Score
uh, you're right, China ignored it for several weeks until they locked down the Wuhan area over a month ago and it's just getting slowed down the last few days. Not locking it down soon enough was the problem

And we'll never tolerate the steps that they took to lock it down because of people like uconngb. So we aren't going to be on the same trend as China. It's potentially going to be worse all at once

Reaction Score
Not even close to correct. My girlfriend is from China and her family lives there. We were talking to them every day. They were NEVER quarantined. I’m done w you, you are the dumbest poster on this board.
Our factories were closed and employees went into multi-week quarantines. It happened. Liar.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

@CL82 posted this in the other thread. I think you @uconngb should take a step back and understand that this is not the flu we are dealing with and those that you are labeling as "idiots" are collectively trying to stay ahead of the curve and save lives.

World Health Organization declares Covid-19 a pandemic.

Italian doctor urged people not to describe Covid-19 as a bad case of the flu.

“Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.” “And there are no more surgeons, urologists, orthopedists, we are only doctors who suddenly become part of a single team to face this tsunami that has overwhelmed us.

Describing every available ventilator as “gold,” Macchini said the doctors and nurses working at his side are exhausted. “I saw the tiredness on faces that didn’t know what it was despite the already exhausting workloads they had. I saw a solidarity of all of us who never failed to go to our internist colleagues to ask, ‘What can I do for you now?’ “Doctors who move beds and transfer patients, who administer therapies instead of nurses. Nurses with tears in their eyes because we can’t save everyone, and the vital parameters of several patients at the same time reveal an already marked destiny. “There are no more shifts, no more hours. Social life is suspended for us. We no longer see our families for fear of infecting them. Some of us have already become infected despite the protocols,” he said. Macchini noted that some of his colleagues have become infected themselves and then infected their relatives who “are already struggling between life and death.”

“Now, explain to me which flu virus causes such a rapid drama. … And while there are still people who boast of not being afraid by ignoring directions, protesting because their normal routine is ‘temporarily’ put in crisis, the epidemiological disaster is taking place. So be patient, you can’t go to the theater, museums or the gym. Try to have pity on the myriad of old people you could exterminate,” he said.

Reaction Score
It's crazier that schools haven't closed
FAR easier to cancel some games than to tell hundreds of thousands of parents they're going to have to manage to work and be at home at the same time.

Reaction Score
FAR easier to cancel some games than to tell hundreds of thousands of parents they're going to have to manage to work and be at home at the same time.
Yes but that's a whole other problem. First world countries should be able to handle a pandemic much more efficiently than we're equipped to do.

Reaction Score
You “ idiots” must be less than 20 years old. Because we’ve been through this before w SARS, MERS, H1N1, etc.......and not a single one of them took down the global economy. Or even came close. Did lots of people die? Yes. Is that horrific? Yes. But the media and social media are dictating public policy here through scare tactics and propaganda. This will get figured out and stopped. Just like every other virus that was going to end civilization. You all need to wake up and stop panicking. Jesus.

70,000 people die each year in the US from the flu. I don’t see anyone panicking over that.

That video about exponential growth that is being shared around makes an excellent point at the end. Cautious tactics by people (washing hands, not touching face) will lower the probability of transmission, and social distancing, quarantines, etc. will lower the number of people each infected person is exposed to. Hopefully that slows the spread of the disease to the inflection point and the disease dies off like SARS, MERS, etc.

The quote: "If people are sufficiently worried, there’s much less to worry about, but if no one is worried, that’s when you should worry."

For this reason, your attitude is incredibly dangerous.

Reaction Score
Our factories were closed and employees went into multi-week quarantines. It happened. Liar.
The factories were closed in China almost immediately and some of the ones I deal with still aren't back at full capacity. Italy was slower to react (and much like the US is doing now) were saying not us, we're better off than China

Reaction Score
The CDC, s much more credible sources then you, disagrees. But good argument. Moron

No, they don't. Their estimated range of deaths for this season which is still going on is 20k - 50k deaths. We're currently a lot closer to 20k than 50k. When the flu was really bad a few years ago 50k died.

This is US only, the numbers are obviously much higher for the whole world.

Reaction Score
The factories were closed in China almost immediately and some of the ones I deal with still aren't back at full capacity. Italy was slower to react (and much like the US is doing now) were saying not us, we're better off than China
Yup hubei is still basically shut down for us and we've had multiple factories have to go back into quarantine because people are still sick

Reaction Score
Yes but that's a whole other problem. First world countries should be able to handle a pandemic much more efficiently than we're equipped to do.
Not trying to pick an argument, but you have responded twice without addressing the point. What's wrong with playing games empty gym, considering the schools aren't yet closed? Honestly curious.

Reaction Score
Not trying to pick an argument, but you have responded twice without addressing the point. What's wrong with playing games empty gym, considering the schools aren't yet closed? Honestly curious.
It's just another potential vector. Eliminating as many as possible should be the goal. This contributes to that goal

Reaction Score

Northern Italian Province Medical Chief Dies

Reaction Score
I don't like alarmism without a plan it's why I tune the media out but we haven't shown we have any sort of national plan, everything is being done at the local level. If you're comparing this to the flu, you are an idiot.

If we have the tournament it seems like it's going to be played in empty arenas.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I posted this in the other thread but it's worth repeating here:

For those who are still in the "overreaction" group - Italy just today published guidance to their hospitals for recommendation on allocation criteria. It is grave - doctors and nurses now have to start to determine who to treat and who to let die.

This is a country that just over a week ago had very few cases. If you think that can't happen here then you're being willfully ignorant.

In a context of grave shortage of medical resources, the allocation criteria need to guarantee that those patients with the highest chance of therapeutic success will retain access to intensive care.

It's a matter of giving priority to 'the highest hope of life and survival.'

Reaction Score
Ah yeah so the media went and bought up all the hand sanitizer lol. People buy bread and milk for snow storms. People are stupid.

I've definitely seen a wide variety of widespread national & local/state media approaches to COVID19 reporting so far...from really good, calm, measured, science-based to slanted, potential hysteria-inducing "reporting".

Some of the people in local & state goverment are "stupid people" that propagate hysteria; others are "not so stupid".

Not attempting to make this political at all. Some of the extreme measures that are being implemented have dubious ability to tangibly affect the overall pandemic unless other measures are also simultaneously implemented.

In the infectious diseases realm (where I work everyday) one analogy we commonly use when trying to maximally affect the problems of antimicrobial resistance and infection prevention is "squeezing the balloon"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If one player on a team tests positive in any tourney, I get the feeling the whole postseason will be cancelled. They'll have to quarantine both teams, officials, coaches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom