NCAA tournament update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA tournament update

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
0 chance they cancel it unless the colleges themselves pull out.

TV contract is just too much money.
The federal government’s stipulation for receiving money so far seems to be broad, “lost revenue due to the virus”. It may end up making more financial sense for them to not have the tournament which would obviously be an attendance flop.

Reaction Score
It’s not that tho.... look what’s happened in China, Italy, other countries around the globe, especially the drain on their health care system. The rates of infection are high Globally and it’s spreading quickly. Having large amounts of people together is the easiest way to spread that. I don’t want to end up like Italy or China and the shutdowns they are facing; it’s pretty serious just because we don’t really know the effects yet. I’d suggest listening to the Joe Rogan podcast on it from today or the Sam Harris one. It’s easy to call it overblown or taking way too much of a precaution, but it’s really one of the few things that can be done to prevent such a widespread so quickly. Seemed overblown to me at first, but the two podcasts really reshaped my thinking on it. Learned a lot from the podcast today, I’d suggest going to listen to it.

It is very real/a cause for concern but it is also overblown. Both can be true. If nothing is done it will spread like wildfire. But there’s no reason for the media to cause panic convincing us this is the end of the world. The fear-mongering induced by the media is more dangerous than the virus itself. Take commonsense precautions and avoid large gatherings of people. If everyone does that the virus will be contained. If they don’t, well that’s a different story.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Would we rather this tournament be remembered for having no fans/not happening or being a huge reason this thing spreads to 100,000s of people?
During the 1917 flu outbreak the mayor of Philly ignored requests to cancel a parade. 200,000 people showed up and 12,000 of them eventually died of the flu. That’s 6% for you death rate nuts out there. In the grand scheme of things, is CV getting a chance to play in the NCAA tournament worth putting 1000s of lives at risk??

Reaction Score
It is very real/a cause for concern but it is also overblown. Both can be true. If nothing is done it will spread like wildfire. But there’s no reason for the media to cause panic convincing us this is the end of the world. The fear-mongering induced by the media is more dangerous than the virus itself. Take commonsense precautions and avoid large gatherings of people. If everyone does that the virus will be contained. If they don’t, well that’s a different story.
Yeah I’m not really watching the CNN, Fox News of the world, they do that for sure to boost their ratings, it’s awful. I just go right to the source, aka the experts in the field. That’s why I suggested listening to Joe Rogans podcast with Michael osterholm whose actually on the front lines of this. If anyone hasn’t listened to it, they should, it was a really good interview I like the way he broke it down with real data, projections, impact on healthcare systems, and debunking myths. His projections were pretty startling. No clue what this means for the actual tournament but it seems like it’s at least trending towards playing in empty arenas. I’m in favor of proactive thinking and measures. Because sure, maybe young people (or kids) won’t get sick/die if they get it but it also means a higher likelihood it gets spread to our more vulnerable community members. That’s the real danger. That and not having enough hospital beds, so hopefully that can be avoided. So I get people’s frustration with the shutting down of these events but look no further than Italy who now is working backwards to prevent it from becoming even bigger. We don’t know what the long term effects are so if it means short term things like shutting off the tournament to the public, I’m in favor of that. For now anyway.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We’ve officially devolved into hysterical people with no backbone who have cast aside any logic in favor of drama. Wash your hands, don’t shake hands, and carry on.
Are you an MD or public health official? You realize the whole population of Italy is basically quarantined. Who knows what makes sense!

caw

Reaction Score
Update: Arizona, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky and a few other schools are debating self-ban from NCAAT due to currently undeclared violations which at this time may, or may not have occurred. All is contingent on NCAA .

Side note: Duke is also debating hanging a banner bc they like meaningless banners.

The above was tongue in cheek, though I could see it happening.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You realize the Italians also switched sides in WWII the minute things got rough.

What does this even mean?

In the most heavily hit province of Italy, 80% of the hospital beds are in use by COVID-19 patients. That's not taking into account any other sick patients, JUST the Coronavirus! Do you think they're all pretending to be sick?

It's amazing how people just bury their heads into the sand in situations like this.

Reaction Score
What does this even mean?

In the most heavily hit province of Italy, 80% of the hospital beds are in use by COVID-19 patients. That's not taking into account any other sick patients, JUST the Coronavirus! Do you think they're all pretending to be sick?

It's amazing how people just bury their heads into the sand in situations like this.
Burying your head means choosing to ignore and not act on information. Hysteria means choosing to ignore information and taking irrational actions based on emotion. You’re an idiot. Understand the information, appreciate that the disease has little serious impact on most cohorts, and take reasonable precautions. So, stop fueling nonsense when you’re a clueless headline reader.

Reaction Score
take reasonable precautions.
If I have a virus for 10-14 days and show no symptoms, what reasonable precautions specifically should I be taking? This virus is so easily spread that those with it are being quarantined. So what should we do for the 1-2 weeks that we have it without knowing?

Reaction Score
If I have a virus for 10-14 days and show no symptoms, what reasonable precautions specifically should I be taking? This virus is so easily spread that those with it are being quarantined. So what should we do for the 1-2 weeks that we have it without knowing?

Wash your hands frequently so you minimize chance you accidentally touch others with virus hands, keep a reasonable distance from people. Don't go to large gatherings, especially if confined in indoor spaces. Stop shaking hands. Work from home if possible. Don't ride public transit. Check your own temperature daily.

The median time to show symptoms is 5 days and 99% of people show symptoms by day 11 I believe. Which is why a 2 week self quarantine for those in contact with a suspected carrier works.

If you do have it, you'll probably infect some of your loved ones, but when you start showing symptoms, you and them both can be quarantined and hopefully they spread it to no people. One way to stop an exponential community spread is by minimizing the spread of the NEXT person.

Reaction Score
Wash your hands frequently so you minimize chance you accidentally touch others with virus hands, keep a reasonable distance from people. Don't go to large gatherings, especially if confined in indoor spaces. Stop shaking hands. Work from home if possible. Don't ride public transit. Check your own temperature daily.

The median time to show symptoms is 5 days and 99% of people show symptoms by day 11 I believe. Which is why a 2 week self quarantine for those in contact with a suspected carrier works.

If you do have it, you'll probably infect some of your loved ones, but when you start showing symptoms, you and them both can be quarantined and hopefully they spread it to no people. One way to stop an exponential community spread is by minimizing the spread of the NEXT person.
In other words, do the things that @BlueDogs seems to be mocking by resorting to WWII jokes?

Reaction Score
Speaking of first four...

"UD also announced it would close campus housing at 6 p.m. Wednesday, two days before spring break begins. The notice gives students less than 24 hours to leave campus housing."

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Burying your head means choosing to ignore and not act on information. Hysteria means choosing to ignore information and taking irrational actions based on emotion. You’re an idiot. Understand the information, appreciate that the disease has little serious impact on most cohorts, and take reasonable precautions. So, stop fueling nonsense when you’re a clueless headline reader.

This is a dumb statement. Young kid gets virus is probably fine for now. But he can pass it on. You cool with his grandparents dying? His aged neighbors?

And are you an expert on viral mutations? What if this thing mutates into something more dangerous to more cohorts? And you've failed to contain it up to that point.

Taking reasonable precautions = stopping the spread as best as you can. Anything else is straight dumbarsedry

EDIT: if a few fans don't attend a f@#$%ing game is that a big deal in teh long run? No. No it's not.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Three weeks ago in Italy there were single-digit confirmed cases, now hospitals are at capacity and the country is in a full quarantine. Tell me exactly how I am overreacting to those two facts.

Reaction Score
Three weeks ago in Italy there were single-digit confirmed cases, now hospitals are at capacity and the country is in a full quarantine. Tell me exactly how I am overreacting to those two facts.
Italians kiss each other on the cheeks. Americans don't

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Site of the NCAA first round

I understand the taking precautions and limiting large crowds. I wouldn't do it, but I'm not in charge. I would be interested in having a reporter ask how they came up with the 250 as size limit. Why not 100? Why not 500? Answer is the number is arbitrary based off hunches or guesses. Wouldn't change anything but I'd like the decision makers to go on record saying their crowed cut off size is based solely on a number that seems to placate the masses.

Reaction Score
I understand the taking precautions and limiting large crowds. I wouldn't do it, but I'm not in charge. I would be interested in having a reporter ask how they came up with the 250 as size limit. Why not 100? Why not 500? Answer is the number is arbitrary based off hunches or guesses. Wouldn't change anything but I'd like the decision makers to go on record saying their crowed cut off size is based solely on a number that seems to placate the masses.

It's not arbitrary based on hunches and guesses. It's arbitrary trying to strike a balance between protecting lives and shutting society down for a month with limited information.

It's often rational to draw arbitrary lines, even if the lines themselves are arbitrary.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I understand the taking precautions and limiting large crowds. I wouldn't do it, but I'm not in charge.

Do you like old people?

I would be interested in having a reporter ask how they came up with the 250 as size limit. Why not 100? Why not 500? Answer is the number is arbitrary based off hunches or guesses. Wouldn't change anything but I'd like the decision makers to go on record saying their crowed cut off size is based solely on a number that seems to placate the masses.

Should be nobody if we are being honest. Essential personnel only.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom