NCAA tournament update | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NCAA tournament update

Reaction Score
Govt officials??? It’s the media whipping everyone into a frenzy. Does everyone realize there are now more people in China that had the virus that now no longer have it, than those that still do?? Of course not, because that does not make for good headlines. Instead we’re focused on the 1,000 people out of 350 million that have it in the US.
And do you realize how quickly that 1000 has grown? And it's an exponential growth which means it's not going to slow down for a while

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How are you idiots so dense? We're barely testing anyone! We don't know how many have it.
Yep, anyone who believes only 1000 Americans have it is dumber than dirt.

I don't like all the panic stuff but I understand it, we're getting no clear messaging from the top. All we should be hearing from is the scientists and the gov't. and they should constantly be updating us. Only things we should hear from the media is repeating the messaging from the scientists and gov't to get the message out there.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
And do you realize how quickly that 1000 has grown? And it's an exponential grown which means it's not going to slow down for a while
The Biogen cases went from 3 last week to 70 this week. Biogen has had to shut down its manufacturing in Rahleigh - thats not media frenzy that's reality! Exposures from that one meeting of 175 people have also resulted in shutting down schools in Norwood MA and Indiana because of incidental contact. Yes the Globe reported on it, but that isn't media frenzy its news!

Reaction Score
Yep, anyone who believes only 1000 Americans have it is dumber than dirt.

I don't like all the panic stuff but I understand it, we're getting no clear messaging from the top. All we should be hearing from is the scientists and the gov't. and they should constantly be updating us. Only things we should hear from the media is repeating the messaging from the scientists and gov't to get the message out there.
I see zero panic anywhere. Morons like uconngb think scientists and health experts speaking the truth are "panicking" because he doesn't like what he's hearing. As you said, they're all a bunch of morons who are about as smart as dirt

Reaction Score
We're going to see the number of cases go up and the mortality rate decline because testing is more readily available. People say that we should be like South Korea or Italy but we're too big. They can stop you on the street because their population is more dense than ours. That being said, glad I'm not flying anywhere.

Reaction Score
Govt officials??? It’s the media whipping everyone into a frenzy. Does everyone realize there are now more people in China that had the virus that now no longer have it, than those that still do?? Of course not, because that does not make for good headlines. Instead we’re focused on the 1,000 people out of 350 million that have it in the US.
Now explain what it was China did to drastically slow the spread?

It wasn't pretty

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not particularly. They tend to mumble, have white paste around the sides of their mouths and take a long time at checkout lines.
Young people are so absorbed with their cell phones they don’t notice that the check out line has emptied out in front of them

Reaction Score
How are you idiots so dense? We're barely testing anyone! We don't know how many have it.

Right. Which means that, in reality there are and have already been probably thousands more people who have Covid 19. That fact is a somewhat comforting thing because currently, our hospitals here have not been inundated with mysterious severe respiratory disease patients with no obvious diagnosis.

What I am saying is that these high probability observations support the hypothesis put forth by many experts that early estimates of higher mortality compared to other coronaviruses and the seasonal flu will not likely be the overall reality of the COVID19 pandemic.

The press release is put out by the governors office in concert with the CT DPH have specifically pointed out this fact.

Again, doesn’t mean ignore it, but temper the hysteria a little bit.

Reaction Score
Right. Which means that, in reality there are and have already been probably thousands more people who have Covid 19. That fact is a somewhat comforting thing because currently, our hospitals here have not been inundated with mysterious severe respiratory disease patients with no obvious diagnosis.

What I am saying is that these high probability observations support the hypothesis put forth by many experts that early estimates of higher mortality compared to other coronaviruses and the seasonal flu will not likely be the overall reality of the COVID19 pandemic.

The press release is put out by the governors office in concert with the CT DPH have specifically pointed out this fact.

Again, doesn’t mean ignore it, but temper the hysteria a little bit.
What is the "hysteria" people keep talking about? The news reporting on what's going on in Italy isn't "hysteria," it's reporting the news. Reporting that it's now classified as a pandemic isn't hysteria. That's also just.... the news

Reaction Score
I see zero panic anywhere. Morons like uconngb think scientists and health experts speaking the truth are "panicking" because he doesn't like what he's hearing. As you said, they're all a bunch of morons who are about as smart as dirt

I think that cancelling CIAC tournaments could be construed maybe not as panic but as extreme over-reaction. As many have pointed out already, the logic is flawed to do that but not do other across-the board large-gathering prohibition measures for the majority of people that would be attending the events

Reaction Score
I think that cancelling CIAC tournaments could be construed maybe not as panic but as extreme over-reaction. As many have pointed out already, the logic is flawed to do that but not do other across-the board large-gathering prohibition measures for the majority of people that would be attending the events
Yes because basketball games are soooo important. People just don't want to sacrifice anything

Reaction Score
What is the "hysteria" people keep talking about? The news reporting on what's going on in Italy isn't "hysteria," it's reporting the news. Reporting that it's now classified as a pandemic isn't hysteria. That's also just.... the news

;)
Hand soap and disinfectant aisle at Walmart:

B2162721-56E1-4EE4-B275-209155160F3D.jpeg

No hysteria there
;)

Reaction Score
Yes because basketball games are soooo important. People just don't want to sacrifice anything
I don't think we disagree on a whole lot, but I, and others, have made the point that if the schools aren't closed, then those kids are not being protected anyway. What's the point of letting the athletes go to school with hundreds of other kids, but not letting them play the game without spectators?

I think they should be playing the games with only officials and immediate family in place. I think that's a thoughtful compromise at this stage. Particularly if it involves 2 school systems that haven't closed?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Harvard just cancelled every sport for the rest of the winter season. Wonder if they know something a person of average intelligence doesn't?

Reaction Score
I don't think we disagree on a whole lot, but I, and others, have made the point that if the schools aren't closed, then those kids are not being protected anyway. What's the point of letting the athletes go to school with hundreds of other kids, but not letting them play the game without spectators?

I think they should be playing the games with only officials and immediate family in place. I think that's a thoughtful compromise at this stage. Particularly if it involves 2 school systems that haven't closed?
It's crazier that schools haven't closed

Reaction Score
No I am not focused on the media which I pay little attention to. I am focused on the lack of testing available to hospitals across the country, I am focused on a President more concerned about the stock market than health and who thinks he is smarter than his scientific experts.
You “ idiots” must be less than 20 years old. Because we’ve been through this before w SARS, MERS, H1N1, etc.......and not a single one of them took down the global economy. Or even came close. Did lots of people die? Yes. Is that horrific? Yes. But the media and social media are dictating public policy here through scare tactics and propaganda. This will get figured out and stopped. Just like every other virus that was going to end civilization. You all need to wake up and stop panicking. Jesus.

Reaction Score
You “ idiots” must be less than 20 years old. Because we’ve been through this before w SARS, MERS, H1N1, etc.......and not a single one of them took down the global economy. Or even came close. Did lots of people die? Yes. Is that horrific? Yes. But the media and social media are dictating public policy here through scare tactics and propaganda. This will get figured out and stopped. Just like every other virus that was going to end civilization. You all need to wake up and stop panicking. Jesus.
"So what if people die"

That's your tl:dr

Reaction Score
You are such an idiot. The Italian govt responded to the pressure of the media. That’s why all this is happening. It’s a WAY over abundance of caution driven by fear promulgated by the media and idiots like you who think the sky is falling. It’s pressure that’s causing these actions, nothing more. If this was so goddam bad all of China would have gotten it. Wake up, my god. China did not go on lockdown the second they heard of the first case.

Reaction Score
Ah yeah so the media went and bought up all the hand sanitizer lol. People buy bread and milk for snow storms. People are stupid.
YOU are stupid and you just made your own argument.

Reaction Score
I don't think people buying stuff they anticipate needing is hysteria and I don't see the "media" doing anything wrong. I'm guessing we're less than a week away from being told to stay home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom