NC St Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NC St Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’d still love for Amari to blossom and have a breakout game that showcases all that potential she has. Shame for such a positive teammate with such potential to struggle to realize it.
I absolutely agree, but 1 or 2 minutes won't let it happen.

Reaction Score
I thought Aaliyah played incredibly well. She outplayed the bigs on NC State by a wide margin. And they are big. River Baldwin is massive. Aaliyah still commits some bad fouls and with Dorka out for a while, we need her to stop doing that so she can stay on the floor. We need her more than ever.
I believe AE's fouls all came in the final 5 minutes which I chalk up to fatigue

Reaction Score
I would love what a few people have been suggesting is for Aubrey to come back. I say this selfishly as a husky fan. It would be great to have her. What an amazing athlete.

Not for nothing but the Color Commentator I think also doing the Texas game (not sure but I think so). But sometimes she says some pretty bizarre things. I won't get into Texas game, but this game at 7:04 Turner fouls Lou picking up her 4th. Brown didn't let the 3pt shooter come down after taking her jumper. It's an "obvious" foul. It’s one that could very easily ;lead to injury. I can't believe the Color Commentator didn't see it but worse than that made it sound like it should have been a no-call. -- LOL -- Nuts. .

Reaction Score
Aubs can come back next year, if she wants, and possibly the following year. She gets a year for Covid and possibly a year for back surgery.
Isn't the rule that you have 5 years to play 4 seasons? Next year would be her 5th year. My understanding is Covid didn't add any more time in which you could complete your eligibility, just that the 2020-21 season doesn't count against it, so you could play 5 seasons in 5 years if you wanted.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
It is interesting that UCONN was favored by 9 points over #3 Texas, but was only favored by 2 1/2 over #10 NC State today.
Do you think Dorka's absence influenced the pointspread?
Next time, take the spread and run with it.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
On a bad note before the game I hoped for a body in every seat, too many empty, looked bad on the broadcast.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
My impression is that while the 4 seasons of play can be done in 5 years...it also can be done in 6....perhaps
requiring a special application by the player.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If you didn’t watch the Stanford - South Carolina game won by SC in overtime, you missed a great game. It wad much better than ours. SC gutted it out. Stanfod went cold in the 3rd qtr, and SC closed the gap.

Stanford made two critical mistakes in the closing moments in regulation and overtime. Tennessee loses to unranked UCLA. A great day for WCBB.
IMO Stanford lacks a point guard and players who can create their own shot. Only Jones and Brink seem to be able to create their own shot

Reaction Score
Last year it was often the case that UConn had rather lackluster play in 3rd quarters.
So far in our first two important games UConn put each game away in the 3rd quarter.

Once again the enjoyment of a win by UConn is enhanced by a same day loss by
Tennessee (this time to UCLA). Sweet.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I always thought it was 3 points
They have a column HFA = Home Field (court) Advantage and it varies by team. The highest is 3.0 Oral Roberts and the lowest is 2.6 for CS Sacramento.

Reaction Score
If you didn’t watch the Stanford - South Carolina game won by SC in overtime, you missed a great game. It wad much better than ours. SC gutted it out. Stanfod went cold in the 3rd qtr, and SC closed the gap.

Stanford made two critical mistakes in the closing moments in regulation and overtime. Tennessee loses to unranked UCLA. A great day for WCBB.
1) How do you not get the ball in bounds?

2) How do you not tell your players in the huddle you have no time outs?

3) Even more key was Jones missing the free throw at the end of regulation.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
geno is great. i think he calls the role for practice, sees who is there and moving around at better than a hobble, then sez, 'u. u are some kind of guard or whatever, for this game, stand near the rim and do stuff. today, u are a center. u, ur some kind of wing thing. forget that, today, go stand around in the backcourt, and just pass it when it's in ur hands. u, ur some kind of all purpose superstar, sit next to me. those people out there are gonna need a rest or 2.'
yep, geno is great.

' ayanna, go out there, just grab the ball anytime u see. do that.'
ayanna gets out there, grabs like 50 boards in 8 seconds, runs over a few people accidentally in the process. coach b like 'good job!'

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I have read all these comments and I agree with most of them, but I don't think there has been enough praise for Aaliyah Edwards's performance against NC State. With Dorka out and no other experienced players in the front court, Aaliyah had to play big, and she absolutely did. Her 12 rebounds (4 of which were offensive) was more than any single NCST player, and they have several big ones. The best rebounding effort by the Wolfpack was 9 (just 2 offensive) by River Baldwin in 21 minutes.

In addition, Aaliyah had 20 points and 4 assists. I was watching her foul totals. She had absolutely ZERO in the first 34 minutes, and then picked up 3 in the final 6 minutes -- possibly fatigue and possibly just deciding to be aggressive since she wasn't in foul trouble. But during the portion of the game where she couldn't be on the bench because of fouls, she wasn't. If only she could inject that skill into Ayanna Patterson.

As I've said elsewhere, Ayanna is good enough to play big minutes if she could just stay out of foul trouble. That was the case again today. She picked up 3 fouls in 11 minutes -- an unsustainable rate. But during those 11 minutes, she got 5 rebounds (2 offensive) plus an assist, a block, and a steal.

The eye test tells me that she is a really STRONG rebounder, stronger than anyone who has played at UConn since Morgan Tuck, maybe even Tina Charles. I would say her game looks like that of Asjha Jones. If that's true, it's quite a ceiling.

@CocoHusky: Do you still think that Aaliyah will never be as productive as Morgan Tuck was in her senior year? So far this year, she's looking a lot like Morgan to me.

Reaction Score
I could see something going on after the National Anthem on the court but it wasn`t clear what it was until it became clear. It was very scary. The players ran off the court and most of them were crying. It crossed my mind that they might call the game. There was a ten minute delay so the players came out and got more shots up. But everything felt uneasy given our worries about Chris Dailey.

Driving home I listened to Bob Joyce interviewing Morgan Valley (he usually interviews Chris Dailey) and Morgan was very reassuring about the health of Chris. Thank God.

With Dorka out and all that going on, it would have been understandable for UConn to come out flat. But Aubrey was in the starting lineup for the first time in forever and she was not about to let that happen as she led the charge to a 9-0 opening lead. It is great to see her out there playing at such a high level. It was NC State that looked flat.

This was a TEAM effort. Everyone did what they do best.

Lou had a crazy game. She looked like she didn`t belong to be out there in the first half, and then she goes off for 20 in the second. She just keeps playing. I was happy to see her continue to let it fly.

A few words about my fav, Nika. First, in recent years I have observed UConn guards having struggles getting the ball into the post. Tonight, Nika made a number of perfect interior passes into the post with Aaliyah - great angles and placement. Aaliyah did her part as well, solid post ups. But where Nika really shines is in the open court. I try to watch closely and try to see what she is seeing, and she is always looking, while moving forward left or right, setting things up so that when she finally delivers the pass the player will be open. Very intuitive, great feel. Her pass at the end of the first half to Edwards is not one that very many players could make, and it got us up 7.

She had 15 assists but there were also occasions where she got the ball to teammates in perfect position and they were fouled while shooting. So that 15 could have easily been 17 or 18.

I thought Aaliyah played incredibly well. She outplayed the bigs on NC State by a wide margin. And they are big. River Baldwin is massive. Aaliyah still commits some bad fouls and with Dorka out for a while, we need her to stop doing that so she can stay on the floor. We need her more than ever.

NC State has a lot of talent but we were playing much harder. They didn`t seem to push the ball on offense and on the defensive end, there was virtually no pressure on the ball. We seemed to get where we wanted to get and had plenty of open shots, both inside and outside. We had 13 steals to 3 for them and they only had 9 assists to our 22. Both testament to how we were far more active.

I also thought we finished around the rim better than we had in our previous two games.

Prayers up for Chris, and onto Oregon.
What game did you watch, AE didn't commit her first foul until well into the second half. She knew she was needed to be on the floor the whole game and she stepped up and didn't start committing fouls until the game was out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom