Muffet's Presser | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Muffet's Presser

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Muffet does have a tendancy to ruminate on dissappointments, without thinking, while the microphone is on. We all remember the blowup that occurred between Geno and Muffet when Stewie won player of the year and, rather than congratulting Stewie, Muffet proceeded to complain about the fact that her player had not won the award.

I don't believe she does it deliberately. She just can't help herself.

Reaction Score
Geez...was UConn even in this game... I don't think Muffet gave any credit to UConn for her loss. At least up to 4 and 1/2 minute mark according to Coach Muffet...the loss had nothing to do with UConn it was all about what ND didn't do. Finally, at 5:20 some props for Gabby. Also thought there was a little tongue in cheek from Muffet as she thought her players should have gotten to the foul line more..she said, that her players were fouled on EVERY play.

She's not UConn's coach, why should she comment on the game as if she is? Is she supposed to say that ND played great and still lost? If she didn't think ND played great -which she obviously didn't- she is going to focus more on that. Saying one's team played badly is not disrespecting the other team.

Reaction Score
On the one hand we say teams need to believe they can beat UCONN in order to actually beat UCONN (this belief would presumably require a strong focus on what the team can do to make that happen). On the other, we expect them to gild the lily when they lose? We want it all: the already beautiful win and the additional glitz of the loser focusing on how we made them that way?

Regarding the passing reference she made to the refs, that was hardly the main theme of her remarks. I doubt it would have come up if she weren't prompted by the reporter. Most of the reporters either loaded their questions or posed false choices. I'd hate to go through an interview after a tough loss with such poorly phrased questions.

Her comment about Gabby may have seemed qualified but it was accurate even in its qualification. Gabby has been amazing all year but last night was wonderfully of another order altogether. She just kept elevating--literally and figuratively. If Gabby's game last night were something she has had every time she goes out on the floor, Geno would be hugging her every night. And he'd be calling her play "magnificent" every night.

Give me a strong-willed rival over an invented villain any day.
Yes! We want it all...and we want it NOW!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
In my opinion, Jordin Canada and Tyra Buss are better point guards, just not surrounded by the talent that Allen is at ND.

Buss is a scoring guard who can pass. She averaged 4.36 assists last year...and 3.66 turnovers (while taking 13 shots per game).

This year, she is playing off ball, as Alexis Gassion is handling more of the facilitating while Buss focuses more on scoring. Buss is still averaging over 3 assists per game (and 2.5 turnovers per game), but she is shooting the ball MUCH better

Now, Indiana is not loaded with talent the way some other schools are. But to be a great point guard - and certainly better than Lindsey Allen, as you opined - I believe that she needs to tighten her handle significantly while making the players around her better. And the fact that she is playing more off the ball, to focus on scoring is maximizing what she does best, while still allowing her to pass to lead to assisted baskets...but without the responsibility of being the primary facilitator/playmaker for others (as opposed to facilitating for herself).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'm grateful for the salt and stone of MM's temperament in these competitive contexts: it's a measure of how invested she is in this particular game, in her team and in the sport. Wouldn't want it any other way. To call her willful focus on her own team "passive-aggressive" assumes that her proper attention should be UCONN. The amazing game UCONN played spoke for itself. MM knows that. But why should she focus on it? UCONN's amazing game was a determining factor, but it wasn't the only one. ND didn't help themselves in a variety of ways.

On the one hand we say teams need to believe they can beat UCONN in order to actually beat UCONN (this belief would presumably require a strong focus on what the team can do to make that happen). On the other, we expect them to gild the lily when they lose? We want it all: the already beautiful win and the additional glitz of the loser focusing on how we made them that way?

Nice post. You wrote everything I would have and phrased it much better than I would have.

Reaction Score
I'm grateful for the salt and stone of MM's temperament in these competitive contexts: it's a measure of how invested she is in this particular game, in her team and in the sport. Wouldn't want it any other way. To call her willful focus on her own team "passive-aggressive" assumes that her proper attention should be UCONN.
No need for us to keep litigating this episode. But since I introduced the term passive-aggressive (not the first time I've used it about her), just to say that I didn't apply it to expectations that she should have praised UConn. Rather, it was the sly way she fielded the question of the imbalance of foul shots and therefore the implication that ND lost for reasons outside their control. My other--completely unrelated--point was that common politeness is to acknowledge that the other team just played better.

Reaction Score
She was pretty complimentary in these press conferences from 13 and 14. It's bizarre how sensitive fans of our program -the most dominant in the history of the sport- seem to be.

Reaction Score
MM sounded clueless (also classless) and wanted to blame the loss on fouls not being called! I know Geno would not blame it on fouls and learn from the game whether we win or lose - I guess that is the difference between a great coach and a decent coach. Also, I believe if ND played the schedule UCONN has played so far, they would have multiple losses. ND really only plays UCONN and DePaul and maybe Wash though I am not convinced Wash is better than our unranked game against Kansas State this Sun.

Because ND plays Duke, Louisville, UNC, etc., in conference games. I believe Muffet said they tried to schedule Baylor, Texas, or Texas A&M for their game in Houston and nobody wanted to play them (I assume this was a recruiting move by ND, which was why they didn't want to).

Reaction Score
Because ND plays Duke, Louisville, UNC, etc., in conference games. I believe Muffet said they tried to schedule Baylor, Texas, or Texas A&M for their game in Houston and nobody wanted to play them (I assume this was a recruiting move by ND, which was why they didn't want to).
Baylor and Texas didn't want to play them because they already had UConn on the schedule.

Reaction Score
Baylor and Texas didn't want to play them because they already had UConn on the schedule.

Well then maybe we should be criticizing their coaches rather than Muffet. I think it is pretty silly for fans here to suggest that ND avoids playing the good teams (also, you can't know which teams will be good each year, with a few exceptions such as UConn). They play us every year. They have a relatively tough conference schedule.

I think the main reason Baylor and Texas didn't want to play them was that they didn't want to get ND attention in Houston for recruiting purposes (if the game wasn't a home-and-home).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well then maybe we should be criticizing their coaches rather than Muffet. I think it is pretty silly for fans here to suggest that ND avoids playing the good teams (also, you can't know which teams will be good each year, with a few exceptions such as UConn). They play us every year. They have a relatively tough conference schedule.

I think the main reason Baylor and Texas didn't want to play them was that they didn't want to get ND attention in Houston for recruiting purposes (if the game wasn't a home-and-home).

ND's recruiting motives behind its Houston game would explain why the game was scheduled at a facility that is otherwise used solely for high school games.

Plus, is it normal for coaches to go so far out of their way to schedule a homecoming game for non-seniors?

Reaction Score
ND's recruiting motives behind its Houston game would explain why the game was scheduled at a facility that is otherwise used solely for high school games.

Plus, is it normal for coaches to go so far out of their way to schedule a homecoming game for non-seniors?

Well, if Baylor or Texas beat ND, which given what happened yesterday seems entirely plausible, what are they afraid of?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Not sure about who really wants to play whom, but I have trouble with the idea that Baylor & Texas were concerned about ND recruiting in their backyard when the Huskies are developing a pipeline into TX (Mo, Gordon & Collier) and they don't seem to have a problem playing UConn.

Reaction Score
Well, if we're thinking that ND wanted to fly the flag in TX for recruiting purposes (and that sounds right to me), can I ask why Geno agreed to schlep all the way to Kansas right after traveling to Indiana and during finals period? Has he ever recruited in Kansas or does he just like spare ribs?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
ND really only plays UCONN and DePaul and maybe Wash though I am not convinced Wash is better than our unranked game against Kansas State this Sun.

Both Massey and Sagarin have Washington ranked #8. For what it's worth, those computers rank K-State 22 (Sagarin) and 20 (Massey).

ND has played the 9th hardest schedule by Sagarin's methodology, and the 3rd hardest by Massey's methodology. So while ND's schedule has not been as hard as UConn's, it has not been soft either.

I do think the computers tend to overrank mid-majors but Green Bay is also top-20 in both computer rankings (Sagarin 13, Massey 18).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well, if we're thinking that ND wanted to fly the flag in TX for recruiting purposes (and that sounds right to me), can I ask why Geno agreed to schlep all the way to Kansas right after traveling to Indiana and during finals period? Has he ever recruited in Kansas or does he just like spare ribs?

I'm sure recruiting had something to do with it, but I really do think wanting to play a game in Turner's backyard was at least part of it. All of ND's other players are from somewhere within or very close to the ACC footprint.

Reaction Score

It's virtually impossible to keep top programs like UConn, ND, Stanford, etc...out of the state. The success of the programs puts them on the players radar. Tx and Baylor trying to not to schedule to keep them out of the state would not work. If they want to keep kids in state they just need to win. Most players would prefer to stay close to home if the opportunity to win a NC was good.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Both Massey and Sagarin have Washington ranked #8. For what it's worth, those computers rank K-State 22 (Sagarin) and 20 (Massey).

ND has played the 9th hardest schedule by Sagarin's methodology, and the 3rd hardest by Massey's methodology. So while ND's schedule has not been as hard as UConn's, it has not been soft either.

I do think the computers tend to overrank mid-majors but Green Bay is also top-20 in both computer rankings (Sagarin 13, Massey 18).
While I appreciate the analysis, as you point out, SOS is an imperfect measurement, particularly relative to mid-majors. It is difficult to take seriously any outcome, by a top 10 program, that is not vs a Power 5 conference team, UConn, Depaul & maybe South Florida. There is just too much of a disparity in talent.

Reaction Score

I don't know if it's normal, but ND has for many years in both men's and women's basketball attempted to schedule a game near a player's hometown at some point during their 4 year career. I know Digger Phelps did it back when I was a student in the late 70s. An example on the women's side occurred a couple years ago with Natalie Achonwa when the Irish played a game against Duquesne in Toronto.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Bria Hartley freshman game where she pretty much carried the team. Geno gave her a hug and kiss after the game. It was well earned for both Bria and Gabby.

I forgot about that !! You're absolutely right.

Still, Geno's hugs are rare as hen's teeth :p

Reaction Score
  1. So I am inclined to give Muffet and all of the other frustrated coaches a pass on less than gracious behavior when it comes to the Huskies.
Now would Geno give his players or assistants a pass on "less than gracious" under any circumstances? Perhaps that's why his teams win. No allowances. Consistent high expectations.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
While I appreciate the analysis, as you point out, SOS is an imperfect measurement, particularly relative to mid-majors. It is difficult to take seriously any outcome, by a top 10 program, that is not vs a Power 5 conference team, UConn, Depaul & maybe South Florida. There is just too much of a disparity in talent.

I don't know. The power 5 are generally more athletic. But shooting is a talent, too. I think Green Bay are easily more talented than say, Wake Forest or Clemson.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't know. The power 5 are generally more athletic. But shooting is a talent, too. I think Green Bay are easily more talented than say, Wake Forest or Clemson.
Agreed. There certainly are exceptions.

Reaction Score
Gee Muffet, we're also bummed. Traveled a long way and thought we'd get a game. At least you are gracious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom