Muffet's Presser | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Muffet's Presser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geez...was UConn even in this game... I don't think Muffet gave any credit to UConn for her loss. At least up to 4 and 1/2 minute mark according to Coach Muffet...the loss had nothing to do with UConn it was all about what ND didn't do. Finally, at 5:20 some props for Gabby. Also thought there was a little tongue in cheek from Muffet as she thought her players should have gotten to the foul line more..she said, that her players were fouled on EVERY play.

Agreed.............so this vaunted Notre Dame offense which had been rolling like a well oiled machine all of a sudden starts running on empty against the Huskies......amazing that she just couldn't bring herself to say that some of their offensive woes were caused by the UConn defense........really unsporting to say the least

Reaction Score
Thinking the same thing....all their fault they lost and no credit to UConn. And I was also thinking that if Lindsay Allen is the best point guard in the country, then it's a down year for point guards. She's good but I think I can find better.

Reaction Score
We should be gentle. Muffin was experiencing a sugar crash after all those cream puffs and cupcakes.

And for the trolls who have been championing other major power's confectionary schedules: this is why you play talented teams.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FWIW, I think she was fine. What was she supposed to say? "Well we lost by 11 points at home to a young UConn team that will only get better through out the season. This was our best chance to beat this team. I guess it is back to the hunt for second place."

Nope, you say that we didn't execute our game plan and we'd like another shot at them.

Reaction Score
Muffet really looked disconsolate. I think this is the first time in the last four years that she expected to beat UConn. And the loss is really eating at her. And, as others have written, she could have given UConn a little more credit.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Just leaving this here for comparison's sake…similar situation, the aftermath of a disappointing 12-point loss in December. Not a particularly fun night to relive if you're a UConn fan, but if you can bear watching just the first two or three minutes, I think there's a fairly stark difference between this video and the one at the top of this thread.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Thinking the same thing....all their fault they lost and no credit to UConn. And I was also thinking that if Lindsay Allen is the best point guard in the country, then it's a down year for point guards. She's good but I think I can find better.

In my opinion, Jordin Canada and Tyra Buss are better point guards, just not surrounded by the talent that Allen is at ND.

Reaction Score
A good loss for Muffet. And they will be better next time, bench Agumbawale when her forced shots don't fall. But they've ridden her aggressiveness so they let her fire away. They won't lose again if they let Allen control the ball distribution. ND's record in the ACC speaks for itself and they will be there at the end. They had the horses, the crowd and they didn't deliver. Credit the tougher team with the better defense. Muffet is not good chewing their butts and it showed. UCONN rose to the occasion and ND didn't. A remarkable demonstration of resolve over circumstance.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Just leaving this here for comparison's sake…similar situation, the aftermath of a disappointing 12-point loss in December. Not a particularly fun night to relive if you're a UConn fan, but if you can bear watching just the first two or three minutes, I think there's a fairly stark difference between this video and the one at the top of this thread.

thats against Stanford not Notre Dame... different respect for/from the coaches

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
why do people expect the other coach to kiss anyone's a**... lucky she didnt say "frick UConn and the plane they flew in on". Geesh this isnt a beauty pageant.

She gave props to Gabby, gee whiz (or is it wiz)!

BTW Where is southbendtim?

Reaction Score
In blaming the loss entirely with regard their team's failures.
Muffet misses (or intentionally disregards) the fact that ND's substandard effort was largely caused
by the superior grit and execution of the UConn bunch

Muffet, look at the bright side. After last night you can still say,

IMG_0402.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I really appreciate the video Jimbo shared of Geno's presser - I was out of the country at the time and never saw this before. Shows Geno at his best. Thanks for sharing it.

Having said that, I must admit to being in the minority and not finding MM's comments as offensive as do some others. There's a huge difference in circumstances when explaining a loss when you have been the top dog (and I happen to believe that Geno was relieved that the streak was over so he wasn't upset) and explaining a loss when you've been second fiddle for a long time and you've just lost a game you had expected to win - which she out and out admitted.

Another factor - I've done several dozen media interviews in my career. Sometimes what you say and the general flow of your comments are dictated by what the reporters are asking and how they are asking their questions. I know she has done hundreds of these before and can help control how things go - but still .....

Last, do we know for certain that the clip of her comments showed the entire presser? It seemed an unusual opening to start her remarks that way. Is it possible she had an earlier statement that was more gracious?

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
We should be gentle. Muffin was experiencing a sugar crash after all those cream puffs and cupcakes.

And for the trolls who have been championing other major power's confectionary schedules: this is why you play talented teams.

A REALLY GOOD POST THX

Reaction Score
IMO UConns quickness and speed forced ND into rushing. ND has many players who are slow and cant guard UCOnns quickness. UConn is really good. ND is good but not quick and doesnt have great ball handlers . UConn beat ND off the dribble and on defense UConns quickness and speed killed ND. MM talks about frustration it was caused by a weak schedule and again UConns quickness and speed.
I like everything about this post, but want to make one small modification; ND has some good ball handlers, but no good ball handling BIGS. Gabby, Pheesa, and Lou are all at least 6' tall (I don't buy the Gabby 5'11" thing) and can all handle the ball. ND has Young (6'0") only who can do so, and she plays a classic 2; none of their taller players are ball handlers.

Reaction Score
Muffet was fine. Yes she is surprised about fouls, but go look at the box scores of games where ND won against UConn. A lot of these games over the past 5-6 years have come down to the free throws. I thought the game was called a little tight in the opening minutes, but otherwise was overall fair. Many of UConn's free throws came late in the game while a UConn player was in the act of shooting. Muffet may find this curious, but if your player makes contact with a shooter, the shooter's going to the line 99% of the time, and UConn shoots free throws better than ND does anyway.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
They won't lose again if they let Allen control the ball distribution. .

I'm one who admires Allen.
I'm surprised that Geno gives her as much space as he does w/o picking her up.
A little more pressure up-court may render her less effective.

But that one-tick pony of passing over the head of the D to get an easy bucket from Turner, sure didn't work very well did it?

Works against most everyone else, even against the big 'uns
Not very well against Gabby.

Reaction Score
I seem to recall watching Saniya get an elbow to the nose (accidental I am pretty sure) and I only heard about the apparent shot Gabby took to the throat area so when the replay comes up we'll look harder for that. But the bottom line is MM is coming across as a whiner, it was after all her home game so if anyone was likely to catch an edge.....

I do think that the team is rapidly establishing their own identity with a NEW big three but maybe we should go to four with Kia being a major factor more often than not in many different ways. Short bench? Not a problem, Geno workd well with 7 and who knows how the others will develop once we get into the bulk of the AAC schedule.

Reaction Score
why do people expect the other coach to kiss anyone's a**... lucky she didnt say "frick UConn and the plane they flew in on". Geesh this isnt a beauty pageant.

She gave props to Gabby, gee whiz (or is it wiz)!

BTW Where is southbendtim?

I certainly don't expect MM to kiss anyone's a** but what I would hope is that she would recognize that the other team had something to do with the loss. I said other "team" not just one player. For instance, she says over and over that they could not get the ball into the post ... well, part of the reason is that UConn played active and tough post defense (the other part is perhaps that MM has not drilled her team enough on when and how to get the ball into the post ... but she would of course not mention that).

I get it. Her press conference should not turn into a UConn love fest. But I thought she boarded on disrespectful ... to her players. Because when you give the other team little to no credit (and you as the coach don't shoulder any of the fault) you are saying by implication 'our loss is ALL ABOUT our team playing badly.'

Look I will lose no sleep over MM and Notre Dame (unless we play them again in the tournament) but I do believe the coach should give a fuller -- but not unbiased -- description of BOTH teams' play.

Reaction Score
I seem to recall watching Saniya get an elbow to the nose (accidental I am pretty sure) and I only heard about the apparent shot Gabby took to the throat area so when the replay comes up we'll look harder for that. But the bottom line is MM is coming across as a whiner, it was after all her home game so if anyone was likely to catch an edge.....

I do think that the team is rapidly establishing their own identity with a NEW big three but maybe we should go to four with Kia being a major factor more often than not in many different ways. Short bench? Not a problem, Geno workd well with 7 and who knows how the others will develop once we get into the bulk of the AAC schedule.

Gabby got clothes lined. Words can't describe her outstanding performance last night!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting Java. Muffet's confused on why Connecticut shot more free throws than her team. Well, once she "watches" the tape, she'll realize that most of her team fouls were on three things:

1. Too many bumping/physical fouls in the lane
2. Fouls on drives to the basket
3. Blocking fouls trying to draw offensive fouls.

When you add those up, the free throws add up. Now why didn't ND shoot many free throws.

1. Player control fouls (charging fouls drawn on UCONN) just changed the possession.
2. Connecticut just don't foul when being attacked.

Now keep in mind that ND was called for FOUR more fouls and shot 16 fewer free throws. Drive to the basket, get fouled shooting and get your free throws.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Looking for somewhere to post this and after Muffet's comment on looking into the fouls - 8 of Uconn's foul shots came in the last 2 minutes of the game when ND was in desperation mode and over the limit - 4 fouls and 8 shots. So for 38 minutes the totals were: 15 fouls each, and Uconn 12-12, ND 4-8 on FTs. If you look at the whole of the fourth quarter as ND being more aggressive in trying to overcome a constant 6+ point deficit ND committed 9 of their fouls in the fourth quarter, Uconn only 2. So entering that fourth quarter the foul count was Uconn 13, ND 10 and Uconn shot 13 of their foul shots in that quarter so for three quarter Uconn had shot 7-7 and ND had shot 2-4. That is not a lot of foul shots for either team - 2 shooting fouls for ND and 3 for Uconn plus an 'And 1'

Is Muffet right in saying more fouls could have been called - give the whistle happy nature of the refs in the first half thankfully there were no more foul calls.

Reaction Score

Thank you for posting this. What a contrast! Geno lives in a larger world.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't agree with the majority interpretation of Muffitt's comments, especially about the role of the UConn defense. If you listen carefully, she said that UConn's defense took away passes to Turner from the point guard. According to her, they expected that, and their offensive plan was that their wings (presumably Westbeld and Mabrey primarily) would instead make the passes to Turner. Those passes were open (according to Muffitt) and the players just didn't make them, which was the main cause of her disappointment.

I haven't reviewed the video to see if that is an accurate account, But she certainly wasn't arguing that UConn had nothing to do with their offensive woes, only that ND (its wings specifically) didn't execute the game plan against a defense that they had anticipated.

Of course, if that is true, maybe it has something to do with the fact that they had played a rather unchallenging schedule prior to this game, so their wings would not have needed to do what was being asked of them in this game, certainly not against a challenging defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom